Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    I have installed the new ap -- even went as far as deleting the old to get a fresh install -- i have it set to high accuracy and every 20 min --it will transmit if i hit the button but does not on its own in location services everything is on -- i even have the google services turned on as i am inside all day and i wanted to see if this helps it to transmit during the day -- it worked great pre- 1.4 -- now it will only transmit the position of the phone if i open it and hit upload.. - any suggestions?

thanks
    Rob

sorry to be a pain but i am always leaving my phone places and love the idea of this ap

I'm in the exact same boat. I have Google services unchecked, my service is toggled on as well as the always upload toggle. My accuracy is set to medium with the update interval at 20 minutes. Where Is My Pre is listed in JStop as a running background service but the only way my location is updated is with manual uploads.

After checking JStop again, it appears as though the Where Is My Pre service does not run in the background with the 1.4 update. I even turned off Auto Garbage Collect, WIMP service terminates a few seconds after the card is closed.
    it does not run with the card open from what i can tell
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    it does not run with the card open from what i can tell
    That is correct. It is not designed to run after the card is closed. Check your message logs. It should fire up at your specified intervals.

Can anyone confirm this?

What I think is happening, is that the device is no longer being "woken up" by the app at it's specified interval, even though I have it set to. This is probably something caused by 1.4.

I'll see what I can dig up... Anyone care to help test this theory?

Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post
    That is correct. It is not designed to run after the card is closed. Check your message logs. It should fire up at your specified intervals.

Can anyone confirm this?
    First, let me say, it was disconcerting that you left us for 3 months with no support. For a paid service, I think we expect more.

Second, I love this product and support it fully...now that you are back.

It definitely doesn't work when the phone is on Standby, but appears to be working fine when the card is open and Standby is off.
    Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post

Can anyone confirm this?

What I think is happening, is that the device is no longer being "woken up" by the app at it's specified interval, even though I have it set to. This is probably something caused by 1.4.

I'll see what I can dig up... Anyone care to help test this theory?
    I sent you a PM this morning which may answer your question.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by mhossler View Post
    First, let me say, it was disconcerting that you left us for 3 months with no support. For a paid service, I think we expect more.

Second, I love this product and support it fully...now that you are back.

It definitely doesn't work when the phone is on Standby, but appears to be working fine when the card is open and Standby is off.
    Please Define working fine? does it transmit your location at the specified time interval? or does it only do it when you hit the upload now button?

when i first installed this ap it worked whenever my phone wasn't in airplane mode -- i never had to open the card. I liked it so much i paid for a year of the service -- now it is useless -- i can open google maps to see where i am -- if i lose my phone i will have to call it and walk whoever answers how to open where is my pre and have them upload the information -- i hope that it will be fixed as this is one of my personal favorite aps

thanks
    Rob
    Last edited by mespiff; 03/11/2010 at 11:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Ok folks, looks like this is definitely an issue with 1.4. There's a discussion on the Palm developer forums regarding this specific issue, which is affecting more than just WIMP.

Essentially, any app that relies on background processing is now being limited to how much time it's allowed before webOS kills it. The numbers I've heard are in the range of 12-14 seconds. In WIMP's case specifically, we are trying to look up a location fix, which can take more than a few seconds in most scenarios.

Palm is deciding whether or not they're going to fix this any time soon. I'll probably release a fix for this if they don't decide something in the next day or so. It's unfortunate they didn't give us any warning about such an impacting change.

Apologies to all WIMP users.

So I understand Palm is aware of the issue and promises a fix within 2-3 weeks? I think I can live with manual uploads for my purposes for that duration. Do you think you'll be able to pinpoint what they changed and patch it before then? Thanks for getting on this one, Ryan.
    Thanks for letting me know and i look forward to a solution. I appreciate getting information -- i will await your solution because while i am not a palm basher i think yours will appear sooner

thanks
    Rob
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles From Nowhere View Post
    So I understand Palm is aware of the issue and promises a fix within 2-3 weeks? I think I can live with manual uploads for my purposes for that duration. Do you think you'll be able to pinpoint what they changed and patch it before then? Thanks for getting on this one, Ryan.
    Well, they didn't strictly promise anything, but they now claim it's a "high priority" item. And they do know exactly what the problem is, but they seem adamant about not changing it back to how it was in 1.3.5. We're all interested to see just how they plan on fixing this one...

I'm sure their intentions were originally good, they just maybe didn't think about all of the consequences.

Thanks for letting me know and i look forward to a solution. I appreciate getting information -- i will await your solution because while i am not a palm basher i think yours will appear sooner

thanks
    Rob
    No problem. Like I said, if they don't resolve this tomorrow I'll release an update to PreCentral. I'll try for the app catalog as well, but last time I submitted an update for the catalog it took them 2 months to accept it

Quote Originally Posted by Miles From Nowhere View Post
    So I understand Palm is aware of the issue and promises a fix within 2-3 weeks?
    I assume you're referencing the information presented in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ble-1-4-a.html. Palm indicated that the earliest their fix would arrive is in 2-3 weeks. So no, they're not promising a fix within 2-3 weeks.

However I think by now they realize the importance of this fix considering how many apps relied on the background capability that 1.4 broke. So hopefully we'll see a fix from them sooner than later <fingers crossed>.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    X---thanks for coming back to us and helping... as one of the first ones to pay for this app, I am very happy you decided to do so, or your schedule allowed you do so.

Your issue with the pre going to sleep has to be resolved somehow... I started using an app called MAPTOOL since you were gone, and that developer solved this issue as the tracking continues, or the pre stays awake... it may take you some research on the maptool thread, as I am in no way a developer, but I read the same issue over there and he was able to resolve it so the app continues to track without issues...

not a lot of info, but hope that helps a tiny bit...
    Ryan and Dan -- this may be off topic for this thread and if so sorry - i just know you are both paying attention here- - i have been following the thread linked to at the developers forum and i cannot post there so i was hoping you could read what i have to say here and weigh in there if you want -- music 6 is suggeting that you would need to have open cards to have aps run in the back ground -- I think that is a horrible idea -- it kind of runs contrary to the whole "runs in the background" concept -- if i purchase an ap that is supposed to do something without me being aware of it that is exactly what i want -- i want it out of sight and out of mind. Anyway just my opinion -- love both of your aps --

Rob

ps -- i am a hopeless paranoid and for some reason trust no one but i hope that the communication in that other thread is indeed coming from someone that is affiliated with palm and not some yo yo playing games

thanks again
    Rob
    Ryan and Dan -- this may be off topic for this thread and if so sorry - i just know you are both paying attention here- - i have been following the thread linked to at the developers forum and i cannot post there so i was hoping you could read what i have to say here and weigh in there if you want -- music 6 is suggeting that you would need to have open cards to have aps run in the back ground -- I think that is a horrible idea -- it kind of runs contrary to the whole "runs in the background" concept -- if i purchase an ap that is supposed to do something without me being aware of it that is exactly what i want -- i want it out of sight and out of mind. Anyway just my opinion -- love both of your aps --

Rob
    Music6 is the only one that feels that way. I don't think Palm would ever implement this type of system. People would hate it.

ps -- i am a hopeless paranoid and for some reason trust no one but i hope that the communication in that other thread is indeed coming from someone that is affiliated with palm and not some yo yo playing games
    The Palm representatives speaking in that thread are definitely from Palm. The latest communication from graynorton2 is encouraging.

this may be off topic for this thread
    Yes it probably is...so if you have any other questions, you can PM me.

any movement on getting this issue resolved in this ap?
    Yes, any update?
    So am i to assume that any problems that are showing up here that are a result of 1.4 are to be addressed when palm gets around to working around this issue? - If that is the case then an update about what is going on would be nice

thanks
    Rob
    You aint kidding. I know its just 3 bucks a month (I have 2 phones on the service) but from the looks of it there are 23k phones using this service now? Thats a lot of cash per month to not be giving any updates even if its just a "guys, chill.. I don't know anything yet"
    any chance of getting an audio recorder integrated in this app?

Basically I would like to remotely press 'record' and have the mic go live and record audio around the phone until I tell it to stop.