Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 668
  1. #341  
    I have found that after turning off google services, my accuracy has gone UP. I am no longer (at least yet) getting really weird locations b/c of google. Though, I did just get an airave, so we will see how that messes things up tonight.

    It's been great being one of the first 10 users!
  2. Hobbz's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    #342  
    Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post
    That certainly is interesting... The next time that happens try this instead:

    Open the dialer. Dial ##477#. When the hidden window comes up, press Get Fix. This is a more accurate way to test the type of GPS fix that the app uses. Google's Maps uses a subscription to the GPS device and leaves the device powered up. My app only hits the hardware for a single fix, which can be much less accurate at times, but much, much less power consuming.

    It just happened again. I checked the website and the last update was around 9:21am CDT.

    It shows my phone is in Dallas. I followed the instructions you suggested I follow. The lat/long on this screen matches what shows on the website. (32.77813,-96.7954).

    It appears to be a issue with the phone and it's core software then. My account name is Hobbz if you want to look at anything.

    PS - sorry, can't use the m-quote from this computer at work for some reason. My original post was on the previous page.
  3. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    It just happened again. I checked the website and the last update was around 9:21am CDT.

    It shows my phone is in Dallas. I followed the instructions you suggested I follow. The lat/long on this screen matches what shows on the website. (32.77813,-96.7954).

    It appears to be a issue with the phone and it's core software then. My account name is Hobbz if you want to look at anything.

    PS - sorry, can't use the m-quote from this computer at work for some reason. My original post was on the previous page.
    No problem, I remember the original issue...

    I figured it was something with the phone's hardware. I'm not sure if that's a default behavior or not, but I would recommend going in to Sprint and asking around (perhaps even for a replacement). Maybe even call Palm as they should probably no more about it then Sprint employees.

  4. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #344  
    Update
    You now need to enter your phone number when you register. Those of you who have already registered will be presented a Missing Information screen when you log in. You can enter your phone number here and follow the instructions. This is now required for security and account verification. Those who have not done this by the end of the month will be placed in a Pending Verification status and will be unable to use the app until that is resolved. Please post to the thread with questions

  5. #345  
    Plugged in my phone number, no text yet though. How long should that take?
  6. fareal's Avatar
    Posts
    260 Posts
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    #346  
    took maybe 10 minutes for me.. maybe more, maybe less
  7. #347  
    where do I enter my #?
  8. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by userengel View Post
    Plugged in my phone number, no text yet though. How long should that take?
    Ideally it should take less than a minute. It really depends on Sprint's network congestion. If you need to resend it, click the word Resend.

    Quote Originally Posted by fareal View Post
    took maybe 10 minutes for me.. maybe more, maybe less
    Wow, that's pretty long! Well worth the wait though

    Quote Originally Posted by mracer29 View Post
    where do I enter my #?
    Just log in and it should ask you to. If it doesn't, try logging out, going to the login page, refreshing it, and then entering your info. Let me know if that doesn't work.

  9. #349  
    Ended up getting the pin, took almost 20 minutes though for some reason.
    Everything working fine otherwise.

    Can I ask, is the phone number stored after its used to send the pin? Or is it only used as one time confirmation?
  10. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #350  
    Quote Originally Posted by userengel View Post
    Ended up getting the pin, took almost 20 minutes though for some reason.
    Everything working fine otherwise.

    Can I ask, is the phone number stored after its used to send the pin? Or is it only used as one time confirmation?
    Unfortunately it has to be stored. I realized that it would be very possible to just keep signing up for trial accounts unless there was some mechanism to prevent that. Ultimately, the only reason it's stored is so it cannot be used twice.

    If you have any concerns, feel free to post them in the thread or PM me.

  11. #351  
    No real concerns, except couldn't someone just keep using different numbers that they have access to, for example my google voice number, then my girlfriends cell, then my brothers cell, then my mothers cell... and so on? It doesn't seem to be verifying that the number you provide is linked to the phone that you are using the app on. Or am I missing something?

    EDIT - Using the phone number is a fantastic way of verifying the person signing up has the phone with them. Is there maybe a way in-app that you could generate a unique id based on some data about the individual phone it is installed on? It could then be uploaded with the location the first time the app is run, and it could all be done without the user ever having to do anything. Then you wouldn't need to keep the phone number and you'd have a much more accurate way of making sure the user didn't just keep creating new accounts for the same phone.
    Last edited by userengel; 10/08/2009 at 10:50 PM.
  12. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by userengel View Post
    No real concerns, except couldn't someone just keep using different numbers that they have access to, for example my google voice number, then my girlfriends cell, then my brothers cell, then my mothers cell... and so on? It doesn't seem to be verifying that the number you provide is linked to the phone that you are using the app on. Or am I missing something?
    Right now that is correct. However, in the future the phone number will probably also be used to verify that the location is coming from the registered phone itself. That would mean that it'd be useless to use a different number other than your own, because you still wouldn't be able to use the service.

    Reply to your EDIT:
    This in fact is exactly the way it's done currently. Great minds think alike The problem with this method is that if a user loses his/her phone, there has to be a way to get the site to accept a new unique ID. There is really no way to tell whether or not someone actually lost their phone, so the site would have to honor every request to generate a new unique ID pair (right now this is the Reauthorize Phone option on the site).

    So since you can generate a new UID on the fly, this isn't a viable option to prevent people from avoiding the verification system.
    Last edited by xluryan; 10/08/2009 at 10:55 PM.

  13. #353  
    Whoops, looks like I was editing while you were replying to me. Wasn't expecting you to get back to me so quickly. lol
  14. #354  
    Sorry to double post, but the edits are confusing enough already with regards to someone attempting to follow along on this conversation.

    Obviously, I've only spent a few minutes brainstorming, while you have spent what I can only imagine being countless hours. Excellent point on lost and damaged phones, I can't say that even crossed my mind.
  15. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #355  
    Quote Originally Posted by userengel View Post
    Sorry to double post, but the edits are confusing enough already with regards to someone attempting to follow along on this conversation.

    Obviously, I've only spent a few minutes brainstorming, while you have spent what I can only imagine being countless hours. Excellent point on lost and damaged phones, I can't say that even crossed my mind.
    Security and privacy are my number one focus. And you're right about the time spent; this has become my second day job. But it has to be.

    There are a few other apps I've seen that try to do what WIMP does. The problem with them is that they aren't even close to what they should be. I try to take user's feedback and apply it to the project as soon as possible. WIMP users have the benefit of getting features first, and not having to wait for other apps to try and copy what I've done.

    If I'm going to create something I expect other people to use, then I have to make sure I'd use it myself. And I think we're almost there... (finally!)

  16. #356  
    I just realized why when I'm in my house I'm shown as being about 20 miles away. I have an Airave! I'm not sure why it took me this long to figure it out.
  17. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #357  
    Quote Originally Posted by userengel View Post
    I just realized why when I'm in my house I'm shown as being about 20 miles away. I have an Airave! I'm not sure why it took me this long to figure it out.
    Interesting... I'll have to look into that. Anyone else here that has an Airave and is experiencing similar problems? I know Yankees368 has one...
    Last edited by xluryan; 10/09/2009 at 05:38 PM.

  18. #358  
    Thanks for the app but I would like to know if U guys are gonna make the option to change your PASSWORD or email address soon, if thats possible???

    Thanks,
    Playha213
  19. agidius's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #359  
    this is pretty cool!!!

    map said I was in the kitchen when I was in the living room.
    that is pretty close.

    have you posted future prices yet??


    edit--
    nevermind, I found the prices on the website.
  20. #360  
    Been waiting for PIN for over 30 minutes now
    Bell customer here.
    Normally texts are instant though

Posting Permissions