Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have released the first version (0.9.0) of "Bus Tracker" my OneBusAway front end app for the Palm Pre. It provides realtime bus arrival information for the Washington State, King County transit system.

For more info see bchilds.com

Features include:

• list your favorite stops
    • find nearby stops
    • find stops on a map

In future releases I plan to add support for finding a stop for a specific route near your location and jumping to a specific stop number.

I have made the source code available under the MIT License here: http://svn.bchilds.com/onebusaway_pre.

I am also uploading this version to the Homebrew App catalog.

Updated 10/13

I have just changed the name of the app, no new features or bug fixes. There is no need to update unless you want to. Since I had to change the name BusTracker will now install alongside the previous OneBusAway app. You will have to delete the old version manually using the Launcher List Apps feature to get rid of it.
    Last edited by bchildsdotcom; 10/13/2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Changing name
    This is great!

I have one question. I don't see the stops in the Downtown Transit tunnel listed. Will that be something added in an update?

Thanks for making this app. This is going to be very useful.
    I too thank you greatly. This app is awesome, and indespensible!!

cheers,
    -m
  4.    #4  
    I have one question. I don't see the stops in the Downtown Transit tunnel listed. Will that be something added in an update?
    I haven't actually tried this downtown. If I browse there on the map and tap on the stations I do get the transit tunnel stations ie Westlake Station Bay C etc.

Are you not able to see these stops?

It is possible that they are not returned by the gps location system. I'll have to give it a go next time I'm in downtown.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    This looks very similar to BusTracker system for the CTA in Chicago. I use web based CTABusTracker.com now since there is no Pre app (there is an iPhone app).

I'm not sure who did the CTA system. It may be the same as what you are interfacing for King Cty. Any possiblity of interfacing the CTA?
    Last edited by maxmin; 10/12/2009 at 04:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    This is awesome, thanks a ton. Much easier to see arrivals/departures than using google maps
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I've been using the onebusaway.org site for a while now, but this is much easier since you can save favorites and get nearby stops on the fly.

Looking forward to updates, thanks for this!
  8. D R
    This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks a ton!

Would it be possible to expand the range of the "bus stops near you"? I can only click on/bookmark a bus stop no farther than a block or two away (even if it does show up on the map).

philburkhardt: I use the Pioneer St tunnel, so I will try to report back on if I can bookmark the stop or not when I'm in that area.

Once again, thanks bchilds!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Great app that has the potential to be even better with future updates! I would like to see the radius of "nearby stops" expanded...or else maybe let us bookmark a stop even if we're not currently nearby.

Thanks for a very useful app!
  10. D R
    Quote Originally Posted by philburkhardt View Post
    This is great!

So, the tunnel stops do work in the app, although you have to be sitting right on top of it due to the relatively small search radius. I tried loading Pioneer St Station today after work, and while I was not able to get a fix on the stops while on the surface next to the station's elevator, I was able to get all bays but A to show up while IN the tunnel. I believe that the locater pegged me a bit south, so Bay A was just out of range (which is weird because that was the bay I was standing at).
  11.    #11  
    You can definitely peg a stop even if it is not 'nearby'.

From the nearby stops page go to the map,

Now move to the area where the stop you want to peg is. Tap the refresh button, now tap on the desired stop (either from the map or from the list view).

Now tap the + button.

The nearby stops radius is currently 125m, if it doesn't find 4 stops w/in 125m it will expand to 250m and then 500m.

I'm open to changing this logic. I will at least make the initial search radius configurable via a preference. Although you can always see more stops by going to the map view and using the refresh button on the bottom left. It will fetch all stops in the current view.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmin View Post
    This looks very similar to BusTracker system for the CTA in Chicago. I use web based CTABusTracker.com now since there is no Pre app (there is an iPhone app).

I'm not sure who did the CTA system. It may be the same as what you are interfacing for King Cty. Any possiblity of interfacing the CTA?
    I'm pretty sure the OneBusAway API is only used for the King County Metro system at the moment. You would have to find out from CTA if they have a web service that is available to get the data. If so it should be fairly trivial to adapt my software to work with their service, and all the maps logic etc could be re-used.

I wouldn't personally be able to develop this too well since I don't live in the Chicago area and wouldn't be able to test it very easily .
  13.    #13  
    As a heads up, I'm going to be changing the name of the app tomorrow at the request of OneBusAway who want to distinguish third party apps from official OneBusAway apps.

Currently I'm thinking 'Seattle Bus Tracker' although that sounds kind of lame. Any suggestions appreciated .
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    In the SF East Bay's AC Transit District the GPS-enabled technology is referred to as NextBus. AC Transit | Rider Info | NextBus

You should check the copywrite.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for the suggestion of "NextBus", I'm a little bit wary of using any potentially trademarked names for things. I'm using Bus Tracker for now. If anybody has alternate suggestions let me know .
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Does anyone know who the devloper of the Andriod version of CTA Tracker, called CTA Trackerlite??

I would love to have him do a WebOS version.
    You're right! I found the University St. station info I was looking for.

Thanks again!
    There are alot of fun interesting apps out there but few as useful as this, I'm gonna wear this out! Thanks. I'm having a little trouble adding favorite stops, I'll figure it out but if anyone has any tips let me know

PS; found it in the thread, Thanks
    I seriously hope if you are taking the bus that you didn't go out and spend all that money on the Pre. Just Saying
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by tforres3 View Post
    I seriously hope if you are taking the bus that you didn't go out and spend all that money on the Pre. Just Saying
    Some people take the bus for non-financial reasons such as avoiding traffic / using less gas .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast