Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    v0.5.0 has now been posted. Should be available in Filecoaster and Preware shortly.

New in this version:

* Revamped UI and Icons (looks like index cards)
    * Upload Flash Card Sets to your online tools account
    * If in plain text, puts in line breaks and resizes text properly in the practice area
    * Tweaked the card colors (should be better)
    * Finished Third Card implementation
    * Random Card now pulls better to get non-viewed cards
    * LITE version implementation (although not activated here)
    * Lots of behind the scenes cleanup/improvements
    * Updated the Online Downloads for better UI and updated the search
    * Fixed 'loading' spinner in the My Online Sets
    * Changed the default Sets to include an "Spanish: In La Casa" set

Give her a whirl and let me know what you think of the new UI. I debated the pink, but my goal was to make it look more like an index card. You be the judge...
    Maybe you already know this but random stills pulls already viewed cards.

Would love to see resizing on the answer side too. The resizing isn't perfect but it's not bad.

Maybe you can make a preference option for lines off or on.
  2.    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygodzilla View Post
    Maybe you already know this but random stills pulls already viewed cards.

Would love to see resizing on the answer side too. The resizing isn't perfect but it's not bad.

Maybe you can make a preference option for lines off or on.
    Speedy,

The random is better -- but not perfect. It's a weighted method to increase the likelyhood of cards that are less viewed be pulled up. I hope to tweak this some more, but it's hard with no tools for SQL in the SDK.

The answer side is resized as well actually, and the third card. If a card is using HTML for display however, it will not do any resizing. I need to remove the basic resizing HTML from the first couple hundred sets, as that will prevent the resizing in this version. You would have to reinstall the set however.
    There's a bug in the new version where reverse mode will go from the answer to the third card, even if it's blank. I love this app, but unfortunately that broke my studying method. Keep up the great work and I'd love to pay for this some day!
  4.    #124  
    Aww snap! You are right. I'll get this fixed right away. It will be in the app catalog, just as soon as possible. Thank you!
  5.    #125  
    @bigolblob

Thank you for the notice. This has been fixed. A couple other 'tweaks' as well to make the online downloads always work. They were getting large and a few would just NOT load. This has been fixed.
    Took me a while to figure this out, but this is a great tool! Best program out there for me to use for studying and constantly reviewing procedures for work.

Great job, and a good learning experience.

Best app out there! Great support and patience from developer.

John
  7.    #127  
    John,

Thank you. If you could, can you detail out what was hard to figure out? If it is something I can easily fix for others, I would love to incorporate the feedback. Thank you again.
    spdsktr...

This looks like a great program that you have created for our Pre's. Now if I could just figure out how to import some flash cards to the online tool you have set up. The problem I am having is with formatting. I am clueless as to how this is all supposed to work.

I have some flashcards on this website called Mindpal WordPal Vocabulary Builder Program for the SAT and GRE

I have exported them to my computer as a *.txt file and renamed to *.csv. I am able to open them up in OpenOffice Spreadsheet (I use Linux). Linux is not the problem though. When I open this file up in Spreadsheet, I have numerous rows and columns. When I uploaded this to your online tool and looked at the flashcards in the "Edit" section. My Questions and Answers were reversed. And they were all split up on different cards.

So many of the questions and answers have been spread out over numerous cards with a few words in each one. I believe the export from the Mindpal is the culprit. Either that or when I open in Spreadsheet it is changing the format.

I may need to start fresh on one of the websites that you recommend for flashcards. Or learn how to create it in Spreadsheet?

What do you recommend? Thanks, Mike
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by WildSioux View Post
    spdsktr...

This looks like a great program that you have created for our Pre's. Now if I could just figure out how to import some flash cards to the online tool you have set up. The problem I am having is with formatting. I am clueless as to how this is all supposed to work.

I have some flashcards on this website called Mindpal WordPal Vocabulary Builder Program for the SAT and GRE

I have exported them to my computer as a *.txt file and renamed to *.csv. I am able to open them up in OpenOffice Spreadsheet (I use Linux). Linux is not the problem though. When I open this file up in Spreadsheet, I have numerous rows and columns. When I uploaded this to your online tool and looked at the flashcards in the "Edit" section. My Questions and Answers were reversed. And they were all split up on different cards.

So many of the questions and answers have been spread out over numerous cards with a few words in each one. I believe the export from the Mindpal is the culprit. Either that or when I open in Spreadsheet it is changing the format.

I may need to start fresh on one of the websites that you recommend for flashcards. Or learn how to create it in Spreadsheet?

What do you recommend? Thanks, Mike
    WildSioux,

I think it is just a matter of format. When you go into the import from CSV section, there is a piece at the bottom that talks about format. You can even download a sample CSV file. What you will have to do is modify the files that you have to follow this specific format. It's essentially just putting the question in column 1, answer in column 2, hint in column 3, etc. I think the format you have has answer, then question, with maybe some weird formatting.

I have not heard of this format before, but I want to support as many as I can. Can you email me the file you received from this site so I can take a closer look into it?

Thank you!
    ^^ @spdsktr: Email has been sent with 2 files. Thank you
    I'm very psyched about this. Going to try my hand at doing up a set for the Hebrew class I'm taking. I'll use my full-featured Hebrew word processing app to create the content, then turn it into images to get around Pre's refusal to support Hebrew.

I'm thinking 2-sided cards: one side with an image of the verb's 3-letter root; the flip side with the basic conjugation.

BTW -- where can I find the necessary spec's? You said, "... Images can be inserted as well, but needs to be small ...."
    I need something a little more specific. Do you mean "weight," like file size, or "area" like dimension in pixels?

If it works out OK, anybody want me to share?
    Again thanks for developing this!
  12.    #132  
    @Idea.Diva,

The specs for images is actually a limit on both size and dimensions. Size, because they are downloaded by the phone when displayed. Dimensions to fit within the card area itself. I have more detailed out here: FlashCards: How To

Thank you for your dedication. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.
    Thanks again spdsktr -- I'll keep you posted .... Everything looks pretty straight forward. All I have to do now is find some spare time ....
  14.    #134  
    Yes, it does take some time. FYI -- There are a few new features in the Online Tools.

1.) Lesson Plans -- create lessons for your flash card set
    2.) Auto Lesson Creation -- automated method for creating and assigning cards to lessons. Choose how many lesson you want, or how many cards per lesson (and it calculates # lessons to create). It will then automatically create everything for you. Support for this will be in v2.0 of FlashCards, but the Online Tools are being developed ahead of time.
    3.) Automated Multiple Choice Creator -- will create multiple choice options FOR you. Uses other cards from your set for the incorrect answers.
    4.) Tags -- now you can add tags to your cards. Support for this will be in v2.0 of FlashCards, but the Online Tools are being developed ahead of time.

Let me know what you think.

Also, what kind of games would you like to see? I am imagining a Trivia Pursuit type game. Choose from the sets you have installed to use as a base, multiple players, etc.

I am also thinking about an actual testing phase to the app based on the multiple choice.

Anything else you guys can think of to add? All the real feedback seems to have dried up. Did I get everything in this or the next version you could think of?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    spdsktr, first off let me say thanks for the great app!

I've experienced a bug today after downloading similar to a previous bug.

When creating a set of cards every time I added a new card, it seemed to save. I would hit the return key to skip to the "Answer" section to input the answer for the card, then tap the "save" button. When I exited out of my new card set, and back to the main screen with all of the card sets, it had created a new set of cards for each time I hit the return key (essentially twice for each card I created). I had to delete 20+ card sets off the main page which all indicated they had 0 cards in each set. This also deleted the set I thought I'd created, as all the cards in the set were empty when I touched on them. No question, no answer. Clicking an arrow to go to the next card brought up a "Error: No card could be found" window.

I was able to recreate the set of cards, but I had to make sure I was using the touch screen to move from the Question box to the Answer Box.

BTW, I downloaded today via Preware, so I have the latest version.

The card set I created is for the Series 6 Financial Licensing Exam. If anyone would like me to share it, I will.
  16.    #136  
    @Change,

Can you run a test for me? Try adding a new card, and using the enter key after entering question, and then answer. Keep it up a few times and then count how many times it adds it. I think this is where it is happening -- in the enter key listener.

Thank you for the comments and report -- much appreciated!
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    thanks for this wonderful program. havent really used it too much. but just today i made my first complete flash card set. I am using frontpage as an html editing program and then copy/paste into the answer box. not sure if its possible, but it would be nice if the answer box could display faithfully on the flashcard.

the main thing to take from this is i memorized a whole lecture in 15 minutes!! i will try playing with it more today and give you my feedback after longer usage.

edit: tested auto multiple choice. problem with the longer cards, when they're put into multiple choice format. the display is too large for the pre screen so whats happening to me is the i cant see answer response to a and b b/c there isnt a way to finger flick-scroll up or down.
    Last edited by joejoe1; 10/13/2009 at 05:04 PM.
  18.    #138  
    @joejoe1,

When you say 'display it faithfully', what do you mean? If you have HTML in the card, it does no processing to it of any kind in the practice area. It does have a base font-size, but other than this, there is no changes.

But 15 minutes, for an entire lecture? You do not need flashcards!

I am seeing the same result with the auto multiple choice options. This was primarily designed for languages and short answer sets. So... guess the multiple choice section will need more tweaks in v2.0. Right now it is using and alert box for the display (the idea was to see the card in the background). Will have to do another scene probably in order to handle this and allow for unlimited vertical scrolling. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    But 15 minutes, for an entire lecture? You do not need flash cards!
    I need more! i can never be THAT efficient on my own.

I have zero programming experience and i dont know how to describe what im getting at. i was trying to say it would be convenient if the answer's box in online tools was a mini-html editor. kind of like how in these forums, i can bullet, number, change font etc. it would do away with the need for an external html editor. im not sure if its even possible to do that but i did want to ask.

as for multiple choice i love that idea and im glad you came up with it. and it would make sense that its made for shorter flashcards
  20.    #140  
    joe,

I think I get it now. You want an actual HTML style editor IN the Online Tools when creating/editing flash cards? That way you do not have to copy and paste from Frontpage. Does that sound more in line with what you are thinking?

I can do it. I have some great editor's readily available, but I will have to find a much more simplistic one. Will not have all possible HTML features, but would still have a good number of them. Good idea.
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast