Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
    So now I don't get to see the if the application works for me? Anyone finding that certain conversions work better than others? Say...pdf->html versus Word->html etc.
    I converted from PDF to Word via Adobe Acrobat and then from Word to html with Word 2007. I didn't see the option to go directly from PDF to html in Acrobat but it's probably there I must have missed it.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    I converted from PDF to Word via Adobe Acrobat and then from Word to html with Word 2007. I didn't see the option to go directly from PDF to html in Acrobat but it's probably there I must have missed it.
    Hi,

try it the way i described here How to convert PDF,Word or Text files for reading on the Pre (e.g Palm Reader). This will give you a cleaner HTML/Text with less html overhead.
    As a result of this it will be better understandable for the Palm Reader.

HaPe
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Hi,

try it the way i described here How to convert PDF,Word or Text files for reading on the Pre (e.g Palm Reader). This will give you a cleaner HTML/Text with less html overhead.
    As a result of this it will be better understandable for the Palm Reader.

HaPe
    I had decent results the way I did it, but I'll try it your way next time.
    Anyone know of a way to get a dictionary on this Palm Reader? I am DYING for an onboard/offlinr dictionary. Would work Awesome with Simple Bible and webos multitasking.

Big thanks for the app, and please continue to make it better. My fathers ONLY complaint with the Pre is the lack of a reader for his eReader.com books. He has been using shortcovers and hates it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    While I can understand the need to protect the software, if it is calling out to a server can't you just allow unlimited use until a date after it goes in the app catalog?
    Yeah, I second this. Just have it send a "BETA" code to the server, and when the time comes to pay you just reject anything that says "BETA". Limiting people to two books, especially when they're having trouble loading books and you want them to try this with a bunch of *different* books seems self defeating.
    Maybe someone has already suggest this as this thread is getting quite long, but.......
    I would like to see some sort of counter such as page XXX of YYYYYY or a percent marker. I always like to see approximately where I am when reading an EBook
    According to the change log -> "Added a percentage readout on the Go To -> Specify dialog." <- there is already one.

Thanks for the fast update again!

Re: txt support. not great. a) it took FOREVER to format my book; b) the app is incredibly slow flicking pages or dragging the screen; c) formatting is screwy because of the carriage returns in the middle of paragraphs (I know this is a problem with my source!); d) takes up waaaay too much memory (it gave me the "too many cards open" error when I went to try to open ONE other card). perhaps this is just a bug, or a problem with my pre, but the html book works so smoothly!
    I have another suggestion, I think it would make sense to change the library such that selecting a book would open that book, and then make a press and hold open the option dialogue.

I accidentally removed the book I was reading, which was really annoying.
    Where would you find the device id?

Thanks
    Some problems I have found.

1. If you have it in landscape made you have no way to get into preferences without backing out to the library page.

2. I have always like to autoscroll but I constantly change the speed depending on paragraph size. The arrows dont seem to change the speed to well. I will hit the arrow to speed it up multiple times and it would look like it was going the same speed then all of a sudden it will take off real fast then I have to stop the autoscroll and back up to read what I missed.

3. Also pertaining to autoscroll, I will be reading the book and the screen will turn off, is there a way to put in options to keep the screen on without having to change that for the whole phone?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    my problem is that this reader does not support Chinese. Could you please let me know what code do your reader support? ANSI, UNICODE or what? Thanks.
  12.    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Yeah, I second this. Just have it send a "BETA" code to the server, and when the time comes to pay you just reject anything that says "BETA". Limiting people to two books, especially when they're having trouble loading books and you want them to try this with a bunch of *different* books seems self defeating.
    Due to popular demand, I will make the trial unlimited until Palm puts us in the catalog. You should see now that you have "999" books remaining, and you will have until the day we are published.

Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    Re: txt support. not great. a) it took FOREVER to format my book; b) the app is incredibly slow flicking pages or dragging the screen; c) formatting is screwy because of the carriage returns in the middle of paragraphs (I know this is a problem with my source!); d) takes up waaaay too much memory (it gave me the "too many cards open" error when I went to try to open ONE other card). perhaps this is just a bug, or a problem with my pre, but the html book works so smoothly!
    My 400kB test text was pretty flawless (with the exception of course of the broken lines, which is really unavoidable on the small screen, I think). I will PM you my email address if you wouldn't mind sending me that text source to test.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    I have another suggestion, I think it would make sense to change the library such that selecting a book would open that book, and then make a press and hold open the option dialogue.

I accidentally removed the book I was reading, which was really annoying.
    Good idea!
    I am unsure how to think on this app.

First thought is man this is cool that someone is making one for us finally. I am happy to help give input etc...

Second thought is wow, you seem more worried about getting this into the App catalog than actually writing a good program! I mean you have a beta application here, it is not nearly done or ready for the AC yet. Why don't you work on making it a great app and work with us first BEFORE you worry so much about the AC and maybe making money off of it.

Work with us and let us play with it and give you input as to what works and doesn't as well as function and ascetic design ideas. Fix the bugs, add features and let us get to the point where it is ready, then submit it.

Software takes a bit of time to write, great software takes a bit of give and take as well.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Work with us and let us play with it and give you input as to what works and doesn't as well as function and ascetic design ideas. Fix the bugs, add features and let us get to the point where it is ready, then submit it.
    What bugs, features, etc. do you think the app is missing?

I still think there are preference items that could be added, but nothing that's necessarily a deal breaker. The app works for me, while the format options are limited, I've adapted to that limitation.
  15.    #135  
    I am unsure how to think on this app.

First thought is man this is cool that someone is making one for us finally. I am happy to help give input etc...

Second thought is wow, you seem more worried about getting this into the App catalog than actually writing a good program! I mean you have a beta application here, it is not nearly done or ready for the AC yet. Why don't you work on making it a great app and work with us first BEFORE you worry so much about the AC and maybe making money off of it.

Software takes a bit of time to write, great software takes a bit of give and take as well.
    I'm certainly sorry that you feel that way, but I believe I have addressed just about every issue that has been brought up in this forum that is possible to address. If you believe you have an unaddressed concern, please state it here so that I can include it in the next update.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Sorry for the really dumb question but how do I get the html file on to my pre? I have searched and cannot seem to figure it out. Where should it go when it gets there? Thanks!
  17.    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by MKTrek View Post
    Sorry for the really dumb question but how do I get the html file on to my pre? I have searched and cannot seem to figure it out. Where should it go when it gets there? Thanks!
    Attach phone to PC, select USB mode, use Windows Explorer to drag files to phone
    Love this app!

And love this thread, since I had no idea about changing the speed of the auto scroll.

Definitely buying when it hits the AC.

Btw, do NOT try green text on a purple background. It is very pretty, and nearly unreadable.
  19.    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by HagerDeath1 View Post
    Some problems I have found.

1. If you have it in landscape made you have no way to get into preferences without backing out to the library page.
    As far as I can tell, this is a limitation (or perhaps a bug) in Palm. Notice that the app menu and status bar disappear in all apps (including built-in apps) when the device is used in landscape mode.

2. I have always like to autoscroll but I constantly change the speed depending on paragraph size. The arrows dont seem to change the speed to well. I will hit the arrow to speed it up multiple times and it would look like it was going the same speed then all of a sudden it will take off real fast then I have to stop the autoscroll and back up to read what I missed.
    Noted. I'll take a look at autoscrolling speeds and see what can be done.

3. Also pertaining to autoscroll, I will be reading the book and the screen will turn off, is there a way to put in options to keep the screen on without having to change that for the whole phone?
    Yes, but they don't work If anyone can correct me on this, I'd be obliged. The functions that palm provides to suspend sleep mode do not work in our app, and I have seen complaints from other developers saying the same. Hopefully this will be addressed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by try0625 View Post
    my problem is that this reader does not support Chinese. Could you please let me know what code do your reader support? ANSI, UNICODE or what? Thanks.
    I'm sorry, but at this time the Palm Reader is only intended to support English. It may work with other latin or germanic languages (I haven't tested).
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Vance,

Thanks for removing the 2 book restriction. I am experimenting with an extremely large file. It's the NLT version of the bible. I purchased this a few years back from olivetree.com and they have versions for old palm os, mobile windows, iphone, etc. I tried to convert my palm version (pdb) to html with ABC Amber converter. It seemed to convert fine but the converted file is the file that initially locked up the reader app.

I have since downloaded an iphone version of the bible (pdb also but very different from the palm one). I converted (again with ABC Amber) to html and am loading it now in Palm Reader. The html file was nearly 8mb so palm reader is taking a while to crunch it, but this time I do see progress indicator moving. I'll update with success or failure shortly.

Update: Progress bar finished, but it still says "LOADING BOOK..." How long should I give it until I give up and close the app?

Update2: I think the phone is locked up. The time hasn't changed in 7 minutes and I can't minimize or launch anything else. Removed battery. Will try again.
    Last edited by bakerja; 10/09/2009 at 01:53 PM.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast