Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJLunacy View Post
    I tried to register at the website however it says 20 slots have been filled after I try to submit my info.

At the top of the page it says 30 slots are available.

Is this just a typo?

Thank You
    Yes, this was a typo. It's been corrected, thanks. I will be adding information to the first post of this thread as to when more slots will be available. Check back very soon
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgalla04 View Post
    Will this app affect the performance of my pre? Will it limit the amount of cards I can have open? I hate when I go to facebook and it uses all of my RAM and I cannot open another card. I then have to close facebook and open the new app. Any ideas?

Also will this eventually be password protected to avoid a smart thief from opening the app and disabling it?
    This will not effect your pre. While it's in the background, it takes up 0 memory. The app actually closes completely, and restarts itself when it needs to upload your location, then closes again, etc...

And yes, there is a private key that is assigned to your account when you sign up. In a future release, you will need to enter that private key to disable the service or uninstall the app. When I have that feature fully implemented, everyone who signed up will get an email with their private key in it. New users will have the key emailed to them upon registration.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Latest update, with the phone sitting on my windowsill, is a mere 96.14 feet off, according to Google Earth.

Still have my question from earlier. When I reboot, do I need to start and swipe off the app, or does it load on its own?
    It should restart itself with the phone, but as I mentioned in a previous post, I haven't been able to fully test this feature. If anyone would be able to test that and let me know then we can work on making sure it functions the way it should. I know it's possible, as I've done that on some of my other apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post
    It should restart itself with the phone, but as I mentioned in a previous post, I haven't been able to fully test this feature. If anyone would be able to test that and let me know then we can work on making sure it functions the way it should. I know it's possible, as I've done that on some of my other apps.
    Done. Rebooted and got a location update shortly after that. The GPS mark was way off, but it's better than nothing. hopefully the next location is more accurate. See, this is where a forced update comes in handy:
    I know that the location is off, and a re-lock on GPS would force a more accurate location, instead of having to wait 20 minutes.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Done. Rebooted and got a location update shortly after that. The GPS mark was way off, but it's better than nothing. hopefully the next location is more accurate. See, this is where a forced update comes in handy:
    I know that the location is off, and a re-lock on GPS would force a more accurate location, instead of having to wait 20 minutes.
    A forced update from the site is a planned future release. Glad to hear the app relaunched itself after a reboot. Thanks for the info!
    A forced update from the site is a planned future release. Glad to hear the app relaunched itself after a reboot. Thanks for the info!
    Yep, i read that earlier. Happy I could confirm that the reboot works. Also happy I could be one of the original 10 beta testers. I will be giving you lots of info about the app in the coming days.

One piece of advice I can give is to give a warning about airave users. The cell location data the the airave gives out is usually WAY off from where the user is, and unless a GPS lock is found, that is what they will see. Might want to put a warning up about that.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Yep, i read that earlier. Happy I could confirm that the reboot works. Also happy I could be one of the original 10 beta testers. I will be giving you lots of info about the app in the coming days.

One piece of advice I can give is to give a warning about airave users. The cell location data the the airave gives out is usually WAY off from where the user is, and unless a GPS lock is found, that is what they will see. Might want to put a warning up about that.
    Indeed. The FAQ on the site is lacking of info like that, and will be updated soon. Thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by xluryan; 09/23/2009 at 10:44 AM.
    lol, dammit, i hate missing stuff like this due to school.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    lol, dammit, i hate missing stuff like this due to school.
    Check back Monday 28 September. phase:two will begin and will allow many more people to sign up.
    update: just came back from lunch break and it must have updated while at taco bell.

arrow pointed in the exact parking spot that i was in. creepy kinda lol, but very cool.
    Another tip. On your website, the google map that is, the point is showed as an exact location. However, when I load up google maps on the pre, it shows the blue margin or error ring. Is there any way to implement that, to show the difference between a cell location, and a GPS location.

Also, it seems that when the program grabs the GPS location, it will take the first cell ID location it gets, instead of waiting for a more accurate GPS lock. Will there be a way to change that?
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Another tip. On your website, the google map that is, the point is showed as an exact location. However, when I load up google maps on the pre, it shows the blue margin or error ring. Is there any way to implement that, to show the difference between a cell location, and a GPS location.

Also, it seems that when the program grabs the GPS location, it will take the first cell ID location it gets, instead of waiting for a more accurate GPS lock. Will there be a way to change that?
    As I replace the generic Google map with a more customized map, there will be an accuracy ring.

It shouldn't be using cellIDs if you have GPS turned on, but perhaps someone can investigate that further.
    Ok I got back a few minutes ago from my test excursion. I drove 20 miles out and 20 miles back and stopped at a few places along the way. It seems to work rather well. A couple of the updates where within a few feet while the others where within 20-50 ft or so. I tested it with the actual GPS on and GPS off but allowing the the app to use GPS services. It does seem to be more accurate when you leave the GPS setting in the Pre to ON. It's seems to be true what the message on the Pre states in Location Services "Use GPS 'Improves accuracy but can impact battery life' " While in the GPS OFF state It has shown to be more then a couple of miles off. My Advice, Leave GPS ON if you use this program.

A couple of suggestions I thought of while driving:

1. A log of previous updates, to see where the Pre was. - This could help if the Pre is lost or stolen and over a few day period the pattern that may arise could be very helpful in being able to track the person with your property. In order to save server space which may build up rather quickly a 3 day limit or what ever could be imposed by the site owner.

2. A GPS Tracking mode to track the phone in real time. I think that there may other programs out there that do this, but hey we're talking about this one and not others ;-)
    This may be an option for all users, or maybe just available to premium account holders, I don't know, it's just a thought.

Well, I hope this has been helpful so far.
    Check back Monday 28 September. phase:two will begin and will allow many more people to sign up.
    Please post it after 5 PM EST
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steelshadow View Post
    Ok I got back a few minutes ago from my test excursion. I drove 20 miles out and 20 miles back and stopped at a few places along the way. It seems to work rather well. A couple of the updates where within a few feet while the others where within 20-50 ft or so. I tested it with the actual GPS on and GPS off but allowing the the app to use GPS services. It does seem to be more accurate when you leave the GPS setting in the Pre to ON. It's seems to be true what the message on the Pre states in Location Services "Use GPS 'Improves accuracy but can impact battery life' " While in the GPS OFF state It has shown to be more then a couple of miles off. My Advice, Leave GPS ON if you use this program.

A couple of suggestions I thought of while driving:

1. A log of previous updates, to see where the Pre was. - This could help if the Pre is lost or stolen and over a few day period the pattern that may arise could be very helpful in being able to track the person with your property. In order to save server space which may build up rather quickly a 3 day limit or what ever could be imposed by the site owner.

2. A GPS Tracking mode to track the phone in real time. I think that there may other programs out there that do this, but hey we're talking about this one and not others ;-)
    This may be an option for all users, or maybe just available to premium account holders, I don't know, it's just a thought.

Well, I hope this has been helpful so far.
    Definitely helpful information. Both of those points are in fact planned future features. I hope to have the upgraded map on the site by phase:two, and that's the first stepping block to getting historical data to show up.
    As I replace the generic Google map with a more customized map, there will be an accuracy ring.

It shouldn't be using cellIDs if you have GPS turned on, but perhaps someone can investigate that further.
    I have GPS turned on, a sometimes the ap is most definitely pulling in googles cell ID location sometimes, rather than a precise GPS location.
    I like how you have a Donate button on the first page yet people aren't even allowed to use the service unless they're lucky enough to register within a certain window of time. Are non-users supposed to be donating to your application that isn't available to them yet?

Maybe I'm just a little bitter for not discovering this in time to be accepted, but why list it on FileCoaster and in the Homebrew Apps section if you were going to go about it this way? Keep it truly private, just make a thread, host the ipk yourself and when it's ready, then put it up.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    I like how you have a Donate button on the first page yet people aren't even allowed to use the service unless they're lucky enough to register within a certain window of time. Are non-users supposed to be donating to your application that isn't available to them yet?

Maybe I'm just a little bitter for not discovering this in time to be accepted, but why list it on FileCoaster and in the Homebrew Apps section if you were going to go about it this way? Keep it truly private, just make a thread, host the ipk yourself and when it's ready, then put it up.
    I appreciate your concern. I even agree with your post to a point. The only thing I'm worried about are site errors or other unforeseen issues. Based on the success of the initial launch, I wouldn't mind moving the phase:two date up to tomorrow or Thursday, but you must understand that any issues that arise could cause inconvenient downtime for several users.

Hey xluryan, great app but I actually have an unrelated question: could you point me to the actual tweak you used to change your wifi/coverage bars colors and battery icon, as seen on your app's screenshot?

Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Awesome idea. I would highly recommend renaming this app to something that does not have "Pre" in it. There is already a 2nd webOS device coming out, and hopefully more after that... so something like "Where is My Phone" might be better...

Also, I noticed that the max interval for the updates is 20 minutes -- why not offer longer intervals for those really particular folks? It's almost no extra work on your end for a very nice configuration option for the user.
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast