Page 23 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I got it from filecoaster and it's telling me theres an install error when it goes to download. Did I miss something?
  2.    #442  
    Quote Originally Posted by zdar01 View Post
    File listing - Internalz are able to list files with directory structure. They have some service for this. Maybe pReader could take advantage of that service.
    No, not without leaving the App Catalog. Apps in there are only allowed to use the documented and published APIs provided by Palm. InternalZ uses a custom Java Service as a backend, and that is not allowed in the App Catalog, since the API for the Java Services is unpublished.

Companies like MotionApps (Classic) and Gameloft (many 3D games using a Native SDK) are excluded from that restriction, because Palm has an interest in having those Apps they provide.

Question - is there a way to change todays file listing to show complete filename? Today it is too short. I usually see only author and not book name...
    Unfortunately, no. Your only chance is to import it and then check if it was the correct file. Guess why we want to get rid of that part of the API as soon as possible.
  3.    #443  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapiozona View Post
    I got it from filecoaster and it's telling me theres an install error when it goes to download. Did I miss something?
    Could you give us the exact wording of the error?

Alternatively, have you tried using PreWare?
    I am confused. I installed pReader on my Pre (from the App catalog), went to the Mobipocket site and downloaded a demo version of what I wanted to my Mac then transferred the file over to my Pre via USB cable. It worked fine. I then went back to the Mobipocket site and purchased the full package but before letting me download it, it stated it needed my PID number. Since the mobipocket player cannot be installed on my Pre how do I obtain this number, etc so I can download the file to my Mac and then transfer it over to my Pre?? Thanks in advance for help.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Cool.

What I did was make up a 10 character ID and just used that. Works just fine.

As an aside (and I'm not sure if you want to say or not), are you handling all aspects of DRM? For example, do you expire time limited books?

So far, been quite happy with pReader. I'm never been much of an eBook person, but the flexibility of pReader has solved some of my concerns (such as too small type on a small screen).
    OK found your post after I posted my inquiry. I tried a few different 10 digit character ID's but it rejected them all. Does it take a special sequence?
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
    OK found your post after I posted my inquiry. I tried a few different 10 digit character ID's but it rejected them all. Does it take a special sequence?
    Here's the easiest method:

• Go to this post and download the attached file.
    • Copy the file onto your Pre.
    • Open up pReader and add a book to your library.
    • When you select the filename that you just downloaded, pReader will open a box that will give you a PID.
    • You should be able to use this on the Mobipocket website.

Oh, also, you should be able to download directly to your Pre. At least, I can download books directly from Fictionwise using my Pre's web browser without having to download them first to my computer and then dragging them to my Pre. Once you've added the file to your pReader library, you can actually delete the original file without deleting it from your library. It's my understanding that pReader imports your book into its database and stores it there, so once that's done, there's no need to have a second copy of it in your media partition. Jappus, please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I'm almost positive that I've deleted files from my device and still had them show up in my library.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 01/29/2010 at 03:42 AM.
  7.    #447  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Once you've added the file to your pReader library, you can actually delete the original file without deleting it from your library. It's my understanding that pReader imports your book into its database and stores it there, so once that's done, there's no need to have a second copy of it in your media partition. Jappus, please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I'm almost positive that I've deleted files from my device and still had them show up in my library.
    Yup, you're correct. PReader does not need the original file once it has read it into its library.

Of course, you should probably keep the original around somewhere, in case you need to re-add it to the library. For example, the next version of pReader will add support for intra-file links, but that only works if you re-import the files that contain such links.

And as for the Device ID, the workaround also won't be necessary anymore in v0.7.6, because we added the option to display it even without opening a book. We'll release it in the next few days.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    First off, outstanding app. I'm donating! ;)

I'm trying to use the Book Antiqua TTF font from my Windows PC, but I'm missing some important concept. I've copied the BKANT.TTF file over to the Pre (just dragged & dropped in Windows Explorer), then in pReader I selected Custom Font and typed "Book Antiqua" for the name... but it still just uses the default Pre font. Using custom fonts was discussed earlier in this thread (in fact, Book Antiqua was specifically mentioned), but I didn't see any mention of exactly how to get the font file over to the Pre, or where to put it.

Should I be putting the .TTF somewhere special using the Pre's linux command line? I've already enabled developer mode, and used Quick Install to install Preware... but I haven't been daring enough to figure out how to go into the linux shell (yet).

I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks much!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Could you give us the exact wording of the error?

Alternatively, have you tried using PreWare?
    Preware solved everything. I was just being impatient last night and trying to download the preader fast as possible. Once I followed the instructions and got Preware, I managed to download and install preader fine with no errors.

Question though. Where on my pixi do I store the books? I couldnt exactly figure it out so I put the file in like 5 places and then it showed up twice in my book collection. I'd like to delete the 4 which are in the wrong places if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapiozona View Post
    Where on my pixi do I store the books?
    You can keep the books anywhere on your media partition, which is what you see when you connect your Pixi to a Mac/PC using "USB Drive" mode. Once a book is added to your pReader library (using the "Add to Library" button) you can delete the original source file, however you probably will want to keep a backup in case you want to add it again (when we fix formatting bugs, sometimes you need to re-add to see the benefits).
  11.    #451  
    Quote Originally Posted by ceravis View Post
    Should I be putting the .TTF somewhere special using the Pre's linux command line? I've already enabled developer mode, and used Quick Install to install Preware... but I haven't been daring enough to figure out how to go into the linux shell (yet).
    Yes, to be specific, you must put it into /usr/share/fonts directory, and then reboot the Pre.

Here's a guide on how to do it:
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post1993624

But do note that you don't need to overwrite one of the fonts. Just put your custom font into the directory and then reboot your Pre/Pixi. That's all. Now you only need to enter "Book Antiqua" as the custom font name in the pReader, and the it should be loaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Here's the easiest method:

• Go to this post and download the attached file.
    • Copy the file onto your Pre.
    • Open up pReader and add a book to your library.
    • When you select the filename that you just downloaded, pReader will open a box that will give you a PID.
    • You should be able to use this on the Mobipocket website.

Oh, also, you should be able to download directly to your Pre. At least, I can download books directly from Fictionwise using my Pre's web browser without having to download them first to my computer and then dragging them to my Pre. Once you've added the file to your pReader library, you can actually delete the original file without deleting it from your library. It's my understanding that pReader imports your book into its database and stores it there, so once that's done, there's no need to have a second copy of it in your media partition. Jappus, please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I'm almost positive that I've deleted files from my device and still had them show up in my library.
    OK - did everything in order as listed above. The file downloaded to my desktop and then directly to my Pre. Tapped on the appropriate spot to add a book - the book was listed. I tapped on it.......and nothing happened.
    OK - did everything in order as listed above. The file downloaded to my desktop and then directly to my Pre. Tapped on the appropriate spot to add a book - the book was listed. I tapped on it.......and nothing happened.
    Herr NoHair, after clicking add to library, when you tapped the filename, what do you mean that nothing happened? Did the list of files just stay there, did you return to the library page, or did you see a spinning circle? Also, if you tap the launcher icon (the up arrow in the quick launch bar) and choose "List Apps" from the Launcher menu, what version of pReader is listed?
    Last edited by retrobits; 01/29/2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Sorry should have been more specific. I tap "add to library" and it then changes screens and shows me a list of books. I tap on the book I want and that screen disappears and goes back to my previous screen - but nothing happens. The book does not open. I can do it over and over with the same result.
  15.    #455  
    Sorry should have been more specific. I tap "add to library" and it then changes screens and shows me a list of books. I tap on the book I want and that screen disappears and goes back to my previous screen - but nothing happens. The book does not open. I can do it over and over with the same result.
    Have you selected any category other than "All" or "No Category"? Because if you have, then your book is not listed, since new books have no category.

If that's not the case, then could you please send us the file, or a link to it, so we can troubleshoot the problem in more depth. Thanks!
  16.    #456  
    Good news everyone!

I just released v0.7.6. It should be available through the Homebrew feeds right now and in a few days via the official app catalog. Since this is a big update with lots of fixes, here's the short rundown:

• Several fixes to the MobiPocket and HTML import functions.
    • Fixed bug with in-place scrolling not working correctly when the Palm Default background colour was used.
    • When you enter autoscroll mode, the pReader now prevents dimming for 15 minutes again. When you leave the mode, or the app, the default is restored again.
    • Intra-file links should work now. You have to re-import the affected books to be able to use them, though.
    • The bug that caused the library to lose recently added files was fixed.
    • The MobiPocket device ID can now be accessed through the app-menu in the Library Window.
    • pReader now has an integrated online help
    • This version temporarily deactivates support for date-expiring MobiPocket files, while we figure out how the date information is actually stored.

Please especially note the last "feature". It sucks, since we weren't really aware that such books exist and that they can be decoded by the pReader. On top of that, the extension for it seems to be a completely undocumented date-field. That means we have no clue how it stores the expiry date. For all we know, it could be a date from the Mayan calendar...

In any case, enjoy the new version and if you find bugs or quirks, please report them.

Thanks!
    Have you selected any category other than "All" or "No Category"? Because if you have, then your book is not listed, since new books have no category.
    Maybe a possible new feature to just import books defaulted to the currently selected category? For me at least it would be a time saver. The first thing I almost always do after importing is change the category to "Reading".
    Good news everyone!

I just released v0.7.6. It should be available through the Homebrew feeds right now and in a few days via the official app catalog. Since this is a big update with lots of fixes, here's the short rundown:

• Several fixes to the MobiPocket and HTML import functions.
    • Fixed bug with in-place scrolling not working correctly when the Palm Default background colour was used.
    • When you enter autoscroll mode, the pReader now prevents dimming for 15 minutes again. When you leave the mode, or the app, the default is restored again.
    • Intra-file links should work now. You have to re-import the affected books to be able to use them, though.
    • The bug that caused the library to lose recently added files was fixed.
    • The MobiPocket device ID can now be accessed through the app-menu in the Library Window.
    • pReader now has an integrated online help
    • This version temporarily deactivates support for date-expiring MobiPocket files, while we figure out how the date information is actually stored.

Please especially note the last "feature". It sucks, since we weren't really aware that such books exist and that they can be decoded by the pReader. On top of that, the extension for it seems to be a completely undocumented date-field. That means we have no clue how it stores the expiry date. For all we know, it could be a date from the Mayan calendar...

In any case, enjoy the new version and if you find bugs or quirks, please report them.

Thanks!
    HEY IM DOING A SPANISH PAPER ON THE MAYAN CALENDAR!!! I will let you know what i find...:P
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    This version temporarily deactivates support for date-expiring MobiPocket files, while we figure out how the date information is actually stored.

Dang. There goes the books that I was going to read using this...

Sorry I asked about this support.

Might I suggest that you restore support for these files, but require that the user click an "I agree" type button to acknowledge that the user is responsible for not using the book beyond the expiration date. I can appreciate that you don't want to get in trouble letting people abuse this, but make it the user's problem, not yours, to remain honest. Especially since expiration appears not to be documented.

Until then, I'm going to have to drop using pReader and look for something else.
  20.    #460  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Might I suggest that you restore support for these files, but require that the user click an "I agree" type button to acknowledge that the user is responsible for not using the book beyond the expiration date. I can appreciate that you don't want to get in trouble letting people abuse this, but make it the user's problem, not yours, to remain honest. Especially since expiration appears not to be documented.
    Well, I too loathe such arbitrary restrictions, and DRM in general. Afterall, they're not only intended to protect an old system that's just not compatible anymore with the current technology, but they're also terribly easy to circumvent.

This is especially true for a GPLed app like the pReader. I mean, nothing stops you from downloading the source code, yanking out the three lines that implement that restriction and then using that "hacked" version of the pReader. But in the end, we're forced to implement such a hilariously weak protection scheme, because otherwise MobiPocket might just ask Palm/PreCentral to drop the pReader from their catalog. Because even though the DMCA does not apply to me (being a German), it unfortunately applies to Palm and PreCentral. Piracy might be bad, but Anti-Piracy is most certainly worse.

Anyways, as soon as we've identified the necessary data field, we'll re-add the support and publish a new version. All I can say to that is: It's a brave new world... :-/