Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Not immediately. I just moved to a new house and my wife and I are expecting our first child very soon, so coding has taken a back seat for now. I'll gladly accept patches, though. If you want the source code and my server isn't up (it's still not fully unpacked as of today), message me and I'll get you a copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Not immediately. I just moved to a new house and my wife and I are expecting our first child very soon, so coding has taken a back seat for now.
    Completely understandable! Congratulations on the little one!
  3.    #63  
    Hey, I finally got around to coding again over the last two nights (thanks to an irritating sunburn that's keeping me up, but I'm happy to be at the keyboard). So I managed to get the custom color settings worked in, which you can find in the Preferences. It works for the background color and score text.

A new release was just pushed into the homebrew catalog, so watch for that to show up in PreWare or WOSQI. The zip file on the first page of this thread is also up-to-date, and the subversion server has the latest source code (in tag 0.13.0, and also in the trunk as of today).
    Excellent...I have my blue background!!
    Very nice. Me like.
    First, I love Yahtzee - and when I sent my pre off to be fixed, I found myself playing Yahdice on my Centro ALL the time.

I'm SO used to that game, that I cannot break the habit of selecting the dice I want to re-roll - where in Five Dice you are supposed to select the dice you want to keep.

It seems counter intuitive to me. When I play Yahtzee for real - I'm picking up (or selecting) the dice I'm going to throw... and leaving the others alone.

Can you add an option in the preference that toggles that as an option? I WANT to enjoy this game... but that feature alone is killing it for me.

Please?
  7.    #67  
    Yeah, I can do that.
    The simplest way, as far as coding goes, would be to freeze all the dice after each roll (so they all show blue). Then you can un-freeze the ones you want to re-roll. How does that sound?
    Yeah, I can do that.
    The simplest way, as far as coding goes, would be to freeze all the dice after each roll (so they all show blue). Then you can un-freeze the ones you want to re-roll. How does that sound?
    Please make it optional. I like the current method of selecting the dice that you want to save.

Thanks!
  9.    #69  
    Check out version 0.14.0 when it hits the homebrew feed (or grab it from the top post if you're the adventurous type). It has an option to select the dice you want to re-roll. The new option is disabled by default; go to the Preferences scene to enable it (it's the second item on the screen).

Let me know if the implementation is lacking. I'm open to ideas for improving whatever, as far as I'm able. Of course, patches are always welcome. (In fact, a patch for getting dice animation to work would be greatly appreciated--I'm not having any luck on that front.)
    That sounds great. And I agree with Trekker, optional is good.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I love how effective user feedback is in these forums!
    Check out version 0.14.0 when it hits the homebrew feed (or grab it from the top post if you're the adventurous type). It has an option to select the dice you want to re-roll. The new option is disabled by default; go to the Preferences scene to enable it (it's the second item on the screen).
    Works great, tried both ways.

Let me know if the implementation is lacking. I'm open to ideas for improving whatever, as far as I'm able. Of course, patches are always welcome. (In fact, a patch for getting dice animation to work would be greatly appreciated--I'm not having any luck on that front.)
    Any chance of being able to select the dice color? For example, when you save dice, they show blue, unsaved shows white. When I use a blue background, it's sometimes hard to see the saved dice. Not a major issue but if it's something easy to implement, that would be cool.

Also, one minor thing I notice when you choose color preferences. You have 4 options: Background, Suggested scores, Actual Scores and Totals. The font in the color preferences is black. By default, I think one of the settings was black. Since the font was also black you could not tell what the choice was. I had to select it, change it to another color in order to see what the preference was. Does that make sense? Any way to change the font to a lighter color when selecting black? If not, that's ok, now that I know what to look for it's not a problem.

Here are a few screenshots to show what I mean. The first you can see all the preferences, the second shows the "totals" selection with a black font and also a black selection, notice you can't see the word "totals" anymore. Someone new to the game may not realize this.

13.    #73  
    Yeah, I noticed right away about the black text on black background, but couldn't think of a simple way around it. If it's bothersome enough, I can explore some potential work-arounds. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

As for the dice color, the blue tint is an ingrained part of the image. There are two sets of dice images--one plain set, and one blue set. When you tap on a die, the image gets swapped. It would be better to maybe have a clear overlay and a colored overlay, and then just swap out the overlay depending on whether you're holding the die. That would reduce resources a smidgen (since one image can be re-used on all dice), and would allow to easily add more colors. I don't know if colors can be added at run-time; I imagine there will just have to be a pre-determined set of colors to choose from.

I'm really stuck on how to animate the dice when you roll them, so maybe I'll take a crack at doing dice colors instead. In the meantime, if anyone can point me to an open-source app that's using the Mojo.Animation methods effectively, that'd be sweet.
  14.    #74  
    Version 0.15.0 was just submitted to the homebrew repository. Not being able to get the Mojo.Animation functions to work, I've taken Trekker's suggestion of blanking the dice during rolls. It turns out to work pretty well. It also removes the need for an option to disable the roll button between rolls, since the button remains disabled until all of the dice are showing.

If no problems are found with this release, I'll submit it to the official app catalog, where it will go for $1. Free beta versions will still be available in homebrew before they get pushed out to the app catalog, so Preware and WOSQI will continue to hook you up with the latest version. I'll continue to work on the other requested features as I'm able, and release them as beta to homebrew before pushing them out to the larger public.

Please pound away on this version and provide any feedback you can. In particular, I'm curious to know what you all think of the available roll speeds (i.e., should there be slower speeds available, is it a bad idea to allow instant rolling, should the slider be quadratic rather than linear, whatever).

Thanks everyone for your part in all this!
    Version 0.15.0 was just submitted to the homebrew repository.
    Looking forward to it...I'll be first in line to purchase it once it makes its way to the app catalog!
    Dice "animation" works great....it's nice that you can also set the speed at which they blank and redraw.

One other feature request....under "high scores" would it be possible to save our preferences? For example, if I always want to save just the top 10 highest scores, can an option be added to save that preference so that it will automatically save just the 10 highest scores (or whichever choice I make?)

Thanks for a great game...it keeps getting better and better!
  17.    #77  
    DON'T UPDATE FROM THE APP CATALOG UNTIL YOU GET VERSION 1.0.0 FROM PREWARE/WOSQI!
    You may have noticed that FiveDice has hit the App Catalog, where it's going for $1. It also has version 1.0.0 in the App Catalog, but I neglected to bump up the version number in HomeBrew until now. So the App Catalog will offer to update the app for you, but it will fail. There are two ways around this:
    1. Ignore the App Catalog's offer to update FiveDice, and just keep getting updates from HomeBrew. They're always free in HomeBrew, and from here on out the HomeBrew version number will be at least as high as the App Catalog version, so the App Catalog won't feel the need to offer an update.
    2. Delete the copy you have on your phone and download a new one from the App Catalog. This will cost you $1, and you'll lose your preferences and scores. You'll also have to wait for new features to finish their time in beta before they get pushed out to the App Catalog.

I've just bumped the HomeBrew version number up to match the App Catalog version, so you should see it in Preware or WebOSQI within a day. There aren't any visible changes--just deleted a stray comma that Palm pointed out in the appinfo.json file.
    2. Delete the copy you have on your phone and download a new one from the App Catalog. This will cost you $1, and you'll lose your preferences and scores.
    Can't you save them using the Save/Restore app, or will the restore not work with the app catalog version?

Edit: Saved high scores via the Save/Restore app then deleted app from Pre. Downloaded paid version in app catalog, launched it, then use Save/Restore to restore high scores. Worked without a hitch.

I'm going to see if preferences can also be added to the Save/Restore process.
    Last edited by Trekker; 09/18/2010 at 10:12 AM.
  19.    #79  
    Good to know. I haven't used the Save/Restore app, so that didn't occur to me.
    Good to know. I haven't used the Save/Restore app, so that didn't occur to me.
    Yeah, the high scores were restored with no problem. I put in a request here to see if someone could update save/restore so we can backup all the preferences, like color scheme, different players, etc.

By the way, if you had a Paypal link, I could send you a bigger donation than the $1 that I spent on the app.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast