webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Messaging Plugins (Live, Yahoo and ICQ)
Messaging Plugins (Live, Yahoo and ICQ)

Old 09/29/2009, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

New thread here http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-your-pre.html

MESSAGING PLUGINS
=================
Sorry for the long post but it helps explain everything. Please read it carefully before installing.

Is a set of plugins which are added to the native Messaging application. (See picture attachment)

SUPPORTED WEBOS
=================
1.2.X and 1.3.x.x.

AVAILABLE PLUGINS
=================
Live Messenger
Sametime
Office Communicator
Novell Groupwise
Yahoo (Built-In but using later versions)
Gtalk (Built-In but using later versions)
AIM (Built-In but using later versions)
Facebook (testing, available in seperate IPK only)

VERSION INFORMATION
=================
  • 2.0.4 - New debug script. (Thanks to phillipah). Running /var/home/root/DebugMP.sh from root or Quick Install should now create a log in /media/internal/DebugMP with. Big help!

Palm's connection method. (WiFi only, should fix many disconnect issues)

Ability to disable aliasing (This will "fix" the MSN issue. Then we can see the differences and see what is really breaking this)

Note: Aliasing can only be enabled/disable at account creation time due to how contacts are stored. So if you want to change the state you need to remove and re-add the account.

(Option is disabled in Edit account screen)

Ability to disable avatars (Save bandwidth etc)
    Note: If you change this setting you need to log off and back on

Added "user agent" option for Live Communicator (Not tested)

Login fix for Live Communicator
    Fixed crash for Live Communicator is a buddys SIP login is in the form of user.name@blah.com. (Also found out user aliasing wont work ever)

Yahoo password issue. Hopefully solved.
    (My logon option now sets the password in the database everytime. Also enter no logon works on the login screen. You must click "Login")
    (I also worked around the error)

Updating account now shows Update or "Update/Sign In" depending on options selected.

Account fields now disable on account form when logging on

Jabber now supports "resources"

ICQ now supports Alias's

And a supprise...... Facebook . It's as best as I can get it and may still crash (Though its worked OK so far). But try it anyway. For now its not included in the AllPlugins

package so you must install this seperately. You may need to login twice for contacts to show properly. The contact list may be the iffy bit now.
  • 2.0.3 - Fixed Gtalk on GSM phones.
  • 2.0.2 - Jabber on GSM. This was not working for languages other than english. This should now work
    ICQ Removal (thanks milanroubal). Fixed removal cleanup. Removed files that were controller by the Patch.
    GTalk signon (thanks intellidryad and Adam) - (This was working for me as the all plugins package fixed the issue)
    Groupwise now logs in with correct name (E.G someone@server.com)
    Hopefully fixed a random crash.
  • 2.0.1 - Fixed Palm Application Catalog
    Fixed SIPE crash under certain conditions
    Included Palms new source code
    Smaller install
    System files are no longer replaced
    No need to restart your phone after the system files installation
    Preware Works Correctly
  • 2.0.0 - Complete cleanup and slimline of code and plugin. Hopefully now more reliable and if anything goes wrong easier to reinstall/repair.

Fully supports WebOS 1.3.5

New IPKS. The plugin is now broken in to 2 main parts plus plugins packages.
    1. - System Files Update (No need to be removed for each plugin update - Largest part)
    2. - Main Patch (This will be removed and installed for new updates)
    3. - One IPK file for each plugin (This is handy if a plugin fails to install, just reinstall the IPK)
    4. - One IPK containing all plugins (if required and as above)

The IPKS now have dependancies. This is in preperation for Preware.
    No packages have reboots or restarts of luna. This is in preperation for Preware and adding a restart after each individual plugin would be very annoying!.

WebOS 1.3.5 Only (I think, didn't work on my 1.3.1 Pre but does on the 1.3.5 Emulator) - Alias's now work for messenger. The buddies email address is no longer shown. (Are there any other plugins that need this fixed????)
    NOTE ON THE ABOVE - I somehow had duplicates of each contact stored in my database so alias's didnt work. What I had to do is add my messenger account, log out then delete every messenger contact from my contacts. I then deleted my messenger account from the messaging application and re-added it. Then my aliases worked.

Login timeout has been set to 3 mintues. (This is helpful for people with large contact lists but this will also timeout after 3 minutes on bad connections)

WebOS 1.3.x ONLY - Logon/Logoff for individual accounts. To use this click Messaging Menu>Preferences. Then click on the account.

Sametime now logs on correctly.

Groupwise should now log on correctly. (Cross fingers)

Fixed an issue where if you had a jabber account configured you could not connect with gtalk.

"sip:" no longer appears in the contacts list for Office Communicator.
    conversations between Office Communicator IM's stays in the same window.

TLS fixed for Office Communicator (I hope)
    Added an option to disable the proxy for Office Communicator (WebOS 1.3.5+) only.

QQ may now work. (I was able to sign in, hopefully you can too)

Added new plugin XFire.

WebOS 1.3.5 Only - Contacts can now be deleted. Removing an account will remove all contacts.
    You can now also delete an individual contact if it has been removed from your IM contact list. (Contacts are always added by the closed source Palm code so I can't change this)
    Contacts will be able to be deleted after the 1st login. (A second login may be required) (Also close and re-open the contacts app for this to work.
    To use this click Messaging Menu>Preferences. Then click on the account and select R/W Contacts. (Ensure the contacts application is closed first and you are signed off)

If a contact cannot be deleted run the following command and try again.
    sh /media/crypto/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.messaging/MessagingPlugins.sh /media/crypto/apps/ EnableContactsReadWrite live (or plugin name)

Files are no longer installed to the root file system. (Except System Update, these need to be on root or the WebOS wont boot) They are installed in /var in WebOS <= 1.3.1 and /media/cryptofs/app in WebOS >= 1.3.5. Only 2.5 megs of space is used on the root file system now.

Checks for patching failures and notifies you of the error. (Allows you to find the corrupt file)

Pixi Support (Untested but should work)

Preware category is now set correctly. (Shows up in Plugins)

Moved the config files and certificate store for plugins so uninstalling the plugin/patch doesn't require you to re-enter details each time. Config is now stored in /var/preferences/org.webosinternals.messaging/

Added new script /var/home/root/DebugMP.sh that will close and restart the LibpurpleAdapterExt service from a terminal window for debugging. (Must be logged out first!)

Uninstalling plugins should no longer break in built plugins loggin on.

Fixed Messaging Plugins (Blue Moon) icon in the launcher. It is now gone.
  • 1.2.3 - Fixed Server settings post WebOS 1.3.1
  • 1.2.2 - Fixed Gtalk and hopefully QQ signin
  • 1.2.1 - Supports WebOS 1.2.1 and 1.3.1 (A few more changes in 1.3.1 than i'd expected)
    Yahoo support only installed/removed on WebOS 1.2 (Also on 1.3.1 emulator as its missing?!?!)
    Hopefully fixed Live not installing. (I completely re-wrote the whole installer)
    Will no longer backup files as linux patching handles this nicely (saving space)
    Hopefully got the DB update working nicely so all plugins install first time
    Chinese QQ Support (Untested)
    I have increased the login timeout to 60 seconds. Hopefully this helps people with big contact lists
    No longer touches the files that broke some other patches (Should also fix some server logon issues)
    IRC can now handle no password
    My code now handles errors better (e.g. A corrupt config file)
  • 1.2.0 WebOS 1.3.1 Support (Didnt work )
  • 1.1.0 - Jabber, IRC, Office Communicator, Novell Groupwise and Sametime support
    New patching for Palm files (more reliable)
    Libpurple is now compiled with the same settings as Palm's libpurple. (Keep alive has been changed, should help battery life)
    Fixed Yahoo not being removed on uninstall
    3rd party certificates required for authentication (e.g. Company Office Communicator servers) can be copied to "/var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.messaging/libpurple/certificates/x509/tls_peers directory"
    The certificates must be in the same format as Pidgin. (On windows these are found in %appdata%\.purple\certificates\x509\tls_peers after you log in at least once using pidgin)
    Facebook no longer installed by default.
  • 1.0.4 - Facebook Support, Icons fixed when searching for accounts, Gtalk and AIM now use my service to login, improved installer.
  • 1.0.3 - Fixed AIM and Yahoo Messaging
  • 1.0.2 - Fixed AIM. Not released
  • 1.0.1 - Fixed to work with updated WebOS 1.2 Pre's
  • 1.0.0 - Initial Version

KNOWN ISSUES (Thanks to freakout and Abyssul)
=============================================
• Can't add to buddy list
• Sometimes the signing in message keeps looping

How to login
================
Yahoo: username or email
MSN: email address
Jabber: email (e.g. user@jabber.org)
Sametime: username
Office Communicator: email
IRC: username@server (e.g. username@irc.freenode.net)
Novell Groupwise: username@domain.com
Facebook: username@domain.com

How to use IRC
==============
Its not pretty but it does give us more than we have now. I recommend wIRC from webos internals.

Login to IRC. Hopefully it will connect and you will get an IRC window pop up. This window can be removed.
Click new message/contact button (bottom left hand corner). Enter "/join #CHANNEL NAME" (E.g. /join #webos-internals). Then type anything in the message field and hit enter.

IRC should now connect to the channel in a new window. The /join window can also now be closed.

HOW TO INSTALL
==============
Please note: There is three versions of "Messaging Plugins". One for Pre (armv7), one for Pixi (Arm6) and one for the emulator (i686).
Please note: Preware and IPKG Service is required to install this patch.
Please note: WebOS Patch is required to install this patch. (Download link below)
Please note: This program should be uninstalled before performing a WebOS update.
Please note: Installation will take some time. Be patient.

Install using WebOS Quick Install (http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...k-install.html)

Installation Order (Very Important)
===================================

Extract downloaded zip file

*********** CLOSE EVERYTHING AND LOG OFF MESSAGING ***********

GNU Patch (Install from Preware or http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-internals/ in either armv7 (Pre), armv6 (Pixi) or i686 (Emulator) called org.webosinternals.patch_2.5.9.X_*.ipk
org.webosinternals.messagingsysfiles_2.0.0_*.ipk - System Files
org.webosinternals.messagingpatch_2.0.0_*.ipk - Main Patch
org.webosinternals.messagingallplugins_2.0.0_*.ipk (Or Individual Plugin) - All Plugins or Individual Patches

*********** RESTART LUNA ( Orange, Sym + R )************* (Otherwise no plugins will be shown)

Download Links
==============
Palm Pre
http://users.tpg.com.au/gregroll//Me...4-Palm-Pre.zip

Palm Pixi
http://users.tpg.com.au/gregroll//Me...-Palm-Pixi.zip

Emulator
http://users.tpg.com.au/gregroll//Me...4-Palm-SDK.zip

I am unable to attach here as the files are slightly too big!

DONATE
======
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...if%3aNonHosted

THANKS
================
A big thanks to the following people for their help and support.

Abyssul - very big thanks!
SMKOUT333 - very big thanks!
rwhitby - Main Page - WebOS Internals
PuffTheMagic - PréYourMind | Free Opensource Pré Developer Hosting
palm open source team - Welcome to opensource.palm.com - Palm
jettero
Pidgin (libpurple) developers - WhatIsLibpurple – Pidgin – Trac
Adam - Lots of help with Office Communicator
phillipah - Debugging and reworked debug script.

Everyone on the forums that help out! Couldn't do this without you.
Everyone who offered to help but due to timezone differences were unable to!

WISH LIST
=========
Group twistees

UNINSTALL
=========
There are two ways to uninstall.

1 - Use Web OS Quick Install.
2 - Preware

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
=====================
Below contains information about "Messaging Plugins"

"Messaging Plugins" uses a new service which is based off the Palm messaging service.
This service is a connector to libpurpleadapter.

The service is called im.libpurpleext.greg.
The service is executed by /usr/bin/LibpurpleAdapterExt.

Last edited by greg_roll; 03/02/2010 at 03:16 AM.
greg_roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2009, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

HOLY HELL!

Just downloaded, getting ready to install. If this works, you're my new hero.
VeeDubb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: oliven_schurke
Old 09/29/2009, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Can we use any version of WebOS quick install?
aibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2009, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aibrahim View Post
Can we use any version of WebOS quick install?
Hi aibrahim,

Not sure. I have been using the latest version. Let me know your luck if you use another version.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 09/29/2009, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just tried installing with WOSQI 2.6 (I know it's not supposed to work, but I had it handy. It did not work)

I'm going to re-download 2.03 again and take a another run that way.

What I'd really like, would be instructions for doing this from the terminal. I'm much more comfortable with the terminal than anything else. (except maybe preware)
Thanked by rlanza1054, robbskittles
Old 09/29/2009, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

hey greg_roll...will these be updated thru preware or gotta download the ipk again thru here and do it like the 1st time?

2010-2011 Champions!

maxima2k53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2009, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've tried using QI 2.03, 2.5, 2.53, and 2.6 - all give me the same error message:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/206...engererror.jpg

Can't wait to get this working!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg messengererror.jpg (21.5 KB, 362 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by aibrahim; 09/29/2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09/29/2009, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
I just tried installing with WOSQI 2.6 (I know it's not supposed to work, but I had it handy. It did not work)

I'm going to re-download 2.03 again and take a another run that way.

What I'd really like, would be instructions for doing this from the terminal. I'm much more comfortable with the terminal than anything else. (except maybe preware)
Hi VeeDubb65,

I've been using 2.5.2 to install it on the emulator. (Im in Aus and don't have a Pre). I'm not sure what my testers have been using.

If you could let me know what errors you got if any?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 09/29/2009, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

ok well im using 2.6 qi and it (supposedly) installed perfectly but when i go to my messanger...msn isnt there...but when i go to device management in qi..."messaging plugins" is there but it isnt working

2010-2011 Champions!

Old 09/29/2009, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_roll View Post
Hi VeeDubb65,

I've been using 2.5.2 to install it on the emulator. (Im in Aus and don't have a Pre). I'm not sure what my testers have been using.

If you could let me know what errors you got if any?

Thanks,
Greg
Well, that's the tough part. I didn't get any errors at all. I'm using WOSQI 2.6, because it's what I had handy, and it's still using WOSDr 1.1 because I've yet to see a 1.2 version of the file.

From the desktop, it appeared to install without any errors. While installing, the launcher screen on my Pre came up, and then locked until the Pre rebooted itself.

I assumed that the reboot was caused by a postint script, but it doesn't look like it. Once the Pre came back up, there was no change. I went into the messaging app, tried to add a new IM account, and the only options were gtalk and AIM, just like before.
Thanked By: wsw1217
Old 09/29/2009, 07:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I've tried using QI 2.03, 2.5, 2.53, and 2.6 - all give me the same error message:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/206...engererror.jpg

Can't wait to get this working!
Hi aibrahim,

Thanks for the picture.

My tester did mention this error but he tried again after installing Preware and it worked. I don't know why but if you can maybe try and install Preware, reboot and try again.

Very weird...

Appologies to everyone.

Greg
Old 09/29/2009, 07:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
Agreed.
Mattykinsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2009, 07:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
ok well im using 2.6 qi and it (supposedly) installed perfectly but when i go to my messanger...msn isnt there...but when i go to device management in qi..."messaging plugins" is there but it isnt working
Hi maxima2k53,

What OS are you on 1.2 or 1.1?

This will not work on 1.1

Greg
Old 09/29/2009, 07:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
NaS

just installed and only got yahoo!!
NaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2009, 07:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

If you connect to #webos-internals using IRC or freenode Web IRC (qwebirc) I am there available to chat.

Might be easier...

Greg
Old 09/29/2009, 08:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

on which IRC server are you Greg?
Old 09/29/2009, 08:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_roll View Post
Hi maxima2k53,

What OS are you on 1.2 or 1.1?

This will not work on 1.1

Greg
im on 1.2

2010-2011 Champions!

Old 09/29/2009, 08:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
on which IRC server are you Greg?
Sorry im on freenode.net
Old 09/29/2009, 08:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

you my hero man!!!! thank you so much!!!
SISGUITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2009, 08:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

i just tried to install it the 2nd time after i had uninstalled it when it didnt work and now i cant open my messaging app....dont know if it has to do with the plugin...and i have already uninstalled it from device management in qi and still i cant open so let me figure this out

Edit: no matter wut i do i cant open my messaging so ima doctor my fone

2010-2011 Champions!

Last edited by maxima2k53; 09/29/2009 at 08:26 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0