Page 18 of 72 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    As far as I can tell, pReader doesn't work with the ebooks you can get on mobipocket.com

You can download sample files with a .prc ending. pReader tells me the the format is not supported.

Am I missing something or is that a known issue?

Greetings, Jost
    Quote Originally Posted by Jost View Post
    As far as I can tell, pReader doesn't work with the ebooks you can get on mobipocket.com
    Hi Jost, Thanks for helping to test.

My reference to mobipocket.com was intended for a future release of pReader (0.7.3). The current version works only with drm free mobi files. With that being said, the sample prc files should work, unless they are compressed with Huff-CDIC compression, support for which is in progress.

Would it be possible to post the link of the sample file you were testing with?
    You can download serveral .prc-files on that page with the demoversion-buttons: Mobipocket eBooks: Krimi - Lesen auf Ihrem PC, Palm, Windows mobile, Symbian, Blackberry, oder PocketPC.

Greetings, Jost
    Jappus, Many Thanks for the awesome work. I am trying to open hebrew prc files and I am getting "Unsupported file format", I copied Hebrew fonts to /usr/share/fonts directory I then rebooted the phone and I am still getting the same error message, any hint on what I am doing wrong is appreciated? I know that the hebrew font works as I could now browse hebrew web pages and read the hebrew content correctly.

Thanks again keep up the great work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jost View Post
    You can download serveral .prc-files on that page with the demoversion-buttons: Mobipocket eBooks: Krimi - Lesen auf Ihrem PC, Palm, Windows mobile, Symbian, Blackberry, oder PocketPC.

Greetings, Jost
    Thanks again for the bug report Jost. This is now fixed for the next release as well (and svn). It was just a minor difference in the mobi header of those demo books that was causing the problem. It seems there are many varieties of mobipocket files. If anyone else has some (drm free) that won't load, please post links!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    That's mighty strange, because currently the library on my device contains over 75 books and it's still chugging along nicely. On the emulator, I had over a hundred books in it, without any problems.

Only the versions prior to v0.7.0 had problems with large libraries, the new 0.7.x line should allow an almost arbitrary number of books. Can you describe in more detail what happens when you add more books?

[ EDIT ]
    I just noticed: Please remember that the pReader's library is stored separately from the original source files. That means that once you import the files, the pReader won't use the original files anymore (the same is true for the Palm Reader, as far as I know). If you have filled the storage of your device almost completely and then try to import files into the pReader, well, at one point or another, you will run out of storage space. And if that happens, pReader of course can't add any more files to its internal library.
    The pReader simply trades space for CPU time, because the latter is always scarce on WebOS due to everything being written in Javascript.
    [ /EDIT ]

Basically, you can select ANY possible colour you desire. Simply select "Custom" and then write in either the HTML name, or the hexadecimal code for the colour in the text box below the selector.

For example, "blue" will net you a blue background, "red" a red one and "#736AFF" will get you something called a "light slate blue". If you want to know more about those codes, look here. The same is true for text colours, by the way.

I know that a real, visual colour picker would be better, from a UI point of view, because most users don't know what the html codes are. But writing a good colour picker is not exactly an easy task. Most GUI libraries contain those pickers because no one wants to write them again and again. Unfortunately, the WebOS developers didn't give us one...
    Sorry there! I meant to get back to you.. Either the last update helped...or it was the homemade PDBs I was using...
    Once I found out that PRC (un-drm'd, of course) works, I switched and now I have at least 50 ebooks...and I'm sure I can add to that....except I have lead-fingers where I end up pushing the wrong ebook open when I scroll! Lol...

Otherwise....freakin' fantastic! I'm so stoked! I'll figure out the text colors when I read that other post you gave a link to....but, I've actually gotten used to using Dark Grey for text when reading at night....works just fine.

Much obliged with the program...and I'm not sure why your reader isn't available in the catalog yet...but, perhaps it's just a matter of time... Hope so. You deserve the accolades!

****I just checked out the color codes and they work like a charm! Fantastic! Much easier than I thought... thank you!
    Last edited by couch1970; 01/03/2010 at 03:21 PM.
  7.    #347  
    Quote Originally Posted by eli101 View Post
    Jappus, Many Thanks for the awesome work. I am trying to open hebrew prc files and I am getting "Unsupported file format", I copied Hebrew fonts to /usr/share/fonts directory I then rebooted the phone and I am still getting the same error message, any hint on what I am doing wrong is appreciated? I know that the hebrew font works as I could now browse hebrew web pages and read the hebrew content correctly.
    Could you send me the file, so that I can check out what format it's in? Or do you know whether it's a PalmDOC, eReader, MobiPocket or text file?

In the meantime, you can try the latter option. Just get or type up a hebrew text file that's encoded in UTF-8 and load it onto your device. Then try to open it with the pReader. Remember that you have to change the encoding of the file to UTF-8 once you've opened it (or set the default encoding in the preferences menu to UTF-8 if you expect that most of your files will be encoded that way). That should work and allow you to test whether pReader correctly uses the font you specified in the preferences.
  8.    #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by couch1970 View Post
    Much obliged with the program...and I'm not sure why your reader isn't available in the catalog yet...but, perhaps it's just a matter of time... Hope so. You deserve the accolades!
    The pReader will be in the App Catalog eventually. But up till now, the entire application was much too fluid to appear on it. It's still Beta-Level software afterall. But in my mind, it's coming closer and closer to the point where I can honestly say that it could be released in the official App Catalog. Of course that in and of itself will take time, since Palm needs to approve it.

To tell you the truth, the real big issue is whether or not Palm will release a "Native SDK" soon, because with it, the performance of the pReader could be boosted by another order of magnitude. It would be unfortunate if we publish the pReader in the App Catalog just to find out that the Native SDK appears a week later.

So basically, our current roadmap is to concentrate on releasing v0.7.3 that'll bring support for MobiPocket DRM and HTML books. After that, Retrobits and I will deliberate whether or not we get onto the App Catalog or wait a bit for the Native SDK first.

So there you have it.
    here is my question:
    1) When putting in my font name under preferences, do I need to type the full path /usr/share/fonts/myfont.ttf or just myfont.ttf?
    2) Under preferences/Def. encoding, should I choice UTF-8 or CP-1255 (Hebrew).

This is what I experienced, I opened notepad and saved a file with hebrew letters as UTF-8, then copied the file to palm and tried opening the file with pReader. When selecting CP-1255 (Hebrew) some hebrew letters will show correct and some letters will just show box's, when I change to UTF-8 and changing the font/custom with my font (I used a windows unicode font from c:\windows\fonts\ARIALUNI.TTF) I get a mix of box's and English letters.

Please find attached one of the hebrew prc files I am trying to open.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    The pReader will be in the App Catalog eventually. But up till now, the entire application was much too fluid to appear on it. It's still Beta-Level software afterall. But in my mind, it's coming closer and closer to the point where I can honestly say that it could be released in the official App Catalog. Of course that in and of itself will take time, since Palm needs to approve it.

To tell you the truth, the real big issue is whether or not Palm will release a "Native SDK" soon, because with it, the performance of the pReader could be boosted by another order of magnitude. It would be unfortunate if we publish the pReader in the App Catalog just to find out that the Native SDK appears a week later.

So basically, our current roadmap is to concentrate on releasing v0.7.3 that'll bring support for MobiPocket DRM and HTML books. After that, Retrobits and I will deliberate whether or not we get onto the App Catalog or wait a bit for the Native SDK first.

So there you have it.
    Can't wait for v0.7.3. I'm happy you're considering or going into the App Catalog. There are many who won't be able to use this treasure of a reader w/o it appearing in the main catalog.

Not everyone is lucky enough to be aware of the homebrew community and your app already does what the currently available book readers don't. You're app enable us to continue to expand our e-reader DRM library w/o having to learn to convert our books. It allows scrolling and it allows us to read our books in full screen mode.

Although I have a boatload of books in MobiPocket DRM format, your app is already for primetime w/o it. Keep up the great work!
  11.    #351  
    here is my question:
    1) When putting in my font name under preferences, do I need to type the full path /usr/share/fonts/myfont.ttf or just myfont.ttf?
    Neither, actually. The ONLY way it works is if you specify the name of the font, and not that of the file.

As an example, on my PC I have a font from a file named "bkant.ttf". That's the name of the file; but the font's actual name is: "Book Antiqua". So if I had installed that font on my Pre/Pixi, the custom name I'd have to enter would be: "Book Antiqua".

The reason for that is simple: When a program specifies a font, it can't and shouldn't specify a filename, or even a specific folder, because different users on different operating systems on different platforms will have their fonts stored in different places and under different filenames; and sometimes even in different font container formats (TrueType, Postscript, Bitmaps, Type1, and so on).

But one thing is immutable: The name of the font itself. No matter where and how the font is stored, "Book Antiqua" will always mean a font that more or less looks the same on all platforms; if it exists at all.

So, since you copied over the "Arialuni.ttf" from your Windows box, what you need to enter is "Arial Unicode MS", since that's its name. Under Windows, simply double-click on the font and it opens an application that tells you exactly that name.

2) Under preferences/Def. encoding, should I choice UTF-8 or CP-1255 (Hebrew).
    That depends on what encoding you use for most of your files. For example, all eReader documents are encoded in CP-1251. MobiPocket books can be either in CP-1251 or UTF-8. PalmDOC's can be in everything but UTF-8. Only text files can come in any encoding.

Unfortunately, there's no reliable way to tell what encoding a file's in, except to open it and look whether it produces garbage or not. That's why I allow the user to specify the default encoding, and why he or she needs to manually change it for each file not in that encoding.

Do note that there's no harm in loading a file with one encoding first and then changing it later. You don't need to reload the file again, since pReader internally doesn't care what encoding you use, it's only a matter of how the file's displayed to you.

This is what I experienced, I opened notepad and saved a file with hebrew letters as UTF-8, then copied the file to palm and tried opening the file with pReader. When selecting CP-1255 (Hebrew) some hebrew letters will show correct and some letters will just show box's, when I change to UTF-8 and changing the font/custom with my font (I used a windows unicode font from c:\windows\fonts\ARIALUNI.TTF) I get a mix of box's and English letters.
    Notepad's unreliable as far as UTF-8 is concerned. Better use Wordpad and explicitly select "Unicode text file" when you save it. Or, better yet, use an editor like jEdit that allows you to explicitly save/open it under ANY encoding.

Please find attached one of the hebrew prc files I am trying to open.
    Unfortunately, the file you provided isn't an eBook at all. It's a PalmOS application that uses its own internal format. The only hope of using that file is to use "MotionApps Classic" to emulate PalmOS and then try to run it.

I've attached an example file to this posting. It's should be the first part of the book of Genesis in Hebrew and is encoded with CP-1255. Do note that I have no clue whether that file is stored in correct Right-To-Left mode at all. But the characters themselves are rendered correctly in the pReader if I use the "Arial Unicode MS" font.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [QUOTE=retrobits;2120429]Yep, just log into your ereader bookshelf page using the Pre browser and click the download button on the far right side. pReader will see the file when you add a new book.

This does not seem to work if the iphone spoof is installed. ereader thinks you have an iphone and does not give you the download option -- only the "send to iphone" option. Can you think of a workaround? The spoof is nice for most websites but so is the download function in ereader.
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    `
    This does not seem to work if the iphone spoof is installed. ereader thinks you have an iphone and does not give you the download option -- only the "send to iphone" option. Can you think of a workaround? The spoof is nice for most websites but so is the download function in ereader.
    Sorry, I can't think of a good work around. I'd never heard of the iphone spoof before, so I did some reading in the appropriate thread. Apparently there are other users asking for a feature to toggle or disable this user-agent hack for certain sites. Hopefully this can/will be implemented soon.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Jappus, retrobits:

New annoying behavior noticed. Had added a bunch of books to the library, and was in the middle of one. pReader was minimized to a card with the book open, and I closed it by swiping the card away before doing the preparation for upgrading to 1.3.5.1.

After I got things put back the way I wanted, I reopened pReader, as it's one of the apps I leave running all the time. I had to readd the books I'd most recently added (and reedit their metadata), and lost my spot in the book I was reading - I had to advance quite a bit to catch where I was.

I guess the way things are now, I need to a) swipe back to the library to save my place in a book before killing the app and b) close from the library to write all new library data to the appropriate places. It's somewhat annoying, are either of these something that can be changed?

If this doesn't make full sense, please let me know, I'll try and explain better.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
    Jappus, retrobits:

New annoying behavior noticed. Had added a bunch of books to the library, and was in the middle of one. pReader was minimized to a card with the book open, and I closed it by swiping the card away... I reopened pReader, as it's one of the apps I leave running all the time. I had to readd the books I'd most recently added (and reedit their metadata)...
    I had the exact same thing happen to me a few days ago. I was sure this bug was fixed when we abandoned the Mojo.Depot for storage, but I guess not quite. I had to add a half dozen books back into the library that had gone missing (the ones I most recently added). An interesting thing is that when I added a missing one and tried to open it, it gave an error that it could not open the book. After deleting and adding once again, then it would open. Unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce this since and therefore its very difficult to determine the cause.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobits View Post
    I had the exact same thing happen to me a few days ago. I was sure this bug was fixed when we abandoned the Mojo.Depot for storage, but I guess not quite. I had to add a half dozen books back into the library that had gone missing (the ones I most recently added). An interesting thing is that when I added a missing one and tried to open it, it gave an error that it could not open the book. After deleting and adding once again, then it would open. Unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce this since and therefore its very difficult to determine the cause.
    Ooh, yeah. I had the "can't open" error happen too, had to delete them and re-add them.
  17.    #357  
    Ooh, yeah. I had the "can't open" error happen too, had to delete them and re-add them.
    Yeah, that's one of the errors I know of, but it's a really, really tricky one.

You see, for performance reasons pReader separates your library data from the actual data of the books. So when the library data for the book is removed, but not the associated actual data, then pReader throws the above mentioned error when you re-add the file and try to open it for the first time. And the same happens when the library data isn't removed, but the actual data is. In that case, opening the entry of course yields nothing. When everything works out right, neither case should ever happen; but crashes or WebOS weirdness can cause some slight complications.

While the pReader's behaviour in the latter situation is absolutely correct, it's the first one that's buggy. When no library data exists, but actual data does; then pReader should delete the actual data before it adds the new data upon re-adding the book to the library. Unfortunately, in some cases, that doesn't work right and pReader complains with the above error. Currently, only "properly" deleting both parts resolves that error. Of course, I intend to fix that eventually.

So to make a long story short: Yeah, there's a bug in the current implementation that causes the pReader to react weirdly after a crash or unclean shutdown. But well, reacting non-weird after something weird already happened is a science in and of itself.

As for your problem with the data, library and current reading position not being saved: It sounds like I forgot a case in which it is necessary to save the relevant data. As soon as I've got the time, I'll look into that.
    Only the issue with the current reading position surprises me, since that one's stored every time you go to another page. Strange, indeed.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Jappus,

Thanks for the explanations. One more (faux) bug report - you misspelled "color" in the prefs pane/scene.

Cheers!
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jappus,

Thanks for the explanations. One more (faux) bug report - you misspelled "color" in the prefs pane/scene.

Cheers!
    Colour is NOT misspelled. That is the correct Canadian/English spelling, my friend! Just another example of you darn Americans trying to impose your will on everyone else!
  20.    #360  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    One more (faux) bug report - you misspelled "color" in the prefs pane/scene.
    Colour is NOT misspelled. That is the correct Canadian/English spelling, my friend! Just another example of you darn Americans trying to impose your will on everyone else!
    There's irony, double irony and what we see here is the infamous infinite irony. A strange new world where no one's sure anymore what's joking, what's serious and what has happened to the cockatoo on the bust of Pallas.

Nevermore!