Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi fellows,

For fun I've done a simple application that list your contacts, their birthdays and how many days left to the event. Hopefully it will be of use to someone else out there.

Download: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/birthdays

If you like it, please give it a rating!

Possible improvements:
    - change the list to a filterlist
    - generate a birthday calendar
    - do not show birthday-less contacts
    - improve speed
    - show contact picture
    - bug: some linked contacts doesn't work
    - bug: contacts that doesn't have displayname or firstname-lastname is displayed incorrectly
    - support for putting anniversaries in the Notes field

Revision history:

v.0.0.4:
    - first public release
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by d00heden; 10/04/2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added improvement suggestions
    jmelex likes this.
    Neat idea! It would be cool if you could somehow link with the greeting card application to send a birthday card to someone on their birthday.

Nice work!
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Great idea! I'm always forgetting birthdays, so I'm digging this app. I have a few suggestions:

1) Make it accept Facebook birthdays that don't include a year.
    2) Allow users to set reminders for important birthdays (a week in advance, a day in advance, the same day).
    3) Allow users to choose some birthdays to appear on the calendar
    4) Allow users to choose which birthdays to show when the app starts and which not to show in default view (with 100's of Facebook "friends" most birthdays are not important to see.

Anyway, great app, and I hope you have time and energy to add some enhancements. Thanks for making it!
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    great need that list.. thanks
    Now, thats a very useful app.

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
    Great idea! I'm always forgetting birthdays, so I'm digging this app. I have a few suggestions:

1) Make it accept Facebook birthdays that don't include a year.
    2) Allow users to set reminders for important birthdays (a week in advance, a day in advance, the same day).
    3) Allow users to choose some birthdays to appear on the calendar
    4) Allow users to choose which birthdays to show when the app starts and which not to show in default view (with 100's of Facebook "friends" most birthdays are not important to see.

Anyway, great app, and I hope you have time and energy to add some enhancements. Thanks for making it!
    1 & 4) I'm not using Facebook myself so I don't really know how the raw data for a FB contact looks like, but I'll have it in mind.

2 & 3) Calendars and reminders is on the list of future improvements.
    Last edited by d00heden; 09/27/2009 at 01:16 PM.
    Hey d00heden, this is great. It took a while for mines to get the birthdays maybe because of so many contacts. I noticed that you and haeffb collaborated on the agenda app. Is there any talk about merging this with agenda or at least letting agenda see the information so that one view would show everything? That would be the ultimate app.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Hey d00heden, this is great. It took a while for mines to get the birthdays maybe because of so many contacts. I noticed that you and haeffb collaborated on the agenda app. Is there any talk about merging this with agenda or at least letting agenda see the information so that one view would show everything? That would be the ultimate app.
    Well, not really. But I do have plans of generating a birthday calendar which should appear in Agenda.
    Oh ok I really like the format of this and being able to click on the date takes you to the contact, will the birthday calendar you are working do the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by d00heden View Post
    Well, not really. But I do have plans of generating a birthday calendar which should appear in Agenda.
    That will work perfectly, especially if the user gets to choose which contacts' birthdays to include in the Calendar. Might I suggest you add the age/year in the event subject or note?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Oh ok I really like the format of this and being able to click on the date takes you to the contact, will the birthday calendar you are working do the same?
    No, I assume it will open the birthday event. haeffb will need to do something about this... :-)
    Like the idea, but I have never been able to get palm pre and google to sync them correctly. if i enter in pre they do not show up on google and eventually go away on pre. I now only enter in my contact notes. Anyone else with this problem?
    Great! I have a lot of Facebook friends, and because of this, the app takes over a minute to load every birthday. A request I would like to see is something to speed up the amount of time it takes to load the birthdays (whether this be that the app saves all birthdays and then only reloads them upon a refresh...or only load the birthdays within a set amount of time..two weeks, 30 days, and then have pages to see the following birthdays.)
    nice app. perhaps a setting in the preferences to not display those contacts with no birthday information.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I imported my contacts from my Treo 755P and the program lists every single contact with the birthday of N/A. Cool concept though.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Awesome app!!! Would like to be able to
    1) just be able to add reminder right from the app
    2) be able to search right in the program for a particular person
    3) I am missing a contact in the program, only one I have found and they do have a birthday entered in, so maybe a bug fix on the program
    4) Be able to add birthdays manually
    Great app. Would be very helpful if you could have it only display contacts that have birthday information. Also to sync this birthday date into the Calendar.

Also I noticed that if you have linked contacts, such as a husband and wife, the app only picks up the birthday of the primary profile.

All in all a great App. Thanks
    Last edited by Johnlf; 09/28/2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Found soem additional information about the app
    Awesome awesome awesome! I couldn't believe there was no real use of birthday functionality in webos.... Loving this and would be happy to see it as a paid app if it could do reminders.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Great app. This will come in really handy.

How about adding an onscreen button for sorting by Name/Birthdate/days until/days since/age ?

Any chance you could add contact pics?

Right now the app shows a bunch of contacts at the bottom with no bday info. While this is great for seeing which contacts you might want to update, I don't need to see it every time. Could there be an option to also not show contacts without bday info.

How about notifications to pop up for birthday reminders. Maybe there could be an option to email, call, post on their facebook wall, or text the person birthday greetings when you get the reminder notification.

thanks

Brent
    Looks good, d00heden, but before I download it I have a question.

Does it place birthdays on your Pre calendar? As you probably noticed, the Pre will not allow you to enter dates that repeat annually. Your program might solve that problem.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast