Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 668
  1. #261  
    Well, I do get the successfully validated message. Then I swipe the app off.
  2. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #262  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjstone57 View Post
    Well, I do get the successfully validated message. Then I swipe the app off.
    There might have been an issue with the code I updated on the site earlier. Try it now; open the app, then swipe it away. You should get an upload within a minute on the site. Let me know if you don't.

  3. #263  
    Sorry, no update. Site is still showing 0.
  4. #264  
    I'm starting to think there is an issue with the GPS on her phone. I just tride the FindMyCar app and it's coming back with an error message that is cant get GPS coordinates. Any way of checking GPS status?
  5. #265  
    Maybe I should add that we are on the Bell Network and there doesn't appear to be a Location Services" screen I've read about to check settings...
  6. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjstone57 View Post
    Maybe I should add that we are on the Bell Network and there doesn't appear to be a Location Services" screen I've read about to check settings...
    If you go into the dialer and dial ##477# what do you get?

  7. #267  
    Both phones come up with a GPS Location screen and a GPS Fix button. When I press it on mine, I get various information like lat/log coordinates... On hers, I get a GPS error message. Kinda points to the problem. So how do I check if GPS is enabled on this beast?

    UPDATE: I found a pre tips and tricks document and was able to find the hidden location services icon. Indeed my wife's Pre didn't have GPS enabled. She's now getting coordinate info so I think the issue may be resolved. Off to the site to see if her account updated.

    UPDATE: Site is updating. Took a bit of time but it seems OK now.
    Last edited by kjstone57; 09/29/2009 at 07:09 AM.
  8. #268  
    The times for the historical points are all way off... I drove to work this morning (its an hour commute) and I see several points right along the route I took. When I click them, the date is correct, but the times are all way wrong. They jump around too, from like 1 am to 3 am, to 4 pm back to 3 am, to 5 pm.... something is strange there. My time zone is set in my account settings too....
  9. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjstone57 View Post
    Both phones come up with a GPS Location screen and a GPS Fix button. When I press it on mine, I get various information like lat/log coordinates... On hers, I get a GPS error message. Kinda points to the problem. So how do I check if GPS is enabled on this beast?

    UPDATE: I found a pre tips and tricks document and was able to find the hidden location services icon. Indeed my wife's Pre didn't have GPS enabled. She's now getting coordinate info so I think the issue may be resolved. Off to the site to see if her account updated.

    UPDATE: Site is updating. Took a bit of time but it seems OK now.
    That's great news! Perhaps you can post where you found how to enable that feature so any other Bell customers won't run into the same issue

  10. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #270  
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    The times for the historical points are all way off... I drove to work this morning (its an hour commute) and I see several points right along the route I took. When I click them, the date is correct, but the times are all way wrong. They jump around too, from like 1 am to 3 am, to 4 pm back to 3 am, to 5 pm.... something is strange there. My time zone is set in my account settings too....
    Yeah, they are definitely off. I'm working to correct that today.

  11. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #271  
    Time zones have been corrected, but will only start showing on new uploads. Also, DST is not taken into account yet, but I'm working on it.

    Let me know if this is not working for anyone.

  12. #272  
    I will be driving about an hour to another city and then back today. This will be a pretty good test of the location history and time.
  13. TomServo's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #273  
    I searched the thread for the word "privacy" and didn't find it so I'll ask. How do you plan to protect our privacy? Who has access to the location information and for what reasons? Exactly what information are you saving and for how long?

    I like the "find my lost or stolen phone" concept, but this does smack of "big brother" watching me. There is certainly a potential for misuse of private location information. Granted I can turn off the service any time I want or just "not use it", but moreso I'm just curious about your policy.

    And a feature suggestion: Maybe you can allow modifications to the apps visibility and frequency of upload on the website, retrieved by the phone on its next upload, and instituted at that time.
  14. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #274  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    I searched the thread for the word "privacy" and didn't find it so I'll ask. How do you plan to protect our privacy? Who has access to the location information and for what reasons? Exactly what information are you saving and for how long?

    I like the "find my lost or stolen phone" concept, but this does smack of "big brother" watching me. There is certainly a potential for misuse of private location information. Granted I can turn off the service any time I want or just "not use it", but moreso I'm just curious about your policy.

    And a feature suggestion: Maybe you can allow modifications to the apps visibility and frequency of upload on the website, retrieved by the phone on its next upload, and instituted at that time.
    Those features are already built in. I'm just waiting to update the site with access to those controls. I have not found a feasible way to hide the app icon yet, but I've got that on the back burners.

    As for privacy: Definitely a huge concern for everyone. There are 3 layers of security one would need to pass to gain access to the master DB. Of course, anyone could bypass all of those if they had your username/password, so it's always important to keep those safe.

    Your last uploaded location is resident until another location upload occurs. At that point, the previous location becomes part of the historical data, which is stored with a timestamp. This is used to represent your previous locations on the site. As of right now, up to 10 historical points are kept in the master DB. This number will most likely move up to 20 in the near future.

    If you're worried about location information in the DB being given out to other persons/companies for profit or any other reason, that information is not for sale.

    Accounts on the site are anonymous. Your street address or phone number, real name, or anything else that uniquely identifies you are not required. Username, password, and email address are all that's asked for to register. This was by design, so that even if someone gained access to the master DB, it would be useless to them.
    Last edited by xluryan; 09/29/2009 at 04:27 PM.

  15. #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    I will be driving about an hour to another city and then back today. This will be a pretty good test of the location history and time.
    Looks good so far. Will update later. One note for now though, the lines connecting the dots are whacky. Not sure what the deal is with that.
  16. #276  
    Is it just me, or are recent history points being erased when a new point is created?
  17. #277  
    Hi,

    I noticed that the it said in the original post (or somewhere else, can't remember) that once the beta is lifted, a small service fee will be charged for operating the services and whatnot. It is understandable to try and generate revenue, but I don't suppose advertisements have been considered instead of charging a service fee, or perhaps have a free version, with advertisements on the website, and a premium service that requires a service fee? Just a thought.
  18. #278  
    Hi,

    I noticed that the it said in the original post (or somewhere else, can't remember) that once the beta is lifted, a small service fee will be charged for operating the services and whatnot. It is understandable to try and generate revenue, but I don't suppose advertisements have been considered instead of charging a service fee, or perhaps have a free version, with advertisements on the website, and a premium service that requires a service fee? Just a thought.
  19. xluryan's Avatar
    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #279  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Looks good so far. Will update later. One note for now though, the lines connecting the dots are whacky. Not sure what the deal is with that.
    Yeah, I'm working on that piece of it. Shouldn't be too long before the lines start to make sense...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Is it just me, or are recent history points being erased when a new point is created?
    Up to 10 historical points are allowed. (I'm planning on moving it up to 20 soon). When you generate another one, the last one disappears. Also, if one is logged in position A, then another is logged in position B, but then you go back to position A again, you will have two dots over each other, making it appear that you don't have 10 historical markers, when in fact you actually do, but they overlap.

    Quote Originally Posted by distrait View Post
    Hi,

    I noticed that the it said in the original post (or somewhere else, can't remember) that once the beta is lifted, a small service fee will be charged for operating the services and whatnot. It is understandable to try and generate revenue, but I don't suppose advertisements have been considered instead of charging a service fee, or perhaps have a free version, with advertisements on the website, and a premium service that requires a service fee? Just a thought.
    This has been considered, and may still be a possibility. I have yet to add ads to the site to test their revenue. If I do that and they generate enough, then a Standard account will definitely be free.

  20. dsw10482's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #280  
    i didnt read all the posts so i am not sure if it has been mentioned, when you login to your account, it shows your last log in as 2009 years ago

Posting Permissions