Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    @bclancy: I think you may have mis-read the quote you used...
  2.    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    In that case, you are "*dead to me". (* EDIT: Just an expression)

I suspect you just want to explore and think of things on your own, but I don't really like the attitude you are suggesting of "working alone", but I guess that's your prerogative.

Please don't let my opinion discourage you. I'm just sharing how I feel and you've proven so far that you do not "flame back" at criticism. Good luck. I hope you learn things (and I hope you eventually reconsider and work with the team once you have learned what you want to experience on your own).
    Thanks for your feedback! You may have misunderstood what I meant. I WANT to work with Preware, heck if they offered for me to join the team I would drop installer and help with the real thing. Unless, of course people still wanted me to develop it.
    Last edited by Opal Coba; 10/23/2009 at 09:32 PM.
  3.    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Opal,

How will you do your Homebrew App Store?

- Craig
    It is no longer in development.
    The app directory is missing from https://opalcoba.sourcerepo.com/opal...Source%20Code/ - are you intending to keep this source repository intact and up to date in accordance with the GPL?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5.    #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The app directory is missing from https://opalcoba.sourcerepo.com/opal...Source%20Code/ - are you intending to keep this source repository intact and up to date in accordance with the GPL?

-- Rod
    Werid, fixing. I sent you a email Rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opal Coba View Post
    Thanks for your feedback! You may have misunderstood what I meant. I WANT to work with Preware, heck if they offered for me to join the team I would drop installer and help with the real thing. Unless, of course people still wanted me to develop it.
    Ok, let me make this as clear as it is humanly possible to do.

Once again, for the fourth time in this thread, we would be PERFECTLY HAPPY for you to work on Preware with us.

It's very very simple.

Clone the git repository of Preware.

Make a change to the code.

Push your changes up to the git repository, asking for a merge. The changes will be reviewed and assuming that they help and don't BREAK anything will be incorporated into the mainline code.

After several successful merge requests, you will be granted permission to push your merges DIRECTLY into the distributed code.

That's the way that Open Source Projects work. You become part of the team by PRODUCING something and CONTRIBUTING it to the project. After several contributions, you promote to a central team member and have reduced oversite (but never none, because many eyes make safe code.)

So, PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE help us with Preware.

If, for example, you want to contribute your suggested modificationn to Preware to have a "user category" on startup, then ___ DO IT ___ and contribute the code back to the project. You will be credited for your changes.

We would love to have ANYONE's help. The way to help is to DO IT. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Opal Coba View Post
    The new version of Installer has a menu at the front when your first launch it, You just select who you are.

Develeper - Everything
    Basic - Apps & Thems
    Guru -Apps & Patches
    Themer - Only Themes

Of course you could always do that by going to prefrences and selecting the feed, but non technical users may not know which feed is which.
    I couldn't see this new feature in the source code repository ... can you point out where it is?

Are you using the source code repository in the way that conventional open source projects use it (i.e. as a means of keeping other developers up to date with the evolving state of the code before release), or are you using it simply as a means to comply with the strict requirements of the GPL?

Is it your intention to operate as a conventional open source development project where code is freely and continually published during the development process for review and alpha testing (as Preware does), or is it your intention to develop new features behind closed doors for fear that someone might copy the code before you release the new version of the application?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    The silence is deafening.
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Rod, personally I'd love to see an option to disable theme feeds on preware.. They take too much time to load, and I generally don't use them.

-mark
    You can turn off the theme feeds. go into prefs, click the feeds button on the title bar and turn them off.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrognome View Post
    Well that features and others are not documented very well, if at all. I go to the preware page on webos-iterns and there is no help notes at all about how to change the feeds.
    I fully agree.

Luckily, the Preware documentation page is on a wiki, so *you* can help improve the documentation. We'd really like a whole lot of screencasts or youtube videos that show how to do absolutely everything with Preware.

If you enjoy using Preware, and have been looking for a way to say "Thanks", this would be the perfect way ...

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Shame on me but here goes my attempt at humor.

- I like the idea of using Installer for the Fart Apps.

< childish, but I am feeling youthful right now >

Opal, whatever your intention, I think you are also learning valuable lessons within the forum and the work you are doing. Rod has prodded and been kind and he's right, Open Source is worth defending even if it's your (his / their) work originally. Best way to get past the learning curve is to work with other great minds - not take theirs and publish without improvements/enhancements that they didn't want to put into their code. Forking is inevitable but fork it, don't just relabel it.

No flaming here - just some advice from someone who doesn't even develop. Find a niche and bring the app to market, even if a niche market. Speaking for some, the last thing we need is another same app.

Here's an idea, in all seriousness, you do have the right first thought - rename the Preware app to be something more meaningful and understandable by the masses - something like "Installer". That alone would have been an excellent contribution to the preware team.

Not that you should care or do care, but you did invite feedback.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I fully agree.

Luckily, the Preware documentation page is on a wiki, so *you* can help improve the documentation. We'd really like a whole lot of screencasts or youtube videos that show how to do absolutely everything with Preware.

If you enjoy using Preware, and have been looking for a way to say "Thanks", this would be the perfect way ...

-- Rod
    And this afternoon I started tweaking the wiki page. I uploaded a bunch of screen shots of the prefs section, and what not. Been thinking on just how to present it.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Why is this back in the homebrew store? I believe this app to be utterly useless.
    Opal,

I notice that version 0.0.2 of Installer has been released. A couple of comments:

1) What new features have you added compared to Preware? From looking at the source code, I see only the following:

a) Some visual colouring and text style changes
    b) Some preferences set to different defaults

2) You have not properly incorporated all of the bug fixes from Preware 0.9.5 - it's a pity that users of Installer will need to continue to suffer ... (see line 104 of /app/assistants/pkg-view-assistant.jsjsjs $in$ $particular$).

3) You have changed the apiVersion requirement from 6 to 7, however you have not used any of the features of the v7 API, and you will cause problems for anyone who installs Installer before upgrading the Package Manager Service ... (they won't be able to use Installer to upgrade the Package Manager Service due to this unnecessary change).

4) In the ipkg control file, you have the Maintainer listed as "Opal Coba Ltd <palm@palm.com>" - you may want to change that email address.

5) I don't see any changelog, or checkin comments in the SVN repository. In fact, each of the revisions in the SVN source code repository seems to be a complete deletion and then re-adding of all files, which makes it very difficult to compare the state of the source code between the versions. Is this a mistake, or an intentional obfuscation technique?

Are you intending to use the source code repository as a true working and collaboration area, or are you simply using it as a means to comply with the letter of the GPL?

6) The homebrew applications entry incorrectly categorises Installer - it should be listed as "Rooting Required" since it cannot run without the Package Manager Service. I suspect you will have many people downloading Installer using fileCoaster, and then wondering why it does not run, and this has the potential of giving Preware a bad name (since Installer is functionally identical, and visually equivalent to Preware), so I strongly object to this state of affairs and would request that you categorise Installer properly. On this point, I will be talking to the PreCentral moderators if this is not corrected immediately.

In general, I don't see any differences from Installer 0.0.1 which are not simply merging the changes from Preware (and doing so incompletely at that). Can you please outline what functional changes or promised speed improvements you have made over Preware which justifies this new public release?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    Why is this back in the homebrew store? I believe this app to be utterly useless.
    I beg to differ. Since it's functionally identical to Preware, it is a superbly useful app

(apart from the introduced bug in the merge)

-- Rod
    I beg to differ. Since it's functionally identical to Preware, it is a superbly useful app

(apart from the introduced bug in the merge)

-- Rod
    I see your point as far as functionality.. I'm just having a little bit of difficulty understanding why someone would copy & paste Preware and slap a different name on it. Has he introduced anything special? Something that made you Preware guys go "D'oh! why didn't we think of that?"
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    I see your point as far as functionality.. I'm just having a little bit of difficulty understanding why someone would copy & paste Preware and slap a different name on it.
    So are we ;-)

Has he introduced anything special? Something that made you Preware guys go "D'oh! why didn't we think of that?"
    Not yet. He has some plans that fully overlap with Preware plans (make thing faster, etc), but we've seen no functional changes in either of the two releases of Installer.

-- Rod
    Well I hope this doesn't become messy and that both parties can work together for the better of the homebrew community. Cheers to ya!
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Personally I am hoping Opal gets distracted now that Borderlands is out and Installer, at least in its current iteration, goes away
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567