Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    yes my last update was pretty far off and it hasn't updated in 3 hours and i've definitely moved since then

ETA: it updated and it's around 50-100 feet off
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Yup. Been 2 hours since my last update, which seems to be a cell ID about 3/4 mile away.

EDIT: Ok, the phone must have heard me. Updated 6 minutes ago to the exact location. Still, that took too long. Something is up.
    My location is still at the cell tower. Which is about 5+ miles away. Used to be a few feet off. My google maps is showing where WiMP used to. Maybe I'll try uninstalling WiMP and reinstalling.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLApre View Post
    yes my last update was pretty far off and it hasn't updated in 3 hours and i've definitely moved since then

ETA: it updated and it's around 50-100 feet off
    How far off was it before you updated?
    So i have been using the app for over 24hrs now and have quite a few updates as i drive around all day for work. I also have this installed on my girlfriends phone as she does not drive around all day and sits in an office.

The locations of the GPS have been a little closer since the update on both Pre's. It still seems to update about every 20 mins but sometimes it fails to do so. This morning i got up and drove to 2 differant cities before i had an update and i was on the road for over and hour. Once i got the update it did seem to keep updating after that without a problem.

I have noticed that before on the website you would get 2 marks a green one and a red one. I know this has been explained and is google's doing.

The differance now is that the green dot is really almost spot on even with me inside my house but the red dot is showing a few miles away everytime. The green dot is going to my lat and long but the red dot seems to be defaulting to the city that i am in. When i click the red dot i get the city name and it is miles away from the green dot causing the map to be zoomed out quite far.

Before the red and green dot where almost on top of each other every update. I do not think the program changed this. I noticed a few posts back that you had changed the map on the website but it was too buggy so you switched back. This is when i started noticing the far apart bubbles.

My Pre almost always uses GPS to get a lock and is very close to where i am. When at my house inside i get a good signal sometimes and sometimes it is using cell data and puts me about 2 miles away. I know that this is not a problem with the program but with the sub par GPS antenna on the Pre.

Once tracking hits i will be able to tell how accurate this really is as most of the time when it updates i am on the road. It does also update when i am stopped inside someones home. Again once inside the signal is weak and can be off enough to give you false area the phone is in. But again once tracking and forced updates are here you will be able to force updates and follow a path th phone has travled and hopefully it will lead right up to a specific house or building giving you a much better idea of where it is.

So far a great program still and very fun to beta test. Thanks again for letting me in on helping out.

I will try to see if the new update has any affect on battery usage as now it is using more power to the gps to get a better lock.

-James
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    This sounds like a really great app with a lot of potential, and I was curious how it would compare to Sprint's Family Location service. I already subscribe to that service. For $5/month total I can track any of my 3 phones (one Blackberry Curve, two Palm Pres). The service provides a couple of web sites (a regular one and one optimized for mobile phones) from which you can view the location of any of the phones in your account. You can manually perform a locate on the web site, or use the scheduler functionality they provide to configure how frequently it automatically checks the location. However, the scheduler is very constrained. It only lets you configure one time slot at a time. So if you want it to check every 20 minutes you would have to enter 3 x 24 = 72 configuration entries to check every 20 minutes every 24 hours! (e.g., 8:00am, 8:20am, 8:40am, 9:00am, etc). You can configure it to email you the results (email includes a map). On the site you can view the phone on a map with satellite overlay.

Now when they display the phone's location they mark it with a circle and state the phone can be anywhere within the circle. I have seen accuracy anywhere from 10-20 feet up to as much as 100 yards. I presume this is all done through cell tower triangulation. There is no software to load onto the phone, hence no way for someone to disable it from the phone. They have absolutely no way of knowing you are tracking them. I have turned off GPS location services on the phone and it still works. It won't work if the phone is off (airplane mode or dead battery) or out of cell service range. It can take anywhere from 5 seconds to 60 seconds for it to get a fix. I assume it doesn't use any additional power than your phone would normally use.

I am really curious how the accuracy of Sprint's service would compare to the Where is My Pre app. Since the app uses GPS it should be much more accurate than the service. If I were a beta tester I would run concurrent tests to compare the two. Perhaps one of the lucky registered beta-testers could sign up for the service (there is a free 15-day trial) and let us know how they compare?

Here is the URL: https://sfl.sprintpcs.com/finder-spr...ily/signIn.htm
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    The beta should still be open, there aren't 2000 registered users yet.. try this app for yourself.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    2000? I thought it was 30. That's what I get for not reading past the first five pages.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Installed 9 hours ago and have yet to have an update? Validated Log In, set the Settings, "threw away" and still nothing?
    Never mind, I must have been really tired earlier. I set the "Wake Device" to On and it is now updating but it is off by more than a 100 yards...
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Just registered. Nice interface on both phone and site.

I just noticed a small bug on the site. The first time I log in it says "Last Login 2009 Years Ago". I had to log out and log back in to get it to say "Last Login 11 minutes ago"

Like the previous poster I observed the same behavior with respect to the green arrow / red bubble the very first time I used it (inside my home). The green arrow was dead accurate, and the red bubble was a few blocks away and had my town name pop up when I hovered over it. After logging out and logging back in to see if it would fix the small bug reported in my first paragraph above, the green arrow drifted way off the mark (6 blocks away).

I will test some more tomorrow when I am outdoors.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    Just registered. Nice interface on both phone and site.

I just noticed a small bug on the site. The first time I log in it says "Last Login 2009 Years Ago". I had to log out and log back in to get it to say "Last Login 11 minutes ago"

Like the previous poster I observed the same behavior with respect to the green arrow / red bubble the very first time I used it (inside my home). The green arrow was dead accurate, and the red bubble was a few blocks away and had my town name pop up when I hovered over it. After logging out and logging back in to see if it would fix the small bug reported in my first paragraph above, the green arrow drifted way off the mark (6 blocks away).

I will test some more tomorrow when I am outdoors.
    I'm starting to wonder if everyone's accuracy is off now because of the map I reverted back to. It is definitely placing the marker in the wrong locations; I'm experiencing this for myself as well.

I will try to have the new map up again by the end of the day today.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    New map is up. Should be working perfectly now. Can everyone make sure the map displays ok and report back their accuracy? If the map does not display ok, what browser are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by xluryan View Post
    New map is up. Should be working perfectly now. Can everyone make sure the map displays ok and report back their accuracy? If the map does not display ok, what browser are you using?

Hey xluryan, my map looks like its displaying correctly, but ever since the update, my location is the cell tower which is over 5 miles away. Before when I was in the same exact location, it showed me within 20 ft. Everything is the same on my phone. My GPS is on; Google maps shows me where this app used to show me. I'm using Firefox 3.5.3 for Mac. I've tried it outdoors with the same results. It looks like others are having better results, so I don't know what happened in my case.
    The new map is working for me, with an accurate location. However, it was last updated 10 minutes ago, but I have not moved in 10 years, at least.
    I don't know if this has anything to do with my accuracy problem, but a couple of times today while trying to validate my login to the app on my phone, i get an error trying to connect to the server. I just dismiss it and try again and it works.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    The new map is working for me, with an accurate location. However, it was last updated 10 minutes ago, but I have not moved in 10 years, at least.
    Haha, not sure if that was a typo... but I definitely laughed. If you meant that you haven't moved but it still updated, then here's what probably happened: The first update was in one location, but then the next GPS fix the phone got was a little different, so it updated again even though your phone has not physically moved.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean697 View Post
    I don't know if this has anything to do with my accuracy problem, but a couple of times today while trying to validate my login to the app on my phone, i get an error trying to connect to the server. I just dismiss it and try again and it works.
    Odd. Are you going over EVDO? Could be a poor signal issue causing the phone to not be able to hit the internet.

Perhaps I will send you a different version of the app to help diagnose accuracy issues. Look for a PM sometime later today.

Just installed it about 15 minutes ago. It's showing my location about 7.5 blocks due west away from my location. I don't have plans (yet) to go anywhere today. I'll check it later today.

Does this app in any way modify any files that have to be removed before the webOS update?
    Last edited by Ramer84015; 09/26/2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Ask question
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Since the update the location of my phone has been off by about 4-5 miles. Using GPS & always upload. It had my house dead on prior to the update.
    hey xluryan mine hasnt uploaded in like 2 days and i have the app in my phone set to active and everything...wuts going on?

Edit: and its also still showing im at my gf house....im at my house right now
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Haha, not sure if that was a typo... but I definitely laughed. If you meant that you haven't moved but it still updated, then here's what probably happened: The first update was in one location, but then the next GPS fix the phone got was a little different, so it updated again even though your phone has not physically moved.

Odd. Are you going over EVDO? Could be a poor signal issue causing the phone to not be able to hit the internet.

Perhaps I will send you a different version of the app to help diagnose accuracy issues. Look for a PM sometime later today.
    Haha whoops. I wrote that just after I woke up. Yeah, I meant to say hours. I figured that was the issue, but I was just to lazy to write on.

On another note, after I wrote that I left for a little over an hour, went about 10 minutes out, and the app failed to update until the minute I got back to my place. Very weird.