Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425263171 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Jappus,

I've tried to download the update via Preware (disabling Palm feeds) but it does not appear as an update. Tried using FileCoaster and although it shows up as an update, I receive an "error" message whenever I try to downlowd from there or it hangs on the downloading screen forever. I tried using PreLoader and it doesn't even show up as updated.

Something has clearly gone wrong in the update process.
    I had trouble finding it too - Look it up at Appetite *Stuff Your Palm It is listed there. You can enter your phone number at the site, which will in turn send you a test message with a link to down load the app. Works pretty sweet.

I think that either it has under gone an update that hasn't quite gotten posted yet, or it is being transitioned to the app catalog
  2.    #402  
    Quote Originally Posted by dmklein View Post
    I had trouble finding it too - Look it up at Appetite *Stuff Your Palm It is listed there. You can enter your phone number at the site, which will in turn send you a test message with a link to down load the app. Works pretty sweet.

I think that either it has under gone an update that hasn't quite gotten posted yet, or it is being transitioned to the app catalog
    Yeah, it lists the old v0.7.3 version I uploaded to the Beta-application area of the App Catalog a few weeks ago. That one doesn't appear in the App Catalog, except if you know the link to it, or have actually installed the application.

That version will be gone once Palm has finished reviewing v0.7.5 which I've set from "Beta" to "App Catalog". And that's the problem: Palm has not yet released it, but somehow it still appears somewhere where it can confuse the hell out of the PreCentral feed.
    I searched the apps catalog and found "popelli reader". Is this the same as pReader? If so, I copied an HTML file to my main Pre directory but it is not coming up when I open the popelli reader application.

thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by rokchukr View Post
    I searched the apps catalog and found "popelli reader". Is this the same as pReader?..
    Hi rokchukr, This app is not popelli reader. It is pReader. Sorry we are having some technical difficulties in moving from the homebrew app catalog to the palm app catalog. Hopefully in a day or two everything will be sorted out and pReader will be available to the masses.

And yes, once you get pReader, all you have to do is copy html (or pdb, prc, txt) over your Pre/Pixi usb drive connection (i.e. media partition) and pReader will see it when you tap "Add book to Library".
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Jappus,

i think the best to fix the preware problem is if you join the Wbosinternals chat. Then you can discuss it directktly wiht the preware developers. Normaly they are there fom about 8pm to 8am in Germany time zone.

Portal:Community - WebOS Internals

HaPe
  6.    #406  
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Jappus,

i think the best to fix the preware problem is if you join the Wbosinternals chat. Then you can discuss it directktly wiht the preware developers. Normaly they are there fom about 8pm to 8am in Germany time zone.

Portal:Community - WebOS Internals
    I'll try that. But unfortunately the problem has less to do with PreWare, and more to do with PreCentral, because for some reason, the pReader doesn't appear on their feed anymore. And without data from the feeds, PreWare can't do anything.

But well, asking doesn't hurt, and perhaps they know how to get things rolling again. Thanks for pointing it out.
  7.    #407  
    For those of you, who want a guide how to install the pReader while the AppCatalog/Homebrew mess gets cleared up, here are the two ways that work:

But a warning first (thanks Quintus!): Either of the two ways might make you lose your library; so only update them this way if you really need the new features, or you install the app for the first time.

The easiest way, which unfortunately will only get you version 0.7.3, is to go to this page. When you enter your mobile phone number, the app will be sent directly to you.

But if you want the newest version 0.7.5, then you have to use WebOS Quick Install. It can be downloaded here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...all-contd.html

Additionally, you will need the pReader's installer file, which you can get here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/attachm..._0.7.5_all.zip

As soon as you've started WebOS Quick install (it's really just a Java executable), simply attach your Pre/Pixi to your PC, and drag&drop the ipk file into the WebOS Quick Install window and then click on "Install". That's all you need to do.
    Last edited by Jappus; 01/25/2010 at 07:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Additionally, you will need the pReader's installer file, which you can get here:
    http://www.precentral.net/sites/prec..._0.7.5_all.ipk
    Jappus, my friend, your link is 404 Not Found.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
    Jappus, my friend, your link is 404 Not Found.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
    If you go to the first page on this thread, you'll find the file. That's how I always install it through QI.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    If you go to the first page on this thread, you'll find the file. That's how I always install it through QI.
    Worked....but warning that installing the program in this manner deletes your library's database and you have re-install your books.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Awsome search function!

Jappus, you've been told this before but this is one of the best Web apps out there. AWESOME!!!!

BTW: As an aside, I've completely converted to non-linear scroll mode. LOVE IT!

Suggestion: (1) Could you implement an option whereby tapping the screen while in scroll mode stops the scroll? Tapping it again would resume the scroll. This would be helpful as this would be a less distracting way to read instead of looking for the icon at the bottom right-hand corner.

(2) Could you prevent the screen from dimming and shutting-off while in scroll mode? I appreciate that this could be dangerous for those who pass out while reading but maybe have an increment option whereby the dimming and shut-off does not engage for 10 or 15 minutes. I would not mind tapping the screen every 10 minutes or so rather than every 3. I know that I could change the general preferences to do this but this is the only app where I would want a 10-15 minute setting for screen shut-off.

Thanks again for a great app!
  12.    #412  
    Worked....but warning that installing the program in this manner deletes your library's database and you have re-install your books.
    I changed my posting to reflect both your warning, and the fact that the PreCentral entry is now even more broken. When I wrote Dieter yesterday, at least the download worked. Anyways, the link now leads to the file I saved in the first post of this thread.

I've just written a PM to Dieter to tell him that something's seriously broken now, because I've just uploaded the ipk again to PreCentral, but it still returns a 404.
  13.    #413  
    Suggestion: (1) Could you implement an option whereby tapping the screen while in scroll mode stops the scroll? Tapping it again would resume the scroll. This would be helpful as this would be a less distracting way to read instead of looking for the icon at the bottom right-hand corner.
    As soon as the mess with the install process is cleared, I'll add that feature.

(2) Could you prevent the screen from dimming and shutting-off while in scroll mode? I appreciate that this could be dangerous for those who pass out while reading but maybe have an increment option whereby the dimming and shut-off does not engage for 10 or 15 minutes.
    Actually, the current version should send a "stop dimming for 15 minutes" message to WebOS. It worked in versions prior to WebOS 1.3.5, but obviously they've subtly changed it when they introduced the "stop dimming forever" call in 1.3.5. As soon as the mess is cleared, I'll have a look at it.
    The type of file I am trying to view says it is an HTML Help file. When I right click on the file, it says "Compiled HTML Help file (.chm)."

Will pReader be able to open this type of file?

Thanks Again,
    Bryan
  15.    #415  
    Quote Originally Posted by rokchukr View Post
    The type of file I am trying to view says it is an HTML Help file. When I right click on the file, it says "Compiled HTML Help file (.chm)."

Will pReader be able to open this type of file?
    The current version will not be able to open it, since it doesn't implement the compression method used by those files. But as soon as LIT support is added, CHM files will also be supported. Afterall, Microsoft LIT is CHM on steroids, which is HTML on steroids.

As for when? Well, that depends. If someone volunteers to do it, then sooner. If not, then later. As I said earlier, adding new formats to the pReader is rather easy, it just takes time and good documentation for the format.

If any one of you feels up to the task to implement Fictionbook, ePub, LIT, RTF or any other format, just drop me a note.
  16.    #416  
    Hello everyone.

I've just received the news, that Palm has accepted pReader v0.7.5 into the App Catalog. So, basically, it should work now. Yay!

/me crosses his fingers.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Hello everyone.

I've just received the news, that Palm has accepted pReader v0.7.5 into the App Catalog. So, basically, it should work now. Yay!

/me crosses his fingers.
    I just checked in to the App Catalog for other updates, not having seen this, and am being offered 0.7.5 via Palm. Congrats, Jappus!
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    just donated 5 bucks.
    nice app - stays free!?
  19.    #419  
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    nice app - stays free!?
    Forever, just like it says on the tin.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    just donated 5 bucks.
    nice app - stays free!?
    Jappus, when did you add a "donate" button? I'm off to donate as I'm sure many others will.

I use this app every day, many times a day. It has made the whole transition to the Pre so much better.

Thanks again!