Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    Like the idea, but I have never been able to get palm pre and google to sync them correctly. if i enter in pre they do not show up on google and eventually go away on pre. I now only enter in my contact notes. Anyone else with this problem?
    Yep this seems to be a bug. Hopefully this will be addressed in future WebOS upgrades.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by knickrox13 View Post
    Great! I have a lot of Facebook friends, and because of this, the app takes over a minute to load every birthday. A request I would like to see is something to speed up the amount of time it takes to load the birthdays (whether this be that the app saves all birthdays and then only reloads them upon a refresh...or only load the birthdays within a set amount of time..two weeks, 30 days, and then have pages to see the following birthdays.)
    Is it the load data that takes time? Unfortunately there is nothing in the API that gives you the ability to give a timespan so I need to extract the data from all contacts.

But I might do some kind of a cache, and that you need to manually refresh the list when you've added birthday data or new contacts.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmax View Post
    I imported my contacts from my Treo 755P and the program lists every single contact with the birthday of N/A. Cool concept though.
    Do they have a birthday entry if you open the contacts?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by weldonhd3 View Post
    Awesome app!!! Would like to be able to
    1) just be able to add reminder right from the app
    2) be able to search right in the program for a particular person
    3) I am missing a contact in the program, only one I have found and they do have a birthday entered in, so maybe a bug fix on the program
    4) Be able to add birthdays manually
    1&2) Already on the "Possible improvements" list
    3) Are you sure? Do you have other contacts of the same "type" (Google contacts, Palm profile etc.) that show up?
    4) Probably nothing fancier than what it is right now (when you tap on the name).
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    Looks good, d00heden, but before I download it I have a question.

Does it place birthdays on your Pre calendar? As you probably noticed, the Pre will not allow you to enter dates that repeat annually. Your program might solve that problem.
    Not at the moment, but it is on the "possible improvement list".
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d00heden View Post
    Do they have a birthday entry if you open the contacts?
    No, they do not.
  7.    #27  
    No, they do not.
    Then I guess you have the answer.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Then I guess you have the answer.
    I thought that it would parse the birthdays, and only show those entries. I do now see three entries with birthdays at the top of the list. It seems that I may have misunderstood what the program was doing. I didn't realize it was going to show all contacts after it parsed the list looking for b'days.

Perhaps I can make a couple of suggestions if they have not been made already?
    *Only show parsed results. *After the first parsing, store the b'day results in a dynamic file, and only show those names. It will be a lot faster. (It presently takes 74 seconds every time I open the app to get the results)
    If a user needs to refresh, they can do it manually.

Thanks in advance. Cool idea.
    How, or I guess I should say what/where, does it pull its info from for the birthdays? I noticed some of mine did not quite get pulled in from my contact list...

For example i know I have my wifes B-Day in the contacts...just double checked too...August 31st....but it doesnt show up in the list...says N/A??? My dad April 1 does the same thing???

Most of the facebook ones did come in as long as they entered a year and a date.

UPDATE 1: I think it has something to do with linking of contacts...I have her for my Palm profile and facebook...and since contacts has the year and facebook not I think that is confusing it...in fact think it confused my contacts in WebOS too...as it makes it grayed out and uneditable...DOH!!!

UPDATE 2: It is the facebook sync that causes it...once I unlinked the Facebook the birthday is editible BUT still does not show up in the Birthday App list...except with N/A.
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 09/29/2009 at 03:58 PM.
  10.    #30  
    I thought that it would parse the birthdays, and only show those entries. I do now see three entries with birthdays at the top of the list. It seems that I may have misunderstood what the program was doing. I didn't realize it was going to show all contacts after it parsed the list looking for b'days.
    Yes, I thought it was a good idea to show the items without birthdays as well so they easily could be transformed to contacts with birthday data.

Perhaps I can make a couple of suggestions if they have not been made already?
    *Only show parsed results. *After the first parsing, store the b'day results in a dynamic file, and only show those names. It will be a lot faster. (It presently takes 74 seconds every time I open the app to get the results)
    If a user needs to refresh, they can do it manually.

Thanks in advance. Cool idea.
    Oh, 74 seconds? How many contacts do you have (roughly)? Since I don't have the phone myself (still waiting for the GSM version) I've only run it in the emulator (and there its quite snappy). But I obviously need to take a look at the speed. Is it slow for the rest of you as well?

BTW. I have a small list with some of the suggestions from this thread in the first post.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    How, or I guess I should say what/where, does it pull its info from for the birthdays? I noticed some of mine did not quite get pulled in from my contact list...

For example i know I have my wifes B-Day in the contacts...just double checked too...August 31st....but it doesnt show up in the list...says N/A???

Most of the facebook ones did.
    It uses an undocumented service call, but it looks like it is the same as the stock contact application uses.

Do you have command line access (or "root" access) on your phone?
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    UPDATE: I think it has something to do with linking of contacts...I have her for my Palm profile and facebook...and since contacts has the year and facebook not I think that is confusing it...in fact think it confused my contacts in WebOS too...as it makes it grayed out and uneditable...DOH!!!
    Oh, I just remembered that took a small short-cut when it comes to the linked contacts. I'll add it to the issue list. Thanks.
    It uses an undocumented service call, but it looks like it is the same as the stock contact application uses.

Do you have command line access (or "root" access) on your phone?
    My Phone is non-rooted.

The date format was set up by the contacts in the Pre so most show:

MMM DD, YYYY

So a bit confused from what you said of why it is not pulling in...if it pulls from one contact is should on all...unless it is only the linking of contacts causing the issue. Most of the ones I checked that didnt get pulled in are linked to other profiles.

Thanks for the prompt response BTW.
    How many contacts do you have (roughly)? Since I don't have the phone myself (still waiting for the GSM version) I've only run it in the emulator (and there its quite snappy). But I obviously need to take a look at the speed. Is it slow for the rest of you as well?
    I have over 200 contacts, none of the facebook. I didn't time it but I'd say it took 20-30 seconds to parse the list. Maybe longer. Heck it still takes about 10-20 seconds to load the list when I start the program. You definately need a spinner widget going there.

Also, I have some business with birthdays (opening days) in there that show up in my list but the names are "undefined undefined" since I don't have first and last names for them. Could you maybe check for a business name if the first&last are undefined?

Thanks for the way cool app. This could toatly go in the catalog and you could charge for it (.99 cents would be my recommendation, thought it might sell for 1.99 or 2.99) Heck, I'd probably pay 1.99 for it.

Anyway, great start, keep up the good work.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Oh, 74 seconds? How many contacts do you have (roughly)? .
    I stopped counting when I got to the L's. I was at about 540. Probably over 1 thousand total? I've had the Palm in some fashion or another for at least 12 years, and have all my business as well as personal contacts stored.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks again!
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    I have over 200 contacts, none of the facebook. I didn't time it but I'd say it took 20-30 seconds to parse the list. Maybe longer. Heck it still takes about 10-20 seconds to load the list when I start the program. You definately need a spinner widget going there.
    I'll probably change it so you'll need to do a manual refresh when you have added new contacts and use a local cache otherwise.

Right now, for 200 contacts, there is around 220 service calls so it's bound to go slow.

Also, I have some business with birthdays (opening days) in there that show up in my list but the names are "undefined undefined" since I don't have first and last names for them. Could you maybe check for a business name if the first&last are undefined?
    I've added it to the list. Since this is an undocumented API I use my contacts to test with so I'll miss these kinds of errors. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the way cool app. This could toatly go in the catalog and you could charge for it (.99 cents would be my recommendation, thought it might sell for 1.99 or 2.99) Heck, I'd probably pay 1.99 for it.

Anyway, great start, keep up the good work.
    Thanks! I'll probably not charge anything for it in the future. I like free applications and use a lot of them myself so this is just a small "return" to the community.
  17.    #37  
    I stopped counting when I got to the L's. I was at about 540. Probably over 1 thousand total? I've had the Palm in some fashion or another for at least 12 years, and have all my business as well as personal contacts stored.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks again!
    Oh, I think I need to stop coding and increase my friends count instead... :-)
    Okay....I have a stupid question. I use Google calendar to sync with the pre. If I have a husband and wife, how do I enter both of their birthdays? I seem to be able to only input one date. Am I missing something. Would be great with this program to have all birthdays, but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for the help!
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by remmysmom View Post
    Okay....I have a stupid question. I use Google calendar to sync with the pre. If I have a husband and wife, how do I enter both of their birthdays? I seem to be able to only input one date. Am I missing something. Would be great with this program to have all birthdays, but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for the help!
    Don't really understand the question. If you have them as separate contacts you should be able to set birthdays on both. Or are you using the "Spouse" field?
    test
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast