Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    I just discovered something trying to edit a book. I used acrobat to convert a book from PDf to txt then I tried converting to html using open office. When I put the book onto my phone it showed as 1 big text block, that means no paragraphs.

When I used the same txt file and used the mobipocket creator program to create a prc file that I normally used on my treo it also creates a html file in the same publication folder. When I used that html file to read the book it came out formatted corectly.

So maybe from this if people are using open office or possibly at least some versions or word it is formatting the html wrong for this reader to read it. If so, try using the mobipocet creator program like this to convert text to html. The program is free and I forget what its called but when you install it use the one with more features (it might be called editor version), I know that will convert straight from pdf to prc (and along with that the html file) so those having problems with pdf conversion might want to try that also, when I get a chance I will test that out to see how it works.
    I have an e-book in UTF-8 that uses single quotes:

‘Hello, world!’
    Instead of double quotes:

"Hello, world!"
    When opening it in Palm Reader, the single quotes all get stripped out. Anything I can do?
    it's not about single v double quotes, its about straight (') v smart quotes (’), and a whole host of other things - em-dashes, special characters, etc. i'm not sure it's a problem with the app, might just be the platform.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    it's not about single v double quotes, its about straight (') v smart quotes (), and a whole host of other things - em-dashes, special characters, etc. i'm not sure it's a problem with the app, might just be the platform.
    I expect it is an application problem how the html is is send to the page to display it. I have the same problem wis German special characters .

I created a test HTML and saved it a UTF-8. All characters are shown when I include it in the 'Simple Bible' App.
    All special characters are gone when I open the same HTML in the Palm Reader.

So webOs can handle it, bu I expect it is a Problem of the conversion and how the scene is generated in Palm Reader.

vance6842: If you need a text file send me a PM.

HaPe
    thanks for the PalmReader! This is a big improvement over my previous PDF method. I am more in the get-me-something-i-can-use-now camp and am pleased at your willingness to consider constructive suggestions and continually improve. Right now I'm in hospital with open network but as soon as i'm out will send donation as a reader was at the top of my most wanted. Thanks again.
  6.    #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    I expect it is an application problem how the html is is send to the page to display it. I have the same problem wis German special characters .
    Interesting! I'll see what I can do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by stillgale View Post
    thanks for the PalmReader! This is a big improvement over my previous PDF method. I am more in the get-me-something-i-can-use-now camp and am pleased at your willingness to consider constructive suggestions and continually improve. Right now I'm in hospital with open network but as soon as i'm out will send donation as a reader was at the top of my most wanted. Thanks again.
    Thank you very much Working hard to improve it as we speak. Big update coming in the next few days, but I won't ruin the surprise.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Thx for this app in advance. I have been so busy I haven't installed it on purpose because it will keep me from stuff I need to do right now

Look forward to givin er a go!!!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I am a long time palm os user. My reader of choice for prior palm os is tejpwriter, which allows editing as you go. I use all my devices to read books, primarily in .txt format and thus have numerous choices. I have had the pre since day one and have looked forward to a native reader. This reader handles .txt files quite nicely and I have only two minor complaints. One, the space between paragraphs and two the fact that full screen leaves a semi-transparent bar at screen bottom. It seems this problem is palm os specific.

This said, I am really more than pleased with Palm Reader qua reader. Thanks for your work. I will be a purchaser when it is available for purchase. Meanwhile I have sent a donation. Fine work!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I forgot to add an additional problem with the Reader. When changing pages, the lines of text do not properly align with the top of the page. That is, after a number of pages turns, the line at the top of the page is cut off so that only the bottom portion of the line is showing. Can this be corrected?
    Somebody asked for the progress bar at the bottom, so he could see how far he is. This can be quite distracting. Unless it is possible to do it as author of Qreader for S60 did. It is possible to customize it, so it can even look like this: http://www.redsymbian.com/img/testy/e51p/8.jpg

Just a row of dots, where width of the screen represents 100% of the book.

Generally I would recommend having a look at this app, since it's the most customizable ebook reader I have ever seen (using WiMo, PalmOS and S60) and I really hope Palm Reader will become even better!

Pegass
    Last edited by pegass; 10/20/2009 at 05:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pegass View Post
    Somebody asked for the progress bar at the bottom, so he could see how far he is. This can be quite distracting. Unless it is possible to do it as author of Qreader for S60 did. It is possible to customize it, so it can even look like this: http://www.redsymbian.com/img/testy/e51p/8.jpg

I would just prefer a percentage at say the lower right corner. Dots are not accurate anyway. The same logic that made me want the percentage displayed along side the battery icon on the Pre.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I would just prefer a percentage at say the lower right corner. Dots are not accurate anyway. The same logic that made me want the percentage displayed along side the battery icon on the Pre.
    Shortcovers does page count for each chapter ... like "24/46" (you're on page 24 out of 46 in this chapter). But it only shows if you tap/hold the screen, and then a little options bar slides up. I use this feature all the time ... nice to be able to see how many more pages until the end of the chapter.
  13.    #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Shortcovers does page count for each chapter ... like "24/46" (you're on page 24 out of 46 in this chapter). But it only shows if you tap/hold the screen, and then a little options bar slides up. I use this feature all the time ... nice to be able to see how many more pages until the end of the chapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    We will be tuning the interface to add these kinds of "bells and whistles" later on down the road. Right now we're focusing on increased functionality. But we won't forget about interface!

Quote Originally Posted by anson View Post
    I forgot to add an additional problem with the Reader. When changing pages, the lines of text do not properly align with the top of the page. That is, after a number of pages turns, the line at the top of the page is cut off so that only the bottom portion of the line is showing. Can this be corrected?
    The next update has some new paging code which may address your problem. I hope to get that out by next week. Let me know at that time if this is not resolved for you.

Quote Originally Posted by anson View Post
    I am a long time palm os user. My reader of choice for prior palm os is tejpwriter, which allows editing as you go. I use all my devices to read books, primarily in .txt format and thus have numerous choices. I have had the pre since day one and have looked forward to a native reader. This reader handles .txt files quite nicely and I have only two minor complaints. One, the space between paragraphs and two the fact that full screen leaves a semi-transparent bar at screen bottom. It seems this problem is palm os specific.
    That bar has been mentioned several times It's annoying, and I'm trying hard to figure out how to remove it.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Just wanted to say I love the app and the way you listen to feedback. This will definitely be a purchase when it makes it to the app catalog.
    Hi

Maybe you’ll find useful some of the below ideas. I think perfect reader for Pre could have:

- Possibility to assign hard keys to certain functions, like page up/down for example. That could be handy for one hand reading, to navigate the pages with volume buttons or space button (space works today, but it’s non customizable);
    - Autoscroll – already partially done, what somebody could miss is the speed adjustment – not everybody read at same speed; Adjustments done cia flexible scale, or via sliding once on the screen up/down (the faster you slide up the faster autoscroll will go);
    - Backlight adjustments – should be able to override system settings for standby time; also it could have own timer, just for application, so I can set it for always on, or 5 minutes for example;
    - Orientation of the text – could be set in the preferences as it is today, or preferably, using accelerometer;
    - Interlinear space – this is very handy, since the bigger it is the easier the reading goes; a must sub function is line top/down line alignment, having half line visible is very uncomfortable;
    - Colours – done already;
    - Status bar – as written few posts earlier, it nice to have, but I wouldn’t demand too much here. Simple line. Percentages, page numbers aso take priceless space and distracts;
    - Hyphenation* – this is good one. Should be possible to turn it on when needed, but not only according to English grammar rules. The more the better;
    - Regional settings* – Region (West Europe, East Europe, East Asia, Middle Eastern, Unicode aso) should be possible to be chosen; Charest (west European, Cyrillic, Baltic, Central European aso) should be possible to be chosen; Code page settings should be there for the choice of user and properties of document (dos, iso, mac, win – I am having issues with polish TXT files for example);
    - Font size – already done, but has to “keep in mind” this “half line visible” issue
    - Alligment – Left, right, justify
    - Maybe also text direction: left to right or right to left*
    - Keyboard backlight switch, or brightness adjustment bar separately for screen and keyboard (during long sessions the open Pre seems to be more comfortable to hold, and keyboard shining in the dark is PITA)

* I assume author(s) do the Palm Reader with AppCatalog in mind, so they will be interested in having as many customers as possible all over the world, therefore I assume internationalization will have higher priority.

Hope you can use some of those

cheers
    Pegass
    Last edited by pegass; 10/22/2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: minor typoos and corrections
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I was one of those who asked for a progress bar. Some suggested showing the percentage in the corner. This would satisfy me.

Just my 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by pegass View Post
    Hi
    - Keyboard backlight switch, or brightness adjustment bar separately for screen and keyboard (during long sessions the open Pre seems to be more comfortable to hold, and keyboard shining in the dark is PITA)
    In case you're interested, there's an existing app that does this. http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...tness-unlinked
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Anyone recommend a free PDF to html converter?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    Anyone recommend a free PDF to html converter?
    I use pdf2html - you can download the command-line software here:

PDFTOHTML conversion program

You just drag your pdf to the pdf2html.exe file and it creates the output.

There's a gui (pdf2htmlgui) also - I googled pdf2htmlgui.zip and found it here, but it may be elsewhere:

Tiscali Jack - Download

If you want to convert complex pdf files with images, you'll need ghostscript as well; it works with the gui. It's also at sourceforge:

Ghostscript | Get Ghostscript at SourceForge.net

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mva1958 View Post
    I use pdf2html - you can download the command-line software here:

PDFTOHTML conversion program

You just drag your pdf to the pdf2html.exe file and it creates the output.

There's a gui (pdf2htmlgui) also - I googled pdf2htmlgui.zip and found it here, but it may be elsewhere:

Tiscali Jack - Download

If you want to convert complex pdf files with images, you'll need ghostscript as well; it works with the gui. It's also at sourceforge:

Ghostscript | Get Ghostscript at SourceForge.net

Hope this helps.
    Exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast