Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    This is a great app. The location data is working very well and updating about every 20 mins if i move. It has updated several times today as i was driving around and everytime it has been very close to where i am.

I have exerienced no bugs so far with the app running or in the background. I will post back if i find anything out of the ordinary.

I know we are not supposed to talk about new features but i had a few in mind. Most have been covered already including the past history(very important) A password to disable or uninstall app(again very important) and a forced update from the website(Great Idea)

I was wondering if there is a way to hide the app completly. Right now there is a app in the launcher pages that says "Where is my Pre"

This makes it very obvious to the thief that the phone may be being tracked and he will shut the phone down and do god knows what.

If there was a code to make the icon apper again that would be a great addition to the app. If the thief knows about the app and he is smart enough he will shut the phone off. But if it is running in the background and there is no app displayed he will never know that he is being tracked until he is busted using the phone. Since the app only works when the phone is on then we need to make sure it stays on and he thinks he got away with a new Pre.

The idea that comes to mind is either make it like developer mode and you have to enter a certain combination of keys to make the app appear or use a dummy app and name but require a password to even open the app. Maybe make this an option as some people are just not smart enough to do that or dont want it. For me I would want the thief to think he got away scott free until i show up at his door.

Say you name it "Sync" or something that has nothing to do with location or tracking. Then make a new app icon related to whatever you are calling it. Then when the app is clicked on it asks for a user name and password or just a passkey. Once you get into the app you can shut down the service or uninstall it etc.

I have noticed that if the thief does not know that the item (whatever it may be) is protected then they will suspect it is not and use it freely. If it had a big warning on it saying that it can be tracked they are gonna either ditch it ( throw it out the window of a moving car type thing) or shut it off and research a way to get it off the phone.

Just my idea.

Thanks for the great app,
    James
    Last edited by Zippy-man; 09/24/2009 at 08:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy-man View Post
    This is a great app. The location data is working very well and updating about every 20 mins if i move. It has updated several times today as i was driving around and everytime it has been very close to where i am.

I have exerienced no bugs so far with the app running or in the background. I will post back if i find anything out of the ordinary.

I know we are not supposed to talk about new features but i had a few in mind. Most have been covered already including the past history(very important) A password to disable or uninstall app(again very important) and a forced update from the website(Great Idea)

I was wondering if there is a way to hide the app completly. Right now there is a app in the launcher pages that says "Where is my Pre"

This makes it very obvious to the thief that the phone may be being tracked and he will shut the phone down and do god knows what.

If there was a code to make the icon apper again that would be a great addition to the app. If the thief knows about the app and he is smart enough he will shut the phone off. But if it is running in the background and there is no app displayed he will never know that he is being tracked until he is busted using the phone. Since the app only works when the phone is on then we need to make sure it stays on and he thinks he got away with a new Pre.

The idea that comes to mind is either make it like developer mode and you have to enter a certain combination of keys to make the app appear or use a dummy app and name but require a password to even open the app. Maybe make this an option as some people are just not smart enough to do that or dont want it. For me I would want the thief to think he got away scott free until i show up at his door.

Say you name it "Sync" or something that has nothing to do with location or tracking. Then make a new app icon related to whatever you are calling it. Then when the app is clicked on it asks for a user name and password or just a passkey. Once you get into the app you can shut down the service or uninstall it etc.

I have noticed that if the thief does not know that the item (whatever it may be) is protected then they will suspect it is not and use it freely. If it had a big warning on it saying that it can be tracked they are gonna either ditch it ( throw it out the window of a moving car type thing) or shut it off and research a way to get it off the phone.

Just my idea.

Thanks for the great app,
    James
    Security is a huge factor in this app. I am definitely working on ways to either hide the icon or make the app uninstallable.

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll keep you posted

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Those of you that installed this on your wife's Palm Pre.. how many did it without telling them! All in fun of course. Now let's see where she is...
    Quote Originally Posted by fareal View Post
    those of you that installed this on your wife's palm pre.. How many did it without telling them! All in fun of course. Now let's see where she is...
    lmao I thought of it haha
    Kind of disappointing, and re-enforces the need for a forced locate function:

My pre was sitting next to me all night when I was sleeping, and the app failed to update the location for at least 7 hours. The location was off by about a mile, on what looks to my the exact spot of my old apartment. This may be because that is where google used to think my wireless router was, but no longer is. The phone was not relying on a GPS signal, which it could have easily have gotten, but solely relying on wifi. Not good. I have found googles estimation of wifi access points to be hundreds of miles off. This has to change in the future

Opening google maps for 10 seconds forced the phone to find my REAL GPS position, and not this old wifi data. Is there a way to force the app to look for a GPS signal for a longer period of time?

EDIT: I have a possible reason why the app is doing this. I recently moved across town, but I kept my SSID on my router the same. I believe the pre might have logged the GPS location of the router at my old location, and never updated it, as that is not the kind of thing that moves around much. I have deleted the AP from my pre and re-added it. Hopefully, the pre will log the GPS location of the AP again, and be correct for now on. I will be testing this over the next few hours.
    Last edited by Yankees368; 09/25/2009 at 07:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Kind of disappointing, and re-enforces the need for a forced locate function:

My pre was sitting next to me all night when I was sleeping, and the app failed to update the location for at least 7 hours. The location was off by about a mile, on what looks to my the exact spot of my old apartment. This may be because that is where google used to think my wireless router was, but no longer is. The phone was not relying on a GPS signal, which it could have easily have gotten, but solely relying on wifi. Not good. I have found googles estimation of wifi access points to be hundreds of miles off. This has to change in the future

Opening google maps for 10 seconds forced the phone to find my REAL GPS position, and not this old wifi data. Is there a way to force the app to look for a GPS signal for a longer period of time?

EDIT: I have a possible reason why the app is doing this. I recently moved across town, but I kept my SSID on my router the same. I believe the pre might have logged the GPS location of the router at my old location, and never updated it, as that is not the kind of thing that moves around much. I have deleted the AP from my pre and re-added it. Hopefully, the pre will log the GPS location of the AP again, and be correct for now on. I will be testing this over the next few hours.
    I don't believe the Pre does things such as logs the lat/lon of an SSID. There is a way to have the app search for a GPS signal for longer before it gives up. I will put that in the next release.

Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post
    I don't believe the Pre does things such as logs the lat/lon of an SSID. There is a way to have the app search for a GPS signal for longer before it gives up. I will put that in the next release.
    Excellent. I really do think that this is the problem though. My laptop, through google maps location, is able to pin point me on my new place. However, my pre points me on my old location, almost every time i connect to my AP, until it is able to find a GPS signal. I will test this theory out later.

Anyway, it would be great to have the app search for a longer period before giving up. There seems to be a lot of times where another second or two gives the pre a real location.
  8. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    So... I haven't had an upload in 2 days....GPS is on. I've been outside with the phone unobstructed a few times....
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    So... I haven't had an upload in 2 days....GPS is on. I've been outside with the phone unobstructed a few times....
    Go into the app and make sure the service is switched on.
  10. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Go into the app and make sure the service is switched on.
    Service Active and Wake Device are both on, Always upload is not, per the FAQ page. Should I change that?
    Service Active and Wake Device are both on, Always upload is not, per the FAQ page. Should I change that?
    always upload means that it wont upload the location if the phone does not detect a change in location when it checks. HOWEVER, if a GPS signal is not available, and the phone uses cell ID, you could move several miles and still be within the same cell ID circle. Check within the pre's settings that GPS is turned on.
  12. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    It is, it's been turned on since I downloaded it.

I know I am not using the same cell tower, I am 15 miles away. Should I redownload it or something?
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    It is, it's been turned on since I downloaded it.

I know I am not using the same cell tower, I am 15 miles away. Should I redownload it or something?
    There is no different version... Does Google maps on your phone show you an accurate position? Are you inside?

14. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    At the moment I am inside. Last night and this morning I was not.

CellStalker has me like a block away.
  15. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Does Google maps on your phone show you an accurate position? Are you inside?
    Yes and Yes. Google Maps has me off by 2 blocks. WIMP has me about a half mile from my house.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    What's the significance of the green arrow and the red balloon on the map? Sometimes they're on top of each and other times they're apart.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Yes and Yes. Google Maps has me off by 2 blocks. WIMP has me about a half mile from my house.
    Gotta love the acronym...

Kidding aside; it sounds like your house is blocking the GPS signal, no matter what application uses it. As I explained earlier in the thread: Google Maps subscribes to the GPS service and keeps it active, thus letting the device stay powered up and refine its accuracy. WIMP only asks the hardware for a single fix, which may not give the device enough time to be accurate if you're inside a dense building or other enclosure.

I have upped the power that WIMP asks the GPS device to use in the application, and that will be part of the next release. It should be out within the next 24-48 hours, so please update once it's available and let me know if anything changes.

In the meantime, you could try keeping the phone outside to see what kind of results you get there. If you're still not getting accurate fixes, you may want to have your phone inspected as the GPS device may be malfunctioning or damaged.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by docbeatle View Post
    What's the significance of the green arrow and the red balloon on the map? Sometimes they're on top of each and other times they're apart.
    This is Google trying to resolve your lat/lon to a street address. It's incredibly annoying and very misleading. I am working on updating the site to a customized version of the Google Maps via the V3 API. Should be ready within a week.

Gotta love beta

This is Google trying to resolve your lat/lon to a street address. It's incredibly annoying and very misleading. I am working on updating the site to a customized version of the Google Maps via the V3 API. Should be ready within a week.

Gotta love beta
    Keep up the good work. I am trying to help you out as much as possible by fielding some of the questions in here.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by docbeatle View Post
    I believe the red arrow is the closest physical address, and the green is where your pre thinks it is. click on the red arrow and it will give you a physical address, where if you click on the green, it gives you the long/lat
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast