Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Small request; for the next release can you add some type of option to remove carriage returns or extra lines?

The HTML looks normal in a web browser but in the program it is adding or display about 3 spaces or lines for each space/line in the browser version.
    Can you send me the HTML file so that I can look at it. It may be possible for some sort of on device formatting. I will work on it.

Can you also add a search to take me to that word in the book? I am basically just trying to get to another chapter easily. ii
    Search functionality is under the app menu, when you type a word or phrase and press the search button you may have to give it a few seconds depending on the size of the file, but it will jump forward through each occurrence of your word or phrase.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    OH YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I started the E-book request thread and I want to personally say THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
    ii

Small request; for the next release can you add some type of option to remove carriage returns or extra lines?

The HTML looks normal in a web browser but in the program it is adding or displaying about 4 spaces or lines for each space/line in the browser version.

I am using the ABC Amber Palm Converter.
    Free download ABC Amber Palm Convertor, convert PDB, PRC documents to PDF, HTML, CHM, HLP, RTF, DOC, TXT

Can you also add a search to take me to that word in the book? I am basically just trying to get to another chapter easily. ii

On loading the program can you auto load the previous book? I would basically like to continue right where I left off without having to re-load it..
    If your books are in MS Word before a conversion to HTML, you can eliminate carriage returns there. If there's a double carriage return between paragraphs, do a "find and replace" and change all the double returns to "$$." FIND: "^p^p" -- REPLACE WITH: "$$".

Then replace all single returns ("^p") with a single blank space.

Then replace all the "$$" 's with "^p^p" 's.

If you have single carriage returns between paragraphs you have to get creative, but it can be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    The two book limit is server-implemented to avoid a re-installation loophole; however, no information is recorded other than the device ID (for uniqueness) and number of books opened.
    Do you think you could do so again? I converted one ebook from pdf to html and moved it over to the Pre. When I opened it I saw that the stupid converter's free version put a banner advertising the full version at the top of every page, so I downloaded another converter and copied it over. When I opened the reader the second time the message popped up to buy the app from the catalog.

Thanks.
    Bug report: When you select on of the book in your library, you have the option of editing the entry. (change title and/or author)

This works well, but there's a problem with it. The background of the box that isn't selected is transparent instead of gray, so it can be hard to read. This is a very minor bug, but should probably be changed.

Feature request: I'd like to see the reader automatically open whichever book was open last on launch.
    The two book limit is server-implemented to avoid a re-installation loophole; however, no information is recorded other than the device ID (for uniqueness) and number of books opened.
    There is something wrong.
    Right after I installed, I kept pressing search for books, without actually putting any books on my pre.
    Now, it says that I have reached the limit, even though I havent put any books on my pre.
    Most books are much, much larger than even the largest email, so there are difficulties here, mostly in that it takes a good long time for the Pre to rotate such a large block of text (i.e. the entire book). HOWEVER, this IS supported, if you go to preferences and select "Orientation -> Use Actual Orientation."
    Thanks for the reply; I guess the same consideration would run against letting users to "pinch" in and out and change the font size while the book is open (instead of changing in prefs and going through a reformat)?

Also, yeah, I'd pay five bucks right now for the app in its current state cant wait to start reading ebooks on my pre!
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Am I missing something? It says the trial has expired, and when I tap "search for books" nothing happens...any help is appreciated. Thanks
    I'm delighted to see PalmReader, been waiting for a good ebook reader to appears on WebOS. Hope to see it in the App Catalog soon, I'll be happy to support development with a purchase.

Initial use feedback:

Loaded 2 HTML-based books onto my Pre, Palm Reader found both. It loaded a relatively small file (600 kb) without problems, but appeared to choke on a 2.1 Mb file. I let it chug for about 30 minutes, then threw the card away to abort. When I relaunched, got a message the program had expired so I couldn't try again. FWIW, the big file started as a RTF, which I loaded into MS Word 2002 and saved as a web page. The other file was a native HTM file. Probably the large size was the problem though.

Like someone else mentioned up thread, as implemented, page flicking seems non-intuitive (unless you're reading a Japanese manga...). I think it would be much more natural to flick from right to left, as if you were flipping the pages of a book. The photo app uses this convention. Don't get me wrong though - paging down as opposed to scrolling is a huge improvement.

Text rendering is nice, and the default black text on white is very easy to read. I can imagine using white text on black for reading in the dark; nice options there.

I'm wishing I could make the buttons at the bottom disappear to give me more screen real estate.

I like the UI for dictionary lookup a LOT. Tap paragraph...tap word is much less clumsy than the normal WebOS text selection method. FWIW, several tries to lookup words using the default Wikipedia dictionary failed ("Unable to Load Page"). Websters and Google worked fine. "Your Dictionary" went to a site called "symfony", which gave a 404 "page not found" error.
    i have yet to even get a book loaded and it says my trial is ended, i just hit seach for library 3 times seeing if i could find books...
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I have to say, that as excited as I was when I saw this app in filecoaster, that's pretty much how disappointed I am now. I don't mean to be negative, but the limit of two searches for books has made this app pretty much useless for me, as I imagine it would for a lot of people. If you don't do things exactly right, you'll end up locked out of the reader.

Part of what you were hoping for, I think, when you placed this app in the homebrew section, was to get some feedback. But it is hard to give you feedback on an app you can't really play with. Two strikes and you're out.

I hope you keep working on this app. I'd like to say it has a lot of potential, but I can't because I haven't been able to use the darn thing. Opening it up to the Precentral community to play with for a week or two will be a very good investment for you. The feedback you get will be invaluable, and I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people who download the free version will gladly pay for the app catalog version.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Loaded 2 HTML-based books onto my Pre, Palm Reader found both. It loaded a relatively small file (600 kb) without problems, but appeared to choke on a 2.1 Mb file. I let it chug for about 30 minutes, then threw the card away to abort. When I relaunched, got a message the program had expired so I couldn't try again. FWIW, the big file started as a RTF, which I loaded into MS Word 2002 and saved as a web page. The other file was a native HTM file. Probably the large size was the problem though.
    Yes, the massive HTML put out by Microsoft Word pretty much exhausts the memory available to the app. Trying to come up with a way to deal with that...

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Like someone else mentioned up thread, as implemented, page flicking seems non-intuitive (unless you're reading a Japanese manga...). I think it would be much more natural to flick from right to left, as if you were flipping the pages of a book. The photo app uses this convention. Don't get me wrong though - paging down as opposed to scrolling is a huge improvement.

I'm wishing I could make the buttons at the bottom disappear to give me more screen real estate.
    I'll be addressing these and a few other things in an update soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Qeuzolt View Post
    i have yet to even get a book loaded and it says my trial is ended, i just hit seach for library 3 times seeing if i could find books...
    Quote Originally Posted by hankbuddy View Post
    I have to say, that as excited as I was when I saw this app in filecoaster, that's pretty much how disappointed I am now. I don't mean to be negative, but the limit of two searches for books has made this app pretty much useless for me, as I imagine it would for a lot of people. If you don't do things exactly right, you'll end up locked out of the reader.
    Understood. I'll make the necessary changes to make it a real two-book limit rather than a two-search limit like it inadvertently is now.
    Also, can we have the spacebar page down? that would be really awesome. and it doesn't seem like it would interfere with anything else, like the search function which you have to go through the menu to access.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I bought Classic specifically to be able to run Mobipocket. This is great, can't be released too soon.
    I've been waiting for an ebook reader since day 1. As a matter of fact, I found this website while looking for an ebook reader. I was seriously excited to see an actual ebook reader show up. The html limitation is no big deal as I've been playing the conversion game on my ipod touch for months and the switch to html is no worries. The thing that kills me is the 2 search limitation. After loading my two html ebooks (apparently incorrectly) and searching for them I am locked out of the app with no books loaded. If the app works I am first in line to buy it, but I won't buy an app I cannot test first. If there is anyway you can change the limit to having two actual books in the device library instead of searching twice so folks that mess up the initial search (like me) can at least give the app a try, it would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by SethVaughn View Post
    ......After loading my two html ebooks (apparently incorrectly) and searching for them I am locked out of the app with no books loaded. If the app works I am first in line to buy it, but I won't buy an app I cannot test first. If there is anyway you can change the limit to having two actual books in the device library instead of searching twice so folks that mess up the initial search (like me) can at least give the app a try, it would be great.

The developer just posted, on the same page as your post, that he would be releasing an update that changed it from a 2-search limit to an actual 2-book limit. In fact, it was only 3 posts before yours.

If the html isn't a problem for you, which it shouldn't be with non-DRM books, then I think you'll be really happy with it. Had this app hit the app store when the first paid apps hit, it would have been my first purchase. As is, I'll be buying it the minute I see it in the app store.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Hi,

I tried to get a justify layout by using <p align=justify>text</p> but it dosen't work. What html do you expect to get a justify layout for a paragraph?

HaPe
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Hi,

I tried to get a justify layout by using <p align=justify>text</p> but it dosen't work. What html do you expect to get a justify layout for a paragraph?

HaPe
    I admit I am relying on the OS to handle formatting of the HTML, so if some tag you enjoy doesn't work, there's not a lot I can do
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    removed
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    I admit I am relying on the OS to handle formatting of the HTML, so if some tag you enjoy doesn't work, there's not a lot I can do
    Hmm, that interesting. If I put the same HTML into the "Big simple book" application then the formatting is working, but not in the ebook reader...

HaPe
  20.    #80  
    Just posted version 1.0.1. Check the change log on the first post for changes. We have made almost every change in direct response to the valuable feedback users have given, so thank you for the posts. Additional keyboard support is on the way for greater functionality in landscape mode. Also, we are resetting the two book limit once again, sorry for the bug that locked out potential reviewers.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast