Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by computrav View Post
    Awesome idea. I would highly recommend renaming this app to something that does not have "Pre" in it. There is already a 2nd webOS device coming out, and hopefully more after that... so something like "Where is My Phone" might be better...

Also, I noticed that the max interval for the updates is 20 minutes -- why not offer longer intervals for those really particular folks? It's almost no extra work on your end for a very nice configuration option for the user.
    In the FAQ, he describes that in future releases, other versions will support many other update interval times.
    FYI, I am definitely getting results time to time from Cell ID, and not GPS. This morning (my first update in like 14 hours, since I did not move), the app places me in the same exact point as one yesterday. Is this by design, like if no GPS is found, use cell ID, or an error?
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    FYI, I am definitely getting results time to time from Cell ID, and not GPS. This morning (my first update in like 14 hours, since I did not move), the app places me in the same exact point as one yesterday. Is this by design, like if no GPS is found, use cell ID, or an error?
    This is what the hardware does by default. If you are in an area (such as inside a building) where the GPS device cannot find a signal, it should default to the cell tower's lat/lon. I'm not sure I can control that default behavior, but I think it's better than the alternative of not being able to have any location information at all

Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post
    This is what the hardware does by default. If you are in an area (such as inside a building) where the GPS device cannot find a signal, it should default to the cell tower's lat/lon. I'm not sure I can control that default behavior, but I think it's better than the alternative of not being able to have any location information at all
    Agreed; just making sure that is not on accident and is intended behavior. Looking forward to that blue ring on the map so I can tell the difference between hard GPS, and soft cell ID. Other than that, my map just updated to my EXACT location, even though I am on the 4th floor of a 10 floor building, and the windows only face more buildings. Impressive.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Attention: The 30 phase:one testers

Please comment on your thoughts thus far. Please keep comments limited to features that need improvement, and not feature requests.

Feature requests are already planned and will be released in the near future.

Attention: The 30 phasene testers

Please comment on your thoughts thus far. Please keep comments limited to features that need improvement, and not feature requests.

Well all I can say is wow on this app...I haven't been checking much on gps accuracy but the times I've checked its been perfect and I don't notice a change in battery...its the same...good job man!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    very impressed with accuracy (when i'm not in a building)

i haven't noticed any difference in battery life either.
    Attention: The 30 phasene testers

3% battery loss after about 1 hour, with one text received and 1 call ignored. There seems to be a very minimal battery impact. When set to do so, the app does not bother uploading a location when you have not moved, which is fantastic. With the features that are included right now, there really is not much room for improvement, we already have a very stable, functioning application. Well done, sir.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Just curious from those of you that are beta testing. What browsers are you all using to check the update. I am curious to see if this app is working well with the blackberry browser as that is what my g/f has and we are having issues finding a replacement to the tracker I used before I got a Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
    Just curious from those of you that are beta testing. What browsers are you all using to check the update. I am curious to see if this app is working well with the blackberry browser as that is what my g/f has and we are having issues finding a replacement to the tracker I used before I got a Pre...
    I have tried on both the pre and the iphone, and they have worked so far. Unsure about BB. Are you able to view a google map at all in the BB browser?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I have tried on both the pre and the iphone, and they have worked so far. Unsure about BB. Are you able to view a google map at all in the BB browser?
    yep, google maps works fine in BB... when you use the program, does it only open a google map, or is it a framed browser page? Sometimes Framed pages screw up on the blackberry... ideally, it would be nice to have a mobile version of the map.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
    yep, google maps works fine in BB... when you use the program, does it only open a google map, or is it a framed browser page? Sometimes Framed pages screw up on the blackberry... ideally, it would be nice to have a mobile version of the map.
    It is a framed browser page, it does not open in google maps as an app on the phone.
    Hard to tell for me for battery drain, my usage is so inconsistent.

as far as accuracy some have been DEAD ON and some have been a good few blocks away (assuming pulling from cell rather than gps)

other than that, it works great and does what you've designed it to do. excited for future udpates!
  14. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    What about people who turn on Airplane Mode at night? That's what I do and I don't want it going on and off or beeping at all hours.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    What about people who turn on Airplane Mode at night? That's what I do and I don't want it going on and off or beeping at all hours.
    Another scenario I haven't tested. It shouldn't turn on any wireless communication, and it definitely won't beep or anything.

Perhaps you could test and let us know. I will be opening phase:two in 20 minutes, which will allow a total of 2000 registered accounts. Sign up then if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    If the phone is in airplane mode, I suspect the app will simply not function. No going on and off or beeping (the app never makes a sound).

On another note, is it going to be possible to toggle on and off the service from the web page? This could be very helpful, if possible, in saving battery life and unnecessary load on you server. When needed, I would just turn on the service in the app from the web. Possible?
  17. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    The CellStalker program had this issue with me, it did try to turn on at night and popped up like a notification and it was annoying as hell.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    If the phone is in airplane mode, I suspect the app will simply not function. No going on and off or beeping (the app never makes a sound).

On another note, is it going to be possible to toggle on and off the service from the web page? This could be very helpful, if possible, in saving battery life and unnecessary load on you server. When needed, I would just turn on the service in the app from the web. Possible?
    A planned future feature

A planned future feature
    Most excellent! Also, to the post above, the map WILL load in the BB web browser. I tried on a friends t-mobile tour (or whatever the GSM version is called)
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Most excellent! Also, to the post above, the map WILL load in the BB web browser. I tried on a friends t-mobile tour (or whatever the GSM version is called)

Still think a mobile version of the map would be a good thing.... ya think?

Just tried on a Verizon Curve and it is a no go... browser does not support AJAX.... so sad!!!
    Last edited by Zoso; 09/23/2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: new information