Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrenqj View Post
    Computer players will offer ~you~ trades. You can disable this behaviour with the "Computer offers trades" option in the preferences. But from your comment it sounds like the computer was offering trades for you during your turn. If this is happening it's a bug. Could you please specify which is happening?
    The computer was offering my property + cash to another player; the other computer player would reject the offer, and a note detailing the failed transaction would appear. I'm downloading the new version. I'll see if the behavior occurs again and post a more illuminating comment to help you track down the bug (if there really is one).
    Last edited by cas_esq; 10/27/2009 at 01:06 AM.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    On the main game board there needs to be some way to indicate if a property is already owned. Wether by you or someone else. Doesn't even need to be specific to which player owns it, just that it is gone.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrenqj View Post
    Computer players will offer ~you~ trades. You can disable this behaviour with the "Computer offers trades" option in the preferences. But from your comment it sounds like the computer was offering trades for you during your turn. If this is happening it's a bug. Could you please specify which is happening?
    I downloaded the newest version and played one game. On one occasion, during hat's turn, hat rejected an offer to trade X property for my Y property plus cash. I owned Y property and never made the offer. At this point, I am unable to identify a trigger for the bug.

Another oddity: occasionally, the play-by-play would stop functioning for a few dice rolls. (That is, the center of the board would remain blank.) It would usually come back after 4 to 6 turns. During the periods when the play-by-play wasn't functioning, the game play appeared to continue normally; I just couldn't follow what was happening.
    Last edited by cas_esq; 10/27/2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Even if the box is unchecked for "computer offers trades", the computer still offers me trades.

Also, I landed on prison (just visiting) and a card popped up that just said "prison" on it, as if it was a property you could buy. That should be taken out.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Also, bankrupted players should be removed from the board.

Love the game!
    A bug I have came across was a computer player offering me a trade of property and cash but when I clicked accept it said the computer player didnt have enough cash. Gets a bit annoying when you see the trade pop up every round and you cant accept.

Another thing that would be nice is if you clicked on on of your own properties and on the mortgage button it would also show how much you will get
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Two more things I found:

1. A computer player landed on taxes, and a card popped up as if it was a property to purchase. This needs to be taken out. See first attached picture.

2. A computer player had to advance to nearest railroad and pay owner twice what they normally would. I owned all 4 railroads, so the normal rent was $200, and he should have paid me $400. However, he only paid me the standard rent and the game went on. See second attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    2. A computer player had to advance to nearest railroad and pay owner twice what they normally would. I owned all 4 railroads, so the normal rent was $200, and he should have paid me $400. However, he only paid me the standard rent and the game went on. See second attached picture.
    Confirmed. Saw this last night. Screencap attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Also, I can't quite describe what happened, but something seemed a little strange when trading properties to another player. I was going to trade him a property for one of his+cash, and he didn't have much cash. I made the offer good enough that he would have accepted it if he had the cash. Instead of "Done" it came up with "Something Went Wrong." He didnt lose any cash and we kept our properties, but I somehow gained cash.
    And I would have to re-add the property to the trade menu, because after that he treated the offer as if the property wasnt there.
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    Another oddity: occasionally, the play-by-play would stop functioning for a few dice rolls. (That is, the center of the board would remain blank.) It would usually come back after 4 to 6 turns. During the periods when the play-by-play wasn't functioning, the game play appeared to continue normally; I just couldn't follow what was happening.
    That happens if you scrolled down on the previous turn, it doesn't automatically scroll back up for the next turn. You can just scroll up on the blank area to see the new text.
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinejag View Post
    That happens if you scrolled down on the previous turn, it doesn't automatically scroll back up for the next turn. You can just scroll up on the blank area to see the new text.
    I expect that is the cause. I tried implementing "mojo.revealBottom" but it didn't seem to work on a scroller div within the screen. If anyone has a working example of this i'd appreciate it.
    Got a couple of bugs for ya. My apologies if the y have been brought up already.
    #1 When you get a luck/social circle card to proceed to "GO" you don't get paid for "passing go"
    #2 The card for the Beauty pageant says and pays $11 when, if I remember correctly, it should say and pay $110.
    #3 Pay School tax actually pays out $150 instead of you having to pay $150 to the bank.

Feature suggestions:
    #1 When offered a trade, give the user the option to go to the assets screen to see what properties are owned. I play often enough that sometime I forget what I have acquired during that particular game.
    #2 Allow direct entry for cash amounts along with sliders
    #3 Have "Themes" for the property names like "Colors", "Original" (if not restricted by copyrights). Maybe allow users to create and name their own themes.

FYI I'm not a programmer so I don't know what it takes to make these things happen. Just a user with some feedback.
    Last edited by -Bane-; 10/27/2009 at 05:57 PM.
    So I passed go and landed on taxes. I had $81 and now $281. It says "Pay 10% or $200", but takes $115 from me, leaving me with $166. I am failing to see how this adds up.

Also, a suggestion. On the trade screen, is it possible to color code the names of the properties? I find it's a bit difficult to associate the names with the properties, and unfortunately I've traded the wrong properties because of it.

That aside, I'm having fun so far, nice work!

[edit] I just found out that the text within one of the "Luck" cards says "Advance to St. Charles Place" but actually sends you to Parsons st.

[edit #2] I assume that this app is GNU open source, judging by the README and COPYING file included. Please forgive me if I'm wrong. I had a look at the code, and now I realize that one the "Pay 10% or $200" card, that is 10% of my money, property value, and house value. The logic seems good.
    Last edited by zx3junglist; 10/28/2009 at 06:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    fail you removed the best feature of the game, rolling going back and continuing to roll again!
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -Bane- View Post
    #2 The card for the Beauty pageant says and pays $11 when, if I remember correctly, it should say and pay $110.
    My memory was that it was a low amount (you are only finishing in second place after all) and according to this site, it's actually $11. There are some interesting localizations for these cards as you go around the world ... Chance and Community Chest cards

Quote Originally Posted by zx3junglist View Post
    [edit] I just found out that the text within one of the "Luck" cards says "Advance to St. Charles Place" but actually sends you to Parsons st.
    Hmmm ... I think you must've grown up playing one of the localized versions of the game. St. Charles Place is correctly in the Maroon 1 spot of the board (position #11 from the Go) and is the name in the standard American version. Which version contains Parsons St? I looked up Monopoly on Wikipedia and it had the US and UK versions, plus links to the dozens of localized versions (and I'm too lazy to go through all of them).
    Last edited by tc600; 10/28/2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added better link
    I was under the impression that the app author used Boston-area streets in place of the standard Monopoly ones, in avoidance of copyright issues. That's why I think the discrepancy is there. I may be wrong.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Where is the piece for the thimble? I just see a shadow moving around the board. And I can't seem to change my piece from the Dog, can anyone else?
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    Where is the piece for the thimble? I just see a shadow moving around the board. And I can't seem to change my piece from the Dog, can anyone else?
    My guess is the author couldn't find a good image for the thimble. As for changing your piece, you do that from the preferences. You can load up each piece and change the computer player "on" or "off". Just switch the Dog to a computer "on" and switch another piece to be computer "off". You can rename any piece as well, so you can give it your own name if you wish.

It keeps the piece numbering though, so if you only have three players going, you need to make the human player one of the first three pieces if you want to actually play (which I guess I should categorize as a needed feature). I grew up playing as the "car" and the only way you can do that with the current setup is to play with at least 6 players ...
    Thanks for the fun game. It's nice to see it improving so rapidly. Next to Dr Podder, I've used this app the most...sometimes while using Dr Podder

Bugs that I haven't seen mentioned:
    1. The rent for hoteled properties is doubled. For instance, landing on a hotel on Boardwalk should cost 2000, but it's getting charged 4000. The doubling of rents should only apply to non-improved properties of a monopoly.

2. On the 3rd roll in jail, if you don't get doubles, you should be required to pay $50 and move forward the number rolled. I've sat in jail for 10 turns just collecting rents. While that can be fun, it's not really in the rules.

3. The Chance and Community Chest cards are incomplete and innacurate. The text on some of the cards in innacurate - specifically the $12 tax and $11 beauty prize. Also, it seems like a some of the cards are missing, but I dont have a deck in front of me to check

4. The cards repeat themselves. It seems that the same cards come up frequently. I just played a game where the Chance street repair card came up twice in a row.

5. I was able to buy Park Place from a computer player even though he had hotels on it. I dont remember the price - maybe 2000ish - but after the trade, the assets board showed me owning Park Place with a hotel and Boat owning Boardwalk with a hotel.

Feedback that I haven't seen mentioned:
    1. Would be nice if the houses that were build actually showed on the board. Should be fairly trivial with the top down board and would make it easy to see the trouble spots.

2. Change the color of the pieces. Its hard to see them on certain squares - railroads in particular. Also, I second the request to remove their piece from the board when a player goes bankrupt.

I'm sure I'll come up with more, but that's enough for now. Thanks again for making this, it's a lotta fun for Monopoly freaks like me
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quick Bug:

I thought that if you rolled doubles to get out of jail, you did not get to roll again. However, if you roll doubles to get out of jail now, you can roll again and take another turn.

Is this a bug, or do I have the Monopoly rules wrong?

- X