Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    I just released version 0.11.0, which finishes the additions needed for multi-player. See the items listed in my post from 11/29/2009 for an overview of what's new in the in-game scenes. There's also a new scene that comes up when the application launches, where you manage your list of players.

This release is specially dedicated to Trekker, who prompted me to do something I didn't want to do, but turned out to be a really fun and educational experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    This release is specially dedicated to Trekker, who prompted me to do something I didn't want to do, but turned out to be a really fun and educational experience.
    Thanks....I'll give it a good workout this weekend!
  3.    #43  
    Version 0.12.0 is in the wild.
    We now have local high scores (that is, all your scores are saved to your device). You can view them by selecting the new "High Scores" menu item from the player selection scene or the main game scene. Of course, the game hasn't been saving any scores up until now, so you'll have to play at least one game after updating if you want to see any scores on the list.

The game is now about as feature-complete as I'd planned on making it, other than being able to upload scores to a global high score list (which I can't do until I get a good server), so now I'm all ears for refinement and enhancement requests. Just keep it reasonable, because I still need to start work on Farkle, Kakuro, etc.
    The game is now about as feature-complete as I'd planned on making it, other than being able to upload scores to a global high score list (which I can't do until I get a good server), so now I'm all ears for refinement and enhancement requests.
    As you stated, it's pretty much complete and works great. If you're looking for other tweaks here are a few:

1) Animated dice during roll - sometimes if you only have a few dice left to roll and the values don't change, you aren't sure if you hit the button or not. A slight animation would allow you to see that the dice are actually "rolling."

2) Any way to allow us to choose colors for background, buttons, etc?

Those are really minor requests and if you can't implement them for any reason, it's no big deal. The game is great as it is! Thanks for all the recently added features!
    With the high scores function, this is now my most played app. Nice work. The best thing about this game is how quickly it runs. I agree with Trekker's suggestions; changing the background color would be at the top of my list of minor tweaks.
  6.    #46  
    Custom colors should be quite doable (assuming I can find out how to change button colors, which has eluded me so far). Dice animation is another matter--I'm not good with animation, so I'm not sure how to approach that. Any ideas?
    Custom colors should be quite doable (assuming I can find out how to change button colors, which has eluded me so far). Dice animation is another matter--I'm not good with animation, so I'm not sure how to approach that. Any ideas?
    Custom colors would be cool to change the background, maybe the scoring colors too - possible score and saved score. I was thinking of a light blue background, and possible scores show as maybe white or grey and then once I choose a final score it turns black. Button colors wouldn't matter too much to me.

As far as the animation, maybe instead of "rolling the dice" you could just have them show blank for a second or two. For example, if a die shows a 5 and you want to roll it, have the 5 disappear and show just a blank white die for maybe 1 second and then have the new value appear.
    Couple of questions: how many high scores is the game going to store? I'm on 32 and counting.

And does anyone else roll repeat numbers a lot? Seems like if I hold four dice, I tend to roll and re-roll the same number for the fifth die a lot. I'm not sure if it's in my head. I'm considering a statistical study.
    Quote Originally Posted by virsago View Post
    And does anyone else roll repeat numbers a lot? Seems like if I hold four dice, I tend to roll and re-roll the same number for the fifth die a lot. I'm not sure if it's in my head. I'm considering a statistical study.
    I get that feeling, too, and so far I'm assuming it's in my head. But, that's another reason why it would be nice to see some kind of animation, or at least a blanking of the die "during" the roll; so you at least know you hit the "Roll" button.

Regards,
    Tom

I see that happen a lot, even with multiple dice. For example, I'll save 2 dice and roll 3 but the values of the 3 dice don't change even though the roll counter goes to the next roll. I wonder if there could be a bug? That's one reason I requested some type of animation so we know the dice are actually "rolled."

Still a great game!
  11.    #51  
    @virsago:
    It will store all of your scores. To infinity and beyond. At some point I will add options to the high score scene that let you limit how many scores it keeps and other janitorial stuff, but there are some considerations to take into account first, such as:
    1. I will eventually have a Web site where scores can be uploaded, like what Mirek has. I haven't decided exactly what the site will show, so depending on that, all your scores might need to be uploaded before they're deleted from the device.
    2. I'd like to add some statistical charts to the menu on the high scores scene, and that would require that you have a meaningful sample of scores (i.e., lots of them, taken from a time range, rather than just the highest n scores).

@all:
    Yeah, it's bothersome to see the same numbers come up repeatedly on the dice. When I played Mirek's version on my Treo, I had the animation turned off and noticed that sometimes it looked like the dice didn't roll, and I wondered if it was rigged (or just buggy). I'm reasonably confident that the game really is re-rolling the dice and just coming up with the same number, but I wouldn't mind if someone wants to double-check the code to see if something could be amiss; the code is always viewable from FiveDice - Revision 67: /, and the pieces in question are in the "sixSidedDie.jsjsjs&$quot$; $and$ &$quot$;$yahtzeeDice$.$js$&$quot$; $models$ ($in$ $the$ $trunk$/$app$/$models$/ $directory$). $I$ $think$ $adding$ $an$ $animation$, $like$ $Trekker$ $suggested$, $will$ $alleviate$ $the$ $impression$ $that$ $it$'$s$ $not$ $doing$ $anything$, $so$ $I$'$ll$ $probably$ $get$ $that$ $done$ $by$ $the$ $end$ $of$ $the$ $year$.
    I'm no expert programmer, but I don't see anything in the code to cause repeat rolls. I do wonder if _value = (Math.round(Math.random() * 5)) + 1; should be _value = Math.floor(Math.random()*6+1); for a more even distribution? If I'm not mistaken, you can end up with less 1's and 6's with Math.round instead of Math.floor.
    I'm reasonably confident that the game really is re-rolling the dice and just coming up with the same number
    That's cool...I play the game a lot so maybe it just seems like it doesn't re-roll at times.

I also think you should create a sig with a donation link.
  14.    #54  
    I'm no expert programmer, but I don't see anything in the code to cause repeat rolls. I do wonder if _value = (Math.round(Math.random() * 5)) + 1; should be _value = Math.floor(Math.random()*6+1); for a more even distribution? If I'm not mistaken, you can end up with less 1's and 6's with Math.round instead of Math.floor.
    Spot on!
    I just ran a test using both methods (counting up how many times each number comes up over a million iterations), and here are the results:

Histogram using rounding: 99785 199724 199847 200872 199893 99879
    Histogram using floor: 167164 166733 166365 166682 166183 166873

That's for the numbers 1 through 6, going from left to right. As you can see, with rounding, 1 and 6 come up half as many times as the other values, whereas with floor, it's even across the boards.

I'll certainly change to the better method on my next bug-fix release, along with a couple of spelling/spacing problems.

I knew there was a reason I wanted this open-source!
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Aha! So there is a reason it's harder to get my ones and sixes. I was going to mention this, but figured it was probably just my imagination. Thanks for the great app!
  16.    #56  
    For update #2 this week, I decided to do something about the High Scores scene being so slow to load when you've played more than one or two dozen games. There's now a Delete Scores... menu item in the High Scores scene. If you don't mind paring down your high score list, you have a few options on how to cut it down to size, and that will help the high scores load faster.
    Awesome game... looking foward to next update!
    Did you fix the 1's and 6's in the latest update?
  19.    #59  
    Yes, that was the main fix in version 0.12.1, released on December 16th.
    Hi....just curious if there will be any more updates? Maybe changing background colors and dice animation (something simple like having the die blank for a second.)

If not, that's ok, the game works fine, just thought I'd check to see if you plan on any more tweaking.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast