Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    its not fast its the same speed if not slower
    The speed enhancement is not in it... Work and progress.
    How about a search feature?

/Kevin
  3.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post

/Kevin
    Preware had that already, just start typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post

/Kevin
    To search in Preware, go to the List of Everything and start typing ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Please do the WebOS Internals team the courtesy of changing this page ...

In open source community conventions, that is one of the most important rules: to never put extra support load on the original project if you create a fork.

Thanks,
    -- Rod
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opal Coba View Post
    Preware had that already, just start typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    To search in Preware, go to the List of Everything and start typing ...

-- Rod
    Pretty much as I was posting that, I was thinking, 'I just know someone's going to tell me there's already a way to do this'. Bah. I'd tried various things, but I never once went to the 'List of Everything' and tried from there.

Thanks guys.

/Kevin
    The speed enhancement is not in it... Work and progress.
    What ideas do you have?

We're planning to rewrite the Package Manager Service in C instead of Java, but although it will allow us to give more feedback to the user during the update phase (and allow us to timeout non-responsive feeds), we don't think it will actually make anything faster in total (although the perception of speed will be there because the screen will change as the status is updated for each feed being downloaded and indexed).

-- Rod
    Hey where do I get The Package Manager Service?
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    if you look around for the swap patch and open more cards patch they together speed up calender by 100% so check that out if you want a faster calender
    Where are these patches? Not seeing them in Preware.......
    Quote Originally Posted by driv3thru View Post
    WebOS Quick Install --> Click the bottom button (Green Arrow to Disk Drive) --> WebOS-Internals Feed
    Quote Originally Posted by driv3thru View Post
    Follow the first 6 steps of the installation instructions at

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    Where are these patches? Not seeing them in Preware.......
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...rds-error.html

There should be 2 patches in there. One for swap, one for number of cards resolution
    I think it's just wonderful to see this kind of response from the dev teams. I understand that it's the nature of open-source... but it's still just awesome to see it in practice.
    Last edited by RizP; 10/22/2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: quote didn't carry over.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
  14.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    What ideas do you have?

We're planning to rewrite the Package Manager Service in C instead of Java, but although it will allow us to give more feedback to the user during the update phase (and allow us to timeout non-responsive feeds), we don't think it will actually make anything faster in total (although the perception of speed will be there because the screen will change as the status is updated for each feed being downloaded and indexed).

-- Rod
    I will change the help page, sounds great perception is what matters. Maybe speed it up by not loading the apps into lists every time? If its set to 'Daily'?
    Thanks!

Also, is there a difference between Preware and Installer?

I feel like a noob.
  16.    #57  
    Werid WebOsQuickInstall went wack. Anyone had something that it wont install a IPK on your computer but downloading from a repository and installing works?
    Lame.
    I will change the help page, sounds great perception is what matters. Maybe speed it up by not loading the apps into lists every time? If its set to 'Daily'?
    Do you mean caching the data in a form which is more readily reloaded?

At the moment, the Loading is the fast bit. It's the Updating from the Internet which is the slow bit, and the Daily and Manual options for updating affect that in a positive way.

What ideas did you have for implementation of speeding up the loading?

-- Rod
    I really don't want to see the Preware team's workload increased because they either have to communicate with a forking developer (pun intended) after the fact, or if they have to use a public board like this one (which is less efficient than communicating with the current project on webos-internals). Please take your conversation to over there and stop confusing people by announcing a project without clearly communicating what is in each release. I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm coming across harshly, but at the very least, you will diminish the effectiveness of the team who builds the code you are basing off of, and more likely this will result in even more confusion here on PreCentral about whether to use WebOsQI, Preware, or your forking bright idea.

'nuff said (from me at least)
    Last edited by sudoer; 10/22/2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast