Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202565 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Ey, I was waiting for this version since the other one was taking forever to charge a Vademecum ebook (mobipocket)
    But this version doesnīt open either.

This is my book what can you tell me!?

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
  2.    #282  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    That's great news. Does is support encrypted MobiPocket?
    At the moment, no. But support for it will come, as soon as we've implemented the Huff+CDIC decompression algorithm and the Pukall Cipher 1 decryption algorithm. I've already found free implementations of them in Python and C code, so basically it all boils down to converting them to Javascript and figuring out how they're combined / used in the various MobiPocket formats.

In other words: It's on the ToDo list.

Quote Originally Posted by bolija View Post
    Ey, I was waiting for this version since the other one was taking forever to charge a Vademecum ebook (mobipocket)
    But this version doesnīt open either.

This is my book what can you tell me!?
    Sorry, I had forgotten to add that issue to the "known problems". Retrobits already noticed that some non-DRM MobiPocket files don't load. We put the issue on the list for v0.7.1, since we deemed it better to release v0.7.0 into the wild, and patch up the MobiPocket stuff for the next version release.

The problem with MobiPocket is that there are a lot of different programs that all create slightly different MobiPocket files that are only weakly documented most of the time. Basically, everything but the first few bytes is highly variable in the MobiPocket format.

Thanks for giving us another file with which we can debug those problems.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Jappus,

Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Sorry, I had forgotten to add that issue to the "known problems". Retrobits already noticed that some non-DRM MobiPocket files don't load. We put the issue on the list for v0.7.1, since we deemed it better to release v0.7.0 into the wild, and patch up the MobiPocket stuff for the next version release.

The problem with MobiPocket is that there are a lot of different programs that all create slightly different MobiPocket files that are only weakly documented most of the time. Basically, everything but the first few bytes is highly variable in the MobiPocket format.
    I seem to have gotten bit by this bug with the 0.7.0 release. Mobipocket (.prc) files I've obtained from manybooks.net aren't loading now, and they used to. I just get a continual spinner.

I'd be happy to send you the files, or I can point you to their downloads from manybooks.

One other thing I've noticed - when using "Goto Percentage", if I want to enter the percentage manually, rather than use the slider, I have to hit the orange key to enter numbers rather than just entering them. It would make sense to me that if I want to enter text into that field, it should automatically expect numbers. Is that something that can be done?
    Last edited by kuoirad; 12/21/2009 at 10:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Jappus,

Thanks for the update and all your hard work. Just loaded the update and pulled in my test books again. Looks good so far. Is there any way you could store the drm code info for ereader.com books and then use that as the default when opening the next drm book? I know some of the dedicated ereader out there do this and it's nice not to need to reenter the same info for each book. Just hoping it's on your todo list.

Thanks again
    -B
    I could imagine that was happening!
    Thanks anyway, we will be waiting por 0.7.1.
  6.    #286  
    Quote Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
    I seem to have gotten bit by this bug with the 0.7.0 release. Mobipocket (.prc) files I've obtained from manybooks.net aren't loading now, and they used to. I just get a continual spinner.

I'd be happy to send you the files, or I can point you to their downloads from manybooks.
    I've tracked down the (most likely) reason of the error, and it has to do with the new image support. Basically, at one point I check whether a given string is a number or not. Unfortunately I had forgotten that "num == Number.NaN" always returns false, since you can't compare anything to the NaN primitive.

The bug should be fixed now, and I'll release v0.7.1 shortly.

Also, the file Bolija gave me now finishes loading and can be displayed, at least on the Emulator. I haven't tested it on the device yet. Unfortunately something seems off with the file, because some HTML tags are horribly butchered. Even Calibre HORRIBLY crashes if I tell it to preview the file (and it takes ages to load the file).

The pReader doesn't crash, but the deeper you go into the book, the more slight errors happen, like stuck bold-/italics tags and so on.

One other thing I've noticed - when using "Goto Percentage", if I want to enter the percentage manually, rather than use the slider, I have to hit the orange key to enter numbers rather than just entering them. It would make sense to me that if I want to enter text into that field, it should automatically expect numbers. Is that something that can be done?
    Done. The textfield should default to "NumLock on" in v0.7.1.

[EDIT]
    I just noticed that I misunderstood the API a small bit. It causes no error, except that NumLock is not auto-activated in 0.7.1. I fixed it in the SVN. To make a long story short: The auto-numlock feature will be in v0.7.2, not 0.7.1.
    Last edited by Jappus; 12/21/2009 at 12:55 PM.
  7.    #287  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccoy68 View Post
    Jappus,

Thanks for the update and all your hard work. Just loaded the update and pulled in my test books again. Looks good so far. Is there any way you could store the drm code info for ereader.com books and then use that as the default when opening the next drm book? I know some of the dedicated ereader out there do this and it's nice not to need to reenter the same info for each book. Just hoping it's on your todo list.
    Mhhhm, as nice as that idea is, it'd come with a gaping security hole, because I'd need to store the credentials on disk. Which would be bad since they're usually your credit card details. I could encrypt them with a Blowfish cipher, but then you'd have to enter a "master password" again and your credentials would reside in memory as long as the app's open.

I'll think about it. But if I do it, I'll have to implement something like the Keyring / Safebox app in the pReader, which will take time; both for implementation and for making sure that it's secure.
    Last edited by Jappus; 12/21/2009 at 12:57 PM.
    Hello,
    now i use the new version of preader and i have the same Problem like bevor also with pdb files (plain txt content)

I can not open html files, so how do i convert them to this "PalmDOC" format (for windows/linux please)? I can only make pdb files with doc, ereader and ztxt as format, but not html -.-

[EDIT]
    Linear scrollmode hops from 1 line to the next with no error, so i can live with this. Thanks again
  9.    #289  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweety81 View Post
    Hello,
    now i use the new version of preader and i have the same Problem like bevor also with pdb files (plain txt content)
    Mhhhm, strange. Very strange. I'll try the file you gave me again and see if I notice the bug.
    If you can, could you tell me whether it always happens, or if it happens only with some pages of the files?

I can not open html files, so how do i convert them to this "PalmDOC" format (for windows/linux please)? I can only make pdb files with doc, ereader and ztxt as format, but not html -.-
    Using Linux, you can use either KPalmDoc or txt2pdbdoc.

If you're using a Mac, you could try the Lokiware PalmDoc Converter.

For Windows, there are a lot of converters, like the official "Aportis Doc Converter", but most of them aren't freeware. So I've compiled the txt2pdbdoc from above for Windows (via Cygwin). The program is attached to this posting. It's still a command line tool, though.

But I must still warn you: You'll most likely have to strip some tags from the HTML file. The pReader's internal HTML parser is simply still a bit finicky. I've already fixed a few issues for the next pReader version, but getting it right is a continual work-in-progress.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jappus; 12/22/2009 at 06:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jappus,

Thanks for the update and for the linear auto-scroll!

So far, I haven't noticed any missing text either. This troublesome intermittent problem appears to be gone although I will keep you posted.

Thanks again.
    Ey!
    I didnīt expect the release to be already out.

Iīm glad you could run my book en the emulator, BUT, in my device itīs taking forever to charge it (just like 0.6.5 version)

I will post back when finished (if!)

Anyway to transform that book to another format and run it on Preader?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Formatting and pagination seem much better now. I'm only using ereader.com books so can't give you info on other formats but I do see a big improvement from 0.6.5 to 0.7 Keep up the good work. I hope you put this into the official app cat once you have it done. I would be willing to pay a few dollars for it.
  13.    #293  
    Ey!
    I didnīt expect the release to be already out.

Iīm glad you could run my book en the emulator, BUT, in my device itīs taking forever to charge it (just like 0.6.5 version)
    Since it works in the Emulator, there's really only one thing that could stop it on the device: Running into the Javascript Hangcheck timeout. Basically, if I use too much CPU time without relinquishing control back to the WebOS, WebOS terminates that run. And since it's terminated HARD, the pReader can't detect it at all.

Only the user can notice that, by looking at the spinning "wheel" and the progress bar. If the progress bar stops moving, but the spinner spins absolutely smoothly, then WebOS has just aborted the conversion run.

There's unfortunately no way to detect or stop that; except optimizing the pReader for speed. Basically, I have to make sure that my app never runs too long without relinquishing control; but relinquishing control too often destroys the performance and makes coding very, very hard. So I'm moving on a very thin line.

Javascript was simply never meant for such things.

Anyway to transform that book to another format and run it on Preader?
    You could use Calibre (I linked to it in an earlier posting above), import your book and export it as another format. Basically, the main problem currently is that your file does not seem to be "clean" HTML. Perhaps Calibre can process it into something cleaner.

But well, barring the above mentioned problem, it should load with v0.7.1.

P.S.:
    Due to popular demand, I added a donation button. Look for it in the first post of this thread. Personally, the fact that you like the pReader is already more than I could ask for.
    But if you want to show your appreciation by donating, who am I to stop you.
    Mmmm I didnīt actually follow you. Sorry (Iīm just an MD Palm fan, not to much of prog. language)

Could any (of the 4 or 5) PATCHES I use (Preware) make it to slow to charge the book!?

This is what i see (for hours) in my PRE.

I already tried deleting pReader DB and soft reset. But everytime it takes forever and nothing!

PS: the wheel run really PAUSED at first, but when the progress bar start filling (really small blue progress, the wheell spin correctly but it takes forever for the progress bar, and nothing!

Iīll keep you post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Will you be adding rtf (rich text format) support? The books I have are all in LIT and I've had to convert them to txt. The txt file does not show as well as I would like and it doesnt support images (book cover)
    I love this app and have a feature request...

Make it read html as well.
    Mhhhm, as nice as that idea is, it'd come with a gaping security hole, because I'd need to store the credentials on disk. Which would be bad since they're usually your credit card details. I could encrypt them with a Blowfish cipher, but then you'd have to enter a "master password" again and your credentials would reside in memory as long as the app's open.

I'll think about it. But if I do it, I'll have to implement something like the Keyring / Safebox app in the pReader, which will take time; both for implementation and for making sure that it's secure.
    well, at least for ereader drm, we just need the crc32 of the name and last 8 cc digits. If we just persist the crc32 value, I don't think its possible to reverse engineer and obtain the original credentials.
    Mhhhm, strange. Very strange. I'll try the file you gave me again and see if I notice the bug.
    If you can, could you tell me whether it always happens, or if it happens only with some pages of the files?
    Im the only one who have the bug and can reproduce it? It happens on all pages. I think its the text paragraph longer than the line u can display than i get the text overylay. But thats only a guess... Ah and i saved the txt file as an utf8 file not ascii (notepad++)

So the official name of an html file in an pdb Container is: PDB-Doc (Not pdp-ztext nor pdb-txt). So since i know this i can convert nearly every format to pdp-doc with an opensource Program Calibre (it runs on ervery major OS). Thanks for your effort to look out some programs.

Do you support direct html files to library in the near future? Normaly i use following tags: strong, italic, anchor (for index), headlines, Horizontal line and sometimes acronyms. I ask because html files will always work on every os same like txt and not like the other newfangled formats...
  19.    #299  
    Mmmm I didnīt actually follow you. Sorry (Iīm just an MD Palm fan, not to much of prog. language)

Could any (of the 4 or 5) PATCHES I use (Preware) make it to slow to charge the book!?
    Nope. One of the few advantages of the way Palm built their device is that all the apps are neatly walled off from each other. And since most patches only concern a single app, I think I can pretty much guarantee that the patches don't have to do anything with it.

This is what i see (for hours) in my PRE.

I already tried deleting pReader DB and soft reset. But everytime it takes forever and nothing!

PS: the wheel run really PAUSED at first, but when the progress bar start filling (really small blue progress, the wheell spin correctly but it takes forever for the progress bar, and nothing!
    Well, as I said, as soon as the Wheel moves smoothly (and the progress bar doesn't move), there's pretty much no point anymore to wait, because the pReader doesn't do anything anymore.

What I tried to explain in my previous posting is the reason for this behaviour, namely that the app still runs, but doesn't do anything anymore.

The simple reason for this is: If the pReader spends too much time processing something, WebOS simply aborts whatever it's doing; to protect the rest of the system. The app still runs, but whatever it just did (like reading a file) is stopped. That's why nothing happens anymore.

On the Emulator that's no problem, since it's so blazingly fast in comparison to the device, that it never needs to abort something. But on the device, if something takes more than ~2 seconds, without pausing itself for a moment, it gets stopped, hard.

My problem is: It's hard to prevent that from happening, since that "voluntary pause" is very difficult to implement. But I'll see what I can do about it.
  20.    #300  
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobits View Post
    well, at least for ereader drm, we just need the crc32 of the name and last 8 cc digits. If we just persist the crc32 value, I don't think its possible to reverse engineer and obtain the original credentials.
    Mhhhm, good idea, but that only works for eReader DRM. As soon as we implement other DRM schemes, we most likely won't be able to take that "shortcut" for them. For example, MobiPocket uses "Device IDs" or "Username/Passphrase" pairs for its DRM.

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that the Blowfish-protected password library is the only elegant and flexible way to do it. But well, we'll decide that once we reach that point on the ToDO list.