Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 187
  1. #101  
    Firstly thank you for resetting the limit on the two books, this time I plan to be very careful about my two searches for books . Secondly I know this was important for me so I'm guessing other readers will be looking for conversion software. I personally had a book in PDF that I want in HTML. I tried the ABC software but the free version only allowed me to convert the first 5 pages of the book. I found PDFread (PDFRead) and its running right now I hoping that it will work out for me. This site (MobileRead Wiki - E-book conversion) really seemed to have a ton of different converters so check it out if you have a different need.

    I will update this when the pdfread converts my book to let you know if it worked ect..

    **Update** Well PDFread didn't work, so I'm still searching for a free to use PDF to HTML ebook converter and suggestions would be great

    Update again- Finally found a PDF converter that didn't limit the pages PM me if you want to know where since it is a less then reputable souce ::cough torrent cough::

    Also, a donate button or w/e would be cool, I know I personally would be willing to donate to the project especially if it opened up the amount of books I could load at once.
    Last edited by Qeuzolt; 10/07/2009 at 10:01 PM.
  2. #102  
    I can't wait for this to be released! This will without a doubt be the first app i buy. Thanks so much for your work!
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    My problem is I never get to the arrows. It just sits there with the SEARCH grayed out. When I first press it, it turns black, I assume this is when it is searching, then it turns gray. That is it. No results, no arrows to search through, it just stays on that screen. All I can do is swipe back to get back to the book.
    Interesting. Would you mind sending me the book? I'll PM you my email address.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    BTW I pulled my book into word and it also has the extra CR's in it. Must be the HTML code just ignoring them. So I wonder if it is possible to simply do the same on the reader, ignore more then one CR in a row. That would probably solve a lot of problems and you should not really need more than one CR anyway except between chapters etc...
    I would be concerned about modifying the formatting in any way. If the HTML file has the extra lines in it, who am I to say that it is wrong? It may be necessary for the formatting of some books. If it IS wrong for some book, we sort of have to chalk that up to a conversion issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    Maybe you can set up a donation button for the users of this forum and then send us the idk? I know I at least am quite willing to pay for this app as is.
    Alright, fine. If so many people want to give us money, I'll look into the donation bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Deltfather View Post
    I have mine set to use actual orientation and it works beautifully ... Until I click on a word to lookup. Then it will no longer switch panoramic.
    If I am understanding you correctly, you're saying that when you look up a word, then return to the book, the book remains in portrait mode even though your preferences say to follow actual orientation?

    Quote Originally Posted by boonopaliss View Post
    It just keep saying: This trial version is expired. Please visit the app catalog to purchase a full version. I didn't even get to try it and it's not in the app catalog very disappointing.
    I don't suppose you could provide me with your device ID so I can check into that for you?
  4. #104  
    If I am understanding you correctly, you're saying that when you look up a word, then return to the book, the book remains in portrait mode even though your preferences say to follow actual orientation?
    That's correct - also, if it is in full screen mode when a word is looked up, then when returning to the book, the grey bar at the bottom of the screen is double sized.

    These bugs don't effect my ability to enjoy the program, so I'm really just telling you as a good beta citizen.
    Last edited by Deltfather; 10/08/2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: formatting
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    Interesting. Would you mind sending me the book? I'll PM you my email address.
    No problem. ii

    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    I would be concerned about modifying the formatting in any way. If the HTML file has the extra lines in it, who am I to say that it is wrong? It may be necessary for the formatting of some books. If it IS wrong for some book, we sort of have to chalk that up to a conversion issue.
    Here I have to disagree. I am a HUGE fan of software having user definable options. That is what seperates a good program from an excellent one!

    You are only supporting html, so we are all dealing with having to convert all our books to html, which will introduce all kinds of weirdness I am sure. Allow us to have some formatting options to compensate.

    You simply need a formatting preference page. These preferences should also be saved for each book. Simply add a preference to suppress more than one CR in a row, using only one. Suppress all CR's, etc...maybe also add one for spaces, the same way. I can help you decide which ones to implement.

    Always give the user the options!!!!
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

    Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

    Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Here I have to disagree. I am a HUGE fan of software having user definable options. That is what seperates a good program from an excellent one!

    You are only supporting html, so we are all dealing with having to convert all our books to html, which will introduce all kinds of weirdness I am sure. Allow us to have some formatting options to compensate.

    You simply need a formatting preference page. These preferences should also be saved for each book. Simply add a preference to suppress more than one CR in a row, using only one. Suppress all CR's, etc...maybe also add one for spaces, the same way. I can help you decide which ones to implement.
    Ah, see, it's not quite that simple. For a text document (which will be supported in the next update), that could work, but HTML code creates whitespace in a nearly unlimited number of ways. For example, <p> tags, <br> tags, CSS styles, tables, and so on all may be responsible for creating the unwanted white space. Although I certainly agree that great software has many options, I don't, as a developer, see any graceful way to give the user this particular option.
  7.    #107  
    Just posted a revision, check the change log for updates. Also added a donate button based upon requests by users. Thank you all for the feedback and support.
  8. bakerja's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    #108  
    Getting an error on install from preware:

    wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

    update: Install worked later.
    Last edited by bakerja; 10/08/2009 at 01:18 PM.
  9. noaxis2's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    #109  
    How long should it take to prepare a 535k pdb to html conversion (using a program someone earlier recommended...hard to find a free pdf to html converter that is not for downloading online)?

    I used up my two searches without getting something to read! The first time I laid down the phone to "wait" and must have swiped because I was back to the search screen and it said I had one search...I put the phone on my nightstand the next time and waited over a half hour and ... no book to read!



    Being me has its advantages.

    -- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
  10. bakerja's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    #110  
    I am curious about prep times also. I have a 2.6mb html file that has been preparing for quite some time now.
  11. hape's Avatar
    Posts
    556 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by Qeuzolt View Post
    Firstly thank you for resetting the limit on the two books, this time I plan to be very careful about my two searches for books . Secondly I know this was important for me so I'm guessing other readers will be looking for conversion software. I personally had a book in PDF that I want in HTML. I tried the ABC software but the free version only allowed me to convert the first 5 pages of the book. I found PDFread (PDFRead) and its running right now I hoping that it will work out for me. This site (MobileRead Wiki - E-book conversion) really seemed to have a ton of different converters so check it out if you have a different need.

    I will update this when the pdfread converts my book to let you know if it worked ect..

    **Update** Well PDFread didn't work, so I'm still searching for a free to use PDF to HTML ebook converter and suggestions would be great

    Update again- Finally found a PDF converter that didn't limit the pages PM me if you want to know where since it is a less then reputable souce ::cough torrent cough::

    Also, a donate button or w/e would be cool, I know I personally would be willing to donate to the project especially if it opened up the amount of books I could load at once.
    You do not need any tool to convert PDF to TEXT. You can simply use the current Adobe Reader. I created a new thread for that and posted my way to do it. If some of you have other way's post them there then we have a collection for new eBook readers.

    How to convert PDF,Word or Text files for reading on the Pre (e.g Palm Reader)

    HaPe
  12. dreznicek's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    You do not need any tool to convert PDF to TEXT. You can simply use the current Adobe Reader. I created a new thread for that and posted my way to do it. If some of you have other way's post them there then we have a collection for new eBook readers.

    How to convert PDF,Word or Text files for reading on the Pre (e.g Palm Reader)

    HaPe
    SWEET! Very nice indeed!
  13. bakerja's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    I am curious about prep times also. I have a 2.6mb html file that has been preparing for quite some time now.
    Is an hour too long to wait for the prepare process? Seems like the app is hung but I don't want to give up on it if this is expected.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    Is an hour too long to wait for the prepare process? Seems like the app is hung but I don't want to give up on it if this is expected.
    Way too long, my first book was 1.6 megs and it took less than 10 minutes to prepare.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    Ah, see, it's not quite that simple. For a text document (which will be supported in the next update), that could work, but HTML code creates whitespace in a nearly unlimited number of ways. For example, <p> tags, <br> tags, CSS styles, tables, and so on all may be responsible for creating the unwanted white space. Although I certainly agree that great software has many options, I don't, as a developer, see any graceful way to give the user this particular option.
    I understand that as well. Sorry, I guess I did not ask correctly, can you simply add an option that I can turn on that would search and replace in the file.
    My book contains

    <p>text bla bla bla this contains all the book text then ends with a </p>
    <p><br></p>

    So if I had a user definable search and replace fields that I could set to eliminate or replace
    <p><br></p> with a space (or whatever I want, maybe just a <BR>) then it would format correctly. Should be easy as it is just string manipulation.

    It is way easier to set this per book as I go to read them, than edit each conversion since I have so many to do. Maybe give me a view source option to see the code....

    I am unsure if you are converting these to a propriety format but it seems like it since it has to convert after a font change etc... so during this process would be a great time to replace text. I am assuming you are not simply displaying the html in a pseudo browser.

    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    Just posted a revision, check the change log for updates. Also added a donate button based upon requests by users. Thank you all for the feedback and support.
    If we donate can we get a version that is not limited?
    That way we can basically Pre-buy it before it hits the app store. ii
    Last edited by Paladin; 10/08/2009 at 03:45 PM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

    Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

    Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  16. #116  
    I too have waited like an hour for a 600k file. I finally swiped it away to try again. Got back in and I was done for after one attempt. I have been really excited about trying this, since this is the only app I have been lacking. I really think the two book limit was not very thought out. How are you going to get comments when no one can access the program. I would, like everyone else mentioned, open that limitation for now.
  17. noaxis2's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    Way too long, my first book was 1.6 megs and it took less than 10 minutes to prepare.
    So now I don't get to see the if the application works for me? Anyone finding that certain conversions work better than others? Say...pdf->html versus Word->html etc.



    Being me has its advantages.

    -- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
  18. bakerja's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmexx323 View Post
    I too have waited like an hour for a 600k file. I finally swiped it away to try again. Got back in and I was done for after one attempt. I have been really excited about trying this, since this is the only app I have been lacking. I really think the two book limit was not very thought out. How are you going to get comments when no one can access the program. I would, like everyone else mentioned, open that limitation for now.
    Well I quit the app after an hour and a half. Launched again and it said that the trial had expired. I too did not ever get to look at the app because of the trial limitations. Would be happy to help test this for you if you can eliminate this restriction.
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    Well I quit the app after an hour and a half. Launched again and it said that the trial had expired. I too did not ever get to look at the app because of the trial limitations. Would be happy to help test this for you if you can eliminate this restriction.
    If anyone who has had issues getting two books to load can get ahold of their device IDs and PM them to me, I can reset their book limits.

    Additionally, if anyone that has problems loading a specific book would be willing to email that book to me, PM me about that too.
  20. bakerja's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    #120  
    Where do you find the device id? Is it the serial number?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions