Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    Vance,

Thanks for removing the 2 book restriction. I am experimenting with an extremely large file. It's the NLT version of the bible. I purchased this a few years back from olivetree.com and they have versions for old palm os, mobile windows, iphone, etc. I tried to convert my palm version (pdb) to html with ABC Amber converter. It seemed to convert fine but the converted file is the file that initially locked up the reader app.

I have since downloaded an iphone version of the bible (pdb also but very different from the palm one). I converted (again with ABC Amber) to html and am loading it now in Palm Reader. The html file was nearly 8mb so palm reader is taking a while to crunch it, but this time I do see progress indicator moving. I'll update with success or failure shortly.

Update: Progress bar finished, but it still says "LOADING BOOK..." How long should I give it until I give up and close the app?

Update2: I think the phone is locked up. The time hasn't changed in 7 minutes and I can't minimize or launch anything else. Removed battery. Will try again.
    We are aware it doesn't work well with very large files. We'll probably have to add some code to split the files up into multiple books or something like that. Sorry for the inconvenience, but we'll get to it before too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    Yes, but they don't work If anyone can correct me on this, I'd be obliged. The functions that palm provides to suspend sleep mode do not work in our app, and I have seen complaints from other developers saying the same. Hopefully this will be addressed soon.
    The homebrew app called Timepiece will keep the screen on. No clue how it does it though.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by try0625 View Post
    my problem is that this reader does not support Chinese. Could you please let me know what code do your reader support? ANSI, UNICODE or what? Thanks.
    Hi, did you make sure to save you html file as UTF-8 on the PC before you copy it to your pre?

I had the same problem with a greek bible for the simple bible project. I needed to open the HTML file in an editor and then save it as UTF-8. The editor that works for me is this one: EditPlus - Text Editor, HTML Editor, PHP Editor and Java Editor for Windows

HaPe
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    You are not condescending at all. I understand what you are saying.

My problem is I never get to the arrows. It just sits there with the SEARCH grayed out. When I first press it, it turns black, I assume this is when it is searching, then it turns gray. That is it. No results, no arrows to search through, it just stays on that screen. All I can do is swipe back to get back to the book.

BTW I pulled my book into word and it also has the extra CR's in it. Must be the HTML code just ignoring them. So I wonder if it is possible to simply do the same on the reader, ignore more then one CR in a row. That would probably solve a lot of problems and you should not really need more than one CR anyway except between chapters etc...
    I have the same problem...I hit search, it grays out for a while, so it presumably is searching, but then when it is done...nothing. I hit the arrows and nothing happens. The thing is, I started by losing one of my trials, then I (stupidly) tried a text file (functionality is in beta, correct?) Will get back when I try HTML later on.
    Just posted a revision, check the change log for updates. Also added a donate button based upon requests by users. Thank you all for the feedback and support.
    Thanks! I really appreciate the fact that you posted this app here and are so responsive to user feedback. Donations are the least we can do to express our appreciation And ps, let us know whenever you figure out the bar at the bottom of the screen issue.... ;-)
    This is cool, very useful
    I've been using Palm Reader for several days and so far have not experienced any major problems. It found the .htm files in my Classic virtual memory card without any trouble. I converted a few .pdb files (most of my ebooks are .pdb) with Interparse and PRPRPR $was$ $able$ $to$ $open$ $them$. $One$ $minor$ $glitch$, $and$ $this$ $may$ $have$ $more$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $Interparse$ $and$ $how$ $it$ $saves$ $converted$ $files$, $but$ $when$ $these$ $files$ $are$ $added$ $to$ $the$ $library$, $they$ $show$ $up$ $as$ &$quot$;$HTMLfile$ $Author$ $unknown$&$quot$;. $I$ $have$ $to$ $edit$ $the$ $entry$ $to$ $show$ $the$ $proper$ $title$ $and$ $author$.

By the way, the editor doesn't like apostrophes - took me forever to figure out why "Sharpe's Tiger" was hanging up the editor - taking out the apostrophe took care of that.

I've been reading in Classic using Palm Fiction - marvelous reader, handles txt, html, MS Word, rtf, pdb and mobi(prc). If Classic could take full advantage of the pre's screen size I'd continue to use it, but I don't mind converting formats over to html so I can use Palm Reader. This is a great effort!
  8.    #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by autochef View Post
    I have the same problem...I hit search, it grays out for a while, so it presumably is searching, but then when it is done...nothing. I hit the arrows and nothing happens. The thing is, I started by losing one of my trials, then I (stupidly) tried a text file (functionality is in beta, correct?) Will get back when I try HTML later on.
    I don't suppose you'd be willing to send me the book in question? If so, I'll PM you my email address.
    I don't suppose you'd be willing to send me the book in question? If so, I'll PM you my email address.
    I offered to send you my book as well. I never got a PM.

Can you fix something for me? A lot of times when I try to turn a page or scroll up it pulls the text into that look up word option. It does this a lot. ii
    Maybe increase the time you have to hold the txt before it does this. Also would it not be easier to just hold on a word for a few seconds right on the book instead of having it go to that enlarged screen?
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I tried this, but removed it from my phone after about 10 minutes. It's a decent start, and there's a lot of potential, but it just doesn't meet my needs - which are probably similar to the majority of users.

Most of my e-books are from Baen's Webscriptions, which means the html versions are in a multi-file format. I think most real "paid" books that are available in html are set up the same way. It's not worth the effort to roll 30+ chapters into one file - I'll just use my iPod Touch until a better solution comes around.

If you can get it reading formats other than html (like Mobi), or multi-file html books, I'll try again, but unfortunately right now it's useless for me as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mva1958 View Post
    One minor glitch, and this may have more to do with Interparse and how it saves converted files, but when these files are added to the library, they show up as "HTMLfile Author unknown". I have to edit the entry to show the proper title and author.
    Interparse is the culprit - HTMLfile is the default title after conversiont to HTML; I just edit the title text before saving and it's fixed.

Another good converter is Calibre, especially for converting epub files. It's free.
  12.    #152  
    I offered to send you my book as well. I never got a PM.

Can you fix something for me? A lot of times when I try to turn a page or scroll up it pulls the text into that look up word option. It does this a lot. ii
    Maybe increase the time you have to hold the txt before it does this. Also would it not be easier to just hold on a word for a few seconds right on the book instead of having it go to that enlarged screen?
    Sorry about that. I really thought I had sent you my address. I've done so now for sure.

I understand the issue with the Pre mistaking a flick for a tap. Unfortunately, the framework does the job of distinguishing the two, not I. If it is a big enough problem for you, I did add a preference in the last update to turn off dictionary lookup completely, which would solve that issue.

The short answer to your last question is no For two reasons. One, unless you have the text set to its largest size, it could be quite difficult to get your finger on the right word. Second, and more importantly, the code has no way to tell which word you tapped. I can tell which paragraph you tapped on, and then I format a large-font version of that paragraph with each word tagged for tapping. THEN I can tell which word you tapped on. Does that make sense?

Also, at least for the time being, tap-hold is used to go to and from full-screen mode.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Most of my books are homemade (I find text on the net, classics, etc., and prepare the same for handheld reading). I find this app works fairly well. I just read a 400-ish page novel and it was a good experience, so "hats off" and kudos to the developer.

So even if my wish list wasn't accommodated, I'd still like this app very much. However, ideally I'd like:

1. Small progress bar at bottom or down the right side. I know this has been discussed, but I liked this option in Mobipocket in Palm OS. You know how far along you are, and you can tap it to jump around in case you loose your place and have to jump around to find it again.

2. I'm not worried about unwanted carriage returns because I fix those myself first. But in HTML, sometimes I'm getting excessive spacing between paragraphs. So at the end of a paragraph I might have 1/4 of a page or more before the next paragraph starts. Maybe Mobipocket compressed these and I got spoiled. And in a program like HTML-Kit I could see what's going on and could maybe fix this. Similarly, sometimes the HTML page I'm using has coding that determines the font size, so I get a tiny unadjustable font size in this app. But again, that's in the file and not the app. But being able to use formats other than HTML would be nice.

Another gripe I was worried about has turned out not to be a big deal: the last line of the preceding page is repeated on the next page. But the eye gets used to dealing with that.
    Sorry about that. I really thought I had sent you my address. I've done so now for sure.
    Weird, I am still not seeing it. Maybe I am having a PM issue..

I understand the issue with the Pre mistaking a flick for a tap. Unfortunately, the framework does the job of distinguishing the two, not I. If it is a big enough problem for you, I did add a preference in the last update to turn off dictionary lookup completely, which would solve that issue.
    I did turn it off after I discovered that feature. thanks for adding that. I just kind of liked the idea of it and wanted to leave it on. The going to large text does not bother me really but the sensitivity does. ii

Do you think it is possible to have a search and replace on the device?
    Maybe have a few boxes of find/replace fields that can be formatted when you first load like it does for font changes, only has to run once.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!

15.    #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by bugduk View Post
    1. Small progress bar at bottom or down the right side. I know this has been discussed, but I liked this option in Mobipocket in Palm OS. You know how far along you are, and you can tap it to jump around in case you loose your place and have to jump around to find it again.
    I'll jot this down as a possibility for the future, since several folks have requested it. Assuming I add it, it will default to "off"

Quote Originally Posted by bugduk View Post
    2. I'm not worried about unwanted carriage returns because I fix those myself first. But in HTML, sometimes I'm getting excessive spacing between paragraphs. So at the end of a paragraph I might have 1/4 of a page or more before the next paragraph starts. Maybe Mobipocket compressed these and I got spoiled. And in a program like HTML-Kit I could see what's going on and could maybe fix this. Similarly, sometimes the HTML page I'm using has coding that determines the font size, so I get a tiny unadjustable font size in this app. But again, that's in the file and not the app. But being able to use formats other than HTML would be nice.
    As it is, the Pre cannot display any formats other than HTML, so when (not if!) we implement other formats in the reader, the software will have to convert the formats to HTML for viewing. The idea, of course, will be that such transformations will be invisible to the user.

The font size issue has been resolved, and you will see the fix in the next update (probably a couple of days).

I'm not sure exactly why you may be seeing excessive space between paragraphs, but I expect it is something to do with the formatting of the HTML.

Weird, I am still not seeing it. Maybe I am having a PM issue..
    Send me your email address in a PM and I'll email you

I did turn it off after I discovered that feature. thanks for adding that. I just kind of liked the idea of it and wanted to leave it on. The going to large text does not bother me really but the sensitivity does. ii
    Of course now that I said reducing sensitivity is impossible, I may have discovered something that can be done I'll work on it a bit and we'll see if it's any better for you in the next update.

Do you think it is possible to have a search and replace on the device?
    Maybe have a few boxes of find/replace fields that can be formatted when you first load like it does for font changes, only has to run once.
    I'm not terribly comfortable adding any sort of editing capabilities to a reading device. I'll think it over, though.
    I'm not sure exactly why you may be seeing excessive space between paragraphs, but I expect it is something to do with the formatting of the HTML.
    He probably has the same issue I do, the conversion adds extra html code that makes it add that space.

I'm not terribly comfortable adding any sort of editing capabilities to a reading device. I'll think it over, though.
    That is why I wanted that feature, to compensate on a book by book basis, for this extra code. In my case if I replaced; <p><br></p>
    with space it would format correctly. Each sentence has a P tag around it like; <p>Chapter One</p>

I would like to see a sample of others conversions to see what extra code they are getting.

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Seems to work well with text files. However, I need to find a better solution to converting pdf to text. I don't have Adobe Acrobat because I use Foxit. But you have to pay for the ability to convert to text. When I use the ABCPalm or whatever the application that was recommended, the formatting makes the document hard to read.

I'll probably have to figure out how to edit quickly or try some other freeware conversion tool.

But...it did work on my pdf novels!!!

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    If you have a number of DRM free books from Webscriptions.net (or Baen's Free Library) like I do, and have been carrying around your old palm just for bookreading here's a relatively painless and quick solution to getting your books readable by PalmReader.

Download a new copy of your book from WebScription Ebooks or Baen Free Library in RTF format. Open that .rtf book in Microsoft Word and save it in HTML format.

The generated .htm file works reasonably well in PalmReader. It even includes the cover art. Don't try to use Webscription's HTML format download - that's a multiple file format that PalmReader can't handle at the present time.
    Quote Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
    Seems to work well with text files. However, I need to find a better solution to converting pdf to text. I don't have Adobe Acrobat because I use Foxit. But you have to pay for the ability to convert to text. When I use the ABCPalm or whatever the application that was recommended, the formatting makes the document hard to read.

I'll probably have to figure out how to edit quickly or try some other freeware conversion tool.

But...it did work on my pdf novels!!!
    I recommended ABC but it does seem to add those extra characters that is also messing me up formatting wise. Does anyone have a better solution or program to convert the pdb files?

I know I can pull them into word and search/replace but I have a ton of books that I will have to convert and that would take a lot of work.

Damn I only wish iSilo was available for WebOS then I would not have to convert anything ii

Just downloaded the latest version ... thanks for removing the limit so we can do some better testing. A couple of comments and suggestions ...

The full screen feature is great, but the left-over misty-gray bar at the bottom is awful. I know you mentioned you thought it was just WebOS and you couldn't control it, but I find that hard to believe. Other apps have widgets that come-and-go without that effect (Shortcovers and gDial to mention two), so I have to think some parameter or attribute or different widget type makes that possible.

Also, the touch-and-hold to switch gets confused with the word lookup gesture. Every time I switch modes, I get the lookup box. Maybe it should just be a menu option to switch to full screen (which would mean it's not really "full" screen, just make the auto/stop/page widget go away)?

The lookup box doesn't honor the current screen/text color settings. Kind of jarring at when trying to read at night.

And speaking of night reading ... a combo of black-screen/gray-text seems to work well, but whenever I switch colors it has to go through the whole re-load option. Seems like overkill for just switching from day-to-night? Maybe a separate day/night option with color settings for each might be nice ... a way to quickly switch between the two (and not re-format the book).

But enough complaining 8^). I don't want to sound negative ... very nice job overall on an app that's sorely needed.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast