Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mracer29 View Post
    I'm still in the back yard 2 house away from where I really am.
    I have to reiterate that all I can do is report what the GPS device tells the app. I do plan to put very fine tuned controls on the site in the near future that will allow you to tweak the type of query sent to the GPS device, and perhaps that will increase your luck. Look for that within the next couple of weeks.

I still think it a great app, even at maybe 100ft off I'm sure I could locate my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
    when you go to the site and click on the map, is there anything there?
    Started working last night for some reason, I don't really know what I did. Seems to be really accurate, except when I'm inside, then its off by like 10 miles. But I guess that's expected.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mracer29 View Post
    I still think it a great app, even at maybe 100ft off I'm sure I could locate my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by userengel View Post
    Started working last night for some reason, I don't really know what I did. Seems to be really accurate, except when I'm inside, then its off by like 10 miles. But I guess that's expected.
    I think the GPS tuning controls will help a lot once they're on the site. Follow the site and/or the thread for the latest...

When i try to log in on my phone it says "Invalid credentials (5)" but i go online and use the same username and password it logs me in just fine.. what am i doing wrong?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mejet View Post
    When i try to log in on my phone it says "Invalid credentials (5)" but i go online and use the same username and password it logs me in just fine.. what am i doing wrong?
    try going to the website, my account, and then reauthorize your phone, down on the bottom... let us know....
    I have a suggestion, right now you draw direct lines from point to point, what might be cool is using google have it draw the the line in whatever the recommended route is. It wouldn't always be correct, but often the way you go from point A to point B is exactly what google recommends anyway.
    Thanks Zoso.. login was validated!
    Mine gives an exact location, Im talking within feet.

If you hold the cursor over the dot, it gives you precise exact coordinates, if you copy and paste those into google earth, it shows me that my phone is in my bedroom...

VERY COOL

Good Work Dude!!!

Thanks
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    first off, nice app! you made a lot of progress quickly.
    today is the first time I have tried to access the webpage whereismypre.com from another Pre and have found that I can enter my info but the submit button does not work. Just wondering if I am the only one and if there is a problem with my overtweeked pre.

also when I log in from a computer the map is always so far back, maybe an option that when you log on that you go straight to a more zoomed in detail view for some people would be nice
    Last edited by willsurg; 10/06/2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: thought of something else
    Validation ERROR

I set up my account on the web, went to my phone, put in the RIGHT user name and password. When I hit "Validate login" It tells me there is an "unknown server error (-9)"

I can go to the web and reauthorize the phone and get success.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrkilgore View Post
    Validation ERROR

I set up my account on the web, went to my phone, put in the RIGHT user name and password. When I hit "Validate login" It tells me there is an "unknown server error (-9)"

I can go to the web and reauthorize the phone and get success.
    Please PM me with your username and email address you used.

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    There's one interesting thing I've noticed whenever I lose the GPS signal. This mainly occurs when I'm at my office. Something gets confused and often times shows my location as being hundreds of miles away.

I live in the northwest corner of Arkansas. Many times while at work, the location shows my phone as being in Houston, TX.

When this occurred the other day, I tested my phone. I ran a couple apps which use the location. My Pre thought it was still in Arkansas while the Map on the website showed my phone being in Houston. So my phone knows where it is in one regard, but is somewhow playing tricks for the website map.

I thought I'd pass this along, I didn't see it mentioned in the thread.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    There's one interesting thing I've noticed whenever I lose the GPS signal. This mainly occurs when I'm at my office. Something gets confused and often times shows my location as being hundreds of miles away.

I live in the northwest corner of Arkansas. Many times while at work, the location shows my phone as being in Houston, TX.

When this occurred the other day, I tested my phone. I ran a couple apps which use the location. My Pre thought it was still in Arkansas while the Map on the website showed my phone being in Houston. So my phone knows where it is in one regard, but is somewhow playing tricks for the website map.

I thought I'd pass this along, I didn't see it mentioned in the thread.
    That certainly is interesting... The next time that happens try this instead:

Open the dialer. Dial ##477#. When the hidden window comes up, press Get Fix. This is a more accurate way to test the type of GPS fix that the app uses. Google's Maps uses a subscription to the GPS device and leaves the device powered up. My app only hits the hardware for a single fix, which can be much less accurate at times, but much, much less power consuming.

I installed last night and quickly uninstalled this morning.

Why?

Each day, I pull my Pre off my touchstone and head to work. By the time that I get to the office (after using the Pre's music player in my car and making one call), my battery is usually at 95%+. Today, the battery was at 40%.

This may be a false correlation, but all I did was add this app and enable the service last night. I didn't even select "always upload". No clue what is up, but the app is now gone.

So...how can I tell if it is *really* gone? I deleted the app from the launcher, but does that *really* get rid of everything...especially the portion that was running headless? Is that a process within WebOS? If so, how can I tell that it is gone? If it is outside WebOS, what is it? I can SSH in and perform a "top" if I need to, but I'd welcome any insight before I go looking around.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Great app. I just started using it. I wish i had it a few weeks ago. I left my phone in a coworkers car (it had slipped out of my pocket); I couldn't find it for a bit, and wasn't sure if i left it at work or if it was somewhere around the house. This app is perfect for that situation, which I am sure is probably more common then the phone being stolen. If only it could show a floor plan of your house to see where in the house it was .

One suggestion is to move the login credentials and validation under the menu. Every time I open the app my cursor is in the Login name text box. This makes it very easy for it to be changed. In addition, when you click on validate login, the pop up tells you that it is successful, but the button does not change, so there is no indication that the application is logged in and functioning.

Again great app. Keep up the good work.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post

Why?

Each day, I pull my Pre off my touchstone and head to work. By the time that I get to the office (after using the Pre's music player in my car and making one call), my battery is usually at 95%+. Today, the battery was at 40%.

This may be a false correlation, but all I did was add this app and enable the service last night. I didn't even select "always upload". No clue what is up, but the app is now gone.

So...how can I tell if it is *really* gone? I deleted the app from the launcher, but does that *really* get rid of everything...especially the portion that was running headless? Is that a process within WebOS? If so, how can I tell that it is gone? If it is outside WebOS, what is it? I can SSH in and perform a "top" if I need to, but I'd welcome any insight before I go looking around.

Thanks!
    I can't imagine this could be from the app. If you ask any member in this thread they'll tell you that battery is almost unaffected.

Either way, removing the app from the launcher is all that's needed to uninstall the app.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crewdude View Post
    Great app. I just started using it. I wish i had it a few weeks ago. I left my phone in a coworkers car (it had slipped out of my pocket); I couldn't find it for a bit, and wasn't sure if i left it at work or if it was somewhere around the house. This app is perfect for that situation, which I am sure is probably more common then the phone being stolen. If only it could show a floor plan of your house to see where in the house it was .

One suggestion is to move the login credentials and validation under the menu. Every time I open the app my cursor is in the Login name text box. This makes it very easy for it to be changed. In addition, when you click on validate login, the pop up tells you that it is successful, but the button does not change, so there is no indication that the application is logged in and functioning.

Again great app. Keep up the good work.
    I can't do a floor plan, but EVERYONE hates losing their phone in their own house. That's why one of the next updates is to add an option on the site to make your phone beep so you can locate it.

You don't have to validate your login every time you open the app. I would only suggest it for the first time you enter your credentials just to make sure you've typed them in properly. Perhaps in the future there will be two separate pages; one for status and one for account. But I need to finish other functionalities on the site first

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post

Why?

Thanks!

I have been running this app for almost 2 weeks now and have not experienced any significant problem with battery usage at all. In fact, yesterday I started uploading my coordinates every 5 min (while I was moving of course) and by the end of the day, after calls, playing with Preware, and playing music, I was down to 50 percent... not bad at all for a whole days usage. I would look elsewhere for the problem.
    WOW Up to 3000 users now, NICE! I was one of the first 30 beta testers and have really liked the progress this has been making! Keep up the great work!