Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've created a small app to remember what movies I've seen and what I thought of them (mostly because I can't remember a movie I saw a long time ago).

It's finished, although at some point I should add a way to search the list for more than just the title.

The source code is available on my website.

Feel free to donate if you feel this is a useful app.

Changes
    (1.1.3)
    - going back from the edit scene now saves the changes
    - random and filter buttons only show if there are items in the list

(1.1.2)
    - fixed group tag for titles that start with numbers
    - added spinner while loading movie list

(1.1.1)
    - added some text when the list is empty on startup
    - "number of times seen" can now also be zero, to indicate you haven't seen it yet

(1.1)
    - added option to ignore last 5 movies that were randomly selected when clicking the random button
    - added extended filter

(1.0.6)
    - added "owned" section with format and location fields
    - made random button somewhat more random
    - random now shows the movie's info instead of just the item in the list
    - added prefences scene
    - added option to only show owned movies from the random button

(1.0.5)
    - fixed save bug
    - added genre field
    - added random button
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by reflex; 12/03/2009 at 03:47 PM.
    Wow, what a great idea!
    An excellent idea! If you're planning to evolve it at all, I would love for it to include writer/director/headliners, and then the ability to search my own movie repository (of whatever movies I've added within this app) based on writer, or director, or actor. Just different methods of sorting the same list. But this is very helpful.
    Really cool, thanks!
    My memory is so bad. I know I am going to love this App.

Not sure if you want ideas for it or not. But an interesting thought I had would be to tie it in with the calendar and fandango. If you buy tickets on Fandango from your phone, it updates your calendar. It would be cool if it updated your app too.

Again, not sure if you want ideas or not. Just my 1/2 a cent.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I was looking for a quick application to keep track of the DVDs I own so I don't buy them twice. This will work great.

If your looking for suggestions for future releases, you could consider having it look up rating and release date info.
    My Suggestions: Have it be able to pull info from IMDB. Just search the title and pick the one you own and then it will give you all the movies info. Display cover art in scroll view.

Its late so I can't check (studying) is Blu-Ray a option?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahastie7 View Post
    An excellent idea!
    Thanks, to everyone who thinks so. I thought it would be a pretty useless app for everyone but me, but it's nice to discover otherwise

If you're planning to evolve it at all, I would love for it to include writer/director/headliners, and then the ability to search my own movie repository (of whatever movies I've added within this app) based on writer, or director, or actor. Just different methods of sorting the same list. But this is very helpful.
    I'm not sure how much time I'll have to update this, but a more advanced search is planned. I've added "director" and "cast" fields now (version 1.0.4).

Btw, it's not really meant to become a real movie database app, but you never know.
    would be useful here as well. thanks

I agree with the imdb suggestion as well
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    Not sure if you want ideas for it or not.
    Ideas for improvements are welcome. I just can't promise I'll be able to implement them

But an interesting thought I had would be to tie it in with the calendar and fandango. If you buy tickets on Fandango from your phone, it updates your calendar. It would be cool if it updated your app too.
    There's supposed to be an undocumented way to get access to the entire calendar (what Agenda uses), but I'd rather stay away from that until it becomes official.

As for Fandango, I've taken a look at their website but I haven't found any info about interfacing with them.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MOE-GUNZ View Post
    My Suggestions: Have it be able to pull info from IMDB. Just search the title and pick the one you own and then it will give you all the movies info. Display cover art in scroll view.
    Yes, that would be cool. But reading the imdb help section, I don't think it will be possible (legally, anyway). They state clearly that the images they use are only licensed for use on their website. I might be able to get info about a movie from their ftp, but for that they state it's only meant for personal use, so I don't know if distributing this app would fall under that definition.

Its late so I can't check (studying) is Blu-Ray a option?
    Yes. Feel free to make any suggestions for more categories here, btw. And a better label than "where" would be good as well
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by N2HPZ View Post
    I was looking for a quick application to keep track of the DVDs I own so I don't buy them twice. This will work great.
    I've always used MobiDB on PalmOS for that. I haven't found a general purpose database app for webOS yet, so that will be my next project.

If your looking for suggestions for future releases, you could consider having it look up rating and release date info.
    I can try to add that if you know of a good place to get this info. On the other hand, it's meant as a personal tool to show my own rating of the movie at the time I watched it.

Maybe a fork of the project to be an actual movie database would be good at some point.
  13.    #13  
    It may be possible to get some info from imdb after all. I'll look into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by reflex View Post
    Yes. Feel free to make any suggestions for more categories here, btw. And a better label than "where" would be good as well
    How about Format ?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    How about Format ?
    Yes, that sounds a bit better. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reflex View Post
    I've always used MobiDB on PalmOS for that. I haven't found a general purpose database app for webOS yet, so that will be my next project.
    If you can find away to have it output to a text file for backup, that would be appreciated. Even better if I could import from a .csv. I have a long list of DVD's that I own and that would make loading the app. much easier.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by N2HPZ View Post
    If you can find away to have it output to a text file for backup, that would be appreciated. Even better if I could import from a .csv. I have a long list of DVD's that I own and that would make loading the app. much easier.
    Purely for backup, the list is saved on the media partition of the Pre, so you can find it if you mount the Pre as a mass usb storage device.

I'll have to implement an import of some sort fo my next app, as I have quite a few databases I want to import to that. But atm I don't know yet if it will be easy to do, I haven't come across a file api yet (but maybe it's a standard javascript thing that I know nothing about).
    how about genre field so we can sort by genre, and a notes field so we can jot down favorite lines or who qe saw it with. I love databases, miss hanDbase from palmOS, thanks for making this!
    This will be very useful for me when it comes time to update my Criticker.com ratings of the movies I've seen throughout the year. So simple yet so ingenious. It would be nice to have maybe a splash title screen or something so when you first pull it up you don't see just a blank screen and a + button. Just to give it some flare.
    How about adding a random button? Sometimes I spend over a half hour trying to decide which DVD to watch, just hit random and it would pick a movie for you...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast