Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by though View Post
    2 VERY important things about this awesome app!

1. can you make it so it toggles between, Sprint Only, Roam Only, and Automatic? I would really like 'Sprint Only" in there...

2. when you have it toggled to 'Roam Only' make it so data roaming is ENABLED at the same time. this is pretty worthless without it, since people won't be able to send/receive emails, browse web, use pandora, etc, etc without that.

GREAT APP by the way, thanks for your work
    It wouldn't be RoamOnly Toggle if he made it do the other options. Would have to be a different app.

Also, this doesn't change my data roaming option, data roaming remains on when toggling this option on and off. Which is a good thing.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    when i am on 'sprint only' and i hit the roam only toggle, it switches it to roam only but data is disabled. not good.
  3.    #23  
    Thanks all for the positive feedback.

I understand the desire for different behaviors, but this was really meant to be a very simple app which solved a single problem. It has no UI and saves no data.

I can't make any promises because of my limited time. I posted the code so that maybe someone else could try to develop other solutions, such as a more elaborate app, or a patch for the WebOS menu.
    Thanks Samkim,something this simple really makes a big difference to some of us.I didnt think anyone would really fool with the idea after bringing it up.So again,thanks.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    This worked great today at my office where coverage is horrible. I usually have to keep my device connected to power source all day otherwise it will lose battery life before noon. Now that I can lock it on Roam Only, I didn't have to do that.

I know this option was available before via the tweak alone, but I never pursued it until I saw this app. Thanks!
  6.    #26  
    Glad to have helped.
    I took the plunge and tried this with WebOS 1.2. Seems to work great!

Thank you so much for making this. If I was more inclined and in an ideal world, I'd love for this thing to detect when I was within a mile of my house and activate roam only there, and deactivate it when I leave.

Unfortunately I just don't have the technical ability to make that change. I know Java, but not Javascript. Maybe one day!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I constantly have to restart my phone to get this app to function correctly. 9/10 times i select the toggle button, it changes but my actual settings do not, and i have to go through the phone menus again.
    Whats happening to cause this?
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by bvinci1 View Post
    I constantly have to restart my phone to get this app to function correctly. 9/10 times i select the toggle button, it changes but my actual settings do not, and i have to go through the phone menus again.
    Whats happening to cause this?
    Are you using WebOS 1.1 or 1.2?

And do you have the RoamOnly tweak installed, and have you tested that it works separately? That is, can you go into Phone prefs and switch back and forth between Roam Only and Sprint Only without a problem?

My app just sends the same instructions to the phone that the Phone prefs screen does. I know that the switch can be "rejected" sometimes by the carrier for some unknown reason, but that wouldn't be unique to my app, afaikafaikafaik.

Also, the app should change the icon only after getting confirmation from the phone that the change was successful...
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Yes I have the tweak installed. And using WebOs 1.1.
    I do have the icon moved to the quick launch bar. It does seem like the roam only app does not like any other app to be used until the switch has finished. It appears to stop the actual change in the phone but the icon for the roam only app icon will show that it has changed.

I uninstalled it,rebooted and re-installed it, we'll see if that takes care of it.

Thanks
  11.    #31  
    Hmm, I don't think other apps should interfere with the toggle...

Not sure if this point is relevant to your situation, but note that the phone prefs screen doesn't get automatically updated if you have it open while you toggle with my app. That is, the phone's roam setting will actually change but the phone prefs screen will show the wrong info. If you close and reopen the phone prefs screen, it'll show the correct setting.
    Hi, I'm with Bell. I install the roam only tweak and your great app! Thanks!
    With roam only on, my internet is way faster but my phone doesn't work..no signal. Why's that??
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by turbobo View Post
    Hi, I'm with Bell. I install the roam only tweak and your great app! Thanks!
    With roam only on, my internet is way faster but my phone doesn't work..no signal. Why's that??
    It could be that the app is causing an error in the phone. Or it could be something to do with the non-Bell carrier in your area.

Please test out the roam only tweak separately from the app. That is, go into Phone preferences, and manually switch back and forth between roam only and Bell only to see if it's working properly. You may need to reset the phone first to clear out any errors.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I tried installing the roam only tweak after updating to 1.2. Seems it wouldn't install as it could find a file destination or something to that effect. I guess I'll wait and see what the developer says before I try it again.
  15.    #35  
    WebOS Quick Install verifies the phone prefs file before applying the RoamOnly tweak, so it shouldn't work on the updated OS until the tweak is modified.

I tested out the tweak on my phone, manually editing the file, and it works fine. And RoamOnly Toggle works fine as well.

For most people, I'd recommend waiting until the tweak is updated. I'm not sure who "owns" it, but I imagine it shouldn't take very long.
    If you know your way around the command line I updated my romeonly patch script tonight for 1.2

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ost-1-1-a.html
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Roam only is awesome. I am in an area where coverage is horrible at best and before this my battery was drained to 30% each day before noon. Now i am around 80% at noon!!
  18.    #38  
    I've updated the original post to reflect that this app seems to work fine in WebOS 1.2 without the RoamOnly tweak. Previously, the phone would have difficulty getting a connection. I don't know whether there was a fix in 1.2, or something else was going on.

I still strongly recommend installing the RoamOnly tweak when it's available because otherwise, the Phone Preferences screen will not recognize Roam Only mode and will inaccurately report that it is in Sprint Only mode.

If your phone has trouble connecting to the network, just restart the device. If the problem is persistent, please report here.
    Great app.

Would it be possible for someone to add the ability to have it switch on automatically? Either by GPS or having it detect when there is only 1 Sprint bar and a much better roaming connection.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    This is awesome!! You have saved me from getting rid of my Pre! I have no Sprint connection in my apartment every since I got the Pre. I am also one of the unlucky who could not get the tweeks to work on my phone, but I downloaded this app and now I can talk till my heart is content NO DROPPED CALLS!!! Yippeeee I can keep my Pre!!! Thanks so much!!!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast