Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 140
  1.    #1  
    [[1.2 Update: Runs beautifully on the new version of package manager.]]
    Source Code: http://opalcoba.net/installer/rep.php
    SVN: https://opalcoba.sourcerepo.com/opalcoba/Installer/
    User: publicuser
    Pass: user

    This application is licensed under the GPLv2. This Application is based off Preware, it is no means my work. I do not wish to to take credit for making it. I will be adding features just for installer.
    THANKS FOR THE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE FEEDBACK!

    To Do list:
    Background Updating

    Did you patch something? Email the patch to Opal@opalcoba.net

    Installer is back in the app catalog for routine testing, before I start adding features.
    [The source code may be under develpement, and mistakes in the source code are in no means final, please submit bugs to Opal@opalcoba.net, PM me, or post a reply here!]
    Last edited by Opal Coba; 10/23/2009 at 09:51 PM.
  2. #2  
    Why don't you work with the Preware team to add the aditional features directly to Preware?
  3. #3  
    What differently are you planning to do with your Installer?
  4.    #4  
    One of the things I am going to make updating feeds faster, Preware is great but it loads slowly. I am mostly developing using PreWare as a base so I can get some hands on experience in how PreWare works. And I may want to work on the PreWare team.
  5. #5  
    I have some serious doubts about this. What is the point of forking PreWare? If I were you I'd just provide the PreWare team with useful patches if you want to contribute. Another separate app is a bad idea in my opinion.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  6. simba65's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    I have some serious doubts about this. What is the point of forking PreWare? If I were you I'd just provide the PreWare team with useful patches if you want to contribute. Another separate app is a bad idea in my opinion.
    +1
  7. #7  
    Open Source allows for forks, but they are usually done as a last resort.

    However, being able to fork is an important part of the open source model of development, since the ability to share ideas and code openly works in both directions.

    The Preware development team welcomes input and assistance from other developers. We would hope that there is no need to fork in the first place, and that any great ideas could be added directly to Preware.

    Where is the public source code repository for this app, please?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  8. #8  
    No Squishing excitement. I agree that a fork is probably not the best for US, but it's a hell of a learning experience. Fork away, see where it takes you. Submit the patches to preware as well. Worst case Installer dies and you gain an education, best cases, installer grows to replace and outshine preware, or preware incorporates you into there group and preware grows.
  9. #9  
    ya i do agree preware is a tad slow on load up, but i also agree that you should submit your updates to preware, to help improve that, so everyone does not become split and thus would slow down the development of both IMO
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Open Source allows for forks, but they are usually done as a last resort.

    However, being able to fork is an important part of the open source model of development, since the ability to share ideas and code openly works in both directions.

    The Preware development team welcomes input and assistance from other developers. We would hope that there is no need to fork in the first place, and that any great ideas could be added directly to Preware.

    Where is the public source code repository for this app, please?

    -- Rod
    I am currently setting it up. It will be up within hours.
  11. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Open Source allows for forks, but they are usually done as a last resort.

    However, being able to fork is an important part of the open source model of development, since the ability to share ideas and code openly works in both directions.

    The Preware development team welcomes input and assistance from other developers. We would hope that there is no need to fork in the first place, and that any great ideas could be added directly to Preware.

    Where is the public source code repository for this app, please?

    -- Rod
    Rod, personally I'd love to see an option to disable theme feeds on preware.. They take too much time to load, and I generally don't use them.

    -mark
  12. #12  
    Absolutely defend his right to fork.

    NORMALLY one contacts a team before forking.

    In this case, if he wanted to work on background updating, the Preware team would have been PERFECTLY HAPPY to create a BRANCH in the repository for him to post his work to so that it was available to test, and could have been wrapped back into preware.

    But that's fine, we'll take any improvements he comes up with, and greatfully acknowledge them.

    If he would like HOSTING for a repository for this, all he has to do is ask anyof the webos Internals team and we'll make it happen.

    Which remindes me, Where _is_ the source for this being hosted, since you've said GPL2? Would you LIKE a git repository at preware.org?

    Rick
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by toofast4yourazz View Post
    ya i do agree preware is a tad slow on load up, but i also agree that you should submit your updates to preware, to help improve that, so everyone does not become split and thus would slow down the development of both IMO
    If I come up with anything super worth adding, I will definitely submit it to PreWare. Anyway they will be able to pull it from the source code anyway.
  14. Tyndall's Avatar
    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    #14  
    How MUCH faster? i mean, come on...I'm not dieing while Preware loads.....it's relatively painless to me while it updates feeds. Let's talk about the calendar loading or a Luna reboot if you want to talk about painful.

    Another Installer app may be useful to you as a learning experience. Not sure how much "new" it will bring to the table.

    "Faster" would not be enough for me to switch from Preware.
    Last edited by Tyndall; 10/23/2009 at 06:34 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Rod is updating of feeds handled in Preware or in package manger?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    How MUCH faster? i mean, come on...I'm not dieing while Preware loads.....it's relatively painless to me while it updates feeds. Let's talk about the calendar loading or a Luna reboot if you want to talk about painful.

    Another Installer app may be useful to you as a learning experience. Not sure how much "new" it will bring to the table.

    "Faster" would not be enough for me to switch from Preware.
    I am still considering what I will contribute, stay tuned!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    How MUCH faster? i mean, come on...I'm not dieing while Preware loads.....it's relatively painless to me while it updates feeds. Let's talk about the calendar loading or a Luna reboot if you want to talk about painful.

    Another Installer app may be useful to you as a learning experience. Not sure how much "new" it will bring to the table.

    "Faster" would not be enough for me to switch from Preware.

    *EDIT* I would like the option to not load\update feeds for Themes since I never use them. But that is not a deal breaker for me.
    if you look around for the swap patch and open more cards patch they together speed up calender by 100% so check that out if you want a faster calender
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  18. a1aone's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    #18  
    Reminds me of the iphone installer!
  19. a1aone's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    #19  
    Basically all you did was change the icon?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Rod, personally I'd love to see an option to disable theme feeds on preware.. They take too much time to load, and I generally don't use them.

    -mark
    +1!

    I have zero interest in themes and therefore there's no point in having theme feeds slowing down PreWare on my device.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions