Page 10 of 122 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060110 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Can someone plz explain to me what exactly happens with this when it works? I have yet to try out any IM on the pre. Sounds like it downloads your MSN contacts into your address/contacts list? So if you have a list with like 300 contacts due to facebook, is the only way to see if an MSN contact is online to scroll through the huge list, find who you want, and see if their status is online? Or is there any sort of list of online contacts on MSN that you can view? That one screenshot doesn't really show the product off enough..
    Works just like your texting someone. All your MSN contacts show (or not as an option). Synergy works well in yahoo. the little green lights shows if someone in your contacts or in text messaging that's online...

If someone in your contacts has a MSN IM address...that's where synergy comes in. IF you start a convo with that person in texting....then move to MSN IM...the convo will show in the same card...no need to move to a different app. You just continue the convo as normal..

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    I'm confused....would some one mind emailing me on how to install the plugin on my palm pre? I copied it over to my phone, but I have no idea how to run it from my phone. xfilemanx@yahoo.com
    Last question, can this be installed and then removed to go back to the state it was before? Or do you pretty much have to doctor your Pre after you install this if you decide you don't want it?
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I'm using WOSQI 2.6, and it's using the WebOSDoctor for 1.2.

I deleted all my IM accounts from my pre before installing.

The WOSQI 2.6 actually does work perfectly with 1.2, it's just that all of the tweaks are broken with 1.2

Anyway, some folks seem to have had better luck installing preware and the IPKG manager service first. Both can be installed through WOSQI.

Remember that WOSQI only works if your pre is in developer mode.

The install takes FOR EVER. Be patient.

The phone looks like it reboots after the install finishes, but it's not rebooting. It's just a luna restart. Wait until it comes all the way back up before you disconnect it, and then reboot it fully. (Orange+Sym+r)

WOSQI should let you reinstall if you've already installed and it didn't go well.
    Ill try that..
    Help a guy thats down and out on his luck..
    Last question, can this be installed and then removed to go back to the state it was before? Or do you pretty much have to doctor your Pre after you install this if you decide you don't want it?

Good question, personally i dont mind reflashing my PRE. Atleast I dont have to worry about any messed up code!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Can someone plz explain to me what exactly happens with this when it works? I have yet to try out any IM on the pre.
    The Pre shipped with the ability to communicate with people vis SMS message and Gtalk and AIM instant messenger services. Missing was the ability to use Windows Messenger, Yahoo Messenger and a host of lesser known IM protocols. If you absolutely had to have one of the missing services you could sign in over the web on sites like Meebo, but this left you without stored message threads, alert notifications, contact integration and a host of other things the Pre is good at.

This plugin adds Yahoo, Windows Messenger and ICQ to the list of IM protocols you can talk to people on. We use Yahoo where I work, and with this plugin I can be available to my team at all times. I've been waiting since launch day for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by xfilemanx View Post
    I'm confused....would some one mind emailing me on how to install the plugin on my palm pre? I copied it over to my phone, but I have no idea how to run it from my phone. xfilemanx@yahoo.com

Seriously? You must not have even read all of the first post.

You don't copy the file over to your Pre at all. That's simply not part of the process.

You use a program on your desktop called WebOSQuickInstall to install the program to your phone.

If you don't know what WebOSQuickInstall is or how to install a program with it, I would reccomend using the Search feature hear at the forums, since there are few topics that get more coverage on this forum than WebOSQuickInstall.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Greg, you are my current hero. Got 1.0.3 installed on my 1.2 Doctored phone using QI 2.6. MSN, Yahoo and AIM are all working. You are the man. Enjoy a few well earned days off.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melissasroja View Post
    I dont know if anyone has mentioned this but my only "issue" is when Im logged onto Yahoo on the comp if someone calls my cell it automatically reconnects me to Yahoo on the cell after the call ends thus kicking me off Yahoo on the comp requiring me to log back in on the comp. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? It isnt horribly annoying for me really but I can see how it could become a pain. Thanks.
    Don't think there is a way. This is the standard behavior of the messenger on the Pre. It signs off because the EVDO connection on the Pre closes when the voice network is in use(pretty standard for CDMA networks from what I've seen) and automaticly reconnects once to connection opens again. I get around this by using the WiFi most of the time since that stays active during calls. Since I pretty much always use my bluetooth I can continue to use messenger on the phone while on calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by matikz View Post
    Greg, you are my current hero. Got 1.0.3 installed on my 1.2 Doctored phone using QI 2.6. MSN, Yahoo and AIM are all working. You are the man. Enjoy a few well earned days off.
    Stop rubbing it in..can i say brown noser :P
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melissasroja View Post
    I dont know if anyone has mentioned this but my only "issue" is when Im logged onto Yahoo on the comp if someone calls my cell it automatically reconnects me to Yahoo on the cell after the call ends thus kicking me off Yahoo on the comp requiring me to log back in on the comp. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? It isnt horribly annoying for me really but I can see how it could become a pain. Thanks.
    Yahoo! messenger does not allow for multiple logins. Gtalk (and AIM, sorta) does. This is why Palm hasn't yet put icq, yahoo, msnm/Live support in yet. They're trying to figure out how to work around this issue. When you get a call your data connection goes away unless you're on wifi. When you get done with the call, it will bring the data connection back up and log back in to your messaging services.

So.. it's 'working as designed/expected.'

Can't be logged in via the phone AND your computer at the same time with icq, y!m, or msnm/live messenger.

While I love what greg has done here, people have to understand that you can't just enable this and then expect to login to those services on your computer as well w/o some issues.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Seriously? You must not have even read all of the first post.

You don't copy the file over to your Pre at all. That's simply not part of the process.

You use a program on your desktop called WebOSQuickInstall to install the program to your phone.

If you don't know what WebOSQuickInstall is or how to install a program with it, I would reccomend using the Search feature hear at the forums, since there are few topics that get more coverage on this forum than WebOSQuickInstall.
    And if one doesn't use QuickInstall? The first page does mention an alternative. I also find the instuctions for the alternarives to be none too clear.

Personally I have avoided QuickInstall so I don't have yet another program cluttering up my machine to maintain. I also rarely use my machine to add packages to my Pre. Using the teminal program there are alternatives from the command prompt as well as Preware, fileCoaster and Preload.

And yes, I have read the first post many times.
    TTFN
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeedle View Post
    And if one doesn't use QuickInstall? The first page does mention an alternative. I also find the instuctions for the alternarives to be none too clear.

The alternative involves rooting your Pre and installing from a prompt. WebOS Quickinstall is much safer and easier.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Just ran into something that I'm wondering if anyone has seen. Hit the wrong icon on my computer(distraction FTL) and launched Trillian which kicked me from Yahoo and MSN. After exiting Trillian and attempting to reconnect neither Yahoo or MSN or would connect again. Went ahead and reset the phone(orange+sym+r) and completely shut down the phone with the power button but both protocols continued to hang at logging in. Ended up having to remove both accounts and readd them before they would sign on. Decided to test if this was going to an issue anytime I had to sign off and back on so I shut down the wifi and made a call. After the call ended both protocols connected as usual. Not sure if it was a fluke but I thought I'd post it anyway just in case. Sorry this is a little long winded. I'm a tech so I'm used to documenting for break/fix tickets.

Personally I have avoided QuickInstall so I don't have yet another program cluttering up my machine to maintain. I also rarely use my machine to add packages to my Pre. Using the teminal program there are alternatives from the command prompt as well as Preware, fileCoaster and Preload.

And yes, I have read the first post many times.
    I'll answer this, but personally I would recommend that you use QuickInstall. This option is neither better, faster or safer, and you do it at your own risk. If you want to do this without quickinstall, do the following.

1. Find and download .ipk files for Preware and the Package Manager service. I have no idea where to download this directly, but you'll need them. No exception.
    2. Download the .ipk for the messenger plugins.
    3. Connect your Pre as a USB device and dump the ipk files in there.
    4. Disconnect your Pre.
    5. Get to a root terminal. You can use novaterm or ssh, but you must be root. If you don't know the meaning of what I just said, turn back now, stop being stubborn, and use the QuickInstall. It's faster easier and more reliable.
    6. Make the filesystem writeable.
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    7. Change directories to where you dumped the .ipk files
    Code:
    cd /media/internal
    Code:
    ls
    ls should return all the files in your USB storage,and that should include all 3 .ipk files. If it doesn't, go back to step 3 and try again.
    9. Install the Package Manager Service, Preware and the messaging plugins, in that order by entering the following command once for each file, replacing file.ipk with the actual filename as reported by the ls command:
    Code:
    ipkg install /media/internal/filename.ipk
    10. luna will restart after installing the messaging plugins, and maybe after the package manager. Wait for any luna restarts to complete before installing the next .ipk
    11. Make the filesystem read only.
    Code:
    mount -o remount,ro /
    12. Reboot your pre. You can either hit Orange+Sym+r on the Pre keyboard, or you can enter
    Code:
    reboot
    from the root terminal.

Once again, using WebOSQuickInstall is easy and consistent, and doing anything from the root terminal runs the risk of messing up your Pre, so there is no real advantage to doing this, and I say that as a long time linux user on the desktop.
    Last edited by VeeDubb65; 10/01/2009 at 04:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matikz View Post
    That's exactly how I did it and it works!!! I'm guessing we can't link MSN Messenger and the new services to our contacts just yet or we will have issues. Keep it up Greg! I will send you a donation for your hard work! And I hope everybody else who is loving it does the same thing!
    got it working..
    had to install preware and the IPKG manager service. installed smoothly
    after installing those
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I'll answer this, but personally I would recommend that you use QuickInstall. This option is neither better, faster or safer, and you do it at your own risk. If you want to do this without quickinstall, do the following.
    Agreed. My motivation for not using QuickInstall is access to a PC during the day and while traveling. I also beliive the Pre should be very capable of doing this directly.

Thanks for the reply and for what it's worth. I was able to install using the commands you outlined. Using Yahoo, it would not connect. I was able to get it uninstalled and will try again. Thanks!
    TTFN
    Since I couldn't wait... I'm trying it on my 1.1->1.2 updated Pre. With QI 2.6. Which is not supposed to work with 1.2.

Let's see... *fingers crossed*

*update*: So, as everyone else in this thread pointed out... it's not working with the updated version... I guess I'm gonna have to doctor. MSN is that important to me... : /...

I might wait to doctor it though... It's interesting because all the links show up when I go into add a new profile. however, they stay frozen in the Login screen. I also find it interesting that I am now unable to remove any accounts. I tried to remove my GTalk account as well as my AIM, both of which refuse to be removed... Interesting...

*uninstalls it*

So... after uninstallation... this is what I get:

Interesting.

Just to let everyone know: I'm not complaining nor am I asking for fixes. I am simply listing my observations. I knew this would not work, and I had no intention of trying the best I can (or forcing Greg) to make it work. I was just curious whether, despite everyone elses experiences, if I could make it work or not. Apparently not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SirataXero; 10/01/2009 at 06:03 PM.
    Agreed. My motivation for not using QuickInstall is access to a PC during the day and while traveling. I also beliive the Pre should be very capable of doing this directly.

Thanks for the reply and for what it's worth. I was able to install using the commands you outlined. Using Yahoo, it would not connect. I was able to get it uninstalled and will try again. Thanks!
    I'm glad it worked for you, and I have an extra tip for you as well. Once again, this tip is NOT intended for the average user, and anyone who follows this does so at their own risk.

You can actually do all this directly on the Pre without even using novaterm or ssh. There is a terminal service and a terminal app called internalz, which will let you do all this on the Pre directly. Obviously, it would be easier to do it with ssh, but there are times when there is no other computer to use. If you can get the ipk files to download to your Pre, and find them in the file system, you can do all this without a desktop, I just don't recommend it.