Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242969 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #361  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just released version 0.7.3. It contains three big additions to the pReader:

1. Support for the MobiPocket DRM schemes. pReader will generate a unique device ID which you can add to your Mobipocket files over their website. As soon as you did that, such protected files are transparently opened for you. Alternatively, you can manually enter a Device ID of one of your already registered old devices; but do note that this latter feature might be removed from future versions of the pReader, if MobiPocket objects.
    2. Support for HTML files. But do note that the parser's very strict and will remove tags it does not know, or which it regards as dangerous (CSS style and script tags, for example). Tables will be decomposed into space/newline separated plain text. Image support is not fully implemented, but will be added in the next few versions. Links to external Websites will work, but not links that jump to a position in the local file (support for that will also be added later)
    3. Support for CP-936 / GBK encoded files. In other words, the Chinese standard encoding is now supported; no more conversion to UTF-8 is necessary, since pReader now does all that on-the-fly. Do note that there will be a brief pause whenever you open a book with that encoding for the first time after having shut down the pReader. The reason is that the translation table is compressed and has to be decompressed, before it can be used. If you don't use the CP-936, no speed penalty is present, apart from the fact that the pReader now uses 28kB more RAM

Apart from that, we fixed a number of minor issues here and there.

Happy reading!
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i just installed this newest update, but cannot find the device-id / the place where to change the device id.
    i tried to add a drm-file (mobipocket, prc) -> nothing changes, book is not read into library, no message
    now what?
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ... and i found that the meta-data-editor only works well in landscape-mode ???
    I just wanted to comment on how great this app is.

Jappus has managed to accomplish DRM things that others said was not even possible. I have been using this app to read from my Pre every night.

Thanks again for all your hard work.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  5.    #365  
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    i just installed this newest update, but cannot find the device-id / the place where to change the device id.
    i tried to add a drm-file (mobipocket, prc) -> nothing changes, book is not read into library, no message now what?
    Mhhhm, strange. The moment you add the file to the library, a dialog should pop up that shows you your device ID. Could you send me the file, so that I can verify what's up with that?

And could you please check whether or not the pReader was really updated to v0.7.3, because that "failure-to-properly-update" happened to Retrobits during development, too. WebOS can be finicky that way.

Quote Originally Posted by conum
    .. and i found that the meta-data-editor only works well in landscape-mode ???
    Could you be a bit more specific, because I just opened the Metadata-Editor both on my WebOS 1.3.1 Emulator, and on my recently migrated WebOS 1.3.5.2 Pre, and both work just fine. What exactly are the problems? Is something displayed wrong? Can't you enter something? Do the pop-up menus fail?

The more you can tell me, the more likely will I be able to reproduce and fix it. As they say: Knowing is half the battle.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i have the 0.7.3 installed (see screenshot1 from preware, as in your app there is no hint about the version).
    the metadata-editor works also in portrait-mode, but looks not so good (see other screenshot2 from within metadata-editor)
    the drm-file "kosmos_heilpflanzen.prc" is shown twice if i tap on "add book to library" and search for "kos" (in internalz there is only one instance of this file (see internalz-screenshot4).) if i tap on either of the two names, nothing happens, your app shows the library page without any new entry and without to have the chance to edit any metadata.
    i had tried to open this file in an earlier version, but was refused to be an unknown format or so.

ps i'm now on 1.3.5.2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I was an early user of pReader, but at some point ended up using Popelli more and haven't been following this thread. Popelli hasn't been updated in a long time, so I decided to check out pReader again.

WOW.

Between eReader, mobi and HTML, you've covered all the formats in my library. pReader easily and quickly opened files that Popelli Reader either choked on, or took 10s of minutes to parse.

You're correctly handling accented and special characters that Popelli just drops from the text, so you can't even see the unaccented character.

Your interface is clean and responsive.

In short, pReader has become a great app. Congratulations and thank you for your continued development!
  8.    #368  
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    i have the 0.7.3 installed (see screenshot1 from preware, as in your app there is no hint about the version).
    Just open your app launcher, tap on the menu button in the top-left corner and select "Anwendungsliste" (Since I assume that you have a German Pre, just like me ). The app that opens tells you the exact versions of all the tools you've got installed.

You see, there's no need for me to add a special version hint to the pReader, since WebOS has a central app for that.

the metadata-editor works also in portrait-mode, but looks not so good (see other screenshot2 from within metadata-editor)
    Yeah, I see what you mean. It seems as if WebOS uses the landscape layout for the scene, but displays it in upright mode. And I've actually found a way to reproduce it.

If I activate the "automatic" landscape mode in the preferences (it's the default), open a book, turn my Pre so that it goes into landscape mode and then execute the back-gesture to return to the library, and then open the Metadata editor and then turn my Pre upright again, I see exactly the same thing as you did.

It appears that the behaviour that I have to trigger with that convoluted action happens to you immediately. I'll fix that in the next version.

In the mean time, a workaround is to deactivate the automatic mode, and select a fixed landscaping mode in the Preferences view.

the drm-file "kosmos_heilpflanzen.prc" is shown twice if i tap on "add book to library" and search for "kos" (in internalz there is only one instance of this file (see internalz-screenshot4).) if i tap on either of the two names, nothing happens, your app shows the library page without any new entry and without to have the chance to edit any metadata.
    i had tried to open this file in an earlier version, but was refused to be an unknown format or so.
    Well, I can guess why it doesn't work that well: The file's 50 Megabytes big. I think that's a bit more than the pReader can currently handle, because the file loading backend I use is still a big, ugly hack.

As soon as I can get my hands on the native API (it looks like February or March, as far as I've heard), that problem will vanish, because I can then finally drop that ugly Javascript hack for loading files.

As for why your file appears twice: I guess you have stored it twice on the media partition, just in different folders. The current file listing API that's allowed by Palm simply doesn't care what folders the files are in. It will display ALL of them in one list.

That's why you find it once in InternalZ (because you can look at specific directories), and why it appears twice in the FilePicker API that I use in the pReader.

Thanks again for the bug report!
    very nice with the html support. I've been wanting that for a while. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Well, I can guess why it doesn't work that well: The file's 50 Megabytes big. I think that's a bit more than the pReader can currently handle, because the file loading backend I use is still a big, ugly hack.
    schade eigentlich ;-)
    we'll have to wait ...
    As for why your file appears twice: I guess you have stored it twice on the media partition, just in different folders. The current file listing API that's allowed by Palm simply doesn't care what folders the files are in. It will display ALL of them in one list
    yes, you're right, i had a copy of this file in classic - and forgot it over there after classics malfunction over the last month.
    thanks for your hard work
    Hi. After 1.3.5.2 I reinstalled the app. When I try to add a book, the program just hangs with the spinning wheel. Has the new directory structure of media/internal affected this app?

Update: After a reboot, it seems to be OK now.
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 01/13/2010 at 02:04 AM.
  12.    #372  
    By the way, has anyone of you a Pixi and uses pReader on it?

Because I'd really like to know how the pReader behaves on it. Afterall, the only difference in the Pixi Emulator is that it uses a smaller screen than the Pre Emulator, which is sort of unenlightening on that front.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quick question about this great app.

The only glitch I'm having is this:

I subscribe to a digital version of a magazine. I copy the contents to a MS Word file. I save this Word file to an HTML file. I convert the HTML file to a Mobipocket ebook with the free Mobi Creator program. When I open up the file, though, the images end up all over the document (not in the right places). I don't know why. This isn't an issue for regular books with no graphics, of course.

Overall though, I can't believe I finally have a reader as good as the Mobi reader for Palm OS. But this one issue puzzles me.

Thanks.
    Hello,

I have a different behavior when I read a .prc file upright or in landscape mode. Upright, everything works fine. When I tap in the lower half of the screen, the text advances, when I tap the upper half, the text scrolls back.

In landscape, I can tap anywhere on the screen, the text just scrolls back. Only the arrow is working to advance the text.

Also I noticed that the "scroll with tilt" feature doesn't seem to be working in both modes.

An what is that little recycling button for? When I hit it, the screen refresh is much slower. I refreshes line after line.

Greetings, Jost
  15.    #375  
    Quote Originally Posted by bugduk View Post
    I subscribe to a digital version of a magazine. I copy the contents to a MS Word file. I save this Word file to an HTML file. I convert the HTML file to a Mobipocket ebook with the free Mobi Creator program. When I open up the file, though, the images end up all over the document (not in the right places). I don't know why. This isn't an issue for regular books with no graphics, of course.
    Could you send me an example file for that issue, and the associated Word file as a reference? I've sent you my E-Mail address via PM.

Also, could you check if the MobiPocket file is correct? All you'd have to do is to download Calibre and import & open the file there. If the images are misplaced there too, then it's most likely an issue with the Mobi Creator.

Thanks!
  16.    #376  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jost View Post
    I have a different behavior when I read a .prc file upright or in landscape mode. Upright, everything works fine. When I tap in the lower half of the screen, the text advances, when I tap the upper half, the text scrolls back.

In landscape, I can tap anywhere on the screen, the text just scrolls back. Only the arrow is working to advance the text.
    I can reproduce the error, and am currently working on a fix. Interestingly enough, if you deactivate the belt-bar and tap the space where it used to be, the pReader scrolls down.

Also I noticed that the "scroll with tilt" feature doesn't seem to be working in both modes.
    Yeah, it's currently a stub that does absolutely nothing. I intend to use it later to advance the page by executing a tilt movement. But since I haven't yet figured out the best way to do that (and what movement to use), it's currently doing nothing.

And actually, it shouldn't be selectable at all, just visible. Strange.

An what is that little recycling button for? When I hit it, the screen refresh is much slower. I refreshes line after line.
    That's the button that activates / deactivates the autoscroll mode. If you activate it, the pReader scrolls without you needing to press or tap anything. Once it's activated, you can select the speed with the arrow keys, or through the Preferences menu.

And there are two autoscroll modes. The default "in-place" one, where the text is replaced, instead of scrolled; and a "linear" one, in which the entire page scrolls up.
  17.    #377  
    Good news, everyone!

I just released version 0.7.4.

It contains no new features, but fixes two small, but serious bugs. The first was the problem of tapping the screen to scroll in landscape mode. The second was a problem with the automatic landscaping mode not working right under certain circumstances.

Both are gone now.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    So maybe I'm just behind the times and didn't realize this worked but I just updated to pReader 0.7.4 via the built in Palm update process. I didn't know that would work. Tapped on Updates, it told me there were app updated. Tapped on the button and it opened up the app catalog page with "My apps". That page showed the update was out there for pReader 0.7.4 so I tapped on it and it installed.

Cool, didn't know you could do that with homebrew.
    I am loving that I'll only need one ebook application on my Pre to access my 10+ years worth of ebooks. But, I'm still encountering an annoying bug after all this time.

Some of my eReader files don't have dashes, apostrophes or quotes after being imported into pReader. I've try deleting and re-importing the books with different encodings and across multiple versions, but this still shows up, as recently as this morning on v. 0.74.

I'm getting by for the moment, though it is aggravating, especially with an app of this calibre. Hopefully, I'm just doing something noobish like missing a setting or something.

Any insights on this issue would be appreciated.
  20.    #380  
    Quote Originally Posted by satoribomb View Post
    Some of my eReader files don't have dashes, apostrophes or quotes after being imported into pReader. I've try deleting and re-importing the books with different encodings and across multiple versions, but this still shows up, as recently as this morning on v. 0.74.

Any insights on this issue would be appreciated.
    Could you send me a file where this happens? It would help me greatly to debug the issue.

By the way, have you tried setting the encoding to CP-1252 or UTF-8? There's an off-chance that you've selected the ASCII encoding as default in the preferences menu. It'd neatly explain your issue, since ASCII has no codes for long dashes and smart-quotes.

Do note that you don't need to reimport the files to select a different encoding. The encodings are only applied when the text is actually displayed to you. Internally, the pReader stores the raw bytes.