Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    As of the latest SDK we are unable to decompress these archives into the native HTML on the Pre. This has to be done on the PC prior to sending to the Pre.
    Can anyone recommend any software to decompress protected .pdb files and convert them into HTML?

TIA

Edit: I want to be clear that I do not need to remove DRM because I am the registered owner. Nor would I ever condone such a action. I just need to convert them into HTML
    Last edited by rc46; 10/05/2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Very weird but it says that it is expired and I have not even loaded a html book.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Things I like about this reader:
    1. Automatically saves my place when I shut down the app, opens it back up where I left off. Really, to me this is the single most important thing to me in a reader. That's something a real book won't even do.
    2. The auto scroll is nice. Haven't looked closely enough to see if it's speed-adjustable, if not, it should be. I can see using that.
    3. Nice text options and good formatting of the text in general.

Some things I'd like to see improved:
    1. More background color options. For as sharp as the display is, the colors pop so badly that any sustained time reading just hurts my eyes. I tried the "gray" but it's just muddy looking, too dark. Tried a few combinations, but nothing that I could imagine reading for more than a few minutes. I wonder if there's anything in WebOS for color contrast? To me, and I might be alone on this, I find the least painful display setup to be black text on very light grey (silver) background. This is how I read on my TX, and on my old monochrome Palms, the default was easy on the eyes as well. Sorry to be a picky *******.

2. My personal formats of choice are .txt, .doc, .pdf, .rtf, .pdb, .html, and even .jpg (for comics and magazine scans.) DocView already supports the first three of these, but if it doesn't support bookmarks, it's not hardly worth it. Anyways, as WebOS now supports txt files (or at least DocView does) would that make it any easier to provide txt support for your reader?

Looking forward to the develpment of this software!
    Just hung "processing" my .html ebook as well. And now my two tries are up so it's useless...
    So, no multi-file html. And no internal links, so no ability to jump to chapters.

So, I can download a Baen Free Library html book, but can't use it, because it's multi-file.

I can download the RTF but then can't jump to chapters or pages.

Uh.... you really REALLY need a way to support chapter and page tags inside the app.
    So, no multi-file html. And no internal links, so no ability to jump to chapters.

So, I can download a Baen Free Library html book, but can't use it, because it's multi-file.

Uh.... you really REALLY need a way to support chapter and page tags inside the app.
    Very nice, I've been waiting for an app like this ever since I got my pre ages ago!

I like all the features you have, I actually don't care about the only viewing .html thing, it's so easy to convert anything into html, I'd pay (a reasonable amount) for what this is now. Just a few suggestions:

Make orientation changes to landscape and back automatic with rotating the pre? I can foresee difficulties with keeping the reader's place in the text once everything changes like that, but for instance, the email app even when reading very long emails handles this aspect of rotating the file just fine (I don't know the details tho).

I love the ability to customize the background, but I like putting black background and light colored text, and then the bottom at the bar interferes with the effect (it's obnoxiously bright, in fact, see screen shot). Can this be automatically hidden until you do something to call it up like swiping down or forward or something?

Along the same lines, I've noticed that some apps (most notably the photo app) take up the ENTIRE screen, covering even the bar assistant at the very top. The more screen real estate the better - is this something you can add to your app?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I recall reading a few days ago that Palm is working on their eReader program for WebOS. I don't want to discourage your effort, but you may want to check out whether Palm is working on something before investing too much time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Can anyone recommend any software to decompress protected .pdb files and convert them into HTML?

TIA

Edit: I want to be clear that I do not need to remove DRM because I am the registered owner. Nor would I ever condone such a action. I just need to convert them into HTML
    It doesn't matter who the registered owner is, if a book is DRMed, you can't convert it to anything.

I buy every eBook I read, but I always decrypt and remove DRM, just so that I can convert freely and use them on any device of mine that I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post

I agree completely, and I know that there are other project working on ebook readers, but I'm still ready to hand over my hard earned money just for this.

All I 'need' in an ebook reader is a program that will open formats I can handle on my linux desktop (txt, rtf, htm, html, epub, etc) and will remember my place when the app is closed.

Add a functional page-down, either using an on-screen button, simple gestures or one of the hardware buttons, and I'd pay good money for it.

That's all I want, and I don't care who get's it in the app store first. If a better ebook reader comes along I'll pay for that too. I'm just tired of using the pdf viewer to read ebooks.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I would pay min 5$ for fb2 support! FictionBook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Very weird but it says that it is expired and I have not even loaded a html book.
    I had a similar problem.

I also think the trial needs to be more than opening 2 books. It's way too limiting to really evaluate the software properly.
    I feel the the responses have been a bit too negative so let me plainly state what I know many other pre users are thinking - THANK YOU FOR BUILDING A DECENT, FLEXIBLE, EBBOK READER!
    I've been carrying my blackberry with me so I could use mobipocket even though the phone has no service ... And I bet I'm not the only one. The void this app can fill is huge.
    Yeah its a beta. Please fix the things the other posts mentioned, but don't let anyone get you down. Oh, and take off the 2 limit while we're testing - I don't think the app is far enough along that you need to worry that any significant portion of the users wouldn't pay for the updated final product.
    what price point are you anticipating for the app?
    Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    No I really did not miss the point.
    being able to read DRM'd eBooks is a must for me, also. I routinely borrow digital titles from the local library & they are distributed as either Adobe
    , mobipocket or epub files. Hope Palm gives the app's creators the access they need to make this a possibility. Hey, can't beat free books that you can borrow without leaving bed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltfather View Post
    I feel the the responses have been a bit too negative
    Welcome to PreCentral, home of negativity.

so let me plainly state what I know many other pre users are thinking - THANK YOU FOR BUILDING A DECENT, FLEXIBLE, EBBOK READER!
    +1, this is the one app I want, badly.
    I feel the the responses have been a bit too negative so let me plainly state what I know many other pre users are thinking - THANK YOU FOR BUILDING A DECENT, FLEXIBLE, EBBOK READER!
    I've been carrying my blackberry with me so I could use mobipocket even though the phone has no service ... And I bet I'm not the only one. The void this app can fill is huge.
    Yeah its a beta. Please fix the things the other posts mentioned, but don't let anyone get you down. Oh, and take off the 2 limit while we're testing - I don't think the app is far enough along that you need to worry that any significant portion of the users wouldn't pay for the updated final product.
    what price point are you anticipating for the app?
    +2 ... I've been carrying around this ancient tungsten E2 - large screen, easy-to-use buttons, good old fashioned e-reader software... but come on, two palms to do the work of one? thanks so much for getting this app started and out the door!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post

I will also renew the limit on your uses, and work on resolving the issue. Thanks for the feedback.
    I had the exact same issue. Until there is a paid version available in the app catalog can you bump the limit up? at this point I only get to test with one book to see if this app is even any good.

BTW, I like the auto scroll feature. Page turns took me a minute to figure out. Realized I was going backwards at first when I was flipping pages. Would be nice to see more formats supported by HTML is easy enough to come by/convert to. Other than the book limitation while it is only a homebrew app, I like it. Looks like what I have been waiting for.
    Last edited by icthusman1; 10/06/2009 at 10:43 AM.
  18. Oz
    Thank you for taking the time to write this. I appreciate the limitations you've attempted to work within, regarding the pdb/ebook formats, etc. I know that I enjoyed reading books on my Treo and have an account at the ebook reader site

Perhaps as part of the install you could include a short public domain book for testing (unless the install process would not be able to write things in that folder)? You may get more valuable feedback that way?

If not, perhaps a link in the help file (which is well done, by the way)?

Thanks.
    I just downloaded app from homebrew and it says trial version expired. visit app catalog to purchase. Did not put one book on it

Fred
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It doesn't matter who the registered owner is, if a book is DRMed, you can't convert it to anything.

I buy every eBook I read, but I always decrypt and remove DRM, just so that I can convert freely and use them on any device of mine that I want.
    Nice Contradiction there.....
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast