1.    #1  
    ***UPDATE COMING***

QuickSpell is my first app ever. I hope you enjoy it. The beta/demo is only 30 puzzles, and soon the full unlimited version will be released in the Official App Catalog. There are almost 16,000 6-letter words, and you'll definitely have a hard time getting through them all. Each word comes with a definition when you finish the puzzle, so you might even learn something!

Here are additional plans I have for the game:
    • Remove words that are already used in the same game (1 in 16,000 chance of a repeat, but better safe than sorry)
    • Letters in the puzzle will start to disappear as the levels get tougher, and the hardest levels will flash the puzzle and all the letters will disappear requiring you to spell the word on memory alone
    • Updated - Enable "continue" functionality in the game
    • Updated - Record high scores
    • Updated - Make the progress pill (timer) a button that will pause the game when pushed
    • Incorporate words in a 'depot' instead of an array (PLEASE HELP IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE - can't get depot to work for some reason! - thanks in advance)
    • Re-randomize letters in board after each button push (peripheral vision helps if they are static) for tougher levels

I have also incorporated auto-pausing when another app is opened (i.e. answer a phone call), options to allow for changing levels and the timer speed, and better instructions. PLEASE read the instructions. The game is a little different than anything you might have played. Also cleaned up the icons.

QuickSpell is part of QuickSuite which will include:

QuickSpell - stated above

QuickSolve - a math puzzle game very similar to QuickSpell

QuickTrace - a simon-style, follow-the-leader game

QuickMazes - a 3D maze game that you swipe your way through - in beta, not ready for release

QuickWhack - a whack-a-mole style game

Please remember to rate the app. Any feedback is much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shanerooni; 10/25/2009 at 09:00 PM.
    ok when will it be posted. Sounds like a great app.
    looks really good, especially for a first app. keep up the great work.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    ok when will it be posted. Sounds like a great app.
    on the developer's side, it looks like my app is the only one in queue to be approved - so hopefully soon! (come on mods!!! )
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    looks really good, especially for a first app. keep up the great work.
    thanks! i'm a lot further along than what i've put out for review, but i definitely need feedback on what people like/don't like and some help getting my data stored in depot. hopefully it'll be 100% ready in the coming weeks for the full version.

are you one of the approving mods for the apps to be published? do they go directly into filecoaster simultaneous to being published on precentral?

thanks!
    No, sorry I'm not involved in the app department.... but they're usually very quick with releasing them.
    You might need to check your QuickSpell name against a trademark database. Mobi-Systems.com uses that same name for a Palm Os spelling correcting program.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Looks good, can't wait to try it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson View Post
    You might need to check your QuickSpell name against a trademark database. Mobi-Systems.com uses that same name for a Palm Os spelling correcting program.
    Thanks DHAnderson! I didn't even think about the name. Palm OS, though, has Quick CheckSpell so I should be okay there. I'd be interested in seeing if there is a trademark different if you do and do not have a space in the name i.e. QuickSpell vs. Quick Spell.

Thanks again for the heads up!
    Might have been nice to get a mention or thanks (or asked) on this, since it appears you basically used my code (with a few renamed variables) and graphics from Lights Out as your base for not only this app but your "QuickSolve" app as well.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    Might have been nice to get a mention or thanks (or asked) on this, since it appears you basically used my code (with a few renamed variables) and graphics from Lights Out as your base for not only this app but your "QuickSolve" app as well.
    believe me - all help is appreciated! i haven't put together the 'thanks' scene yet since i also need to thank my wife for logic help and debugging, and a few friends for doing some testing for me. i just wanted to get it out there and get some feedback to finish it up.

it is going to change more away from the Lights Out looks (disable buttons instead of changing color, etc.). you will certainly get a shout out for the PM and code help, but let me know if you want me to change it more so it's a little more original.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    where can I get the full version of quickspell?
    Few things I noticed.

• Words repeat very often. Had several 3 or 4 times while playing through once. Maybe random sort word list instead of randomly picking?
    • If a letter is to be hit twice - that can be easily done by hitting same button in search field twice. Maybe put in a check if button is already pressed?

Good app nonetheless
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by SensorMan View Post
    Few things I noticed.

• Words repeat very often. Had several 3 or 4 times while playing through once. Maybe random sort word list instead of randomly picking?
    • If a letter is to be hit twice - that can be easily done by hitting same button in search field twice. Maybe put in a check if button is already pressed?

Good app nonetheless
    Thanks! I did put in the instructions that you could reuse letters. It's just natural to want to hit the first letter you see, so I figured it wouldn't make a heap of difference over the longhaul.

I have about 570 words and definitions in the full version, so odds are you won't hit the same twice within the same game. I do have a few more things to make it harder by starting to make the last few letters slowly disappear where the hardest level will flash the 6 letter then they all disappear and you have to type it out from memory. Also I want to re-randomize the 25 buttons' letters each time you hit a new letter, that way you can't use your peripheral vision to hunt down the next letter or two.

I also thought about putting in some other languages to broaden my cultural awareness.
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    I love the quickspell. Some time it repeat the same word three times.

Can you have a button to launch wikipedia or infopedia?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by trieuro View Post
    I love the quickspell. Some time it repeat the same word three times.

Can you have a button to launch wikipedia or infopedia?
    Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoy it. Since it's a demo I only have 30 words and 30 levels, so randomly choosing a word will definitely make it likely to get repeats. The full version will have more than enough to keep you busy, and you might not ever get the same word twice.

I love the idea of launching wikipedia. I'll definitely throw that in with the definition and resubmit with more words so you get less repeats.

thanks again!
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix