Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192464 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Occasionally. I switch between the belt and non-belt modes and usually can find the missing words.
    Good to hear (sort of) that I'm not the only one having this problem. Removing the belt does help but never 100%. Something always seems to be missing. Sometimes, it's just a few letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Well, in the development of v0.7.0 I fixed a few bugs that could potentially solve the "missing words" problem.

As soon as Retrobits has tested his DRMed books and made sure that adding a lot of them to the pReader library is no problem anymore, I'll release v0.7.0. That should be any day now.
    Thanks Jappus, I was wondering whether the new version might fix this bug. Hopefully, it does.

On another note, are you going to implement the scrolling page option in version 0.7.0 or is that going to be for another version?
  2.    #262  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    On another note, are you going to implement the scrolling page option in version 0.7.0 or is that going to be for another version?
    It'll be in v0.7.0. Unfortunately the scrolling isn't totally smooth. Instead of scrolling the entire page in a smooth manner, the current implementation scrolls smoothly from line to line, but always briefly stops on each line. That may be advantageous insofar as that the lines remain fixed most of the time, thus reducing the problem with constantly having to move your eyes. But you know, it just looks rather ... rickety.

Alas, there seems to be no way around it, since I can't tell the WebOS API to scroll at a predefined speed. It always selects its own speed. The best I could do would be to manually jump pixel by pixel, but that'd be an incredible waste of CPU time. Here's a short animated GIF of how it looks at the moment. It's ~2.3MB large.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jappus,

Thanks for that. Very interesting. The scrolling itself is not that bad. Resembles the eReader Pro in Classic. The problem, as you have already identified, is the speed of the scrolling. If the user cannot set his/her own speed, the feature is not very useful unless, coincidentally, you happen to like the predefined speed of the WEbOS API. For me, that speed is way too slow. It is unfortunate that the APIs available for the WebOS are so restrictive.
  4.    #264  
    Jappus,

Thanks for that. Very interesting. The scrolling itself is not that bad. Resembles the eReader Pro in Classic. The problem, as you have already identified, is the speed of the scrolling. If the user cannot set his/her own speed, the feature is not very useful unless, coincidentally, you happen to like the predefined speed of the WEbOS API. For me, that speed is way too slow. It is unfortunate that the APIs available for the WebOS are so restrictive.
    No, no, you've slightly misunderstood me. Of course the user can select his own scroll speed in lines/min. It's exactly identical to the default autoscroll mode in that respect. What you see in the above video are 65 lines/min, that means a bit over 1 line per second.

But what I can't change is the speed with which WebOS scrolls from line to line. Ideally, the whole movement should be smooth over the entire page. Instead, it's smooth from line to line, but briefly stops on each line.

What I want to tell WebOS is the following: Move from that pixel position to that pixel position, and use the given amount of time for that. Unfortunately, while I can specify the first part, I can only specify whether or not the move should be animated, but not the speed of the animation. Thus, WebOS selects its own speed, which depends on the distance it is told to scroll.

Thus, my current implementation tells the WebOS to animate the move from line to line, instead of the vastly simpler, and less CPU intensive move from page to page. And that's why I said that the only workaround would be to scroll pixel by pixel. All in Javascript. While that would work and result in a smooth movement, it's rather complicated and on top of that a total waste of CPU-Time since Javascript has a rather large processing overhead for each instruction.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    No, no, you've slightly misunderstood me. Of course the user can select his own scroll speed in lines/min. It's exactly identical to the default autoscroll mode in that respect. What you see in the above video are 65 lines/min, that means a bit over 1 line per second.
    In that case, I think it will work wonderfully for my purposes, even if it is a little ricketty. Can't wait to try it out!
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Good to hear (sort of) that I'm not the only one having this problem. Removing the belt does help but never 100%. Something always seems to be missing. Sometimes, it's just a few letters.
    No, you're not alone. Happens to me too. I plan on sending Jappus a few examples today, per his request.
    I've just started trying your reader. I used it with one free .prc file from Baen Books Science Fiction & Fantasy - Home Page and it worked great.

I tried the next book (titled "Crawling Between Heaven and Earth") also a free .prc file from Baen. The rendering of the font size is jumping between very tiny and the size I expected. One page will have the correct size, the next page will be so small I can barely read it.

I have the latest 6.x version of pReader on a Pre.

I've tried attaching the file to this post in case you want to look at it. I've never attached a file to a post before. If you can't access it let me know and I'll email it.

Thanks,
    Roger
    Attached Files Attached Files
  8.    #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerconn View Post
    I tried the next book (titled "Crawling Between Heaven and Earth") also a free .prc file from Baen. The rendering of the font size is jumping between very tiny and the size I expected. One page will have the correct size, the next page will be so small I can barely read it.
    That's a PalmDOC file that uses the proprietary HTML extension that's used by some PalmDOC generators. The current v0.6.5 didn't properly support those files.

But the new v0.7.0 that'll be released in the next few days has a built-in support for that format. Basically, whenever you open a PalmDOC, it asks you whether the file's a plain-text, or an HTML document.

If you select the old "plain text" mode for such HTML-ized files (which is the only option in pre-v0.7.0 versions), the pReader doesn't care about the HTML. As such, it places page-breaks smack-dab in the middle of tags and generally messes up the formatting.

But the new HTML-Mode correctly interprets the HTML and displays the file correctly. Images, text sizes, bold, italics and all.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    A new oddity observed - I was poking through some ebooks prior to sending them to you, and one ebook had to be deleted, and I was dumped back to the library.

The library "color" had changed to parchment, which I use for reading during the day. Came over here to type this comment, and now it's back to the default white that the library is always (for me) in.

Just fyi. Kinda weird. Glitches are fun.

ETA: re-added the book, and the library went parchment again. Went into the book, came back out, back to white.
  10.    #270  
    Quote Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
    A new oddity observed - I was poking through some ebooks prior to sending them to you, and one ebook had to be deleted, and I was dumped back to the library.

The library "color" had changed to parchment, which I use for reading during the day. Came over here to type this comment, and now it's back to the default white that the library is always (for me) in.

Just fyi. Kinda weird. Glitches are fun.

ETA: re-added the book, and the library went parchment again. Went into the book, came back out, back to white.
    Yup. I know of that error, but it's difficult to do anything about it.

The explanation is trivial though. The pReader uses two different "scenes" for the library and the reader, but due to the way WebOS is built, they use the same HTML document for rendering. All WebOS does is to flush out the content of the file before calling one scene or the other.

But here's the problem: It only clears out the content (everything inside the html body tag). It does not clear out the stylesheets applied to the body or the whole document. But the background colour is just such a stylesheet.

Therefore, I have to reset that manually. But if something leads to the scene to be closed without explicitly calling the cleanup-code, well, then the stylesheet is never reset, till you either quit&restart the app, or re-enter the Reader scene and leave it normally.

That bug's on my internal ToDo list, but with a rather low priority, since it's a hard-to track bug with (in most cases) only cosmetic consequences. It'll get fixed eventually, though. For one, I think I've just fixed the bug as it occurred to you.
    Last edited by Jappus; 12/17/2009 at 04:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    That bug's on my internal ToDo list, but with a rather low priority, since it's a hard-to track bug with (in most cases) only cosmetic consequences. It'll get fixed eventually, though. For one, I think I've just fixed the bug as it occurred to you.
    *nods* Thanks for the explanation, and yeah, it's not a big deal at all. Just figured I'd note it for you.

Cheers!
    Jappus,

How close are you to having html support (as in typical html documents like the thousands available at gutenberg.org)? I haven't actually tried a purely html file, just going on your note in the updated first post that it isn't currently supported.
  13.    #273  
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael.Brock View Post
    Jappus,

How close are you to having html support (as in typical html documents like the thousands available at gutenberg.org)? I haven't actually tried a purely html file, just going on your note in the updated first post that it isn't currently supported.
    Well, on the one hand side, it's downright simple, since the internal display format of WebOS is nothing else but HTML.

On the other hand, not all tags are entirely beneficial for use in the pReader. For example, if the document specifies iframes, those will be terribly butchered due to the one-page-at-a-time render method of the pReader. The same applies to tables and several other tags. As such, to support HTML books, I must first perfect the internal HTML Parser to correctly process and sanitize the files. Otherwise, all sorts of nasty side-effects would occur.

As soon as I've released v0.7.0, HTML support is one of the very next things that are going to be implemented.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Jappus,

BTW, if you're interested in supporting the Plucker format, the Plucker Developer list is the place to go to ask questions. plucker-dev@plkr.org
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Ive got to say this program is great and Ive been using it since I bought my pre however Ive just loaded this up and its told me that my trial has expired and I need to purchase the full version. Being a lowly european user I have no way to access paid apps, is there anyway to obtain the full version another way?
  16.    #276  
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    Ive got to say this program is great and Ive been using it since I bought my pre however Ive just loaded this up and its told me that my trial has expired and I need to purchase the full version. Being a lowly european user I have no way to access paid apps, is there anyway to obtain the full version another way?
    You're using the "Popelli Reader", which was formerly known as the "Palm Reader".

But this thread here belongs to the pReader, also an eReader but contrary to the Popelli Reader, this one's free -- both as in beer and as in speech.

You seek this thread. Of course, you could alternatively also just install the pReader...
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    You're using the "Popelli Reader", which was formerly known as the "Palm Reader".

But this thread here belongs to the pReader, also an eReader but contrary to the Popelli Reader, this one's free -- both as in beer and as in speech.

You seek this thread. Of course, you could alternatively also just install the pReader...
    damn your right. Ive got both installed and Ive been using the other one instead!
    Hello,
    a very big THANK YOU for your great work. I switched to your reader because of the nativ utf8 support, the easy to use interface and the local file processing.

I reformated all my ebooks to epub since month. So this format is not supported i switched back to html and striped out all the thml tags. Looks not good but it works as a txt file.

So my problem is that the auto scrolling do some strange things. It scrolls but it overlay some text to every line. Bevor Scrolling start the text is displayed correct every time i scroll to a new line, it make it unread able (exceptet some lines). So I post the free book and an screenshot from my pre. Book and pre is in german, WebOS v1.3.1.

I hope u support html files soon, because this will make it better to read. I did not find an donation button so maybe u can post it in your inital thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sweety81; 12/21/2009 at 04:26 AM. Reason: added some explanations
  19.    #279  
    Good news, everyone!

I just released v0.7.0, and with it comes a proverbial heap load of changes.

For one, I changed the backend storage from Mojo-Depot to SQLite. This resolves a lot of problems, ranging from crashes, over performance problems to complete loss of parts of your library. Unfortunately this means that pre-0.7.0 libraries can't be read anymore. You will lose them upon updating to 0.7.0. At the least, you should write down your current reading positions, since they'll be lost too upon reloading the books into the new Library.

Of course, this has one advantage: v0.7.0 now supports inlined images. You can't zoom them yet, but one of the next few versions will support it in one way or another. There also might be some (more or less) minor problems if there are many, large images on the same page, but those issues will be dealt with in time too.

Furthermore, I implemented the new "linear" autoscrolling mode that was wanted by Quintus. It can be activated through the options menu.

Also, PalmDOC HTML files are now supported. The pReader will ask you whether you want to treat a PalmDOC as plaintext or HTML text, since auto-detection is not yet possible.

These are the main changes. I hope you like them.

Happy Holidays to all of ye!

P.S.:
    The issue that Sweety reported should also be fixed. At least, I can't replicate it with 0.7.0.
    And if you want to read HTML file right now you might want to try your luck and consider converting it to a PalmDOC file. But please be aware that the pReader's HTML Parser is still a bit finicky and might panic badly if you give it "unclean" HTML.
    Last edited by Jappus; 12/21/2009 at 06:38 AM.
    Good news, everyone!

I just released v0.7.0, and with it comes a proverbial heap load of changes.

For one, I changed the backend storage from Mojo-Depot to SQLite. This resolves a lot of problems, ranging from crashes, over performance problems to complete loss of parts of your library. Unfortunately this means that pre-0.7.0 libraries can't be read anymore. You will lose them upon updating to 0.7.0. At the least, you should write down your current reading positions, since they'll be lost too upon reloading the books into the new Library.

Of course, this has one advantage: v0.7.0 now supports inlined images. You can't zoom them yet, but one of the next few versions will support it in one way or another. There also might be some (more or less) minor problems if there are many, large images on the same page, but those issues will be dealt with in time too.

Furthermore, I implemented the new "linear" autoscrolling mode that was wanted by Quintus. It can be activated through the options menu.

Also, PalmDOC HTML files are now supported. The pReader will ask you whether you want to treat a PalmDOC as plaintext or HTML text, since auto-detection is not yet possible.

These are the main changes. I hope you like them.

Happy Holidays to all of ye!

P.S.:
    The issue that Sweety reported should also be fixed. At least, I can't replicate it with 0.7.0.
    And if you want to read HTML file right now you might want to try your luck and consider converting it to a PalmDOC file. But please be aware that the pReader's HTML Parser is still a bit finicky and might panic badly if you give it "unclean" HTML.
    That's great news. Does is support encrypted MobiPocket?