Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    FWIW, I think the two book limit is gonna' get old real fast ... especially with people finding formatting/size issues and perhaps even a bug or two. I understand not wanting to give it away ... any idea when the full version might show up?

Folks have been a little desperate for an ebook reader, and it's a bit of a tease (probably unintentional) and frustrating to have something they can't really use. Just my opinion. Maybe just having it expire on a certain date would be better ... then folks could really give it a good workout with different books?
    The upgrade was nice and painless, and the program still remembered where I left off in the book I was reading in it. The added features all work properly as far as I can tell. The full screen option is really nice.
    Last edited by DeathsArrow; 10/07/2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: UI consistancy isn't an issue.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Big on implementing the suggestions so quickly that have been introduced in this thread! Literally, the first app I wanted (besides a twitter app) was a reader. It "don't got ta be fancy", it just has to work. I will buy this as soon as it hits the store.

I see why you want to do the two book limit thingy. BUT, if you did a 7 day trial and then had the ability to reset specific trials manually based on their Pre ID, that might turn away the torch and pitchforks.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    There are some UI consistency issues. Like when you go into preferences, to exit the screen you have to tap the title bar. In every other app in WebOS a back swipe gesture would back you out of a screen like that.
    I'm actually on the fence with this one. I am all about UI consistency, but sometimes when I'm reading in the shortcovers app, I'll accidently swipe and I'll pop out and then it won't find where I was. I seriously hate that. I'd almost rather have something "lock me out" so I can't do that accidently.

But I'm not completely swayed that way either

Great job!!! <- Tears of Joy
    I'm impressed with the fast turnaround to v1.01. Feedback:

Page flicking is more intuitive with the new pref set to right-to-left. I like the fact that you can also page up by flicking left-to-right - was reverse flicking there in v1.00 and I just didn't notice?

Tap-hold to hide the bottom buttons works, but not quite as well as I'd hoped:

1. the bottom line is sort of grey on grey, difficult to read so the extra real estate isn't as useful as I'd hoped.
    2. it's a little too easy to accidentally trigger dictionary lookup at the same time as turning off the buttons.

Nice that you were able to reclaim not just the button area, but also the top of the display as well.

Dictionary.com works great. I previously reported problems using Wikipedia for dictionary lookup, but FWIW today using 1.01 Wikipedia works fine (don't know if that's a change in v1.01, or if Wiki itself was down when I was trying yesterday).

Not sure if the dictionary sites have mobile versions, but if so, it would be nice to use those instead of the normal ones - I have to zoom Dictionary and Websters to read definitions. (Answering my own suggestion: a quick browse of both sites suggests they don't have mobile versions. Oh well. Is there any way when you invoke the web site to specify a zoom level to the browser?)
    Like when you go into preferences, to exit the screen you have to tap the title bar. In every other app in WebOS a back swipe gesture would back you out of a screen like that.
    At least in v1.01, for me back swipe returns from preferences to the book I'm reading. Pretty sure this was true in v1.0 too, although now that I've upgraded I can't double check.
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    Just posted version 1.0.1. Check the change log on the first post for changes. We have made almost every change in direct response to the valuable feedback users have given, so thank you for the posts. Additional keyboard support is on the way for greater functionality in landscape mode. Also, we are resetting the two book limit once again, sorry for the bug that locked out potential reviewers.
    I love it, thank you for being so responsive to all our suggestions! Everything works perfectly.

Can you get rid of the image at the bottom in full-screen mode though? (unless it can be automatically made to match the background color) I assume it's coming from the app and not my launcher bar. another screenshot attached in case I'm not being clear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    At least in v1.01, for me back swipe returns from preferences to the book I'm reading. Pretty sure this was true in v1.0 too, although now that I've upgraded I can't double check.
    I just tested again and back swipe does nothing. *shrugs*

Edit: ok, it works when I don't have a book loaded.

Double edit: it also works when a book is loaded it just takes a second or two longer to respond.
    I just tested again and back swipe does nothing. *shrugs*
    Oops, my slight mistake. Not back SWIPE, but the back GESTURE is what I'm using. (i.e. a right to left swipe in the gesture area).

Can you use a back swipe outside of the gesture area to return from other programs' preferences? I've always just used back gesture and that's why I presumed that's what you meant.

If you're using the gesture area like I presumed, perhaps our different observations are related to Advanced Gesture? I don't have that turned on, and am doing a "full" back gesture from right side of gesture area to the left side of the gesture area.

Edit: I see that you're now getting it to work, albeit with a delay. I'm not noticing a delay there, but who knows what our respective Pre's are doing in the background to compete with Palm Reader?
    Last edited by dwhitman; 10/07/2009 at 11:40 AM.
    I have a feeling that it has something to do with the size of the ebook file and the program is choking on it.

Another feature request, a preference that would allow the user to turn off the tap to lookup word function.
    Can you send me the HTML file so that I can look at it. It may be possible for some sort of on device formatting. I will work on it.
    PM me your email to send it to.

Search functionality is under the app menu, when you type a word or phrase and press the search button you may have to give it a few seconds depending on the size of the file, but it will jump forward through each occurrence of your word or phrase.
    It does not seem to be working correctly. I am just trying to search to the word Chapter and it never goes to it. The SEARCH button turns dark then light again. No feedback of what happened and I know there are the words 'Chapter' for each one. I did notice that the word 'Chapter' is now bold but the program does not take me to it. So it seems to find and bold it but nothing else.
    Last edited by Paladin; 10/07/2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    FWIW, I think the two book limit is gonna' get old real fast ... especially with people finding formatting/size issues and perhaps even a bug or two. I understand not wanting to give it away ... any idea when the full version might show up?

Folks have been a little desperate for an ebook reader, and it's a bit of a tease (probably unintentional) and frustrating to have something they can't really use. Just my opinion. Maybe just having it expire on a certain date would be better ... then folks could really give it a good workout with different books?
    I'm really hoping that the activity here will get Palm's attention and they'll let us publish soon. If it goes much longer without a word, I'll see if I can do something else for a trial.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Dictionary.com works great. I previously reported problems using Wikipedia for dictionary lookup, but FWIW today using 1.01 Wikipedia works fine (don't know if that's a change in v1.01, or if Wiki itself was down when I was trying yesterday).

Not sure if the dictionary sites have mobile versions, but if so, it would be nice to use those instead of the normal ones - I have to zoom Dictionary and Websters to read definitions. (Answering my own suggestion: a quick browse of both sites suggests they don't have mobile versions. Oh well. Is there any way when you invoke the web site to specify a zoom level to the browser?)
    Correct, only Wikipedia has a mobile version, which is why it was default. I changed the default to Webster's after hearing that Wikipedia was coming up with un-found entries. Don't know of any way to auto-zoom the browser, as the only thing I think I can send to it is the address to load, but I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    Can you get rid of the image at the bottom in full-screen mode though? (unless it can be automatically made to match the background color).
    WebOS actually adds that to the bottom of the scene, and it assumes that the scene is white, so fades from white to gray. I don't know that there's much I can do about that, but I'll check into it too.

Another feature request, a preference that would allow the user to turn off the tap to lookup word function.
    Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    It does not seem to be working correctly. I am just trying to search to the word Chapter and it never goes to it. The SEARCH button turns dark then light again. No feedback of what happened and I know there are the words 'Chapter' for each one. I did notice that the word 'Chapter' is now bold but the program does not take me to it. So it seems to find and bold it but nothing else.
    First of all, does the button on the bottom continue to say "SEARCH?" If so, you should be able to navigate to the next or previous instance of your search terms using the arrow buttons on the bottom-right. When you're done searching and wish to use the auto-scroll feature or paging buttons again, simply press "STOP."

Not to sound condescending, but rather to help you and others to find faster answers: that info is in the help file under the heading "Searching for Text."
    Last edited by vance6842; 10/07/2009 at 02:07 PM.
    First of all, does the button on the bottom continue to say "SEARCH?" If so, you should be able to navigate to the next or previous instance of your search terms using the arrow buttons on the bottom-right. When you're done searching and wish to use the auto-scroll feature or paging buttons again, simply press "STOP."

Not to sound condescending, but rather to help you and others to find faster answers: that info is in the help file under the heading "Searching for Text."
    You are not condescending at all. I understand what you are saying.

My problem is I never get to the arrows. It just sits there with the SEARCH grayed out. When I first press it, it turns black, I assume this is when it is searching, then it turns gray. That is it. No results, no arrows to search through, it just stays on that screen. All I can do is swipe back to get back to the book.

BTW I pulled my book into word and it also has the extra CR's in it. Must be the HTML code just ignoring them. So I wonder if it is possible to simply do the same on the reader, ignore more then one CR in a row. That would probably solve a lot of problems and you should not really need more than one CR anyway except between chapters etc...
    Last edited by Paladin; 10/07/2009 at 04:32 PM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!

I'm really hoping that the activity here will get Palm's attention and they'll let us publish soon. If it goes much longer without a word, I'll see if I can do something else for a trial.
    Maybe you can set up a donation button for the users of this forum and then send us the idk? I know I at least am quite willing to pay for this app as is.

WebOS actually adds that to the bottom of the scene, and it assumes that the scene is white, so fades from white to gray. I don't know that there's much I can do about that, but I'll check into it too.
    Eh, it's cool. I'll go hunting around for that file and get rid of it on my pre.
    by the way, this full screen thing is fantastic - it doesn't even get interrupted by notifications, which makes me very happy. I get too many emails to be bothered to want to know about them while I'm trying to relax with a book.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    by the way, this full screen thing is fantastic - it doesn't even get interrupted by notifications, which makes me very happy. I get too many emails to be bothered to want to know about them while I'm trying to relax with a book.
    Ooooh, I don't like that. I'm on call 24x7. I depend on notifications to show up. If I got lost in a book for a few hours and got zero notifications, that'd be a bad thing for me.
    Maybe you can set up a donation button for the users of this forum and then send us the idk? I know I at least am quite willing to pay for this app as is.
    Considering I'm at the app limit, I'm happy with this limited homebrew situation for now. At least with Preware I can install more apps. Once the offical version comes out, I'll be scrambling to clean my Pre up enough to be able to download apps from the Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by dreznicek View Post
    Ooooh, I don't like that. I'm on call 24x7. I depend on notifications to show up. If I got lost in a book for a few hours and got zero notifications, that'd be a bad thing for me.
    The sound/vibrations still work, so you know you got something. I appreciate that they aren't showing up in the notification area so the book stays full screen.
    interesting bug:
    I have mine set to use actual orientation and it works beautifully ... Until I click on a word to lookup. Then it will no longer switch panoramic.
    also when its set to full screen mode the gray bar becomes double size after searching.

thanks for the quick update - I'm loving the app.

Edit:

YouTube video I shot, showing the problems. For some reason, when I uploaded it to youtube, it decided to keep the audio at regular speed, but the video went into hyper speed. Oh well - you can still see the 2 problems I mentioned.
    Last edited by Deltfather; 10/07/2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: added youtube video
    It just keep saying: This trial version is expired. Please visit the app catalog to purchase a full version. I didn't even get to try it and it's not in the app catalog very disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by boonopaliss View Post
    It just keep saying: This trial version is expired. Please visit the app catalog to purchase a full version. I didn't even get to try it and it's not in the app catalog very disappointing.
    While I can understand the need to protect the software, if it is calling out to a server can't you just allow unlimited use until a date after it goes in the app catalog?

Since you have control, why handicap it at all then? Also the software is beta and not yet ready for a paid version so isn't this jumping the gun just a bit?

I REALLY appreciate the software believe me and I will buy this as soon as it hits, heck I will donate now, but can't you loosen up a bit until it is ready for prime time?