Page 25 of 72 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by couch1970 View Post
    Are you sure it's asking you for PID? Because, all the FREE mobi files I have work fine with it...and do not ask me for PID...
    Some publishers are producing "free" mobi files that are DRM encrypted and cannot be used in pReader at this point. Please read posts 468 and 479 for more info.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Hi-

Maybe I'm doing something wrong and someone can point to a link or two for me, but I'm not able to get the PRC/PDB file s for my ebooks (actually- ANY of them copied out of the Backup folder in PalmDesktop) to open out of the media/internals/ folder. I can see 'em and import them... And they show in a list in PReader, but when opened they are symbol/character gibberish...

Help!!

Mike
    __
    Michael Compeau
    Red Zen Marketing . posterous . com
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MCompeau View Post
    Hi-

Maybe I'm doing something wrong and someone can point to a link or two for me, but I'm not able to get the PRC/PDB file s for my ebooks (actually- ANY of them copied out of the Backup folder in PalmDesktop) to open out of the media/internals/ folder. I can see 'em and import them... And they show in a list in PReader, but when opened they are symbol/character gibberish...

Help!!

Mike
    Check what you have for encoding in pReader. I've found that "Latin," which appears to be the default, makes a mess of my books (I get the Euro symbol often). Switched to UTF-8 and it cleared up.

Might try that, or ASCII, or maybe one of the others.
  4.    #484  
    Good news everyone!

I just released v0.7.7 to the AppCatalog and the PreCentral feed. It should arrive on the former in a few days.

This update is mostly a UI overhaul. The new features/fixes are:

1. The pReader's now themable. That means you can select colours, text sizes, fonts, etc. and store them under a label. Then you can change it with a few simple taps either from within the Preferences, or the Reader itself.
    2. The app menu was cleaned up a bit to make place for the theme-switching.
    3. The leftmost and rightmost belt-bar button can now be re-assigned to a variety of functions. You can select from activating autoscroll, bookmarks, themes, find and the encoding changer.
    4. Tapping & holding the upper part of the screen will toggle fullscreen mode now, while the lower part will toggle the belt-bar as usual. Of course, this only applies for the non-landscape modes, since fullscreen mode only applies to them anyway.

Do note that the online help is not yet covering those changes, since I want to know what you're thinking about it before committing the changes to the online help in the next version.

Happy reading!
  5.    #485  
    Quote Originally Posted by MCompeau View Post
    Hi-

Could you send us one of those files, or a link to one? That'd greatly help us with debugging.

There are a number of reasons why it produces gibberish. For one, they could be in a format pReader thinks it can understand, but actually doesn't. But it could also be merely due to a non-latin encoding, as Squeff pointed out.

Another possibility is that the files for some reason start with a certain sequence of three bytes (the so called Byte Order Mark), which wreaks havoc, since there's a bug in one of the API functions provided by Palm.

Of course, if we'd have access to one of those files, we could do more than just guess around in the dark.
    I had a question about the way pReader handles certain HTML tags. I'm a big believer of being able to read my ebooks on whatever device I want to read them on, so I tend to convert all of my books into HTML. From that point, I can then convert them into almost any other format that I want to use. My preferred format is Mobipocket, and it's a simple matter to import an HTML file into Mobipocket Creator, which will output a DRM-free .prc file. What this means is that I have a great deal of control over what HTML tags are used in my books and I can adjust them when the output doesn't look the way I want it to be. Lately, I've been playing with different tags to figure out how pReader handles things, and one of the issues I'm having is with being able to center text. Anything that has a header tag (<h1>, <h2>, etc) can also have an align="center" and it will center properly, but if you have <p align="center">, it will not be centered. Actually, what seems to happen is that whatever you have set in the text display preferences (justified, center, left, right) is how the text will display. Which is great when there's simply a <p> tag and the author hasn't specified a preference - this lets the reader decide how they like their books to display. But when the author has specified a particular format, it seems to me that it shouldn't be overridden like this.

I can get around the above issue by simply changing certain tags to header tags, but there are a few other tags that I wish were supported, specifically: <blockquote>, <ul>, and <ol>. Also, I searched this thread and I didn't find any mention of hyperlinks as a possible future enhancement. pReader recognizes <a href> and <a name> tags and turns the tagged text blue, but tapping on them does nothing. I'm not looking to be able to use these types of tags for external references, but for an internal table of contents. Is this something that's even possible to add?

Another thing that may not even be possible to add is a page break. Most of my Mobipocket and eReader books have a page break between chapters. Mobipocket uses either <mbp:pagebreak/> or <br style="page-break-after:always" />, while eReader uses either \p or \x (if you're using PML to create the ebook). I'd much rather see support for the blockquote tag, but page breaks would be kind of nice.

Lastly, now that you've added DRM support for Mobipocket books, I've been downloading and reading some of my books without converting them to HTML and cleaning them up first, and I've run into some books where every sentence runs together without any line breaks. Basically, an entire chapter is one paragraph. When I convert them to HTML, I can see that the original file is using <div> tags instead of <p> tags. This isn't an issue for me, since as I've mentioned, I have the ability to edit my files so they have the correct tags, but I'm sure there are other people out there that are running into this issue.

I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining. pReader is a fantastic app, and I thoroughly appreciate all the work you've done. I've just been saving up these questions for a while. Thanks for listening!
  7.    #487  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Lately, I've been playing with different tags to figure out how pReader handles things, and one of the issues I'm having is with being able to center text. Anything that has a header tag (<h1>, <h2>, etc) can also have an align="center" and it will center properly, but if you have <p align="center">, it will not be centered.
    Yeah, that's because the pReader drops p-tags and replaces them with normal line breaks. The simple reason is that p-tags are horribly, horribly broken. And I don't just mean because they may be used unbalanced, but because the way the WebKit engine of WebOS decides to render them.

Basically, text that is enclosed in p-tags is not only spaced apart with one or two linebreaks, but they're also indented on both sides. And since the pReader has to make sure that all tags are opened and closed properly on the start and end of the page (which is an unavoidable drawback to the paging algorithm of the pReader), that means you get two linebreaks at the beginning of each page, and at the end of each one.

So instead of using 100% of the screen, the WebKit engine leaves a space on all four borders of the text. As such, we avoid p-tags like the plague, since their use as text-separation is replicated with the linebreaks and their indentation not sane on such a small screen.

Of course, you pointed out an important special case: When the user specifies a p with align=center, we should create a matching "center", or "div align = center" tag, and the same for the other align-attributes. Of course, then the p-tag simply HAS to be balanced, or otherwise the rest of the book will suffocate in center tags. Whoever thought unbalanced tags were a good idea, and that they may be freely mixed with balanced tags should get a sound beating.

I can get around the above issue by simply changing certain tags to header tags, but there are a few other tags that I wish were supported, specifically: <blockquote>, <ul>, and <ol>.
    Blockquotes suffer from pretty much the same problems like the p-tag. They create a large border around the entirety of the text. It would be okay if they'd just create an indention on left/right, but they also generate linebreaks at the start of the page.

As for the lists, well, here, the problem is "guilt by association". Unnumbered lists (UL) are in and of themselves no problem. But numbered lists (OL) are. The reason is again how the pReader paginates the book. Since each tag has to start and end on the same page (because that's all the text WebOS gets from us), the numbering would start at "1" again on each page.

But you're right, instead of ditching them completely, we should simply accept that quirk, or simply convert them all into the less problematic unnumbered lists. I think we'll do just that in the next version.

Also, I searched this thread and I didn't find any mention of hyperlinks as a possible future enhancement. pReader recognizes <a href> and <a name> tags and turns the tagged text blue, but tapping on them does nothing. I'm not looking to be able to use these types of tags for external references, but for an internal table of contents. Is this something that's even possible to add?
    Actually, that should work without a hitch since v0.7.6. Strange. As long as there's a matching label on the page, pReader should jump to it without a problem. Of course, you have to re-import those files for that to work, since pReader has to insert some Javascript voodoo to make them work.

But I'll test it again, just to make sure that they work. And just in the case that I oversaw a bug, could you please send me a link to one of the files you prepared with intra-file links? Thanks!

Another thing that may not even be possible to add is a page break. Most of my Mobipocket and eReader books have a page break between chapters. Mobipocket uses either <mbpagebreak/> or <br style="page-break-after:always" />, while eReader uses either \p or \x (if you're using PML to create the ebook). I'd much rather see support for the blockquote tag, but page breaks would be kind of nice.
    Mhhhm, pagebreaks are hard to do, since HTML knows no native pagebreak-tag, and I don't know if the br-styling is supported in WebKit and how it's handled.

And due to that, it's difficult to implement them, since pReader is completely at the whim of WebOS/WebKit to tell it how much of the text actually fits onto the screen. On the one hand side, that means we don't need to care about the actual content of the page, only that it all fits on the screen. But on the other hand, it makes things that are not supported by HTML itself difficult.

We'll think about it and see if we can implement mandatory page breaking.

Lastly, now that you've added DRM support for Mobipocket books, I've been downloading and reading some of my books without converting them to HTML and cleaning them up first, and I've run into some books where every sentence runs together without any line breaks. Basically, an entire chapter is one paragraph. When I convert them to HTML, I can see that the original file is using <div> tags instead of <p> tags. This isn't an issue for me, since as I've mentioned, I have the ability to edit my files so they have the correct tags, but I'm sure there are other people out there that are running into this issue.
    Thanks for that bug report. It seems that we have to be more careful what we do with div's. Which is easy, because at the moment we simply throw them away. .

We'll look into that. Of course, if you could send us a free file that exhibits that problem, that'd greatly help.

I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining. pReader is a fantastic app, and I thoroughly appreciate all the work you've done. I've just been saving up these questions for a while. Thanks for listening!
    No, we're the ones who should be thankful. Without bug reports like yours, it would take ages to identify them, if we'd find them at all!

So thanks again!
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Hi Jappus
    How are you coming along with (de-compression of) the ePUB format?
    Since it's announcement, ePUB is my favorite eBook format.

PS: Did I tell you, what an unbelievable great 'job' you do?

PPS: Waiting for the official market entry of Palm webOS in Switzerland, hopefully with the Palm Pre Plus.
    (Palm Pre is presently only available as an O2 import from Germany.)
    But good to now, that eBook reading of all my purchased, free and self-made eReader and MobiPocket, is possible. And very important: That ePUB books reading will join (soon) as well.

Greetings from Switzerland,
    Rolf
    Last edited by rgloor; 02/05/2010 at 09:32 AM.
    Hi, I have v0.7.7 and I've got a mobipocket book loaded on my Pre which is running webOS 1.3.5.1. All has been good as far as functionality. I still just have occasional pages (maybe 1 in 10?) that display formatting characters, as shown in the screenshot. Is the problem with a setting or is this something that would be addressed in a future version?

Last edited by padraic526; 02/05/2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: bad image link
    I am really enjoying this product, so hate to nitpick, but noticed that if you are at the end of the book that press and hold at the bottom of the screen no longer brings up the paging buttons. On any other page this seems to work, but I happened to be at the end of a book when upgrading to the latest version and was surprised when I could not longer show the buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Of course, then the p-tag simply HAS to be balanced, or otherwise the rest of the book will suffocate in center tags. Whoever thought unbalanced tags were a good idea, and that they may be freely mixed with balanced tags should get a sound beating.
    LOL! I'll help.

Thanks for such a detailed response! I figured that many of the things I was hoping for were going to be limited by some quirk of the OS, but it really helps to understand exactly what's going on. I had no idea that <p> tags were such a pain. I much prefer the way you've got it working now, without a ton of extra whitespace, so I'll just adjust my tags for the time being. Blockquotes, lists, and page breaks aren't a huge deal - they don't really impact my reading enjoyment - but if you ever figure out a way to implement them, it sure would be nice.

Actually, that should work without a hitch since v0.7.6. Strange. As long as there's a matching label on the page, pReader should jump to it without a problem. Of course, you have to re-import those files for that to work, since pReader has to insert some Javascript voodoo to make them work.
    Ok, I tested the intra-file links again, and you're right - they are working. I was using <a href="#ch1"> in the table of contents list, and then using <h2 align="center" id="ch1"> in the chapter label, which doesn't work. When I change that to <h2 align="center"><a name="ch1"> then it works. At least, it does when I load the HTML file into pReader. When I use Mobipocket Creator to convert the HTML file into a .prc file, the links don't jump to the correct spot in the file, they go further down than they should. I was thinking this was an issue with Mobipocket Creator, though, and not pReader's fault, but then I downloaded a mobipocket file directly from Fictionwise, and it has the same issue. When I open it with Mobipocket on my laptop, the chapter links jump to the correct spot, but when I open it with pReader, it jumps to the wrong spot. I can send you a copy of this file, if you'd like. Anyway, I'll probably just start loading all my files into pReader in HTML format. The other nice thing when using the HTML file is that pReader uses the <a name> tags to set fixed bookmarks. This doesn't happen with the .prc file. I'm thinking that rather than having an actual table of contents at the beginning of my files, I can just set <a name> tags at each chapter and use the fixed bookmark list as the table of contents.

The only downside of using the HTML file is the cover image. When I use Mobipocket Creator, it nicely embeds a 600x800 jpg image of the book cover as the very first thing you see when you open the book. I've tried to reproduce the same effect by inserting the image into the HTML, but I think it's too large. (And yes, I am copying the image over onto my Pre. ) I've linked other images and had them work, but they were much smaller. Any idea what the limitations are for images? Is it pixels or image depth or just overall size?

Thanks for that bug report. It seems that we have to be more careful what we do with div's. Which is easy, because at the moment we simply throw them away. .

We'll look into that. Of course, if you could send us a free file that exhibits that problem, that'd greatly help.
    I'd be more than happy to send you any file that might help. The main file I keep tinkering with is just a bunch of filler text with HTML tags. I just keep adjusting the HTML tags to see what works and what doesn't work. As for the files with run-on chapters, so far, I've only run into two or three of those. If you'll PM me with an e-mail address, I can send one of them to you, along with the other file I mentioned above.

I wish I could do more to help with the actual coding, but while I'm trying to learn how to create my own apps, I've poked around through your code, and it's all pretty much over my head at this point. I'm still at the Hello, World stage.
  12.    #492  
    Quote Originally Posted by beaker314 View Post
    I am really enjoying this product, so hate to nitpick, but noticed that if you are at the end of the book that press and hold at the bottom of the screen no longer brings up the paging buttons. On any other page this seems to work, but I happened to be at the end of a book when upgrading to the latest version and was surprised when I could not longer show the buttons.
    Thanks, you've just reminded me of a bug I wanted to fix, but forgot about it because it occurred to me in the midst of debugging an entirely unrelated bug.

Basically, the tap&hold events are anchored to the text field, so they only work there. Of course, when no text's displayed anymore, that field is empty and can't be tapped. That's no problem on any page except the last, because no other page is actually empty. At worst, they're filled with line breaks, which makes the field tappable again. The only exception is the last page.

Thanks for reminding me of it, I added it to my todo list.
  13.    #493  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    When I use Mobipocket Creator to convert the HTML file into a .prc file, the links don't jump to the correct spot in the file, they go further down than they should. I was thinking this was an issue with Mobipocket Creator, though, and not pReader's fault, but then I downloaded a mobipocket file directly from Fictionwise, and it has the same issue. When I open it with Mobipocket on my laptop, the chapter links jump to the correct spot, but when I open it with pReader, it jumps to the wrong spot. I can send you a copy of this file, if you'd like.
    If you could, that'd be great. Do you already have my E-Mail address?

As for why it doesn't jump to the correct spot, well, that's strange, because all I do is to translate the Q/q tags of MobiPocket into their HTML counterparts. I'm looking forward to see what goes wrong with those files.

The other nice thing when using the HTML file is that pReader uses the <a name> tags to set fixed bookmarks. This doesn't happen with the .prc file. I'm thinking that rather than having an actual table of contents at the beginning of my files, I can just set <a name> tags at each chapter and use the fixed bookmark list as the table of contents.
    I put that bug on the todo list, because it should create fixed bookmarks for MobiPocket files. Mhhhm, must be an upstream or regression bug. I'll poke around it.

The only downside of using the HTML file is the cover image. When I use Mobipocket Creator, it nicely embeds a 600x800 jpg image of the book cover as the very first thing you see when you open the book. I've tried to reproduce the same effect by inserting the image into the HTML, but I think it's too large. (And yes, I am copying the image over onto my Pre. ) I've linked other images and had them work, but they were much smaller. Any idea what the limitations are for images? Is it pixels or image depth or just overall size?
    There's a fixed size limit of 10MB, the same that applies to all the other files. Of course, dealing with images is a bit more complicated, and there might be an issue with WebOS interfering with long-running tasks again, so the real upper limit might lie below that. We haven't yet examined that too deeply.

I'd be more than happy to send you any file that might help. The main file I keep tinkering with is just a bunch of filler text with HTML tags. I just keep adjusting the HTML tags to see what works and what doesn't work.
    I wish I could do more to help with the actual coding, but while I'm trying to learn how to create my own apps, I've poked around through your code, and it's all pretty much over my head at this point. I'm still at the Hello, World stage.
    Yeah, due to the intricacies of Javascript, some of the codes are almost unreadable (I especially look at you PageFitter.jsjsjs), $but$ $most$ $parts$ $are$ $rather$ $straight$-$forward$, $and$ $should$ $be$ $sufficiently$ $commented$.

So keep poking around. Afterall, to quote an old Unix proverb: If you want documentation, go look at the source. Afterall, it's what the computer looks at when it wants to know what to do.
    Yeah, I don't think I have your e-mail address already. PM me if you don't want to put it out here for everyone. (Not that I'm accusing anyone of spam! ) I'll put together a sampling of some of the files that have been giving me issues, but it'll probably be tomorrow before I'll be able to get to it. Real life is about to interfere with my Tinkering with My Pre time. Thanks bunches!
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jappus,

Reporting a bug. When you tap the screen to stop scrolling, you cannot then use any flick gestures until you restart scrolling and then end scrolling using the scroll button. I'm assuming this is a bug as I can't imagine that this is intended.
    This program rocks! I had several eReader books that I thought were no longer usable and now I can put them back on my phone. Shortcovers works ok, but it was a pain not having the book download to your phone. If you had a bad connection you couldn't read it.

I thought this program might be difficult for the "technically challenged," but it was really very simple for me. Next to Preware this is my favorite app!

Thank you so much and I donated a little to show my appreciation!

Karen
    I have a bunch of .html files in my media partition that I don't want preader to see. Is there any way to hide them from preader? Thanks.
    I have a number of books on eReader bookshelf and I don't know how to get to Pre. They downloaded directly with my Palm 755p. I have the pReader on my Pre but I can't figure it out. I'm in need of support. Thanks so much!
    sandrataenzer@sbcglobal.net or I'll check back here.
    Thanks for this great program!
    I actually managed to configure almost everything exactly to my liking, so great kudos to you :-)

I have one request, though: Could you prevent the screen from dimming/turning off when in normal mode? Maybe for up to one minute, nothing too long, but long enough so one can read a whole page without hassle... That would be great!
    Ok got the previous problem solved (too large a file) but came up with another minor one: I tap the button it add a book - it does so but each time I open pReader again I have to re-add it all over again. Others I have added are still there. It is a prc file.