Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Nice idea. I would like to see the option to run this as my home screen. I was not able to use one of my own pictures as wall paper in it. I would select my picture, then tap on the open button but nothing would happen. hmmm Also, some of the buttons (like display contacts etc. were somewhat non responsive requiring several clicks to make them work)
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Has there been any feedback to what happens to this app after the 3 days? I am actually enjoying the functions of it but kind of turned off by the lack of responses having to deal with purchasing or what occurs after the 3 days.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rseyedoc View Post
    And yes, running directly on the desktop instead of a card would be ideal.
    Rory
    So, you'd be fine with not being able to access it if anything was running? Kind of defeats the point of multi-tasking if you can't get to a useful tool like this because it's running on the "desktop" and isn't a "bring to front" card.

I suspect that folks that keep asking for "run on the background" or "run on the desktop" really mean that they want to do away with the WebOS "cards" approach and want a more Windows-like approach of having apps minimize to a taskbar. Because, as long as there are cards, having something running on the "desktop" doesn't make any sense.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Westmar View Post
    Having said that, I have a question that I'm hoping SOMEONE can answer: Why is it that each and every weather app (including this one that contains weather) DOES NOT update the current temp automatically. It seems I need to close out of ActiveCard II and reopen to get the temperature to change. What am I missing/doing wrong?
    I've written none of the weather apps, but I have a partial answer. Most of the apps use a service, like Yahoo! to provide data. These services, I'm told, don't update their "feed" very frequently. Without having checked myself, I've heard anything from "Yahoo! doesn't update more than every 20 minutes" to "Yahoo! doesn't update more than every few hours." Based on my own observation, I'd tend to say it's closer to the later than the former.

However, this doesn't explain why these apps don't seem to update themselves, even on an "every few hours" schedule. I find, for example, that I often have to request a new load of the weather with AHS (the sister app to this one) in order to get new weather. That isn't to say that it NEVER updates, just that it does it on a schedule that's no exactly in step with Yahoo! For example, suppose Yahoo! updates every 2 hours (8:00, 10:00, 12:00, etc.). If it's 9:00 and I start AC, it'll get the 8:00 weather from Yahoo! Let's also suppose that AC also checks every 2 hours (why check more often, just wasting battery, if Yahoo! isn't updating more often, goes the thinking). So, suppose I start AC at 9:00. It'll get me the 8:00 weather. The next time it checks is 11:00, getting the 10:00 weather. However, if I force at update at 10:30 (a half hour before AC had planned on updating), I'll see an update from my prior retrieve. (Confused?)

So, unless the developer isn't coding a timed update, it's likely that it IS updating, just not on a schedule (or frequency) so that you'd notice.

Also, the free Weatherman doesn't update very often because the developer is using his own server and wants to minimize costly hits to his server from free users.

The solution is to (a) use a data source that's update more regularly, like 15 minutes (since weather can change that quickly!), (b) use a feed that's free, and (c) figure out the optimal balance between updating frequency and battery life. For (c), I'd even suggest only updating when the Pre is turned on. If it's off, don't bother. But the second it's turned on, go and grab an update (if the time since last update was more than 15 minutes ago).
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Just installed this and I'm very impressed!
    Question, Mapara, is this a replacement for Active Home Screen?
    And if I donated to AHS beta, will this count for future editions of Active Card?
    Either way, this is a tremendous improvement. (though I hope previous donations count on this version)
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    I've written none of the weather apps, but I have a partial answer. Most of the apps use a service, like Yahoo! to provide data. These services, I'm told, don't update their "feed" very frequently. Without having checked myself, I've heard anything from "Yahoo! doesn't update more than every 20 minutes" to "Yahoo! doesn't update more than every few hours." Based on my own observation, I'd tend to say it's closer to the later than the former.

However, this doesn't explain why these apps don't seem to update themselves, even on an "every few hours" schedule. I find, for example, that I often have to request a new load of the weather with AHS (the sister app to this one) in order to get new weather. That isn't to say that it NEVER updates, just that it does it on a schedule that's no exactly in step with Yahoo! For example, suppose Yahoo! updates every 2 hours (8:00, 10:00, 12:00, etc.). If it's 9:00 and I start AC, it'll get the 8:00 weather from Yahoo! Let's also suppose that AC also checks every 2 hours (why check more often, just wasting battery, if Yahoo! isn't updating more often, goes the thinking). So, suppose I start AC at 9:00. It'll get me the 8:00 weather. The next time it checks is 11:00, getting the 10:00 weather. However, if I force at update at 10:30 (a half hour before AC had planned on updating), I'll see an update from my prior retrieve. (Confused?)

So, unless the developer isn't coding a timed update, it's likely that it IS updating, just not on a schedule (or frequency) so that you'd notice.

Also, the free Weatherman doesn't update very often because the developer is using his own server and wants to minimize costly hits to his server from free users.

The solution is to (a) use a data source that's update more regularly, like 15 minutes (since weather can change that quickly!), (b) use a feed that's free, and (c) figure out the optimal balance between updating frequency and battery life. For (c), I'd even suggest only updating when the Pre is turned on. If it's off, don't bother. But the second it's turned on, go and grab an update (if the time since last update was more than 15 minutes ago).
    This kinda-sorta makes sense. FINALLY, someone has attempted to explain a few things to me about this subject matter. Thank you, squeff.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrei View Post
    I assume that buying via Palm's app store will give users free updates? Pardon me if the answer is obvious. I'm going to buy but want to make sure with my purchase I get free updates.

Thanks in advance.

This version is different from the app catalog version. Access to all your calendars and installed apps is NOT (yet) supported by Palm and can become unavailable.

Existing ActiveCard (app catalog) users will be able to keep this version (Apps for webOS • View topic - ActiveCard 2 beta preview - how to remove your time limit), but like I said - it's an experimental beta version...
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I've written none of the weather apps, but I have a partial answer. Most of the apps use a service, like Yahoo! to provide data. These services, I'm told, don't update their "feed" very frequently............... etc
    Very nice.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    So, you'd be fine with not being able to access it if anything was running? Kind of defeats the point of multi-tasking if you can't get to a useful tool like this because it's running on the "desktop" and isn't a "bring to front" card.

I suspect that folks that keep asking for "run on the background" or "run on the desktop" really mean that they want to do away with the WebOS "cards" approach and want a more Windows-like approach of having apps minimize to a taskbar. Because, as long as there are cards, having something running on the "desktop" doesn't make any sense.
    This is simply not the case. When I get some time I will put together images of what would be awesome for this as a background process. The idea is simply that cards can be overlayed on it. However when you minimize cards you can click on stuff up on top or on bottom. WHen you click on a (lets call them widgets for simplicity sake) widget it hides the cards you have in open til the widget is closed. so it will appear just as the app is now. however when there is nothing open in the background ie(calendar, contacts, rss) then the cards show. clicking a card opens that card to max view.
    One of my favorite apps the last couple of days that i just purchased through the app store now i noticed it is not the same version how do i keep the trial from expiring.

Fred
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpalm View Post
    One of my favorite apps the last couple of days that i just purchased through the app store now i noticed it is not the same version how do i keep the trial from expiring.

Fred
    Look up 3 posts from yours.
    I am currently trying the demo, and I am very impressed.

One suggestion, when selecting to NOT have the news ticker, can you have the bottom four buttons move down in to that empty space so there is more empty screen real estate?
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I just installed this. Are you guys able to add applications to the launcher button in the lower right hand corner? I tried adding a few through Preferences and it didn't save. The button doesn't work.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    I just installed this. Are you guys able to add applications to the launcher button in the lower right hand corner? I tried adding a few through Preferences and it didn't save. The button doesn't work.
    I found for the apps to work, you need to add an app to each of the slots. If you leave any empty slots, then it doesn't work at all.
    How long does it take for the updated version to show in the app catalog? It's been 5 days now, and it still is not in the app catalog. what gives?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by methos123 View Post
    How long does it take for the updated version to show in the app catalog? It's been 5 days now, and it still is not in the app catalog. what gives?
    Based on what other developers have said, it can take several weeks for an updated app to appear in the catalog. I know a few developer that submitted 2-3 weeks ago and are still waiting.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Based on what other developers have said, it can take several weeks for an updated app to appear in the catalog. I know a few developer that submitted 2-3 weeks ago and are still waiting.
    ^
    10 days now.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I put together something quick. Take a look. This is kinda what i would envision. I know the graphics are pretty crappy. I did it in MS Paint afterall. Basically the concept is that there are widgets on the desktop. If the widgets are clicked the cards open are sent to the background. Else the cards that are open show as in the first image. If you click a card it opens just as cards work now. If you click outside the cards it will shrink like it does now. If you click that launcher bar the 2nd or 3rd image style appears. Of course spacing issues and other things can be reworked. But basic idea here is that there are certain things that can be accessed anytime that basically send everything else to the back. I think it would be pretty nifty addition to add onto webos. Not sure what others think. Sorry mapara for borrowing your images without permission, I'll remove if you want me to.

I understand likely this is not something capable with ease and will likely have to be an OS update(which likely wont happen) rather than an app that can magically run in background but i believe something similar to this is what is wished for when people say can it run in the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Smubeht; 10/29/2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added Images
    Does anyone know how to get the timelimit of this beta removed? I went into app catalog and downloaded the paid version and i have the homebrew beta 2 version and I was looking for the app id like stated above by the developer but it is not showing up on the paid version for me to go to the website to register the id. I love this new Beta 2 version and since I just paid for the app I want to continue to use it, so please any help would be appreciated!
    We all have to wait until palm will display the updated AC on the app catalog. It apparently can take up to 3-4 weeks before it is displayed. I think Mapara said it has been 10 days since he/she (sorry, I don't know) (: has submitted it. It hopefully won't be much longer.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast