Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021222767 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #321  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Jappus and Jerry, I think I found the problem. When I was confirming the page down with space bar, it turned out that scroll preference wasn't checked. Thus, it scrolled, but not w/o messing up words. When I turned on Linear scroll mode in preferences and went back to my book, it worked perfectly.
    Fixed it for me! Thanks!
    Yes, that setting fixes it, but not because it fixes the in-place autoscroll, but because it tells pReader to use another autoscroll mechanism altogether.

Obviously, when I implemented that second "linear" mode, I subtly broke the original "in-place" autoscroll mode. As soon as the holidays are over, I'm going to dig into it and see how I can fix it. Because, you know, I really like the in-place scrolling mode, which is why it's also the default.

But yeah, at the moment, choosing the linear scroll mode is a valid workaround for that issue.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jappus,

Both scrolling modes are working fine for me. I am using ereader books with DRM.

Ironically, I can't decide now which I prefer better!
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Only what to thank you for that decision. I do not like to have all my data send to a server/service that I do not know what is happening there.
    By the way, I was not aware that the popelli reader is doing it that way. Is it documented in any way for the user? If not I would assume this as a critical point.

HaPe
    First of all, the only time data is sent to the Popelli Reader's server is when you are trying to read something other than an HTML or txt file. This is because the conversion to make it into a format that can be read by Popelli Reader is done on that external server before it's sent back to your Pre. And secondly, this most certainly is in the documentation for the app. I would post a screenshot, but I only have an old, expired copy of Popelli Reader. (Ever since pReader has gotten better and better, I've stopped using Popelli. ) Regardless, I very distinctly remember reading about this in the rather extensive help file located on the application menu when you run Popelli Reader. There's also been a little bit of discussion about it on the forum, due to some people not being able to open a new book when they had their device in airplane mode. I highly recommend reading the help files, folks. If you don't and something comes as a surprise to you, you only have yourself to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Jappus,

Both scrolling modes are working fine for me. I am using ereader books with DRM.

Ironically, I can't decide now which I prefer better!
    For what it's worth, my in-place autoscroll is not working. The linear scroll works just fine, but when I turn that off, I get the same overlapped mess as seen in bdhu2001's screenshots, and it happens no matter what format. I've tried DRM ereader books, non-DRM ereader books, and non-DRM Mobipocket books, and they all do the same exact thing. I'm using pReader version 0.7.1. It's no big deal for me personally - I really hardly ever use autoscroll - but I thought I'd throw that out there. I find myself quite jealous of Quintus' good fortune. I wonder what makes his work but mine not work?

Anyway, I hope everyone had/is having a wonderful Christmas! Jappus, take a break for at least a day or two - you've earned it!
    I love what you are doing with this app. When I moved to the Pre, being a loooong time PalmOS user, I was frustrated with not having a good reader, like eReader for DRM files. I have found pReader, and am now happy. eReader is now history. Both Autoscroll options are working for me (and were a vital requirement for me). Suggestions for improvement are: 1. Make linear scrolling "smooth" - the jerky line advance is very distracting; I use the non-linear method, but actually want a smooth linear scroll. 2. Have a color-pallette selection option for colors.
    Tip for newbies (ie. me) - If your formatting is crap, with punctuation marks in the wrong place, turn on the "Left to right" option :-)
    I would like to use an offline version of Wikipedia with pReader but pReader doesn't load the files. Can anyone help me with this problem? May it be because the files are too big (up to 50mb for each file).
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jappus,

I have another suggestion for you. Can the app automatically stop auto-scrolling whenever you minimize it using the centre button? I've found myself minimizing the app then going back to it only to find that it has been auto-scrolling all along and then having to relocate my position in the book. Not sure if WebOS would allow this type of auto-pausing.

BTW, did you notice that your app was featured in the last (actually second to last) Precentral podcast?
  7.    #327  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    I have another suggestion for you. Can the app automatically stop auto-scrolling whenever you minimize it using the centre button? I've found myself minimizing the app then going back to it only to find that it has been auto-scrolling all along and then having to relocate my position in the book. Not sure if WebOS would allow this type of auto-pausing.
    I've fixed that problem. It was simply an oversight of me that caused a number of such minor bugs. The v0.7.2 which I'll release later this day should fix that problem.

Alas! I still have found no fix for the problems with the in-place scrolling that were pointed out earlier in this thread. Neither I nor Retrobits can reproduce that problem in any way. The damning fact is that I know most likely what happens, but I have no clue how it might happen; and as such can neither reproduce nor fix it. While searching for the bug we've fixed the above errors, but we don't thing a fix for the above strangeness was among them.

At this point, all I can do is to hope that an uninstall + upgrade to v0.7.2 will miraculously fix it. If not, then I simply have to wait till I somehow manage to trigger it.

BTW, did you notice that your app was featured in the last (actually second to last) Precentral podcast?
    Actually, no. I rarely listen to podcasts. Thanks for pointing it out!
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jappus,

I feel like I have my very own developer on salary! Every time I post a request, it shows up in the next version. Thanks again and again and again!!! LOL!
  9.    #329  
    Good news, everyone!

I just released version 0.7.2. Among other things, it dramatically speeds up file import. I'm talking of a speed gain of an order of magnitude, 10-20x for eReader files, for example. Thanks go to Retrobits who profiled the entire app and noticed the bottleneck.

As mentioned above, it also repairs some of the problems with the autoscroll. Unfortunately, we don't know if it fixes the problem with "in-place" autoscrolling mode overwriting the old page, instead of clearing it; because we can't actually reproduce the issue. If the update doesn't fix it, you might try uninstalling and the reinstalling the app.

The last of the bigger changes is the introduction of a forced fullscreen mode, in which the top bar is always hidden during reading.

Happy reading!
    Hey...I really DO like the pReader...simply because it has accelerometer capabilities and I can change the fonts AND the size of them...whereas with Popelli, I'm kinda stuck with either Largest which is JUST a tad bit too big...or Large which is really not large enough...which is fine. It's still a great product.

But, I've come across a big problem (for me) with both Popelli and the pReader. The limitation of the Library on both programs. It seems, that you can only hold about 15-18 books on the pReader before it won't let you add anymore...and it won't even let you open the ones you already HAVE opened!
    With Popelli, it's a bit better and I've gotten up to 32 books open in my library before it freezes and I can't open anymore or any existing titles...
    With the pReader, I guess it's ok because you can always open a new book relatively fast...but with Popelli, it can take a few minutes to completely download (if other than HTML or TXT) and THAT'S a big problem..

And, it's a big problem with the pReader in my opinion. With MobiPocket, or even eReader, I was able to have, literally, hundreds of titles in my device's library... I even had 1000 titles on my Palm Centro, for cryin' out loud!
    Now, I have the most advanced phone known to man and I can only open a few books at a time?? I have a HUUUGE library...and was hoping to be able to have quite a few books loaded as I don't read just one book at a time... I tend to read about 4-5 books at any given sitting...well...most of the time. I do get caught up in a single book just like anyone else...but it's a pain in the behind to have to hunt for a new book to upload...and then find out that you've already exceeded the limits of the program you're using..

I guess what I'm asking is....Is there anyway to increase the library limits?? If I could have even 50 books loaded, that would be better than nothing. It's obvious that loading 100 or more books to a on-device library is beyond either the device's capability...or the program's capability. Most ebook readers have big libraries that they'd like to upload to their phones...if possible.
    I feel like I need to scrap my Palm Pre now and buy (egads!) an iPhone to use Stanza..
    Please help or give me an idea of what I can do to add more titles to my pReader's library?? Much appreciated... And, again, it's still a great product...but it'd be nice to increase the storage capabilities..

Also..one more thing...will there ever be anymore colors added to change the text colors?? Maybe green and/or blue? It's a bit easier on the eyes when reading at night to have a black background with green text...which is why I still use the Popelli reader because I can read at night with it a bit better than with the pReader...

Thanks again for a great product!

One more thing....Did I hear right? Does the latest update REMOVE the top bar while reading? That's another thing that would be cool to remedy. I don't always read in landscape and tend to use the spacebar to scroll down so it would help to get rid of the top bar. I just updated and it seems to be the same as it was before... Hrmm? Maybe I misread, huh?

Never mind! I'm an *****! I saw the switch for Full Screen Mode! Good call on that one! Thanks!
    Last edited by couch1970; 12/28/2009 at 01:43 AM.
    I just realized that I can open my PRC files with pReader now!! That's HUUUUUGE!!!
    So far, I was changing all my ebooks into PDBs because that's all I thought the pReader could handle. I just opened up a PRC that I made with MobiPocket Publisher...and it looks fantastic!! And it shows the images as well!! That's good!!

Thanks man!! Rock on!! Now all we need to do is add a color palette and increase storage size! Lol....thanks man!
  12.    #332  
    Quote Originally Posted by couch1970 View Post
    But, I've come across a big problem (for me) with both Popelli and the pReader. The limitation of the Library on both programs. It seems, that you can only hold about 15-18 books on the pReader before it won't let you add anymore...and it won't even let you open the ones you already HAVE opened!
    That's mighty strange, because currently the library on my device contains over 75 books and it's still chugging along nicely. On the emulator, I had over a hundred books in it, without any problems.

Only the versions prior to v0.7.0 had problems with large libraries, the new 0.7.x line should allow an almost arbitrary number of books. Can you describe in more detail what happens when you add more books?

[ EDIT ]
    I just noticed: Please remember that the pReader's library is stored separately from the original source files. That means that once you import the files, the pReader won't use the original files anymore (the same is true for the Palm Reader, as far as I know). If you have filled the storage of your device almost completely and then try to import files into the pReader, well, at one point or another, you will run out of storage space. And if that happens, pReader of course can't add any more files to its internal library.
    The pReader simply trades space for CPU time, because the latter is always scarce on WebOS due to everything being written in Javascript.
    [ /EDIT ]

Also..one more thing...will there ever be anymore colors added to change the text colors?? Maybe green and/or blue? It's a bit easier on the eyes when reading at night to have a black background with green text...which is why I still use the Popelli reader because I can read at night with it a bit better than with the pReader...
    Basically, you can select ANY possible colour you desire. Simply select "Custom" and then write in either the HTML name, or the hexadecimal code for the colour in the text box below the selector.

For example, "blue" will net you a blue background, "red" a red one and "#736AFF" will get you something called a "light slate blue". If you want to know more about those codes, look here. The same is true for text colours, by the way.

I know that a real, visual colour picker would be better, from a UI point of view, because most users don't know what the html codes are. But writing a good colour picker is not exactly an easy task. Most GUI libraries contain those pickers because no one wants to write them again and again. Unfortunately, the WebOS developers didn't give us one...
    Last edited by Jappus; 12/28/2009 at 05:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagbag View Post
    I would like to use an offline version of Wikipedia with pReader but pReader doesn't load the files. Can anyone help me with this problem? May it be because the files are too big (up to 50mb for each file).
    to pick this up: he's most probably talking about this version of the Mobipocket Wikipedia, which unfortunately doesn't seem to work with pReader - you add the eBook and nothing happens after that. There are also other versions of that file (this one, for example, is/was very popular for german users), they also don't work.
    It would be really appreciated if you could have a look into this and try to make it work, as an offline wikipedia is imho one of the most important tools for many smartphone users.

BTW: what about TomeRaider files, are there any plans to make them readable? Would be awesome
  14.    #334  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncy View Post
    to pick this up: he's most probably talking about this version of the Mobipocket Wikipedia, which unfortunately doesn't seem to work with pReader - you add the eBook and nothing happens after that. There are also other versions of that file (this one, for example, is/was very popular for german users), they also don't work.
    It would be really appreciated if you could have a look into this and try to make it work, as an offline wikipedia is imho one of the most important tools for many smartphone users.
    Well, the problem with those Mobipocket files is that they heavily rely on cross-file links. Unfortunately, the current design of the pReader doesn't allow that at all. Furthermore, trying to process 500MB worth of files would be insanely slow. Javascript is just not suited for processing those amounts of data. Furthermore, since the database storage on WebOS incurs a rather high overhead (at least 4x), it'd mean that importing the whole thing into the library itself is practically impossible.

Manually loading single files should work though. I'll take a look at it later.

Basically, the only fast way to implement an offline Wikipedia reader would be to create a fork of the pReader that yanks out all the unnecessary stuff and concentrates explicitly on the Mobipocket format as used by the Wikipedia. And since the pReader's completely GPL'ed, anyone (who's a programmer ) can do it.

BTW: what about TomeRaider files, are there any plans to make them readable? Would be awesome
    As long as the documentation for that format is freely available, support will be added eventually. Unfortunately, I can only spend a small amount of my free time on the pReader, since I'm currently in the last leg of my diploma studies, where preparing for my final exams and diploma thesis simply has priority.

But as I said earlier: Adding support for new formats into the pReader is rather easy, it's just a matter of having enough free time to do it. If someone volunteers to implement it, I'll gladly add it. That's why I GPL'ed the pReader to begin with.

If anyone of you feels up to the task, just drop me a note.
    I've used eReader for years on my various Palm devices and was so sad that I wouldn't have it on my Pre that I dug out one of my old Palms to use as a reader. I was thrilled to discover pReader and while it took me a bit to figure out how to install homebrew apps on my device it was worth the effort.

It is just as easy as it was on my Centro to purchase and download books directly off the eReader site to my phone. Love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by gydnew View Post
    I've used eReader for years on my various Palm devices and was so sad that I wouldn't have it on my Pre that I dug out one of my old Palms to use as a reader. I was thrilled to discover pReader and while it took me a bit to figure out how to install homebrew apps on my device it was worth the effort.

It is just as easy as it was on my Centro to purchase and download books directly off the eReader site to my phone. Love it!
    Okay, I've been downloading to my PC and then dragging to Pre, via usb, you mean it's unnecessary to load to PC 1st? Somehow I missed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Okay, I've been downloading to my PC and then dragging to Pre, via usb, you mean it's unnecessary to load to PC 1st?...
    Yep, just log into your ereader bookshelf page using the Pre browser and click the download button on the far right side. pReader will see the file when you add a new book.

In the next release (0.7.3) you can do this on mobipocket.com too! Just got it working for the first time today.
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobits View Post
    Yep, just log into your ereader bookshelf page using the Pre browser and click the download button on the far right side. pReader will see the file when you add a new book.

In the next release (0.7.3) you can do this on mobipocket.com too! Just got it working for the first time today.
    Okay, this is too much. I've know I've been good this year, but Santa has been awesome!!! Who knew that Santa's helpers reside at PreCentral.Palm It must be pretty cold at the north pole, but I guess technology and coming up with great ideas is keep the homebrew community warm.
  19.    #339  
    By the way. For all of you who want to read Hebrew files, but haven't found a way to install a Hebrew-capable font, here's a step-by-step guide for you:

http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post1993624

Do note that you don't actually need to overwrite one of the Palm fonts. Simply copy your font into the /usr/share/fonts folder and restart you Palm. Afterwards you can specify the font name in the pReader's Preferences menu.

The same applies if you want a better font for, say, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean or even Klingon if you are so inclined.
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobits View Post

What a great app!
    Laissez Faire