webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > ShareTheCosts
ShareTheCosts

Old 09/29/2009, 10:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

Great ap. I go to several NASCAR Races a year with a few buddies. Some buy camping spots, some buy gas, some buy groceries, etc. I have been keeping up with it on a spreadsheet and it is a hassle. This will solve a lot of problems.
mikeppdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2009, 02:01 AM   #22 (permalink)

Oh come on, you guys almost make me blush :-)
Thanks for the feedback, and there's still some things to come for this app!
Old 09/30/2009, 08:54 AM   #23 (permalink)

Great app and glad to see a newer version. BUT, the upgrade erased my saved STC data which is a bit of a problem.

Keep up the good work. Hopefully the next upgrade wont wipe everything.
atoy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2009, 09:49 AM   #24 (permalink)

atoy, sorry to hear that! I spent quite some time to ensure this does not happen, but there's always a great number of unknowns... I'm fully aware of this being a problem and I'm always trying to maintain compatibility.
Old 09/30/2009, 10:44 AM   #25 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply and I understand. I hope my post didn't come across as sarcasm cause that wasn't my intent.

I take a lot of trips with friends and we like to be fair with our shared costs. Your app really makes that a non-issue now. Keep up the good work.
Old 09/30/2009, 04:30 PM   #26 (permalink)

Hey, I love the app. I'm trying it now for a business project where my partner and I agreed to share the expenses. I have a few suggestions, if you don't mind...

1) I think it would be helpful to say what % someone "benefits" since it may not be half or equal splits.

2) When you click on the field to put in the amount, can you set it as if it's locked the orange key? If you start writing numbers without the orange key, nothing comes up since you can't put letters in that field.

3) I think the wording could be cleaned up a little. I think these are an awkward sentences: "This means that Deb paid more than they profited. The others owe them $___." I'm not a they or them.

Why not have it say, "Deb has paid more than the others by $____." Ultimately, nobody's really "profiting." It's about splitting, and getting things back to even. So the whole "profiteer" doesn't even seem right, especially given the definition of the word. Profiteer Definition | Definition of Profiteer at Dictionary.com

Thanks, and I can't wait for future versions!
debbiepre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2009, 04:58 PM   #27 (permalink)

@atoy: don't worry :-)

@deb: 1) I'm working on a solution to enable manually entering amounts. However it's quite an issue to find a solution that's comprehensive as well as easy to use... But you can expect that for sure (just maybe not with percentages, but absolute amounts).

2) I was wondering whether somebody would complain about that ;-)
I don't have pre myself yet, so I never cared, and I can't really test it either. But I'll try, should be easy.

3) Hmmmm, smart way to formulate that! I'm a little bit uncomfortable with the whole "they/them", too, but I thought it was widely accepted in english...
And I wasn't aware that "profiteer" has such a strong co-notation, either. The question is, then: How to call the people profiting from a payment?

Thanks for the very valuable input!
Old 09/30/2009, 05:30 PM   #28 (permalink)

hm, about 2): well that's _really_ easy :-) you'll have your one-liner in no time, i.e. in the very next release :-)
Old 09/30/2009, 05:47 PM   #29 (permalink)

I think the word you were looking for might be beneficiary or beneficiaries? But still, that's a little high and mightly for what the app does.

I'd probably just put a headline like "% Responsibility For This Payment." I think that makes sense. If I pay $1000 for something, and my partner "owes" 50%, then I'm holding him 50% responsible for that money at some point.

Oh another idea I meant to add was about the payment. Sometimes, people chip in on payments but not in the amount that they are "responsible."

Let's say I mean to pay for half a dinner, but don't have enough cash on me. The dinner is $100, and my partner ends up putting in $80. He paid $80 and I paid $20, but I want the system to know that we intended to be 50/50 on responsibility. Then, the system would say that I was off by $30 to him.

Thanks again!
Old 10/01/2009, 02:47 AM   #30 (permalink)

Well, it must stay easy to understand - the responsability-wording is imho a little bit too complex. Beneficiaries might be an option...
Also, the ability to pay things "together" is something i specifically decided against for simplicity-of-use reasons. If you absolutely have to split a payment (and, with this app, the only reason is shortage of dough ;-)), then just enter two payments.
Old 10/01/2009, 09:16 AM   #31 (permalink)

I agree that it has to be easy to understand. People don't read directions, and it needs to be a no-brainer! That's why I'm making these suggestions... I think we can make sentences and concepts shorter and more colloquial.

As for entering two payments, well, that would run against simplicity-of-use. If I wanted to do this in a bulky way, I'd make a spreadsheet and write some formulae. But since you have this built, and it seems so close to fantastic, I thought I'd try to nudge it to perfection.

Thanks.
Old 10/02/2009, 06:27 AM   #32 (permalink)

It's just that I think it's easier to enter two payments than having two (possibly quite large) lists of users and amounts on the screen, for a use case that can be reduced to a minimum by using this app :-)

And, really, thank you for your input - I'm trying to implement as much as possible, to make the app _really_ good and useful.
Old 10/07/2009, 04:20 PM   #33 (permalink)

Thanks for writing this app. It's very handy. After testing it out I started thinking along the same lines as un_designer with regard to the totals and balances. My friends and I go on trips every few months. One person usually pays for all the gas, another for the food, someone else might get snacks, etc. While the current individual balance sheets are great, a summary chart would really be helpful to work out who owes who what.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks again!
OpenTrackRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2009, 12:43 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer View Post
Thanks for writing this app. It's very handy. After testing it out I started thinking along the same lines as un_designer with regard to the totals and balances. My friends and I go on trips every few months. One person usually pays for all the gas, another for the food, someone else might get snacks, etc. While the current individual balance sheets are great, a summary chart would really be helpful to work out who owes who what.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks again!
Agreed. A summary sheet would be a nice option. I wouldn't mind having both. There are just some scenarios where it would come in handy.
Old 10/09/2009, 04:15 AM   #35 (permalink)

Alright, then I'll do that.

Have you guys had the chance to use the "manual amount" yet? Is it intuitive/non-confusing? :-)
Old 10/09/2009, 01:22 PM   #36 (permalink)

By manual amount do you mean the current individual balance screens? Yes, they make perfect sense but it's the closeout calculations that are always a problem for things like this.

I'm looking at the sample trip I created to test out the app... Dave owes 43, Jeff is owed 10, Mike is owed 84, Stacy owes 34 and Kurt owes 33. It's not really clear who pays who what. Putting the deltas into a kitty fund and then showing who owes or is owed would be much clearer I think.

Thanks again for the app and for being so responsive!
OpenTrackRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2009, 08:26 AM   #37 (permalink)

Good news, everyone!

Version 0.3.0
* Added a balance overview
* Added a "Palmely" help-scene
* Made everything localizable, and....
* Added ze german translation

Thanks for all your feedback!
Old 10/14/2009, 10:06 AM   #38 (permalink)

hi, I really like this app as well but am too having a tough time trying to explain the balance-settling process. I believe it's because the instructions are written in a passive sentence construction. This would make it clearer and more actionable:

Balance Overview screen: Those with a negative balance, please put that amount into the common pot. Those with a positive balance, please take that amount from the common pot.

Balance for "John Doe" screen: "John Doe" please put/take $XX.XX into/from the pot.
un_designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2009, 04:24 PM   #39 (permalink)

Hm, yes, maybe that would help...
More difficult topic than I had thought, obviously :-)
Old 10/15/2009, 02:12 PM   #40 (permalink)

Should also add abilities to
1. Add non-Contact people
2. Delete people
imgeorgelin is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0