Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #241  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I tried update 6.5, but I lost the last line of my book so I went back to 6.4.
    Could you specify what you mean with "last line of my book"?

Do you mean the last reading position, or the last text line of the book? If the latter, does it lose lines on every page, or only on the last page?
    Jappus....commendations upon commendations for you and your work on this app. I was moderate to heavy Palm Reader user since the Palm OS 3 days and was looking for SOMEONE to get an ebook reader on the Pre. Not only have you done it, kicked heiney at it, but are completely amicable to your users implementing almost all their requests.

You ROCK sir. Yes, indeed.

(I work as a systems/software analyst by day but unfortunately only know DOS, WMI scripting, some VBA, HTML, DHTML, and a little Java. How ever I am exceptionally good at hunting & tracking software defects so if you want a beta tester to help unit test early code, I can be your guy. )
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    In having a punctuation problem in pReader.

Text that should say:

"Thanks, Hunny. See you in the morning."

Renders as:
    "Thanks, Hunny. See you in the ".morning
  4.    #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by Anashti View Post
    In having a punctuation problem in pReader.

Text that should say:

"Thanks, Hunny. See you in the morning."

Renders as:
    Could you send me a non-DRMed file where that happens? Because I've tried to reproduce that error with my own files, and the only way I get something similar is when I activate the Right-To-Left printing mode, which has other obvious side-effects. Like printing everything from right to left.

And by just looking at the source code, I can't find a place where such a thing could happen; so I doubt that I can debug it without a test file.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Could you send me a non-DRMed file where that happens? Because I've tried to reproduce that error with my own files, and the only way I get something similar is when I activate the Right-To-Left printing mode, which has other obvious side-effects. Like printing everything from right to left.

And by just looking at the source code, I can't find a place where such a thing could happen; so I doubt that I can debug it without a test file.
    Thanks Jappus.. I didn't even consider looking at the preferences.

So the behavior I experienced was caused by two settings.

I got :

Wasn't obvious that Left-To-Right was OFF because of Alignment being set to LEFT

I don't even remember setting these

One more question.. Any change you'll pickup support for Mobipocket (.prc) or .ePub any time soon. These seem to be the defacto standard format amongst smaller independent ePublishers, well the Mobi .prc anyways; .ePub is gaining ground.
    ******Disclaimer*******
    I'm a Dvorak typist using
    a QWERTY thumb board.
    Typoes? Oh Yeah
  6.    #246  
    Quote Originally Posted by Anashti View Post
    One more question.. Any change you'll pickup support for Mobipocket (.prc) or .ePub any time soon. These seem to be the defacto standard format amongst smaller independent ePublishers, well the Mobi .prc anyways; .ePub is gaining ground.
    Non-DRMed Mobipocket files are already supported. DRM support will be implemented as soon as the current set of bugs are fixed. ePub is going to be in it, as soon as we've implemented/added a ZIP decompression engine.

By the way: I think v0.7.0 will be released soon. Depends on how many bugs I'll still find.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tip on how to delete the database. I had about 30 books with edited metadata in the library. When I checked the database, it was over 47 megs! Which answered why PReader was hanging forever on loading books.
    Deleted it and loaded only the 7 books I reference frequently. No edited metadata. Just checked the database and it's already over 17 megs!
    Going to keep things running lean til version 7 with the new database is ready.
    I'll see what I can do about automatic removal, but the surest way is the manual one. Connect your Pre/Pixi to your PC and delete the "_file_[...]_pReader" folder in the hidden ".app-storage" folder.

That'll reset everything but your preferences (text size, colour, etc.).
    Is that in USB mode or using WEBOSQI? Can it be done in Internalz? Any help for a linux ignoramus appreciated.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Is that in USB mode or using WEBOSQI? Can it be done in Internalz? Any help for a linux ignoramus appreciated.
    For me, it was listed in usb mode. In explorer just change preferences to "show hidden files" and the directory will show up.
    I was amazed that with (now) only 2 megs of books in the library, the database is over 17 megs in size.
    In a DRM'd PDB I am able to display the text, but all the apostrophes (') are missing. In a modern English novel this is a problem. Anyone else having this problem? TXT files don't have this problem. Haven't tested with non-DRM PDB yet.
  11.    #251  
    Quote Originally Posted by tamvegas View Post
    For me, it was listed in usb mode. In explorer just change preferences to "show hidden files" and the directory will show up.
    I was amazed that with (now) only 2 megs of books in the library, the database is over 17 megs in size.
    Yes, the interface I use in the v0.6.x line (Mojo.Depot) is incredibly inefficient as far as storage is concerned. When I first started using it, I put a simple array of integers into it. Well, let's just say that the Depot stores that with a 40x overhead. So a 30kB book was bloated up to 1.2 Meg.

I could reduce this overhead to "only" 8-10x by encoding the array as a hexadecimal string. But 8x 1 Megabyte is still 8Mb for a single book.

At the moment, my internal v0.7.0 version reduces the overhead to roughly 3-5x (depends on the file). Which still sucks, so I've additionally separated the Book DBs, so you don't need to load everything just to get a single book.

There's a reason why I take my time with getting v0.7.0 out. I want to make sure that I reduce the overhead as much as possible.

Also, I've implemented image support, which also took some time.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Jappus, thanks once again for all the hard work on this. I know it's going to take some time to completely rewrite the back end of the program. Not meaning to seem impatient. It just really surprised me to find just how inefficient the default database is!

And it's great news that version 7 will have image support.

I think more and more users will be turning to your program, especially since PalmReader has been so frought with problems since the release into the catalog (which is truly sad for both the developer and the users).
  13.    #253  
    Quote Originally Posted by csghorm View Post
    In a DRM'd PDB I am able to display the text, but all the apostrophes (') are missing. In a modern English novel this is a problem. Anyone else having this problem? TXT files don't have this problem. Haven't tested with non-DRM PDB yet.
    This might be an encoding problem. Could you please open the book and then check which encoding is set (Menu -> Change Encoding). It should be set to CP-1252 (Latin).

If that doesn't help, could you send me a free (non-DRMed) file where this happens?

Thanks.
  14.    #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Yes, it can be done with Internalz. Simply navigate back to the root (clicking on the ".." entry) and then change into "/media/internal/.app-storage". There, delete the "file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.mhwsoft.preader_0" folder.

I'd really love to implement a way to remove that data from within the pReader, but the API from Palm simply doesn't offer a way to do it. And even the new interface I use seems to block all attempts of trying to remove, or at least empty the files. Rboatright has offered me to ask his contacts at Palm if they know what's going on there and what can be done about it. So, at the moment I'm waiting for a reply from Palm, because that seems to be the only way to find a solution for that problem.
    it's a bug. :-( Acknowledged and a high-priority engineering change request placed with the framework team. There are two issues: the sqlite auto-vacuum pragma should have been set, it isn't, and the vacuum command should be able to be passed through the programming API, and it isn't, it's bounced as invalid sql.

It's now in the queue to be fixed.

Rick
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Could you specify what you mean with "last line of my book"?

Do you mean the last reading position, or the last text line of the book? If the latter, does it lose lines on every page, or only on the last page?
    I've seen this behavior on .prc's I've downloaded from tor.com. It happens on a lot of the pages, though not every one of them.

I'll get you a list of the files there I've used tomorrow if you like, or I can send you the files directly.
  17.    #257  
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    it's a bug. :-( Acknowledged and a high-priority engineering change request placed with the framework team. There are two issues: the sqlite auto-vacuum pragma should have been set, it isn't, and the vacuum command should be able to be passed through the programming API, and it isn't, it's bounced as invalid sql.

It's now in the queue to be fixed.
    Thanks!

That makes it very likely that my current setup will work, as soon as Palm pushes the update. Now there are only two more bugs to fix till I can release v0.7.0. Yay!

Of course, there's also the persistent UTF8-File + BOM problem with the XmlHttpRequest. I've already wrote about the problem in the Palm WebOSDev forum, and Chuq Von Rospach told me some Palm Engineers would look into the problem, but as of now, I haven't received any feedback, yet.

Maybe if you could tap your contacts at Palm about that issue too? That'd be great.

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jappus,

I finished my last book and bought another from eReader (DRM'd) and I am still noticing the loss of words and letters at page bteaks. *Not consistent and seems to happen more often at mid-chapter breaks in the book (i.e. Not full chapter breaks but breaks divided by asterix lines).

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Jappus,

I finished my last book and bought another from eReader (DRM'd) and I am still noticing the loss of words and letters at page bteaks. *Not consistent and seems to happen more often at mid-chapter breaks in the book (i.e. Not full chapter breaks but breaks divided by asterix lines).

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
    Occasionally. I switch between the belt and non-belt modes and usually can find the missing words.
    Laissez Faire
  20.    #260  
    Well, in the development of v0.7.0 I fixed a few bugs that could potentially solve the "missing words" problem.

As soon as Retrobits has tested his DRMed books and made sure that adding a lot of them to the pReader library is no problem anymore, I'll release v0.7.0. That should be any day now.