Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    MTG Counter is a life counter app for MAGIC THE GATHERING card playing game.

This is just a simple app that helps you keep track of your life as well as three other players.
    The app has a list of Keywords used in the game with corresponding definitions for each.

It also has two link buttons One for the Gatherer a Card Database were you can look up a specific card, and one for the main web site.

This app will remain free unless I do some major changes which I don't see as a possibility.
    Thanks. I am a MTG player as well. Can you add some more keywords, especially from the newer sets? If you need help let me know, I will be more than happy to compile them for you just PM/email me
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Sure I thought I had all the new ones but if you lead me in the right direction then I will add them.
    Oh man this is a great idea! As a new magic player myself, having the keyword list is pretty nifty. One suggestion I have is to plug the car viewer thing into the app like you did with the keywords. What I mean is clicking cards brings up a new page in the app where you can type in the name, or search for specific colors, abilities, etc. that way you don't go to the webpage, have to zoom in, type it all in, load a new webpage. It would load quicker, and look niftier.

EDIT: Also, non-core keywords would be nice. Especially since with M10 released, deathtouch should fall in the category(Deadly Recluse), yet it doesn't.
    Last edited by pychozoundz; 09/24/2009 at 08:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Your right I don't know How I missed death-touch. I got my info off of Wikipedia should have know better.
    I will work on that right away and I like the idea of another scene where you put your info in. Actually was already thinking about that just not sure how to do that yet.
    Do you want me to PM you keywords or post in the thread? I would use the 2010 "comprehensive rules". It has tons of info that could be added.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtaylor View Post
    Your right I don't know How I missed death-touch. I got my info off of Wikipedia should have know better.
    I will work on that right away and I like the idea of another scene where you put your info in. Actually was already thinking about that just not sure how to do that yet.
    I might be able to help you out with how to implement it. If you look at the Gatherer's page source you can see the variable names for the search box, and check boxes. All you have to do is take those names and send your variables to the appropriate page. For example, have a search box in your app, and when you type "elf" it sends that variable to:
    gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[$yoursearchbox]

For exact matches it pulls the page up based on ID, I assume from a MySQL table or something like that. So I'm not sure if you can make it pull an exact page, but it could still show the page showing the cards containing what you put in, or cards like it using the idea I listed above. As far as writing the code, I'm not much of a help as I was only starting to use JavaScript during my coding years. If WebOS was PHP based I'd be all over this app and many many others. :/

EDIT: gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[elf] shows all elf cards. But if you do something like this:
    gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[runeclaw]+[bear] it actually goes to the Runeclaw Bear card. So sending your search box to their search page should actually be quite easy.

EDIT^2: For an additional example, if instead of card name you wanted to search type and color, it'd be this if you were searching for a creature:
    gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?type=+[creature]||subtype=+[creature]&color=+[W]
    A checkbox named type(and also subtype I suppose) and one named color.
    Last edited by pychozoundz; 09/24/2009 at 09:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    TechFirst. You can try PMing me or in the post is fine as well. Thanks

Deathtouch is added and should be uploaded tonight or tomarrow

pychozoundz thanks that gets me started. I am very new to this as well and love the help. Thanks I will start on this but must admit it might take some time.
    Not sure if you want to narrow it down to "type 2" keywords or not but here is a hefty list to start with.

edit: Thinned out list, Updated with Definitions...

Convoke: As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may tap any number of untapped creatures you control. Each creature tapped this way reduces the cost to cast this spell by {1} or by one mana of any of that creature’s colors.”

Champion: When this permanent enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you exile another [object] you control. and: When this permanent leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner’s control.

Changeling: This object is every creature type. This ability works everywhere, even outside the game.

Deathtouch: A keyword ability seen on permanents. Creatures dealt damage by a permanent with deathtouch are destroyed. Also, if a creature with deathtouch blocks multiple creatures in combat, its controller can divide its combat damage among those attackers however he or she wants.

Defender: Creatures with defender can’t attack.

Double Strike: Creatures with double strike deal their combat damage twice.

Evoke: You may cast this card by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost” and When this permanent enters the battlefield, if its evoke cost was paid, its controller sacrifices it.

Exalted: Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

Exile: To exile an object, move it to the exile zone from wherever it is.

Fear: A creature with fear can’t be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or black creatures.

First Strike: Creatures with first strike deal their combat damage before creatures without first strike.

Flanking: Whenever this creature becomes blocked by a creature without flanking, the blocking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.

Flash: A keyword ability seen on creatures, artifacts, and enchantments. A spell with flash can be cast any time you could cast an instant.

Flashback: You may cast this card from your graveyard by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost”. and: If the flashback cost was paid, exile this card instead of putting it anywhere else any time it would leave the stack.

Flying A creature with flying can’t be blocked except by creatures with flying and/or reach.

Haste: A creature with haste can attack as soon as it comes under your control. You
    can also activate its activated abilities with "Tap Symbol" in the cost.

Hideaway: This permanent enters the battlefield tapped. and: When this permanent enters the battlefield, look at the top four cards of your library. Exile one of them face down and put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order. The exiled card gains: Any player who has controlled the permanent that exiled this card may look at this card in the exile zone.

Indestructible: An indestructible permanent can’t be destroyed by damage or by effects that say “destroy.” They can still be put into the graveyard for other reasons. See the glossary entry for “Destroy.”

Intimidate: A creature with intimidate can’t be blocked except by creatures that share
    a color with it and/or artifact creatures.

Kicker: [cost] means You may pay an additional [cost] as you cast this spell.

Landwalk: Landwalk is the name for a group of keyword abilities that includes plainswalk, islandwalk, swampwalk, mountainwalk, and forestwalk. A creature with landwalk
    is unblockable if the defending player controls at least one land of the specified type.

Lifelink: Damage dealt by a permanent with lifelink causes that permanent’s
    controller to gain that much life, in addition to behaving like normal damage.

Madness: A keyword that represents two abilities. The first is a static ability that functions while the card with madness is in a player’s hand. The second is a triggered ability that functions when the first ability is applied. “Madness [cost]” means “If a player would discard this card, that player discards it, but may exile it instead of putting it into his or her graveyard” and “When this card is exiled this way, its owner may cast it by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost. If that player doesn’t, he or she puts this card into his or her graveyard.”

Morph: A static ability that functions in any zone from which you could play the card it’s on, and the morph effect works any time the card is face down. “Morph [cost]” means “You may cast this card as a 2/2 face-down creature, with no text, no name, no subtypes, no expansion symbol, and no mana cost by paying {3} rather than paying its mana cost.”

Persist: When this permanent is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner’s control with a -1/-1 counter on it.

Protection: A creature with protection will always have “protection from ________.”
    That something is what the creature is protected from.

Provoke: Whenever this creature attacks, you may choose to have target creature defending player controls block this creature this combat if able. If you do, untap that creature.

Prowl: You may pay [cost] rather than pay this spell’s mana cost if a player was dealt combat damage this turn by a source that, at the time it dealt that damage, was under your control and had any of this spell’s creature types.

Reach: A creature with reach can block a creature with flying. Note that a creature with reach can be blocked by any kind of creature.

Recover: When a creature is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may pay [cost]. If you do, return this card from your graveyard to your hand. Otherwise, exile this card.

Regenerate: The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it and tap it. If it’s an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat.

Shadow: A creature with shadow can’t be blocked by creatures without shadow, and a creature without shadow can’t be blocked by creatures with shadow.

Shroud: A permanent with shroud can’t be the target of spells or abilities—not
    even your own.

Split Second: As long as this spell is on the stack, players can’t cast other spells
    or activate abilities that aren’t mana abilities.

Trample: Trample is an ability that lets a creature deal excess damage to the player or
    planeswalker it’s attacking even if it’s blocked.

Transfigure: Sacrifice this permanent: Search your library for a creature card with the same converted mana cost as this permanent and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.”

Unblockable: If an attacking creature is unblockable, it’s impossible for the defending player to block it with a creature.

Vigilance: When a creature with vigilance attacks, it doesn’t become tapped.

Wither: Damage dealt to a creature by a source with wither isn’t marked on that creature. Rather, it causes that many -1/-1 counters to be put on that creature.
    Last edited by TechFirstAid; 09/25/2009 at 09:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    WOW that's a list! I will work on how best to handle it or break them up.

Deathtouch should be there once the moderator approves 0.1.2
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtaylor View Post
    WOW that's a list! I will work on how best to handle it or break them up.

Deathtouch should be there once the moderator approves 0.1.2
    Some of these are old, but most are relevant with in the last few sets. BTW, I edited the list to be alphabetical.
    Long time player and could see legit use of app...
    - Add more players (even just up to 6 would be great)
    - Ability to name players (or add colors/icons to help distinguish)
    - If possible, add player killed by (name/color/icon)

Just a few suggestions but nice app.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfguido View Post
    Long time player and could see legit use of app...
    - Add more players (even just up to 6 would be great)
    - Ability to name players (or add colors/icons to help distinguish)
    - If possible, add player killed by (name/color/icon)

Just a few suggestions but nice app.
    Still new to this so I will give that a try after adding some more keywords. Thanks for the ideas
    Just wanted to let you know, double strike does not give the creature a first strike attack. it just does it's damage twice. But all in all awesome app and thanks!
    Huh? I'm pretty sure double strike does give a creature a first strike attack. It deals First Strike damage and then normal damage.
    Bump...

I updated my contribution to keywords with definitions in post #9
    wow, makes me want to break out my MTG cards and start playing again, but sadly I know no one else who plays it anymore, and I have not even played it in over 10 years so I ant even remember how to play it... lol
    Here is the rulings on Double strike:

Double strike
    A keyword ability seen on creatures. Creatures with doublestrike deal their combat damage twice. When you reach the combat damage step, check to see if any attacking or blocking creatures have first strike or double strike. If so, an extra combat damage step is created just for them. Only creatures with first strike and double strike get to deal combat damage in this step. After that, the normal combat damage step happens. All remaining attacking and blocking creatures, as well as the ones with double strike, deal combat damage during this second step.

702.4a Double strike is a static ability that modifies the rules for the combat damage step. (See rule 510, “Combat Damage Step.”)

702.4b If at least one attacking or blocking creature has first strike (see rule 702.7) or double strike as the combat damage step begins, the only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are those with first strike or double strike. After that step, instead of proceeding to the end of combat step, the phase gets a second combat damage step. The only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are the remaining attackers and blockers that didn’t have first strike as the first combat damage step began, as well as the remaining attackers and blockers that currently have double strike. After that step, the phase proceeds to the end of combat step.

702.4c Removing double strike from a creature during the first combat damage step will stop it from assigning combat damage in the second combat damage step.

702.4d Giving double strike to a creature with first strike after it has already put first strike combat damage onto the stack in the first combat damage step will allow the creature to assign combat damage in the second combat damage step.

702.4e Multiple instances of double strike on the same creature are redundant.
    Last edited by TechFirstAid; 09/25/2009 at 10:32 PM.
    First, thank you, this app is great, I used to have a memo on my centro dedicated to keeping track of MTG HP and counters.

I don't know how you would handle this, and I don't know if you ever intend to put in this much work. If you do however, some features that would be great (though hopefully not overcrowding what is, I must say, a beautifully straightforward interface.)

*a check box that would add a poison-counter, counter.

*Logging (this would require you to enter player names, and deck names) which would help keep track of win/lose ratios. A graph would be more than awesome but obviously unless there is some nice pre-formated code out there for making one, not worth it.

*A new tab for keeping track of creature counters with a "new turn" button that would do the appropriate counter operation (I know this is getting complicated but: you name a creature [text box] and list a counter type [vanishing, cumulative upkeep (would have to enter the upkeep type)] and when you press new turn it ads, or subtracts one and in the case of upkeep gives you the combined cumulative upkeep of all your creatures as a mana cost. I know it would be rarely useful but you haven't seen my blue white decks

Ok, so that last one would probably never be worth it... but the poison-counter counter would be nice and logging would be amazing! Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Hey, Thanks for the app.

An added feature that I think would be useful is game totals.
    Since alot of events are best 2 out of 3 matches, it would be nice to count those as well. I suppose we could just use player 3 and 4 for that except the counter doesn't have 0, but since you're writing the app, might as well have a more legit method.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast