Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Current Version: 0.1.1(Available in App catalog)

Changes (12/24/2009):

- Reset the version number for the app catalog
    - The app id is changed for the app catalog.
    - It uses the palm api to keep the screen on while the app is in operation
    - Settings are moved to the Preference page which is available in Menu
    - Algorithm to count the steps is perfected little bit

I am planning to do couple of updates in a week or two.
    - Storing the walk history
    - Emailing/Exporting the history

If you have any other suggestions please do let me know.

Older Changes:

Fixed a minor defect in 0.0.2 and made the latest version to 0.2.1.
    Please delete the older version before you install this updated one if you are updating from version 0.0.1, otherwise just reinstall on the existing version 0.0.2

Pedometer app counts the steps as you walk. This app does not require GPS (that is, clear view of the sky is not required). Along with the step count, you can also see the timer, distance walked, speed and calories burnt.

What is New in 0.2.1?

• Changed the look and feel little bit
    • Added timer
    • Stride value can be set by the user (defaults to 2.64 feet). To measure the stride, walk 10 steps and measure that distance in feet and then divide that by 10.
    • All the values are saved when you close the app. It will show up next time when you open and can resume from there or click clear to start new.

Thanks to boxfier for nice suggestion

NOTE:
    - Select your weight for right calories, defaults to 165 lb (NOTE: Calories shown here are not accurate, only weight and the distance are taken for calculating calorie)

Few things you need to know:

1. English is my third language, so please bear with my writings here.
    2. This is my first mobile app, any feedback/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    3. It works well when you put the device in palm case/holster and clip that in front of your belt.
    4. As this app uses the accelerometer service which polls data at 4Hz (4 raw data in a sec), the result is not accurate (8-10% off and shows fewer counts so add 10%). NOTE: Usually pedometer (cheap ones) are usually off by 3%-5%.
    5. This app uses the com.palm namespace so that it can keep the screen on using the undocumented API. This is because the accelerometer polls data only when the screen is ON (a major drawback as of now). (I know this app cannot get into Palm catalog and I hope Palm will open up the API in the future)
    6. As the screen is on when you run this app, the battery power will go down a bit (2%-3% in 15 min)
    7. It cannot run as a background app, so please do not minimize the card. (Use it when you really take time out for walk)
    8. Once you are done using the app, please close the app otherwise the screen will be on all the time. For the same reason, please do not use this app all day long otherwise your pre battery will be dead in few hours.

I would like to thank 'MrJspeed' for providing info on the undocumented API.

I am not a great artist, however I created my own app icon using some icon editor.

Thanks
    M
    Last edited by solaimadhan; 12/25/2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Updated for app catalog version
    A lot of people have been asking for this. Thanks for your hard work!
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Until this app can run in the background it will only have a small niche following. Most folks using a pedometer have it on throughout their day, which is the point.

great start here......keep working. :-)

And thanks!
    If it can't run in the background, could you at least make it so that when you close the app, it will save the data from your current "session"? This way, you could re-open the app later in the day (when you get up from your desk to walk around, for example), and continue from where you left off earlier.

Nice work regardless!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Would it work if it was active in the dashboard? (thinking enhancement)
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by boxfier View Post
    If it can't run in the background, could you at least make it so that when you close the app, it will save the data from your current "session"? This way, you could re-open the app later in the day (when you get up from your desk to walk around, for example), and continue from where you left off earlier.

Nice work regardless!
    Thanks boxfier, thats a good idea. I will work on it.

Thanks
    M
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    Until this app can run in the background it will only have a small niche following. Most folks using a pedometer have it on throughout their day, which is the point.

great start here......keep working. :-)

And thanks!
    Thanks for your feedback Tyndall.

Please note it is not that it cannot run in the background but it is the accel service that turns off when the screen turns off. If I want to run this app as background then I have to keep the screen on all the time (so that the accel service polls the data) which drains the battery!

Thats the drawback of the accel service. Please let me know if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks
    M
    Just tested this on my walk, and a co-worker had his Android pedometer going at the same time. After we had finished, there was only a 10 step difference between the two readings! Well done.

One thing that his had was a timer, which might be nice also.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    Just tested this on my walk, and a co-worker had his Android pedometer going at the same time. After we had finished, there was only a 10 step difference between the two readings! Well done.

One thing that his had was a timer, which might be nice also.
    enormous, thank you very much for the result. I am happy now. Yes timer is on my list and it should be available in few days.

Thanks
    M
    Last edited by solaimadhan; 10/28/2009 at 05:05 PM.
    Will it be able to be a program in the background in the future?? I would be ok with the battery drain if that were the case.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by boxfier View Post

Nice work regardless!
    Even better than it running in the background in my opinion. Nice suggestion.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    I ran it on my walk from/to work yesterday afternoon and this morning. It's a 1.2 mile walk that showed up as .868 and .940 on the pedometer.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinejag View Post
    I ran it on my walk from/to work yesterday afternoon and this morning. It's a 1.2 mile walk that showed up as .868 and .940 on the pedometer.
    Thanks alpinejag for your result. I am looking for that. Just let you know that I use the standard stride (2.64 feet for a single step) so distance calculated will be based on that. If your walk stride is more than that, then you might get little closer. I am working on my next version to have the stride set by the user (defaults to 2.64 but changable). I would really appreciate if you can download the next version (should be out in couple of days) and try it and give back the results again.

NOTE: I also tweaked my logic little bit for step count in my upcoming version.

Thanks
    M
  14.    #14  
    New version has been posted, please delete the older version before installing this.

Thanks for all of your support
    M
    would be nice if it would run in background, so that you could listen to music or take a phone call as you walk.

Cool app. thanks
  16.    #16  
    I found a minor annoying defect and fixed it and made new version 0.2.1. Please download that. If you are updating from 0.0.1, then you have delete that and install this new, otherwise re-installing on existing one is fine. I apologize for the inconvenience.

NCZman, thanks for your comment. My next task is to make this app to run in the background. But please note that this app might show wrong results if it runs in the background and you talk on the phone at the same time.

Thanks
    M
    solaimadhan, just saw your app was recently updated in homebrew. LOVE the concept. I saw you're using an undocumented API and have accepted that, for now at least, it won't be on the App Catalog. With that in mind, have you considered using the Accelerometer Service? Application:AccelService - WebOS Internals

Should give you more accuracy.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    solaimadhan, just saw your app was recently updated in homebrew. LOVE the concept. I saw you're using an undocumented API and have accepted that, for now at least, it won't be on the App Catalog. With that in mind, have you considered using the Accelerometer Service? Application:AccelService - WebOS Internals

Should give you more accuracy.
    Thanks Jason for the great suggestion. After looking around the webos internals website, could not find where to download this AccelService and how to use it. I could see the installation for the same though. Can you please provide me some place where I can find how to use this service? (kind of pseudo-code)
    I also have few other questions regarding this. If I use this AccelService, then is that all the users who download this app also need to install this AccelService? If it is yes, then I am not sure how many of the users are willing to do that!
    Sorry I am pretty new to this, any explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks
    M
    Quote Originally Posted by solaimadhan View Post
    Thanks Jason for the great suggestion. After looking around the webos internals website, could not find where to download this AccelService and how to use it. I could see the installation for the same though. Can you please provide me some place where I can find how to use this service? (kind of pseudo-code)
    I also have few other questions regarding this. If I use this AccelService, then is that all the users who download this app also need to install this AccelService? If it is yes, then I am not sure how many of the users are willing to do that!
    Sorry I am pretty new to this, any explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks
    M
    k, looking into it, the service is GPL, so if you want to use it in a close source app, you'll need to contact the guys @ WebOS-Internals.

The service itself can be downloaded here.

Basically you'd call it like a service request. You can see an example app of usage here.

The four methods exposed to the user are:
    Code:
    getPollFreq()  
        returns the frequency in HZ of the accelerometer events 
    getPollPeriod()  
        returns the period in ms of the accelerometer events 
    setPollFreq(freq)  
        sets the frequency in HZ of the accelerometer events 
    setPollPeriod(period)  
        sets the period in ms of the accelerometer events
    You could have it as optional. So those who have the service installed get more accurate accelerometer readings and those who don't have the standard readings quality
  20.    #20  
    Thanks Jason,

So can I use this service directly after installing the ipk of the accelservice?

Update:

I installed the accelservice ipk file and changed my code to use that. When I ran the app, I got the following error:

Code:
    Error: service request: org.webosinternals.accelservice is not running.
    I understand that the service is not up and running. How can I start that service?

Update 2:

Got the same error even after rebooting my device.

Thanks
    M
    Last edited by solaimadhan; 10/30/2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Updated after running the app
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast