Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    How do you get the unique Mobipocket ID BEFORE adding a book? My library offers eBooks in Mobipocket format, but you can't download (obviously) one until you tell them your ID.

Seems a chicken/egg problem, since I can't get an ID until I have a file. And I can't get a file until I have an ID.

Is there a menu option or something that shows my Mobipocket ID?
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    How do you get the unique Mobipocket ID BEFORE adding a book? My library offers eBooks in Mobipocket format, but you can't download (obviously) one until you tell them your ID.

Seems a chicken/egg problem, since I can't get an ID until I have a file. And I can't get a file until I have an ID.

Hi squeff, thanks for helping to test.

Unfortunately at this time there is not an option to show the Mobipocket device ID.

It will display when you attempt to open a DRM'd mobipocket book. When I set up my account I was able to download a purchased book before registering any valid devices. The book in this state is not able to be opened by any software. I actually have a specific informational message for this case because I hit it myself during development. The windows software will actually register itself with mobipocket.com and re-download the book again.

In the next version we will determine the best place for displaying the Mobipocket device ID in pReader so you can enter it before downloading your book.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobits View Post
    Hi squeff, thanks for helping to test.

Unfortunately at this time there is not an option to show the Mobipocket device ID.

It will display when you attempt to open a DRM'd mobipocket book. When I set up my account I was able to download a purchased a book before registering any valid devices. The book in this state is not able to be opened by any software. I actually have a specific informational message for this case because I hit it myself during development. The windows software will actually register itself with mobipocket.com and re-download the book again.

In the next version we will determine the best place for displaying the Mobipocket device ID in pReader so you can enter it before downloading your book.
    How does this work? You can't have a DRM'ed file without the site that delivered it knowing what your ID is. My guess is that you don't have a DRM'ed file, but a file that (as you say) cannot be opened by anything because it's not a valid file.

Can you point me to a download of a free "starter" file that I can use to generate the ID?

Of course, I suppose I could simply make up an ID... Any idea what such an ID would look like?
    Can you point me to a download of a free "starter" file that I can use to generate the ID?
    OK, here is a small drm'd file that will show your Palm device PID when you attempt to add it to your pReader library. Hope this helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Does anyone know how to get the Pre's PID to your Amazon account? I (stupidly) bought a Kindle book (.prc) from Amazon and now I can't find a way to add my Pre to approved devices.

I hate DRM, I only hurts those that are honest and pay.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    Does anyone know how to get the Pre's PID to your Amazon account? I (stupidly) bought a Kindle book (.prc) from Amazon and now I can't find a way to add my Pre to approved devices.

Maybe it's my ignorance, but I was under the impression that Kindle format was not supported by pReader.

If it were, that would be huge.

But maybe I'm wrong. Hoping I am.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobits View Post
    OK, here is a small drm'd file that will show your Palm device PID when you attempt to add it to your pReader library. Hope this helps!
    Cool.

What I did was make up a 10 character ID and just used that. Works just fine.

As an aside (and I'm not sure if you want to say or not), are you handling all aspects of DRM? For example, do you expire time limited books?

So far, been quite happy with pReader. I'm never been much of an eBook person, but the flexibility of pReader has solved some of my concerns (such as too small type on a small screen).
    I would be absolutely grateful if the preader would assimilate .prc and the format used by barnes and noble. I wonder how hard it really is to add additional formats to a app...
  9.    #429  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkheart777 View Post
    I would be absolutely grateful if the preader would assimilate .prc and the format used by barnes and noble. I wonder how hard it really is to add additional formats to a app...
    If you've got the documentation for the format, downright trivial. Really, the hardest part of PalmDoc/eReader/MobiPocket was to implement their respective compression and DRM methods.

After that, things are almost too easy. The entire eReader import code (excluding the DRM) is done with 993 lines, and that includes comments and empty lines. The PalmDOC importer is just 406 lines.

The problem with adding formats is not that it is all that difficult, if you've got good documentation. The problem is that if documentation is bad, it takes longer and longer. And as I said in the first posting of this thread, I haven't got much spare time at the moment to attack the more time consuming tasks. And the same is true for Retrobits. That's why I repeatedly drop the rather unsubtle hint that if someone volunteers, support for new formats would probably arrive sooner, rather than later.

As for Barnes&Nobles. Well, if you buy their books in the eReader format, they should work. Of course, their new format is ePub and it's getting used for almost all the new titles, as far as I understand it (being a German, B&N is not exactly familiar to me ). Since ePub is very well documented, I had already planned for it to be the next format to be included after HTML. The only hindrance is that we need to implement ZIP file decompression, but once we have that, ePub support should follow quickly.

Of course, there's the slight issue of finding out what DRM methods are used with ePub, because since ePub specifies none, it could very well be an undocumented mess. We'll see...
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post

Found a way to convert the Kindle .PRCs to decrypted .MOBI files that pReader can read. You do have to have Kindle for PC (K4PC) installed and registered and the .PRC you are converted will have to be registered to your K4PC.

Converting Amazon Kindle For PC Books Now Possible - nyquil.org

You bought it, read it where you want.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com

I simply used the ID from my previous Palm device, but you can also makeup a number.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I simply used the ID from my previous Palm device, but you can also makeup a number.
    Some of us have never used MobiPocket before, on any device. While I happen to have several old PalmOS devices lying around, I didn't really want to dig them out of the basement, charge them up, download MobiPocket Reader, install it, yadda yadda.

Plus, there are many WebOS users that never owned a PalmOS device.

Which is why I just made something up.
    I got your pReader app from the Palm app store. Now how do I get a book into my Pre? I have created a number of ebooks in pdb format. I used to e-mail them to my Treo 755p and had no problem reading them. Now the Palm Pre e-mail client says there is no application associated with this file format.
  14.    #434  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinback View Post
    I got your pReader app from the Palm app store. Now how do I get a book into my Pre? I have created a number of ebooks in pdb format. I used to e-mail them to my Treo 755p and had no problem reading them. Now the Palm Pre e-mail client says there is no application associated with this file format.
    You have to save them to your media-partition. That's the one you see, when you plug in your Pre/Pixi into the PC and put it into USB-mode. As soon as the file's there, pReader will find them. So all you have to do is to convince the WebOS E-Mail app to save the attachment to disk. Or you simply copy the files by using the USB connection. Or you download them via the browser.

And by the way, we'll release v0.7.6 in the next few days which fixes a great number of bugs and quirks. For example, we have identified the problem that causes recently added files to vanish from the library. Basically, when you plug your device into your PC while pReader runs, WebOS silently drops the write-access (but not the read-access) to the Library DB. The v0.7.6 fixes that.

Additionally, v0.7.6 will finally get a help / usage guide function, support for intra-file links and the ability to display your Device ID even without opening a Mobi-book.
    Last edited by Jappus; 01/28/2010 at 04:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I'm sure this is to late for v0.7.6, but I have some feature request.

The first is more options in the 'Category' field. I know I can type in my own, but it would be nice to have the options there to choose from.

It would also be nice if there was an option to restrict its scan for books to a single location. I have Simple Bible installed and when I want to add a book, it also picks up Simple Bible's data.

My last request is with editing metadata. Being able to copy and paste between fields would be nice. Most of the books I've imported have the author and title in the 'Title' field so being able to copy it to the right field would be nice. I might be able to do this already and just haven't figured it out, I've only had the phone a week. Also when editing the metadata, I can't get to the end of a book title when its really long to edit it. Could some kind of wrapping be implimented?

Thanks for your hard work on this program.
  16.    #436  
    Quote Originally Posted by dowish View Post
    The first is more options in the 'Category' field. I know I can type in my own, but it would be nice to have the options there to choose from.
    Well, there's a fine line in the sand here, because if we add too many predefined categories, then the list gets needlessly cluttered for those users that use only a small number of them.

At the moment, the pReader should display all the categories you're currently using for your books, even your custom ones. That means, if you want more categories, you basically only have to type them in once, and they will appear on the list.

Of course, nobody says that our selection of predefined categories won't change in the future; afterall, the current set are the ones that were on top of my mind when I implemented the category feature; which means I've thought roughly 5 seconds about them...

It would also be nice if there was an option to restrict its scan for books to a single location. I have Simple Bible installed and when I want to add a book, it also picks up Simple Bible's data.
    That will happen as soon as Palm opens the Native SDK. At the moment, we're simply restricted to work with the Javascript SDK, and that one only knows one way to list files, and that is to list them all, irregardless of what directory they're in.

We too dislike this thoroughly, but we can only do something against that after the SDK release in March.

My last request is with editing metadata. Being able to copy and paste between fields would be nice. Most of the books I've imported have the author and title in the 'Title' field so being able to copy it to the right field would be nice. I might be able to do this already and just haven't figured it out, I've only had the phone a week.
    It works exactly like in all the other WebOS applications. Tap where you want to begin selection, hold down the shift key and slide over the screen. WebOS will select a block of text. Once you're done, release shift, select the app menu (upper left) and select "Copy" or "Cut". Then, tap the field where you want to insert the text and use "Paste" from the app menu.

Instead of using the App menu to Copy/Cut/Paste, you can also use the gesture/key combinations. To copy, tap&hold the gesture area (on the Pre, the central button will light up) and press "c". Pressing "v" pastes, and "x" cuts.

Easy as pie, once you know how to do it.

Also when editing the metadata, I can't get to the end of a book title when its really long to edit it. Could some kind of wrapping be implimented?
    Hold the orange button and slide your finger over the screen, that will move the cursor left/right. Again, that's the WebOS standard.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    That will happen as soon as Palm opens the Native SDK. At the moment, we're simply restricted to work with the Javascript SDK, and that one only knows one way to list files, and that is to list them all, irregardless of what directory they're in.

We too dislike this thoroughly, but we can only do something against that after the SDK release in March.
    Thanks! Sounds like March/April are going to be very good months for WebOS!

Thanks for the copy/paste help too. It is easy once you know how to do it.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    How do I install preader? I have the two zip files from the main page but not sure what really to do now..I've done all the steps so I can install homebrew but I didn't see it on the list of apps for WebOS Quick Install.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    You can get it from the app catalog or through preware app.
    File listing - Internalz are able to list files with directory structure. They have some service for this. Maybe pReader could take advantage of that service.

Question - is there a way to change todays file listing to show complete filename? Today it is too short. I usually see only author and not book name...