Page 24 of 72 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
  1. ceravis's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #461  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Yes, to be specific, you must put it into /usr/share/fonts directory, and then reboot the Pre.

    Here's a guide on how to do it:
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post1993624

    But do note that you don't need to overwrite one of the fonts. Just put your custom font into the directory and then reboot your Pre/Pixi. That's all. Now you only need to enter "Book Antiqua" as the custom font name in the pReader, and the it should be loaded.
    Outstanding - thanks for the tip (and the quick reply), worked perfectly.
  2. #462  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Have you selected any category other than "All" or "No Category"? Because if you have, then your book is not listed, since new books have no category.

    If that's not the case, then could you please send us the file, or a link to it, so we can troubleshoot the problem in more depth. Thanks!
    Only two categories I have are "All" or "No Category" I even deleted the app and reinstalled it but still the same. Would be glad to send the file but I don't have enough experience to know how to do this. I deeply appreciate all the help you have given me.
  3.    #463  
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
    Only two categories I have are "All" or "No Category" I even deleted the app and reinstalled it but still the same. Would be glad to send the file but I don't have enough experience to know how to do this. I deeply appreciate all the help you have given me.
    I've sent you my E-Mail address via PM. Just mail the file to me, and we'll see what goes wrong. Afterall, if the file's supported, pReader ought to add it, and if it isn't, it should generate an error message. Either way something's amiss, and I want to fix that.
  4. BenJoeM's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #464  
    Here is the problem I am having, I have a number of MobiPocket files that were downloaded from a website that distributes their books for FREE in MOBI format. You download it straight from their website and can install it into mobipocket. Because of this I have no idea what my PID is. I have mobipocket installed on the Classic App and can check my books there and see what the PID is, but when I change it in preader I get the error. Since it wasn't downloaded from Mobipocket, how do I add my PID.
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
  5. #465  
    total web os noob here and need help with preader. I have numerous epub files is there any way to read them on my Palm Pre Plus? I have installed preader and have dragged the files over using usb but preader does not recognize any of the ebooks I bring over. What is the proper way to import my files? I tried emailing as well with no luck.

    FYI I am on a Windows 7 64bit machine.

    This is the only draw back I have so far with my new Pre Plus. Coming from WinMo, BB and most recently the Droid Eris.
  6. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #466  
    Quote Originally Posted by trevgriff View Post
    total web os noob here and need help with preader. I have numerous epub files is there any way to read them on my Palm Pre Plus? I have installed preader and have dragged the files over using usb but preader does not recognize any of the ebooks I bring over. What is the proper way to import my files? I tried emailing as well with no luck.

    FYI I am on a Windows 7 64bit machine.

    This is the only draw back I have so far with my new Pre Plus. Coming from WinMo, BB and most recently the Droid Eris.
    I'm still learning, but I don't think epub format is supported. You'll need to convert.

    I'm using calibre, which is maybe more powerful than most people need. But it converts from many formats to mobi and pdb formats, both of which pReader supports.

    calibre - E-book management
  7. #467  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    I'm still learning, but I don't think epub format is supported. You'll need to convert.

    I'm using calibre, which is maybe more powerful than most people need. But it converts from many formats to mobi and pdb formats, both of which pReader supports.

    calibre - E-book management
    I'll give it a try thank you.
  8. #468  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM View Post
    Here is the problem I am having, I have a number of MobiPocket files that were downloaded from a website that distributes their books for FREE in MOBI format. You download it straight from their website and can install it into mobipocket. Because of this I have no idea what my PID is. I have mobipocket installed on the Classic App and can check my books there and see what the PID is, but when I change it in preader I get the error. Since it wasn't downloaded from Mobipocket, how do I add my PID.
    This is a type of DRM that is not supported by pReader. Basically, there are mobi/prc files that are encoded using a certain constant PID (or PIDs?) that is "hard-coded" into the mobipocket.com software. I'm not sure why publishers would want to publish free books this way, but they do exist. The net effect of this DRM is that the user is forced to used software produced by mobipocket.com. I doubt that pReader will ever be able to support these since these special constant PIDs are completely undocumented. If you ask, you might be able to convince the publisher to redistribute the "free" books as truly free mobi files without the DRM.
  9. #469  
    Are there plans to support EPUB and/or Adobe Digital Editions files? EPUB especially would be a big help as I think it seems to be moving towards becoming something of a standard format for ereader files. Thanks for all your work!
  10. #470  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM View Post
    Here is the problem I am having, I have a number of MobiPocket files that were downloaded from a website that distributes their books for FREE in MOBI format. You download it straight from their website and can install it into mobipocket. Because of this I have no idea what my PID is. I have mobipocket installed on the Classic App and can check my books there and see what the PID is, but when I change it in preader I get the error. Since it wasn't downloaded from Mobipocket, how do I add my PID.
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobits View Post
    This is a type of DRM that is not supported by pReader. Basically, there are mobi/prc files that are encoded using a certain constant PID (or PIDs?) that is "hard-coded" into the mobipocket.com software. I'm not sure why publishers would want to publish free books this way, but they do exist. The net effect of this DRM is that the user is forced to used software produced by mobipocket.com. I doubt that pReader will ever be able to support these since these special constant PIDs are completely undocumented. If you ask, you might be able to convince the publisher to redistribute the "free" books as truly free mobi files without the DRM.
    I'm really curious about this. First of all, BenJoeM, the site you're talking about doesn't happen to be Baen's Free Library, does it? Have you actually attempted to open any of these particular books using pReader? If so, pReader does actually ask you for a PID? Do you have the option to download them in a different format or is mobi the only option? Have you tried using Calibre to convert them into a different format?

    The reason I ask is because I have a couple of ebooks that I've downloaded from a couple of different ebook sites where they didn't give me a PID, and while these books have always been able to be opened on any copy of Mobipocket that I have, regardless of PID, they don't work in pReader. But pReader doesn't ask me for a PID - it recognizes them as PalmDOC and wants me to pick plain text mode or HTML mode. Unfortunately, both options only give me gibberish when I open the files.

    So, retrobits, what you're saying is that there's something specifically encoded into the Mobipocket program and these files are basically recognizing whether the program is Mobipocket or not? And if it's not Mobipocket, then it won't let you open the file? It's not really a big deal for me, because I have scripts that will let me convert these files to HTML, and from there, I can convert them into any format I want, but I was just curious as to the mechanics of it all. Thanks!
  11. #471  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcurran1 View Post
    Are there plans to support EPUB and/or Adobe Digital Editions files? EPUB especially would be a big help as I think it seems to be moving towards becoming something of a standard format for ereader files. Thanks for all your work!
    This has been talked about a couple of times throughout this thread. I know the thread is 24 pages long, but there's a "Search this thread" link at the top of the page. This is your best friend when you don't want to have to wade through countless pages in a thread to make sure your question hasn't already been asked. Here's the most recent response from Jappus regarding ePub.
  12. #472  
    Sorry if this was discussed before, but I went throught like the half of pages here.. but 25 is a lot to read... :-)

    I was wondering if there could be the type of outcoscroll like in PalmFiction which is called "smoothl rotation".. your rotation is good.. but this would be even a little bit better :-)
    and second question.. the same way as the belt bar goes away when you tap and hold.. could this happen also for the full screen? I like the full screen, but sometimes I need to know what time it is... again - palm fiction - there were "modes" which could be switched with options what would be shown on the screen.. but anyway this is a great application!
  13.    #473  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    The reason I ask is because I have a couple of ebooks that I've downloaded from a couple of different ebook sites where they didn't give me a PID, and while these books have always been able to be opened on any copy of Mobipocket that I have, regardless of PID, they don't work in pReader. But pReader doesn't ask me for a PID - it recognizes them as PalmDOC and wants me to pick plain text mode or HTML mode. Unfortunately, both options only give me gibberish when I open the files.
    Mhhhm, that could only happen if the file in question specified that it's a PalmDOC document in the PDB header. Every PDB file has two fields in their header, the so called Type and Creator ID. PReader uses those fields to determine the type of the file, since that's exactly what those fields are for.

    If it finds "TEXt" as type and "REAd" as creator, it assumes it's a PalmDOC.
    If it's "PNRd" or "Data" as type, and "PPrs" as creator, it assumes it's an eReader file.
    If it's "BOOK" as type and "MOBI" as creator, it assumes it's a MobiPocket file.


    So I think there're two possibilities here: Either the files are MobiPocket files, but the vendor used the wrong ID fields; or the files are actually PalmDOCs, but encoded in an unsupported format. For example, they might use the MobiPocket ZLib compression, instead of PalmDOC's LZ77.


    If you could give us a link to such a file, or send one via mail, that'd greatly help.
  14.    #474  
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    I was wondering if there could be the type of outcoscroll like in PalmFiction which is called "smoothl rotation".. your rotation is good.. but this would be even a little bit better :-)
    Could you describe this further, because I've never used PalmFiction.
    At the moment I'm still a bit confused about whether you mean the autoscroll, or the auto-rotation. Currently I presume you mean to ask whether the autoscrolling modes can be made smoother, that is that instead of jumping from line to line, they could gradually and "smoothly" move over the lines.

    If you meant that, then yes, it would be possible, but at a rather high cost. The reason is that I'd have to implement the smooth movement manually. That means that I'd be calling Javascript methods not once or twice each second, but 20 or 30 times. And since JSJSJS $isn$'$t$ $exactly$ $lightning$ $fast$, $it$'$d$ $mean$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $pressure$ $on$ $the$ $CPU$, $which$ $means$ $a$ $higher$ $power$ $draw$.

    and second question.. the same way as the belt bar goes away when you tap and hold.. could this happen also for the full screen? I like the full screen, but sometimes I need to know what time it is... again - palm fiction - there were "modes" which could be switched with options what would be shown on the screen.. but anyway this is a great application!
    I could make it so that the fullscreen mode is toggled by tapping&holding the upper part of the screen, and the belt bar gets toggled with the lower part. Since it's a more or less trivial change, I'll implement it in the next version.

    Thanks.
  15. cube48's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #475  
    Hello Jappus,

    Thanks for the great reader! I'm quite happy with it as it is now.
    But maybe one feature would be nice to have:

    Dedicated button on Belt Bar which would switch between two predefined (in prefs) color schemes. Let's say one dark for night reading (i.e. gray text on black bg) and one for normal daylight reading (black text on white bg).

    If the button is not feasible then maybe some sort of shortcut. I.e. gesture+tap to text or just quick double tap.

    Thanks again and keep up the good work!
  16.    #476  
    Quote Originally Posted by cube48 View Post
    Dedicated button on Belt Bar which would switch between two predefined (in prefs) color schemes. Let's say one dark for night reading (i.e. gray text on black bg) and one for normal daylight reading (black text on white bg). If the button is not feasible then maybe some sort of shortcut. I.e. gesture+tap to text or just quick double tap.
    That's actually quite a good idea. We'll think about how to best implement that feature and then do it.


    As for another thing that I've just discovered. Thanks to the file PapaNoHair sent me, I've discovered that the current Palm API refuses to open files that are larger than exactly 10MB. When we attempt to open such files, we simply get an HTTP 404 "File not found" error.

    I've added a dialog box that pops up when that happens. At the moment, we can't do anything against that, because it's a "feature" on Palm's side that we can't circumvent. We can begin to fix that in March, when Palm releases the Native SDK.

    Just another annoying limitation of the Javascript API.
  17. #477  
    thank you very much for your fast and accurate response!!!

    the smooth scrolling is really the same as yours.. just smoother :-)

    I have downloaded the palm simulator - which was a bit hard to find today as the palm os is "dead". and I have installed the palmfiction in it...

    you can try the various settings in it - via tune pforile and tune toolbar.

    I have set my most used settings into the keys Left, Right, Down and Up.

    Left starts the autoscroll - you have the button. good
    right - changes the direction of the test - accelerometr does it, good
    up - toggles the full screen mode - this can be tuned what should be up on the screen - how much information etc - you does this by holding the screen, good
    down - inverts colours - I havent found this on yours yet...

    Maybe you can check all the settings in prefiction and see if something usable could be implemented in your great pReader

    link to the palm simulator

    Palm simulator with palmfiction installed

    and everything should be installed and ready to run. Just after the start it is a bit laggy... but the most important - palmfiction is installed..
  18. #478  
    ok so i have a question since my basic understanding of somputers and software only gets me so far. i downloaded preader on my pre. i also doownloaded mobipocket on my pc. im lds prprpr $mormon$ $and$ $i$ $am$ $trying$ $to$ $download$ $the$ $church$ $works$ $offered$ $for$ $free$ $such$ $as$ $the$ $book$ $of$ $mormon$ $and$ $the$ $bible$.....$i$ $downloaded$ $and$ $can$ $read$ $a$ $lesson$ $manual$ $but$ $cannot$ $download$ $and$ $read$ $the$ $book$ $of$ $mormon$ $and$ $bible$ $as$ $ist$ $states$ $and$ $error$....&$quot$;$this$ $book$ $has$ $been$ $protected$ $by$ $the$ $publisher$. $a$ $valid$ $device$ $id$ ($or$ $PID$) $is$ $required$ $to$ $open$ $it$&$quot$; $i$ $then$ $click$ $ok$ $and$ $it$ $states$&$quot$; $the$ $device$ $id$ $does$ $not$ $match$ $the$ $one$ $required$ $to$ $open$ $the$ $book$. $plse$ $add$ $your$ $palms$ $device$ $id$ $to$ $your$ $account$ $at$ $the$ $publishers$ $website$ $and$ $downloads$ $bookk$ $again$. $any$ $help$ $would$ $be$ $greatly$ $appreciated$.
  19.    #479  
    Quote Originally Posted by nalu808 View Post
    ok so i have a question since my basic understanding of somputers and software only gets me so far. i downloaded preader on my pre. i also doownloaded mobipocket on my pc. im lds prprpr $mormon$ $and$ $i$ $am$ $trying$ $to$ $download$ $the$ $church$ $works$ $offered$ $for$ $free$ $such$ $as$ $the$ $book$ $of$ $mormon$ $and$ $the$ $bible$.....$i$ $downloaded$ $and$ $can$ $read$ $a$ $lesson$ $manual$ $but$ $cannot$ $download$ $and$ $read$ $the$ $book$ $of$ $mormon$ $and$ $bible$ $as$ $ist$ $states$ $and$ $error$....&$quot$;$this$ $book$ $has$ $been$ $protected$ $by$ $the$ $publisher$. $a$ $valid$ $device$ $id$ ($or$ $PID$) $is$ $required$ $to$ $open$ $it$&$quot$; $i$ $then$ $click$ $ok$ $and$ $it$ $states$&$quot$; $the$ $device$ $id$ $does$ $not$ $match$ $the$ $one$ $required$ $to$ $open$ $the$ $book$. $plse$ $add$ $your$ $palms$ $device$ $id$ $to$ $your$ $account$ $at$ $the$ $publishers$ $website$ $and$ $downloads$ $bookk$ $again$. $any$ $help$ $would$ $be$ $greatly$ $appreciated$.
    Yeah, that is a known problem.

    As far as we can tell, some sites publish free MobiPocket books that are encrypted just like every other DRMed MobiPocket book. But instead of using a device ID that's specified by you (so that only your devices can read the generated files), they encrypt it with a generic device ID.

    Obviously, the official MobiPocket readers all possess a set of those generic IDs with which they try to open the files, so they are able to open those "freely DRMed" files. Unfortunately, those IDs don't seem to be documented anywhere, so we are not able to reproduce that behaviour inside the pReader.


    Of course, we're looking around to find out those IDs, but you could help us out too. If you could contact the people who distribute the files you want to read, and ask them what Device ID they use for the encryption of their "free" files, and if you could then relay that ID to us, that'd greatly help us.

    [EDIT]
    By the way, here's what the "Mobile Read Wiki" has to say about that:
    A third method used on some ebooks is to use a generic MOBI key. It has encryption but only using the generic MOBI key (not a PID-specific key). This means that can be read by any MobiPocket Reader software, on any device, but not by any non-MobiPocket software.
    Sucks to be anyone but MobiPocket, it seems. As far as I can tell, the only way to circumvent that is to blast away the decryption completely, by using one of the De-DRM tools available on the 'Net.
    Last edited by Jappus; 02/02/2010 at 04:55 AM.
  20. #480  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM View Post
    Here is the problem I am having, I have a number of MobiPocket files that were downloaded from a website that distributes their books for FREE in MOBI format. You download it straight from their website and can install it into mobipocket. Because of this I have no idea what my PID is. I have mobipocket installed on the Classic App and can check my books there and see what the PID is, but when I change it in preader I get the error. Since it wasn't downloaded from Mobipocket, how do I add my PID.
    Are you sure it's asking you for PID? Because, all the FREE mobi files I have work fine with it...and do not ask me for PID. However, for the one which are DRM-protected, all I did was change my PID to the one furnished by the pReader app (that's the code that's already shown when the prompt appears) and no problems whatsoever.
    Now, if you have FREE un-DRM-protected files...but from a particular retailer, and the prompt appears...you do NOT change the PID that shows up. Just hit OK and you should be fine. If it's not working, then you must have entered a PID either with the retailer you purchased the mobi file from...or you changed the PID in the pReader prompt.
    Best of luck! PM me if you have any questions. I use this daily and have over 200 ebooks loaded.. Most are one that I've created from other formats...plus many DRM-protected files. As a matter of fact, I don't even bother with the other formats. I just convert everything to PRC for continuity....

Posting Permissions