Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Great app. so far its been pretty dead on for me. as a request for the web page maybe a guest view that would allow some to view and update where u were at without having the full account access. any clue how much u are going to chage for the different accounts?
    Just signed up for beta phase two, and my phone has sent its first upload.

FYI, the location is not quite accurate ... actual location is 1.5 miles (according to google maps) from the reported location.

This will be more accurate in the future? A 1.5 mile radius is a huge area to be searching for my poor lost/stolen pre!

~Bowen

EDIT: I will be turning my GPS services on to see if that improves the accuracy of my next upload.
    how weird but funny...about 30 minutes ago....the site pointed my location 30-50 miles away from my actual location...and just now it pinpointed my location dead on
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Signed up for the beta phase this morning. Downloaded and installed the app when I got home. The first upload was about a mile off but the next two have been dead on with the arrow pointing about 20 feet from where I am inside a two story house. I'll continue to check the uploads tomorrow when I travel 40 miles to work. That will be inside a metal building that has Sprint repeaters inside so it will be interesting to see if GPS or Sprint will mark me. I may experiment with inside and outside to see what happens. I do know GPS can't get a lock on the phone inside from other programs.

I also have used the Sprint family locator program for four phones during a trial two weeks so I know what available from them.
  5. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Yea I set it up yesterday also. Last night it had me (ironically) at my friend's house about 1/2 mile away. I giggled when I saw the location, she does have a tower right by her house.

Not really close enough for accuracy but in the neighborhood.
  6. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    And I have been at work for about an hour, 10 miles away and it's still at my home address. Well, my friend's anyway.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Checked it as soon as I got to work and I was marked on the Interstate a couple of miles away where I had driven. Now inside a metal building it has me at the closest cell tower half mile away. Pretty good app.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    And I have been at work for about an hour, 10 miles away and it's still at my home address. Well, my friend's anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by docbeatle View Post
    Checked it as soon as I got to work and I was marked on the Interstate a couple of miles away where I had driven. Now inside a metal building it has me at the closest cell tower half mile away. Pretty good app.
    Please remember, GPS services must be turned on in order to get a better fix on your location. If your phone cannot clearly see the sky, it will have a hard time being accurate. This is not a limitation of the application, it's a hardware limitation and cannot be controlled. If the GPS device in the phone cannot find a signal at all, the nearest cell tower will be used.

Installed it on my phone and my wifes. GPS service is enabled on both phones. I go to google maps and it pinpoints me perfectly. This app has me about 5 miles away and my wife is about 30 miles away from where we actually are. Since it doesn't update unless you move I assume it will continue to point at these erroneous locations until we travel again. That is not going to work I'm afraid.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    Installed it on my phone and my wifes. GPS service is enabled on both phones. I go to google maps and it pinpoints me perfectly. This app has me about 5 miles away and my wife is about 30 miles away from where we actually are. Since it doesn't update unless you move I assume it will continue to point at these erroneous locations until we travel again. That is not going to work I'm afraid.
    Do you have GPS services turned on, or just allowed for certain applications? Also, if you're next fix is more accurate, then the app will actually update your location on the site with the new one.

Google maps polls the GPS device constantly, where my app only pulls a one-time instant fix. The second and third fixes should be much more accurate.

I had tried two situations:
    1. GPS turned on----> Very accurate.
    2. GPS turned off ----> few miles away.

I think if the program could automatically on and off the GPS positioning will solve many unnecessary accuracy issues.

p/s: the program could auto-start in the background after I had soft-reset my pre.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylawca View Post
    I had tried two situations:
    1. GPS turned on----> Very accurate.
    2. GPS turned off ----> few miles away.

I think if the program could automatically on and off the GPS positioning will solve many unnecessary accuracy issues.

p/s: the program could auto-start in the background after I had soft-reset my pre.
    I don't think applications are able to override preferences like those set by the user. Perhaps something that may change in the future...

As far as the app starting up with phone, I believe one of the other testers has already determined that it does.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Sorry, what I meant to say was when it located me at the 20 minute upload point it accurately marked me on the interstate two miles from work.

Future suggestion: how about displaying your last five locations? If you are trying to find a thief or where you lost it, that might help you zero in.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Sorry, what I meant to say was when it located me at the 20 minute upload point it accurately marked me on the interstate two miles from work.

Future suggestion: how about displaying your last five locations? If you are trying to find a thief or where you lost it, that might help you zero in.
    This is indeed a planned future feature. It will also be more than the past 5 locations.

Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post
    Do you have GPS services turned on, or just allowed for certain applications? Also, if you're next fix is more accurate, then the app will actually update your location on the site with the new one.

Google maps polls the GPS device constantly, where my app only pulls a one-time instant fix. The second and third fixes should be much more accurate.
    Seems its getting better. Its been about 12 hours or so since we first installed the app and its now got our location down accurately. Good job!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Just got signed up and had my phone send it's first update. It's fairly accurate considering I'm inside a mostly concrete building. Only off by a couple hundred feet. I'm sure it will improve when I'm outside.
    within 5 feet maybe on my first upload. Gonna take it to my classes tomarrow and look back and see how it did. nifty app. good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLApre View Post
    honestly, you're right. i can't think of any particular benefits this would have, but i'm not sure it would really hurt anything to add a force update option from either the phone or web. i'd think it'd be much more helpful from the web, but as you've said it's coming.
    If there is a tracking feature added later then a force upload button would be great. That way you could force an upload if you want to make sure a point gets placed in the track.
    I'm really loving this app...great work.
    Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post
    I don't think applications are able to override preferences like those set by the user. Perhaps something that may change in the future...

As far as the app starting up with phone, I believe one of the other testers has already determined that it does.
    Yes I have completely turned my phone off as well as rebooted (installing tweaks) and the app has stayed in the service on state. This is definitely something you need, otherwise a thief would just have to turn your phone off and on and it would be disabled.

More great work....
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Definitely looking forward to a past history of GPS coordinates. Glad to hear you plan to do this. I hope it isn't limited to the premium accounts, perhaps a more limited history for standard accounts at the very least. :-)
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast