Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Official support and discussion thread for Battery Saver:

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/battery-saver

Battery Saver automatically turns on Airplane mode each night at your scheduled time. This will not only extend your battery life but give your a quiet night's rest free from phone calls, messaging, and email alerts.

Then each morning Battery Saver turns the Airplane mode off, letting the world back into your life. You don't need to keep the card open. After launching it once, the timer will keep working until you reboot the pre.

The On/Off switch at the top allows you to turn off battery saver. On means it will turn airplane mode on and off; Off means it will no longer do that.

Right now, there is no validation of the airplane mode on and off times so if you set the "Turn on Airplane mode" to be before "Turn off Airplane mode" it will not do anything useful.

Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/22/2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: add verbiage from Homebrew page and add other benefits
    wow no one wants to talk about it dieter lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I'm afraid to download it.
    Nice utility but I would love to see a way to turn on the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth at set times.
    e.g. So once I get to work it could turn my Bluetooth off as I am no longer in the car.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Does the app have to remain open in a card to work...or once set it can be closed?
    What's the possibility of fleshing this out into a full profile manager?

That would include being able to turn on and off the different radios and set the volume:
    * during set times for certain days of the week
    * using location
    * using status set in the calendar
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Are you all not getting on this tip?!? This is a handy little app.

Unless you like being awaken by text alerts etc @ inappropriate hours Battery Saver is perfect. I know I don't want to be bothered while I'm sleeping from xx:xx to xx:xx so why not let my phone go to "sleep" as well from the world. Whatever texts you miss while in Airplane mode will arrive shortly after your designated time taps you back into EVDO / phone service and will be 'time stamped' for your own knowledge of when msgs were sent to you. Perfect!

Not owning a Touchstone this works really well for me. I always charged up to 100% and then unplugged before crashing out but would wake up to approx 90-93% just from standby. (I blame Gmail for this) However now having my Pre automatically be in Airplane mode for about 6 or 7 hours at night has me waking up to 100%. Good way to start the day ya?.

No fussing with turning off or down alert sounds at night. Just remember that it's activated, and NO you don't have to have it running in the background to work, so if you have a late night or an extra early morning that you should be aware of the airplane icon and switch back on.

Yes more user friendly options would be nice but a great start with potential.. .
    But, what if your Mom is trying to call you at 3am to tell you you turtle died?
    Quote Originally Posted by azkevman View Post
    Does the app have to remain open in a card to work...or once set it can be closed?
    You don't need to keep the card open. After launching it once, the timer will keep working until you reboot your pre.

Right now, it doesn't check for invalid on/off settings so if you set the "Turn on Airplane mode" time to be later than the "Turn off Airplane mode" time, it will happily do that for you. ("That" being it will turn off airplane mode even though it is already off and same for turning on airplane mode.)
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman821 View Post
    I put the source in public domain so anyone can use it and build on it however they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    But, what if your Mom is trying to call you at 3am to tell you you turtle died?
    So your turtle will haunt you for a few hours. Next time you'll know to feed him before letting mom babysit.
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman821 View Post

That would include being able to turn on and off the different radios and set the volume:
    * during set times for certain days of the week
    * using location
    * using status set in the calendar
    This is a very useful app, just not for me: I need to have my phone ON for emergency reasons - having kids does that.

However, being able to setup something VERY similar that can manipulate settings that affect battery life (would be awesome to have time dependent screen brightness, since an ambient light detector isnt implemented) based upon time/location/charge status, and can run in a dashboard so it can be quickly called upon to 'manually' swap profiles (ie: when I ride my motorcycle to work rather than take the car, and so dont have a need for BT - until I fab that BT helmet setup).

With the speed at which people are producing apps, it wont take long before this happens.
    Yeah, this one scares me a little. I don't have a land phone, so this is it for me -- any emergency calls come through this one. I'd love to shut off all but phone -- alerts, etc., but I'd be nervous about shutting off the phone for any extended period of time. As much as I hate late night calls -- they scare me to death.
    Hmmm... (thinking out loud)... what about shutting off EVDO, WiFi, BT, and close any running apps? All selectable options of course.

That would minimize power usage for an "idle" phone and still leave you with a 1x connection for that call about the dead turtle.
    Quote Originally Posted by azkevman View Post
    After testing, it seems you have leave the card open, otherwise nothing happens
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I have downloaded this 3 times. Tried with card open / closed. Restarted Pre & tried again with card open and closed. Checked to make sure I had picked the times correctly each time.
    My phone doesn't go it airplane mode - period.
    Help?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    Hmmm... (thinking out loud)... what about shutting off EVDO, WiFi, BT, and close any running apps? All selectable options of course.

That would minimize power usage for an "idle" phone and still leave you with a 1x connection for that call about the dead turtle.
    1.2 will take care of the EVDO one.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolimini View Post
    I have downloaded this 3 times. Tried with card open / closed. Restarted Pre & tried again with card open and closed. Checked to make sure I had picked the times correctly each time.
    Help?
    Did you click the Battery Saver switch at the top to ON?

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolimini View Post
    Help?
    I am having the same problem. I set the time for 1:10am and checked at 1:20am with the card open and the switch on. I did not see the airplane mode indicator.
    I tried rebooting and trying again. still nothing.

the times were from 1:10am to 6am.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Me likey. Suggest not putting in Airplane mode if the Pre is charging.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast