Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Do you mean caching the data in a form which is more readily reloaded?

At the moment, the Loading is the fast bit. It's the Updating from the Internet which is the slow bit, and the Daily and Manual options for updating affect that in a positive way.

What ideas did you have for implementation of speeding up the loading?

-- Rod
    I will have to take a look at the package manager. I will look at it tomorrow, how soon will you be rewriting Package Manger?
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    i am about 99.99% certain this new project will not improve load time without just disabling certain feeds. Honestly I don't see why you just didn't join the preware project and add these to preware. Preware is ALWAYS adding new features and looking for suggestions. I don't think splitting this into 2 projects is health, causes confusion for the users.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    i am about 99.99% certain this new project will not improve load time without just disabling certain feeds. Honestly I don't see why you just didn't join the preware project and add these to preware. Preware is ALWAYS adding new features and looking for suggestions. I don't think splitting this into 2 projects is health, causes confusion for the users.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I really don't want to see the Preware team's workload increased because they either have to communicate with a forking developer (pun intended) after the fact, or if they have to use a public board like this one (which is less efficient than communicating with the current project on webos-internals). Please take your conversation to over there and stop confusing people by announcing a project without clearly communicating what is in each release. I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm coming across harshly, but at the very least, you will diminish the effectiveness of the team who builds the code you are basing off of, and more likely this will result in even more confusion here on PreCentral about whether to use WebOsQI, Preware, or your forking bright idea.

'nuff said (from me at least)
    Thank You for your feedback.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opal Coba View Post
    I will have to take a look at the package manager. I will look at it tomorrow, how soon will you be rewriting Package Manger?
    So it sounds like you made plans to make things faster without even looking at the source code first to see what needs to be done or if it is even possible.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Our C rewrite has been undertaken by Ryan and others in git.webos-internals.org Git - services/ipkgmgrsrv.git/tree

We expect it will some time before we can change over, since we need to make it backwards compatible to the current Preware application so that we can do an automatic migration without the user noticing.

What are you plans for handing Package Manager Service updates?

Will you be publishing an SCM repository for your work? The download page you have at the moment is very difficult to use to see your changes and get a diff against our upstream code repository.

Which software configuration management tool are you using?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Preware already has this capability.

App Menu -> Preferences -> Feeds (top-right corner button)

Disable and enable feeds as you please.

You can also use the Preferences to only update the feeds once a day, or even make it manual.

-- Rod
    Rod,

Preware loads in a fraction of the time with the two theme channels turned off. 350 packages vs. 850!

Did I miss this in the instructions in the Preware thread?

This is great!

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Rod,

Preware loads in a fraction of the time with the two theme channels turned off. 350 packages vs. 850!

Did I miss this in the instructions in the Preware thread?

This is great!

- Craig
    Perhaps you can do a front-page PreCentral article about the new feed management features in Preware

It's a difficult decision whether to enable all feeds by default, or to have all feeds in there but disable some by default - which ones do you disable?

Preware loads *really* fast with just the webos-internals feed enabled

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Rod, personally I'd love to see an option to disable theme feeds on preware.. They take too much time to load, and I generally don't use them.

-mark
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by steelshadow View Post
    +1
    That functionality is already there in Preware.

See a couple of posts above.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/22/2009 at 09:38 PM.
    To all who are hating on Opal Coba

Opal Coba comes out says he wants to make preware better, and you guys are shooting him down. Should had he talked to the internals guys first? probably. But he gave is reasoning
    Your right I should have conatcted the team, but I am a learning develeper I did not want to mess with the actual preware.
    He just wanted to mess around and learn, without screwing with preware and bothering the devs, and you guys are scolding him for it? And then, then, you blame him for people that wonder in and are too dumb to figure out to do stuff that is in the instructions littered throughout precentral on how to do it, who are we, apple? Must we control the environment so no one gets confused, rejecting a app that makes it look your screen is cracked, because people might get confused and think its actually cracked?

You all need to a least see what he does with it first, at least.

I hope you have fun Opal Coba
    I'm probably the first hater here, but I felt I needed to express my opinion because I felt another installer app would just muddy the waters. I didn't want to say more than that and I'm chillin' now. (FWIW, I had missed the post about "just learning".)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by fallen View Post
    To all who are hating on Opal Coba
    Just noting that no-one from the Preware development team is in that group.

We would have appreciated contact before going public, but different people have different approaches to doing things and we respect that.

I'm sure Opal Coba's intentions are for the greater good of the community (since this is all open source), and not for any kind of selfish reasons ...

You all need to a least see what he does with it first, at least.
    Indeed - I'm always interested in new developers who can help us improve the open standard interoperable package ecosystem for the good of the community.

-- Rod
  13.    #73  
    Our C rewrite has been undertaken by Ryan and others in git.webos-internals.org Git - services/ipkgmgrsrv.git/tree

We expect it will some time before we can change over, since we need to make it backwards compatible to the current Preware application so that we can do an automatic migration without the user noticing.

What are you plans for handing Package Manager Service updates?

Will you be publishing an SCM repository for your work? The download page you have at the moment is very difficult to use to see your changes and get a diff against our upstream code repository.

Which software configuration management tool are you using?

-- Rod
    https://opalcoba.sourcerepo.com/opalcoba/Installer/
    User: publicuser
    Pass: user
    Thanks. May I request you add a README to that source repo which identifies the upstream authorship of the files there?

-- Rod
  15.    #75  
    Thanks. May I request you add a README to that source repo which identifies the upstream authorship of the files there?

-- Rod
    Sorry I am new to repository's you mean, saying that the source is from preware?
    Sorry I am new to repository's you mean, saying that the source is from preware?
    Identifying the original location of the source code (on git.webos-internals.org) and identifying those files which you have modified.

Thanks,
    -- Rod
  17.    #77  
    Identifying the original location of the source code (on git.webos-internals.org) and identifying those files which you have modified.

Thanks,
    -- Rod
    Added README.txt
    Quote Originally Posted by driv3thru View Post
    Also, is there a difference between Preware and Installer?
    At the moment, some labels have been changed, the default update frequency preference has been set to Daily, and the default theme preference has been set to palm-dark. Oh, Preware's random tag-lines have been replaced by a single "We did it again.".

So absolutely no functional difference from Preware yet. I'm interested to see what the first new feature will be ...

-- Rod
    Opal,

How are you doing? Nice to meet you.

I was trying to understand better where you are coming from so I went to your website.

I read your 10/20/09 blog you wrote:
    Researchers from the Institute of Health arrived Tuesdayto find a small parcel containing a note and a bottle labeled “For the sick“. The note simply said the name “Opal Coba” and said that the secret would be revealed at a later date. “Very curious, who ever this Opal Coba is he is one clever creature.” Said a researcher who wished to remain anonymous as he was not authorized to speak about the topic. Opal also left his email address along with the note, researchers are emailing Opal about it but so far, no response. As far as medical minds can tell Opal somehow found a solution that kills N1H1 cells. “Its a soultion that I do hope Opal releases it soon as it would rid us of the desiese.”
    So the NIH found a liquid outside their offices from you and did not call the police.

And you cured the "N1H1" "desiese".

I am sure that the teams that have been working on H1N1 will be happy to hear of your success.

And now 2 days later you "will be adding features" to Preware.

I did not understand what you meant when you offered to let us join your team.

I am at a loss for words...

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 10/23/2009 at 09:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    HA! I knew it was just a troll......and it wasn'y even April's Fool.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast