Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    David and I will be publishing FlightLog - the aviators flight log (pulled out the flight log functionality from FlightBriefer for those who do not want/need the full FlightBriefer functionality).

Should be ready shortly... patience appreciated!

AnsonD & adsllc
    Last edited by ansond; 09/26/2009 at 09:14 AM.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Have at it.

Already received some great feedback on new functionality:
    - abbreviated view by default - click for details
    - import and export function (to/from CSV files)
    - entry edit function

Feedback appreciated.

Doug
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Just released v0.5.0
    - ability to edit existing log entries (click on the entry to edit it)
    - new summary view by default
    - new fields ETA and EFT
    - Added new subtypes CIV and MIL to the aircraft subtype list

Comments/Feedback appreciated!
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    v0.6.0
    - Added LTA type for balloon folks

v0.7.0 is now out
    - Added totals feature - check the log entries and see a sum total of them.

Comments/feedback appreciated.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Do you guys have any plans to make this more pro pilot friendly? I need a program that can calculate duty and rest times, can import schedules, etc.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Folks:

David and I have released v0.8.0 - mostly a sync release with FlightBriefer. There were some good updates made to the flight log entry and edit function to prepopulate some of the entries if you use HOBBS times.

Enjoy.

AnsonD/adsllc
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    FYI, FlightLog has been promoted to the Palm Catalog! Aside from the appid changing, the app is the exact same one as the latest version here in homebrew (v1.0.3).

Regards,

Doug
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Hi:

Below are some sample instructions on backing up and restoring your flightlog database.

For sake of example, the instructions are based upon the following task:
    • I am going to backup my flightlog database from the FlightBriefer application
    • I am going to restore my flightlog database into the FlightLog application

Also, for the sake of example, I am using Windows on my PC. Linux and Mac should also work.

First, I recommend you download and install the Firefox browser – that is what I start with.

You will also download and install a plug-in into your Firefox browser called “SQLite Manager”.

SQLite Manager will be the tool that is used to perform the actual database backup and restore.

Let’s get started.

To Backup:
    1. Download and install the SQLite Manager plug-in for the Firefox browser
    2. Connect your Pre to your desktop via USB –select “USB Drive” mode
    • In this example, I assume the Pre as a USB drive gets mounted as “E:” (again, for Windows)
    3. Launch the SQLite Manager from within Firefox (Its under the Tools menu)
    4. From the SQLite Manager top menu, select: Database->Connect Database
    5. Navigate to something like this: “E:\.app-storage\file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.ansonworks.flightbriefer-palm_0”
    6. Select “All Files” in the lower right hand corner of the current window you are navigating in
    7. You may see 2 files (for FlightBriefer, you *may* see 2 files – a one big and a one small one) – open the *small* one
    8. If successfully opened, you should see a “Tables” drop down on the left with 3 tables – one of them is called “flightlog”
    • If you don’t see that table, go back to 7) and open the “other” file…
    9. Select “flightlog” and go to Table->Export Table from the top menu
    10. Choose “SQL” and leave both check boxes unchecked
    11. Make sure the top of the Export wizard says something like this: “Database: Main Name of the table: flightlog”
    12. Press the OK button – The next window should allow you to choose a location on your PC and give you the option to name your export file.
    13. Select a location *on your PC* and name the file something like “flightbriefer-flightlog-backup-11_25.sql” (suffix is important –make sure its “.sql”)
    14. Press Save.
    15. Back at the SQLite Manger top level menu, select “Database->Close Database”

Your Flightlog database should now be backed up.

To Restore:
    1. Follow steps 1), 2), 3) and 4) as in the Backup section (again, in this example, I assume my Pre gets mounted as “E:” for Windows)
    2. Navigate to something like this: “E:\.app-storage\.app-storage\file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.ansonworks.flightlog-palm_0”
    3. You should see 1 file (for the Flightlog app there is only one – a small one) – open the small one
    4. From the left hand “Tables” dropdown, select “flightlog”
    5. Now, from the SQLite Manager top menu, select “Database->Import”
    6. Press “Select File” and choose the backup file that you saved above (i.e. “flightbriefer-flightlog-backup-11_25.sql”)
    7. Select the SQL tab and ensure the checkbox is unchecked.
    8. Press the OK button – you should get a confirmation dialog – confirm that as well
    9. If the import succeeded, you should get a notice on the import wizard that your entries were successfully imported into the flightlog table.
    10. Back at the SQLite Manger top level menu, select “Database->Close Database”
    11. Launch FlightLog and confirm that your log entries are now visible there and can be manipulated.

Your Flightlog database is now restored.

Enjoy!

Doug
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Update 12/10 - Unfortunately, my "sorting" routine does not work as expected. I am also having issues with the palm catalog submitter... so apologies for the confusion. I need to rethink how I can sort these log entries and will make an other update soon. Doug

Happy Holiday!

I am very happy to have released to the Palm catalog FlightLog v1.0.5.

v1.0.5 brings one new feature:
    - Flight log "view" now sorts automatically by date (multiple users requested this)

As soon as Palm reviews the submission, it should be available for download from the Palm catalog. Enjoy!

Hoping everyone has a safe and happy holiday...

Regards,

Doug
    Last edited by ansond; 12/10/2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Comment about delays and issue with sorting
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Happy to (finally!) announce v1.0.7 - sorry for the wait:
    - Sorting of the flight log now works - you can sort when you view the log entries. Your two sort options are to sort starting with the earliest date in the log, or the latest.

I've also added some additional aircraft types (heli, glider, Weight Shift, etc..) for your selection enjoyment. Enjoy and happy holiday.

Doug
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Happy to announce that v1.0.7 is now in homebrew:
    - Sorting of the flight log now works - you can sort ascending or decending by log entry date.
    - Added aircraft types (heli, glider, etc...).

Enjoy!

Doug
    I have the same question as a few posts ago and I didn't see an answer for this. But are you guys planning on adding features that would make this better suited for professional pilots. If you're not sure what type is important I'll be able to let you know but some basics would be
    1. ability to work on the Pixi (most important to me since I have the Pixi)
    2. ability to track duty/rest and max flight time issues
    3. ability to import schedules
    4. ability to log "block time" in hh:mm format
    5. ability to track pay
    6. ability to export data into computer log book programs (not important to me since I still use a paper master logbook, but lots of guys I fly with use computer logbooks now).

There was a great program that worked with the old Palm OS, but the guy that made it doesn't seem very interested in getting it transferred over to Web OS any time soon. I know a lot of guys including myself miss that program and there is a great deal of interest to get something similar for web OS.