Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    maybe he could turn it into a theme app. Maybe the themes should be a different app altogether. Maybe someone should focus on theme installer alone. This would make it so we can choose individual files to place into webos from the themes. Like the "patches screen" in webos quickinstall. Loading a theme with check marks on what png we want to select thus creating our own theme. Does this make sense? I like certain dialers, and other icons... Maybe opal can take this challenge on.. Eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    maybe he could turn it into a theme app. Maybe the themes should be a different app altogether. Maybe someone should focus on theme installer alone. This would make it so we can choose individual files to place into webos from the themes. Like the "patches screen" in webos quickinstall. Loading a theme with check marks on what png we want to select thus creating our own theme. Does this make sense? I like certain dialers, and other icons... Maybe opal can take this challenge on.. Eh?
    Yea I wonder if he would I have discussed it with Prethemer ( anoutsider on precentral) about it and he was trying to do a simpliar app, but being able to pick and choose will be so much easier.
    +1 there are several things i would like to load onto my phone but they are from several diff. themes i like one dialer here and a single icon for launcher there and i dont want my whole phone switched up ,it just does not work for me ,then theres all these people that cant get the whole theme off their phone after installing it . not for me!!!
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Oh forgot to add one changing the boot screen to what you want also
    Quote Originally Posted by jblake1030 View Post
    Yea I wonder if he would I have discussed it with Prethemer ( anoutsider on precentral) about it and he was trying to do a simpliar app, but being able to pick and choose will be so much easier.
    Yes, I've discussed it with oil (preware maker), and I likely will as soon as I have some time which is my biggest issue right now. If someone does this beforehand, kudos to them
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    Yes, I've discussed it with oil (preware maker), and I likely will as soon as I have some time which is my biggest issue right now. If someone does this beforehand, kudos to them
    cool.. sounds like a plan
    Quote Originally Posted by Opal Coba View Post
    Hello! The facebook page isnt really me >.> I'll look over the update and update Installer, in the meantime while Installer does not have any great functionality over PreWare I am removing it from the Homebrew App Catalog. As some feedback told me I may be confusing new users to hombrew. Thanks for your feedback!
    I am still not understanding...

What functionality did Installer offer that Preware does not offer?

Did anyone download Installer to compare code differences to Preware?

OpalCoba has now removed his hoax from his website claiming that he had given the NIH the "soultion" to the "N1H1" "desiese".
    Researchers from the Institute of Health arrived Tuesdayto find a small parcel containing a note and a bottle labeled “For the sick“. The note simply said the name “Opal Coba” and said that the secret would be revealed at a later date. “Very curious, who ever this Opal Coba is he is one clever creature.” Said a researcher who wished to remain anonymous as he was not authorized to speak about the topic. Opal also left his email address along with the note, researchers are emailing Opal about it but so far, no response. As far as medical minds can tell Opal somehow found a solution that kills N1H1 cells. “Its a soultion that I do hope Opal releases it soon as it would rid us of the desiese.”
    I am in no way saying that Installer is OpalCoba's second hoax this week.

But if a person did want to take an existing program and put malware into a Pre to get login or other account information, keystroke capture, or just put your phone in an infinite loop, couldn't they do it pretty easily?

And if you were going to do that wouldn't the best way be to claim to fork a complicated open source program like Preware and hide your code with a simple trogan horse timer set to go off in a couple of days?

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 10/23/2009 at 10:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post

OpalCoba has now removed his hoax from his website claiming that he had given the NIH the "soultion" to the "N1H1" "desiese". I am in no way saying that Installer is OpalCoba's second hoax this week.

But if a person did want to take an existing program and put malware into a Pre to get login or other account information, keystroke capture, or just put your phone in an infinite loop, couldn't they do it pretty easily?

And if you were going to do that wouldn't the best way be to claim to fork a complicated open source program like Preware and hide your code with a simple trogan horse timer set to go off in a couple of days?

- Craig
    I was kind of wondering the same but did not want throw around any accusations and get my hand slapped for it.

Glad I was not the only one thinking this way....
    I think I read about that somewhere. Its called a DISCLAIMER. USE EVERYTHING AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I wouldn't risk it until I've at least read some good reviews, and so far, well... you know. I see this as someone who jumped into the OPENSOURCE theory with both feet, and should have taken another route. Like knock on the door.

Mind you, there are other steps, and maybe SOMEONE should LAY them out. I do not think he should have just taken Preware, post it up as a new name, and then talk about what he is going to do. BUT, the open source rules permit it. (to a point) Maybe some type of recommendations or some code notes that state PREWARE, although doesn't mind, but, would like you to join in on the movement, yada yada.. From a Non-programmers view of what I read, I feel like he STOLE something from you guys.
    I agree with your thinking Milominderbinder. Also, if folks are wanting to mod any themes, just visit prethemer.com. It is really pretty detailed in what you can change, then make a theme you like, then share it with everyone else. I know that isn't the same as an app to do this, but it can be done.
    So did it mess anyone's phone up at all ? I didnt download it...
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    I don't think anyone is hating on Opal, I think people are just shocked that he took preware and made all these claims to make it faster and improve it yet he hasn't even looked at the source code to see how he could do that. He never once contacted the Preware team to see if he could help out with it. Instead he just forked it with all the promises he hasn't looked into yet.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
  13.    #113  

OpalCoba has now removed his hoax from his website claiming that he had given the NIH the "soultion" to the "N1H1" "desiese". I am in no way saying that Installer is OpalCoba's second hoax this week.

- Craig
    I assure you that their is no keylogggers, private information stealers or anything like that. Furthermore I welcome anyone to use 7-zip or any other program and break open my ipk that I publicly released. I hope to improve preware, I am not trying to take credit for building it. I will be adding features this weekend and I hope to work closely with the PreWare team and respond to feedback submited by the users. I also removed Installer from the v2 gallery to not confuse users until there is a diffrence between PreWare and Installer. Installer will continue to harness the advanced package manager. Thank you for your feedback!
  14.    #114  
    The new version of Installer has a menu at the front when your first launch it, You just select who you are.

Develeper - Everything
    Basic - Apps & Thems
    Guru -Apps & Patches
    Themer - Only Themes

Of course you could always do that by going to prefrences and selecting the feed, but non technical users may not know which feed is which.
    I assure you that their is no keylogggers, private information stealers or anything like that. Furthermore I welcome anyone to use 7-zip or any other program and break open my ipk that I publicly released. I hope to improve preware, I am not trying to take credit for building it. I will be adding features this weekend and I hope to work closely with the PreWare team and respond to feedback submited by the users. I also removed Installer from the v2 gallery to not confuse users until there is a diffrence between PreWare and Installer. Installer will continue to harness the advanced package manager. Thank you for your feedback!
    Thanks for the promise that you are not putting malware into Installer. I had hoped/thought not and in no way was alleging that.

I am still not understanding...What functionality did the Installer offer yesterday that Preware does not offer?

Since this is open source, will you post your source code?

Instead of asking to join the Preware team, you offered to let them join your team. How is this approach better than joining the Preware team?

- Craig
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    This horse is properly bloodied now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    This horse is properly bloodied now.
    Not quite yet (sorry, I'm late to the party)!

I'm hoping Craig can find a way to incorporate this button I whipped up into the forum some how...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by enormous; 10/23/2009 at 04:47 PM.
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by jblake1030 View Post
    I am down for the OpenSource sharing, I use Ubuntu at home, People with windows computers dont understand the OpenSource community (its going to be ok) Thats how things get better (unlike windows) But hope to see new features soon. I have a list of things I would like to see.
    1. I had a thread about somone having a ringtone app more info within this thread (http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...gtone-app.html) if you can add a feature to your installer would be great.
    2. Something like winterboard (found on the iPhone) being able to customize your theme even more. Adding features like certain battery icons, lock screen icons, main icons, background etc. ( I know there are themes but if it was more user friendly that the user can pick and choose would be awsome)
    3. More Categories within the themes selection..
    Thats all for now.... (JUST A THOUGHT)
    +1 to winder board idea =D. I will do more research on themes, as it was not a primary target.
  19.    #119  
    Thanks for the promise that you are not putting malware into Installer. I had hoped/thought not and in no way was alleging that.

I am still not understanding...What functionality did the Installer offer yesterday that Preware does not offer?

Since this is open source, will you post your source code?

Instead of asking to join the Preware team, you offered to let them join your team. How is this approach better than joining the Preware team?

- Craig
    Hi I would like to advise you to PLEASE look back and past posts. I never offered to let preware join MY team. That was a completely separate project. Installer was posted yesterday with nothing special about it, just posted for feedback. I do want to either work with or join the preware team. But as I am a learning developer I did not feel I was good enough to mess with the actual preware source code. I would also advise you to look at my first post which contains links to the SVN source code host.
    ... I do want to either work with or join the preware team. ...
    In that case, you are "*dead to me". (* EDIT: Just an expression)

I suspect you just want to explore and think of things on your own, but I don't really like the attitude you are suggesting of "working alone", but I guess that's your prerogative.

Please don't let my opinion discourage you. I'm just sharing how I feel and you've proven so far that you do not "flame back" at criticism. Good luck. I hope you learn things (and I hope you eventually reconsider and work with the team once you have learned what you want to experience on your own).
    Last edited by sudoer; 10/23/2009 at 07:26 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast